PDA

View Full Version : It's happened again!!!!!

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Some of you may recall back in December someone in a Toyota lost control, hit another Toyota that then T boned my beloved Jetta whilst I was sitting minding my own business waiting at a set of traffic lights.

Today, at the same set of traffic lights (about 500 metres from home) an idiot in a BMW did a u turn in front of me causing me to hit the brakes as hard as I could. I missed the BMW by a coat of paint but the near new Lexus behind me slammed into the back of the Jetta very, very hard.

The damage looks minor, but close inspection reveals the gaps between the rear doors and the body are closed up on one side and opened up on the other so it seems that it is in fact pretty bad. The Lexus is a real mess.

I can't believe my bad luck, and what is it with Toyotas (Lexus being in a sense a Toyota) always wanting to beat up on my Jetta?

Cheers

George

Golf Loon
08-08-2009, 06:25 PM
OMG you are so unlucky George.

I`d push for a write off and get a new car.

At least you weren`t injured.

maca
08-08-2009, 06:29 PM
That's horrible mate, sorry to hear about that. Perhaps you could use this as a sign to get a new VW? And that your current car could just be cursed..

Do you have any pictures of the accident?

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 06:30 PM
OMG you are so unlucky George.

I`d push for a write off and get a new car.

At least you weren`t injured.

Yes, most important thing is no one was injured, although my neck is a bit sore and will get it checked out. I'm definitely thinking if there is a chance I will push to have the car written off even though I'm so very happy with this car and it will be a sad thing if it is written off. I guess it all depends on what the repair quote is.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 06:39 PM
That's horrible mate, sorry to hear about that. Perhaps you could use this as a sign to get a new VW? And that your current car could just be cursed..

Do you have any pictures of the accident?

My stepdaughter took a couple of pics with her phone, as soon as I get them I'll post them. On Monday I'll go to the smash shop and get some proper pics.....have to borrow a camera because I left mine in the back of a taxi in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and I'm waiting for the insurance company to replace it!

Just thought, I'm happy that I hadn't yet forked out for the extended warranty, if it's a write off I may have done my dough!

Cheers

George

chris.
08-08-2009, 06:40 PM
sad to hear man
get your neck checked out stat tho
you could get a big pay out from that ?r36 mabye? :grin:

:pics:

h100vw
08-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Have you got the number of the clown in the BMW?

Good to hear you haven't anything major wrong with you.

Gavin

Satanstoenail
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Sucks, glad you're ok. Perhaps it's God's way of telling you to get a GTI or R32.. :wasntme:

Preen59
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Gees George.. That's a real bummer. Sorry to read that it has happened to you YET AGAIN.. :duh:

Glad to hear you are unhurt. It's disappointing that people get away with doing such blatantly stupid things. I can actually sort of understand what causes people to lash out with road rage when you see idiots like that do the things they do..

I'd be trying to get it written off i reckon. Cars are never the same after an impact like that.. :(

Blitzen
08-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Thats some bad luck you are having there George...Sorry to hear that mate. Ahh well, chin up, and get a Audi TT RS...

gtimk5
08-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Geez George !!!! Soooo sorry to read this, thats shocking news. Glad you are ok, though your patience must be running thin.
Hope it doesnt affect your holiday and maybe you might have a new Jetta waiting for you on your return.
A real shame mate....
Andrew :frown:

SoVeReIgN
08-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Wow the same set of traffic lights!! Thats some bad luck..

Hopefully it's written off for you and you get a shiny new Jetta. :)

ron
08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
If you cant beat them, join them. Get an Aurion.........

:eek: WTF did i say??....

Try to push for a write off, hope u get it.

rayray086
08-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Have you got the number of the clown in the BMW?

Hope you did.

Sorry to hear George, hopefully not too much downtime for you and the Jetta.

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all your kind words guys, I've included the only photos I have at the moment.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/NoPlates-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/Lexusnoplates-1.jpg

The damage looks minimal on the Jetta, the towbar took the brunt of the hit which means cosmetic damage is minimal but the big question mark is how much of the impact was transmitted through the towbar to the subframe etc. As I mentioned before, my main concern is that the R/H/R door to body gap appears to have widened and the L/H/R door to body gap has narrowed indicating the body has twisted slightly. The bootlid is also skewed relative to the boot opening. This may be repairable but it cetainly is a major repair
despite the seemingly minor nature of the damage.

I'll post more pics when I take them.

Cheers

George

On Tuesday week I'm going overseas for 5 weeks holiday so if it is to be repaired, I won't have the drama of pushing for a quick completion of repairs.

Soundofav6
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Glad you are OK George. You should go buy a lotto, what are the chances in the same traffic light !!

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Glad you are OK George. You should go buy a lotto, what are the chances in the same traffic light !!

Hi Louis, long time no see, hope you are going OK.

Guess my luck is due for a change isn't it? BTW, new Encore album is out if you are interested, it's a cracker for those who like the musical genre in which they fit. You can hear excerpts from the album on the link in my sig (and enter the win a trip to italy comp also).

Cheers

George

VW Convert
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
If you cant beat them, join them. Get an Aurion.........

:eek: WTF did i say??....

Try to push for a write off, hope u get it.

Wash your mouth out with soap! :biggrin:.....I'm developing an intense dislike for anything remotely connected with Toyota especially since to add insult to injury, after the previous accident they gave me a Camry as a loaner!

Without wanting to hurt anybody's feelings, Toyotas are the most bland, boring cars on the planet, so much so that they attract owners whose sole motivation is getting from A to B as cheaply and reliably as possible leaving absolutely no room to be passionate about driving so they simply steer them rather than driving them. I'm sure you know what I mean!

Cheers

George

Mrk_Mickey
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow, that's an utter load of messy smiling lexus if ever I saw it...

I reckon a panelbeater could definitely help you out with the description of the damage severity to get a new car...you know you want to! ;)

Good luck with it all, and I sincerely hope your insurance won't be as messy as mine was!

maca
09-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks for all your kind words guys, I've included the only photos I have at the moment.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/NoPlates-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/Lexusnoplates-1.jpg

The damage looks minimal on the Jetta, the towbar took the brunt of the hit which means cosmetic damage is minimal but the big question mark is how much of the impact was transmitted through the towbar to the subframe etc. As I mentioned before, my main concern is that the R/H/R door to body gap appears to have widened and the L/H/R door to body gap has narrowed indicating the body has twisted slightly. The bootlid is also skewed relative to the boot opening. This may be repairable but it cetainly is a major repair
despite the seemingly minor nature of the damage.

I'll post more pics when I take them.

Cheers

George

On Tuesday week I'm going overseas for 5 weeks holiday so if it is to be repaired, I won't have the drama of pushing for a quick completion of repairs.
Well hey I hope you get what you want. As others have mentioned, it's good that no one was injured and hopefully your neck turns out fine.. I dunno but it's just disturbing looking at that Jetta with the inverted bumper. Good to hear (I guess) that the tow bar took most of the damage therefore preventing serious panel damage..

Keep us updated on how everything goes :)

mikinoz
09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Like others, sorry to hear or your plight.

Best of luck with your insurer, and the soreness.

Coaster
09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm glad everyone is ok VW Convert. And why is it that the dooshbag that caused you to brake suddenly gets away scott-free? That really is wreckless driving.

Good to hear (I guess) that the tow bar took most of the damage therefore preventing serious panel damage..

As VW Convert says, towbars hide the real damage. Someone in an old beetle ran into the trailer attached to my dads Falcon. The only cosmetic damage was a cracked tail-light on the trailer, nothing on the Falcon. However, the force had transmitted through to the left rear axle, bending it, which cost a grand to replace.

neil
09-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Hey George.

Might be an idea to cancel the trip overseas at the moment.

They say accidents come in three.
and which I have had experiences in.

Hope the necks ok,
Neil.

VW Convert
09-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey George.

Might be an idea to cancel the trip overseas at the moment.

They say accidents come in three.
and which I have had experiences in.

Hope the necks ok,
Neil.

Thanks for that thought Neil....LOL, booked this trip a year ago, am going come hell or high water!

Picked up a loan car today, predictably it's a BLOODY TOYOTA! :mad:

Cheers

George

anthony
09-08-2009, 08:49 PM
It looks like the Lexus came off far worse than the beloved Jetta,what a shame,poor car...
I have a policy where if my car is written off within 3 years,I get a brand new identical car.
If yours is written off,hope you get a brand new Jetta 2.0 TSI...

VW Convert
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
It looks like the Lexus came off far worse than the beloved Jetta,what a shame,poor car...
I have a policy where if my car is written off within 3 years,I get a brand new identical car.
If yours is written off,hope you get a brand new Jetta 2.0 TSI...

Not sure which one came off worst really, the Jetta has virtually no panel damage apart from the bumper bar but the distortion to the body is the major concern. The bootlid fouls the guards (circled in the photograph), as the guards and bootlid are not damaged, this means that the two guards have been pulled inwards indicating subframe damage. Add this to the fact that the door gaps are wider on one side than the other indicates a twist in the body.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/NoPlates2-1.jpg

Unfortunately, my policy was new for old for only two years! Will have to wait and see how it pans out from here.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I saw my beloved Jetta for the last time today, I went to collect my belongings as she is now a write off. :sad:

It was touch and go but it would be a very major repair and whilst one part of me would like to see her repaired, the realistic side of me says two big hits is two too many and I'm better off with a new car. I have no doubt however that she will be repaired by whoever buys her at auction, she hardly looks marked, I just hope they repair her properly and someone does not end up with a bodgie a car.

I took my euro number plates back and will have the RTA store them for the next car.

Will have to start thinking about what to replace her with.

Cheers

George

maca
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I saw my beloved Jetta for the last time today, I went to collect my belongings as she is now a write off. :sad:

It was touch and go but it would be a very major repair and whilst one part of me would like to see her repaired, the realistic side of me says two big hits is two too many and I'm better off with a new car. I have no doubt however that she will be repaired by whoever buys her at auction, she hardly looks marked, I just hope they repair her properly and someone does not end up with a bodgie a car.

I took my euro number plates back and will have the RTA store them for the next car.

Will have to start thinking about what to replace her with.

Cheers

George
Well i'm glad you're happy with the ultimate result, I agree when you say that two hits is enough. Keep an eye out on Pickels as that's probably where it'll end up (and I hope the person who buys it KNOWS the truth).

Hope you get another VW :)

phaeton
12-08-2009, 06:17 AM
Late to the thread George glad to hear your ok and alive thanks to the engineering VW put into the Jetta and every other VW :eek:

Look after youself with regards to any injuries from the crash hopefully nothing permament.

Have a good trip ;)

16v_kid
12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
unlucky man....it just important that your safe.

Gravey
13-08-2009, 03:17 PM
new car dude! that's a great result really.....once I have a car that's been in an accident all I want to do is get rid of it.

Some old codger reversed into me on the weekend....I had reversed almost all of the way out of my park when he decides he's gonna come out of his park. I stop, beep my horn, he keeps coming. Jam it in 1st and just as I pull forward he hits me! Few minor scratches on the bumper now, but for a car that was immaculate I am very very p!ssed. Not worth the hassle with insurance, so I'll live with it for now, but grrrrrrrr!!!!

Apparently he didnt see or hear me beeping my horn, dunno how he was reversing out of his park, by feel apparently

VW Convert
13-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Apparently he didnt see or hear me beeping my horn, dunno how he was reversing out of his park, by feel apparently

Maybe by ear?

Cheers

George

VW Convert
13-08-2009, 03:36 PM
new car dude! that's a great result really.....once I have a car that's been in an accident all I want to do is get rid of it.

As I said, mixed feelings but the car had taken two very substantial hits. It car came back from repairs in pretty good shape the first time but my experience is that once the panelbeaters get hold of a car, it can look good but can often rattle and creak and just isn't the same.

I don't have to time to go car hunting now, I'll be shopping around when I get back from overseas. Just don't know what to buy.

Cheers

George