PDA

View Full Version : New Polo GTI guy

pologtiguy
19-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Hello all,

I just picked up my first ever VW on the 20th of Nov, 2006, a white polo gti and so far I love it but sooner or later I will have to change some things as I dont like the lack of feel in the steering and I would also like some more power.
The power will come from a chip mod as I can see from this forum that they do the job. But as for the feel through the wheel I dont know. the car sits quite flat around corners but lacks feel and has a lot of initial softness. I am comparing it to my last car, a peugeot 205 gti which had amazing handling. One other thing, for handling would anyone know if 18 inch wheels with one size up in tyre size (not width) would be ok, the stock set reads 110kph when i am really only doing 102 and the dealer in Adelaide told me that this may be due to the fact that you can get larger weel/tyre sets over seas.

Thanks all,

Karl

Timbo
19-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Welcome mate, glad you enjoy the car.

Yes, the steering is a little soft and there's not much alignment adjustment you can do.

As for wheels/tyres, AFAIK 17"*7.5" is the largest/widest rim you can go to, and you need to take care on the offset. In any case, the widest tyre you can fit is ...a 205. There's not much clearance up front :(

Glide_GTI
19-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Huge wheels looks pretty stupid imo on the pogo. But each to their own.
Welcome though, enjoy the car, get chipped :)

FL00DY
19-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Huge wheels looks pretty stupid imo on the pogo. But each to their own.
Welcome though, enjoy the car, get chipped :)Don't just get it chipped, get it GIACed :D

I love my handling, but I came from a 95 Commodore, so thats enough said.

But yeh get it GIACed :D

Glide_GTI
20-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Don't just get it chipped, get it GIACed :D

I love my handling, but I came from a 95 Commodore, so thats enough said.

But yeh get it GIACed :D

did seb do you yet?

saba
21-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Timbo u definately sure that its not possible to install 18" rims on the polo gti??

i hope its possible...

Timbo
22-01-2007, 06:35 AM
There *may* be a set of wheels out there that work, but I doubt it. Let us know if you find them ;) The bigger issue is that no matter what size you go to above 16", you will still be restricted to 205 width tyres...so, what's the point :? :confused: :???: