PDA

View Full Version : water restrictions NSW,washing our vdubs

gpk_gti
19-01-2007, 09:38 AM
hey guys,
anyone got any ideas or suggestions whats going to happen to car washes when the restrictions are raised here in sydney(not that I use them)? how are we going to wash our beloved vdubs? anyone using the meguirs/mothers etc waterless stuff? any suggestions would be great as im sure the restrictions will be raised shortly.:(

syncro
19-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I've ordered a 4kilolitre rainwater tank.

GoLfMan
19-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I've ordered a 4kilolitre rainwater tank.
thats a good move... we have a 2100ltr tank and even with minimal rain its about 1/2 full... i think we need another one, the more water catchment the better i say

BL33SU
19-01-2007, 10:04 AM
what water ristrictions n:

gpk_gti
19-01-2007, 12:08 PM
ok,good idea.what happens if you dont have a tank or it doesnt rain? :?
sydney catchment is at 35%,8 more weeks and 30% and possible more restrictions

GoLfMan
19-01-2007, 12:13 PM
ok,good idea.what happens if you dont have a tank or it doesnt rain? :?
sydney catchment is at 35%,8 more weeks and 30% and possible more restrictions
better havin a tank just in case it does ;)

DubSteve
19-01-2007, 03:10 PM
hey guys,
anyone got any ideas or suggestions whats going to happen to car washes when the restrictions are raised here in sydney(not that I use them)? how are we going to wash our beloved vdubs? anyone using the meguirs/mothers etc waterless stuff? any suggestions would be great as im sure the restrictions will be raised shortly.:(

Go to Car lovers car wash and do it there thats where I wash my car awesome and the gurny works a treat on the wheels that the vr6 has.

gpk_gti
19-01-2007, 03:16 PM
can you use your own sponge and car wash at those places?
once I went to a crystal style car wash(hand wash) and I watched as they dropped the sponge on the ground and then continued to wash the car! FREE SWIRL MARKS:D .

my mate with the black TT went through a automatic wash and all I remember is his tears ! It took me 3 hours to hand polish all the swirl marks off!!

DubSteve
19-01-2007, 03:36 PM
my mate with the black TT went through a automatic wash and all I remember is his tears ! It took me 3 hours to hand polish all the swirl marks off!!

Nah this one is on Canterbury Rd and you wash the car yourself. You just get charged for the water that you use. Its got on the gurny Degreaser, Soapy Water, Rinse Water and also Clear coat pretector:D and the vacuum that you can use awesome gets everything out. You can also buy Jack black and other stuff there to but there pricey.

gpk_gti
19-01-2007, 03:40 PM
yeah I know where it is,,, next to the NEW versace ausssie best tyres(heheh). is the sponge part of the gernie?? or take your own??

Matty R
19-01-2007, 04:01 PM
we are on level 4 restrictions up here on the central coast so i go to car lovers. I wouldnt recomend using their brush. I take my own sponge and use the suds that come out of the brush ( ie hold the brush over the car, put suds all over it ,then use my sponge ) I have found this to work really well.

One thing to remember is to give it a really good chamois cause their water can leave dirty marks on the paint if it dries.

DubSteve
19-01-2007, 05:07 PM
yeah I know where it is,,, next to the NEW versace ausssie best tyres(heheh). is the sponge part of the gernie?? or take your own??

They have a brush and sometimes its alright, I wash it out before I use it sometimes. You can use the sponge but I recommend you use it during the night time when it is dead because the owner gets the 'poos' because you take to long. But its better during the night because you can take your time.

DUBING
19-01-2007, 07:38 PM
we have bore water with a pump, it comes out crystal clean...:) only thing Im missing now is a dub... :rolleyes:

peter_j_g
19-01-2007, 08:52 PM
In Sydney I had a high pressure cleaner (karcher) and I made up a short length of garden hose (about 2m). In the side near the bottom of a 20 litre bucket I fitted a hose connection, and connected the pressure cleaner to the bucket.

One fill of the bucket was enough to wash & rinse using the high pressure cleaner. It's legal with the current water restrictions!

Golf Loon
19-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Thats a great solution Peter JG. :D

I have just had new concrete laid, which needs hosing and the concreter has a water exemption cert. I assume this extended to washing dubs :D

gpk_gti
20-01-2007, 12:03 AM
In Sydney I had a high pressure cleaner (karcher) and I made up a short length of garden hose (about 2m). In the side near the bottom of a 20 litre bucket I fitted a hose connection, and connected the pressure cleaner to the bucket.

One fill of the bucket was enough to wash & rinse using the high pressure cleaner. It's legal with the current water restrictions!
now thats a idea I was looking for!!!!!:D :D
problem solved!! what you doing in Finland??any water restrictions therej: ??

peter_j_g
20-01-2007, 05:15 AM
No water restrictions here - it's rained non-stop for 2 months, just turning to snow today! How I miss the sunshine!

Rgds, Peter

syncro
20-01-2007, 05:24 AM
40 degrees in Sydney this weekend.

WEDEL.1
20-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Meguiars sell a 15 litre bucket with the hole (and connectors?) for $20. This is what I am planning to buy, as we have water restrictions (level 3) here in Adelaide. Just have to make sure my Karcher will work off this, or buy a new one that will. I can then use rainwater, filtered water or distilled water. I'm told it makes a great differance using other than tap water.

Maris

vinderliker
20-01-2007, 03:47 PM
We have stage 3 water restrictions here in the ACT. No washing of cars except at those car wash places that recycle their water. It cost around $10 to give the Little Beastie a good wash.

srbsta
22-01-2007, 07:58 PM
i have 4 self washing bays in my area i pick a different one every week lol damn water restrictions :(

william
22-01-2007, 08:15 PM
i wouldnt use that non water use car wash stuff ive heard its bad for paint plus expensive buy youself a karcher pressure cleaner and park your car in the back yard thats what i do

gpk_gti
22-01-2007, 10:40 PM
i wouldnt use that non water use car wash stuff ive heard its bad for paint plus expensive buy youself a karcher pressure cleaner and park your car in the back yard thats what i do
HA,thats why all the waterpatrol are around earlwood!!! j:

ausgolfer
23-01-2007, 02:50 PM
At all the self wash places I've been to they have strict instructions on not allowing you to use a bucket and or your own sponge in the bays. They all have video camera surveillance also, I guess if there's repeat offenders of bucket washing you could get dobbed in, or they might call your parentsj: .
I just give the bubble brush a good blast with the hose to clear out any rubbish before I put it on the car.

gpk_gti
23-01-2007, 08:53 PM
hehhehehee:D my parents couldnt give a F^&%!!! hahhaha sorry bit pissed!!!!

BL33SU
23-01-2007, 09:48 PM
i'v never seen any of those patrols out in my area before..
all my lebo neighbours wash their cars with d hose aswell.. they gotta keep their rexys n 200's clean

william
23-01-2007, 10:34 PM
HA,thats why all the waterpatrol are around earlwood!!! j:
lol all the wogs get their hoses out and wash the loose leaves all the way down their polished concrete driveways no wonder there is no water left its okay in greece they can use all they want there because they steel it of the swiss

srbsta
26-01-2007, 02:49 PM
damn the wash place near me got more expensive :mad: now it $1 for 1min b4 it wa $1 for 1m25sec booooooooooooooooo

brumue
01-02-2007, 08:30 AM
I would never let one of those brushes touch my car. I was at Car Lovers down at Dee Why once and this muddy Patrol turned up and he proceeded to scrub his car with the brush. I dont think you could really clean out the dirt in there with a quick blast from the high pressure water.

I also use a karcher at home. I managed to get a spare wheelie bin, 120L or so and i have put a tap in the bottom of it. Works pretty sweet, i think it uses way less water then the normal hose and buckets even.

WEDEL.1
10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I just washed the T4 Transporter under the carport, behind the roller door.

Nobody knows, just us, shhhhhhhhhhhh!

DIDZ
11-02-2007, 11:41 AM
There's nothing I love to do on a Sunday (apart from today, rain DAMMIT) than perform my ritual.

Fluid, hose check, vacuum the car and then... the CAR WASH :D

I can spend about half an hour just vacuuming the car (call me a neat freak) of any speck of grass or dirt out of it. Then I'll clean all the interior windows, and amour all all the trim and dash.

The the wheels, find the oldest tshirt I have left around, soapy water and wipe the crap off (the inside section of the wheel too if I can!)

Then there is the car wash itself. Use a quick dirt off wash, then wash and wax wash. Dry the bugger off with the chamois, then if I'm really up for it, the gold class wax.

All of a good two hours, each car.

I went to the Car Lovers before the Wollongong cruise and I cried, car was dirtier than Paris Hilton being tag teamed by the NSW footy team's bonding session.

Looking at the Karcher though, I don't use the hose much, it's quick and fast with the water.

GoLfMan
11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
wow that really is neat freak....
VW love man :D

RJM
09-07-2007, 01:12 PM
I've got the washing at my local DIY car wash bay down pat.

If you take your own bucket and sponge, a good wash can be done for $3.

Insert $2. This gives you enough time to comfortably;

1) Wash down using high pressure water
2) 1/4 fill your bucket with water
3) Roughly sud the car using the suds broom
4) Flick a heap of suds into your bucket

Your time will be up. Now give the car a good going over using your own sponge and bucket.

Then insert $1. This gives you enough time to thoroughly rinse down the car.

The only thing you need to be weary of, is dirt on the broom.