PDA

View Full Version : Indy Rally Pics

quozl
18-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Pics and Gallery of the R32 in the 2006 Indy Rally. Next up is the Qld round of the Dutton.

Link to Gallery of Indy Rally Images here Indy Rally Gallery (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~acracing/pictures/Indy%20Gallery/)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

gtimk5
18-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Great pic quozl!!! I love it, car looks good. Nothing like an "R" with its ar.e up!!!!
I would loke to be able to do the series. Maybe 2008...... Do you need a cage??
Cheers, Andrew:)

quozl
18-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Great pic quozl!!! I love it, car looks good. Nothing like an "R" with its ar.e up!!!!
I would loke to be able to do the series. Maybe 2008...... Do you need a cage??
Cheers, Andrew:)

Hi Andrew,

Thnx :)

No cage needed for the Indy rally or Dutton series but I have done the car up to meet CAMS Tarmac Rally spec as I will be doing the Buller Sprint later this year and Targa, Suncoast etc in the future and you need a cage and car to CAMS spec for that.

Cheers Al

gtimk5
18-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Sounds good quozl. I wonder if they will change the roll bar rules next year? As the Duttons sries gets more proffesional and faster then the rules may change. Average event speeds will keep it the way it is, I spose.
We had an event lalong those lines down here and they ended up having stop/go's on fast staights and heaps of chicanes. Rally Tasmania is a full on event and the chicanes in stages are multiplying yearly. Must be breading them somewhere!!!:?
I have wanted to do Buller in Gunter the past few years. That and Targa Tas.
Good luck to you in the events this year, We'll be eager to see reports...
Cheers, Andrew :)

quozl
18-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Sounds good quozl. I wonder if they will change the roll bar rules next year? As the Duttons sries gets more proffesional and faster then the rules may change. Average event speeds will keep it the way it is, I spose.
We had an event lalong those lines down here and they ended up having stop/go's on fast staights and heaps of chicanes. Rally Tasmania is a full on event and the chicanes in stages are multiplying yearly. Must be breading them somewhere!!!:?
I have wanted to do Buller in Gunter the past few years. That and Targa Tas.
Good luck to you in the events this year, We'll be eager to see reports...

Hi Andrew, I think for sure CAMS is looking at updating the rules for these so called fun events like the Dutton and Indy etc. As you say they are getting more and more professional so I think it is only a matter of time......

There are already updates on the CAMS site relating to footwear and socks for the fun events and I have heard rumuors they are looking at more safety gear such as cages.

After we did the Dutton last year the first thing I did when we got back was book the car into Norms to get the cage, seats and harness's fabricated and installed. It's amazing how much safer you feel and how much more control of the car you have being strapped in securely. In the first dutton I did with the stock Konig seats I was having to brace myself in the seats with my legs around the corners etc which wasn't a good way to instill confidence.

I'm really looking forward to Buller this year just need to get the terratrip, figure it out, and install it and the intercom, find an expierienced co driver to navigate for it and the car will be ready.

Cheers Al

gtimk5
18-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Totally agree about being held firmly in the car. I haveSparco seats in Gunter and now, in the mk5 gti, although the seats are nice, when having a thrash I feel sort of uncomfortable in them. The cage definately stiffens up a mk1 golf!!! :)
Terratrips and intercoms are pretty easy to install.Love the intercom, though in road events I was instructed to not say anthing, just listen and drive. That was ok till a 5 right ended up being a 3 right!
Whenever things weren't right I would just say "nuh":mad:
Even when we had an off, I said nuh, took 3 guideposts and then got back on without stopping and finished the stage! Got 8th outright in rally Tas that year.Its all good fun though, eh?
Gotta get Gunter going once the messy start to 2007 with the family cars is sorted!

quozl
18-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Totally agree about being held firmly in the car. I haveSparco seats in Gunter and now, in the mk5 gti, although the seats are nice, when having a thrash I feel sort of uncomfortable in them. The cage definately stiffens up a mk1 golf!!! :)
Terratrips and intercoms are pretty easy to install.Love the intercom, though in road events I was instructed to not say anthing, just listen and drive. That was ok till a 5 right ended up being a 3 right!
Whenever things weren't right I would just say "nuh":mad:
Even when we had an off, I said nuh, took 3 guideposts and then got back on without stopping and finished the stage! Got 8th outright in rally Tas that year.Its all good fun though, eh?
Gotta get Gunter going once the messy start to 2007 with the family cars is sorted!

I just found your post about Gunter, love the pics of the car it looks like a great rally weapon. Will have to meet up at one of the events one day and swap drives for a stage ;-)

Have you seen this rally computer made in NZ? Monit Rally Computer (http://www.monitrally.com/index.html)

It looks alot easier to use than the Terratrips. What brand of intercom system are you using?

Cheers Al

gtimk5
19-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Al, I use two VDO meters in Gunter. They are no longer available these days. They do all the usual things, average speed in stages, time and time accrued, distance plus tacho ect. Excellent juiggers. The possible only problem is with wheelspin through corners throwing the distance but it hasnt worried us.:D
I use a Terraphone. Worth its weight in gold, I dont know how pepole can compete at high speed without one. Gunter isnt a real noisy car inside strangely, the Silverstones were far noisier than the motor.:?
You have to have total confidence in your co,driver though, if it drops a touch then you cannot be as committed. My mates codriver these days is Anne Gigney, ex Peter Brocks. She is local and owns a Mk4 Golf!! Hanging to buy my Mk5 these days. She will be waiting a while!!
Britchie off this forum was mine. Did a good job but he isn't an active member here these days

Blue Flog
20-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Al, I use two VDO meters in Gunter. They are no longer available these days. They do all the usual things, average speed in stages, time and time accrued, distance plus tacho ect. Excellent juiggers. The possible only problem is with wheelspin through corners throwing the distance but it hasnt worried us.:D
I use a Terraphone. Worth its weight in gold, I dont know how pepole can compete at high speed without one. Gunter isnt a real noisy car inside strangely, the Silverstones were far noisier than the motor.:?
You have to have total confidence in your co,driver though, if it drops a touch then you cannot be as committed. My mates codriver these days is Anne Gigney, ex Peter Brocks. She is local and owns a Mk4 Golf!! Hanging to buy my Mk5 these days. She will be waiting a while!!
Britchie off this forum was mine. Did a good job but he isn't an active member here these days
I have my Terratrip probe on the rear wheel to get away from the problem of wheel spin. Distances are accurate

quozl
20-01-2007, 04:19 PM
I have my Terratrip probe on the rear wheel to get away from the problem of wheel spin. Distances are accurate

How do you find the Terratrip to operate? Are they straight forward to learn or do you need a degree in computer science? I'm not worried about installation or initial calibration as I'll have it profesionally installed and calibrated but do they come with a decent manual to learn all the different features etc?

Do you know anyone using the Monit Rally computer?

http://www.monitrally.com/index.html

What about the Hjida?

http://www.hidja.se/eng/index.php

or the Coralba units?

http://www.coralba.com/rally/readone.php?categoryID=15

Like any of these products I always find it hard to decide which one to go with so I'm looking for anyone with personal expierience of the pro's and con's of the different brands.

Cheers Al

Blue Flog
20-01-2007, 06:08 PM
We have the Terratrip 202 Plus with remote zero in the Blue Flog. We have not experienced any problems with it and find it easy to use and calibrate. It is very easy to recalibrate when the Directors Halda check is different to yours. I don't know of anyone using the Kiwi or Hadja. The Coralba is considered the top of the line and expensive. There is an Oz mob http://www.philtronics.com.au/motorsport/motorsport.html that make a good trip meter and the bonus part is that it can be fixed here if necessary. An advantage with the Philtronic is that it includes average speed which the 202 does not. That feature is available in the 303.
Regards,
Darcy

quozl
20-01-2007, 06:56 PM
We have the Terratrip 202 Plus with remote zero in the Blue Flog. We have not experienced any problems with it and find it easy to use and calibrate. It is very easy to recalibrate when the Directors Halda check is different to yours. I don't know of anyone using the Kiwi or Hadja. The Coralba is considered the top of the line and expensive. There is an Oz mob http://www.philtronics.com.au/motorsport/motorsport.html that make a good trip meter and the bonus part is that it can be fixed here if necessary. An advantage with the Philtronic is that it includes average speed which the 202 does not. That feature is available in the 303.
Regards,
Darcy

Thanks for the info Darcy it is much appreciated.

Cheers Al

Guy_H
25-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey Al,

Are you not supposed to keep the car on the black road surface in those events :?: :D

We wired a terra trip up to Jeff's R32 the other day - it picks up the stock speed signal and seemed to work perfectly, we picked up everything we needed from behind the radio and made a quick disconnect harness for it.

Need a co driver for the Dutton? Might have one for you if interested.

Cheers

Guy

Bluerex
25-01-2007, 10:42 AM
How do you find the Terratrip to operate? Are they straight forward to learn or do you need a degree in computer science? I'm not worried about installation or initial calibration as I'll have it profesionally installed and calibrated but do they come with a decent manual to learn all the different features etc?

Do you know anyone using the Monit Rally computer?

Hi Al,
I have sat i the silly seat for a couple of years now with a variety of drivers and intercoms/tripmeters. I wont say anything bad about terratrips or terraphones, but I bought a Brantz Laser3 tripmeter and a Stilo helmet (with adaptors for Peltor and Terraphone intercoms). Just be careful about your helmet/intercom combinations as some just dont play well together. As for my own intercom; it will be a home design with inputs for 2-way radio, GSM phone and iPOD.

The Monit computors are being imported into Aust by my mate Russel Dixon if you are interested I can PM his contact details.

Cheers

Charles.

syncro
25-01-2007, 11:58 AM
........... and iPOD.

iPOD??????????:???:

quozl
25-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Hi Al,
I have sat i the silly seat for a couple of years now with a variety of drivers and intercoms/tripmeters. I wont say anything bad about terratrips or terraphones, but I bought a Brantz Laser3 tripmeter and a Stilo helmet (with adaptors for Peltor and Terraphone intercoms). Just be careful about your helmet/intercom combinations as some just dont play well together. As for my own intercom; it will be a home design with inputs for 2-way radio, GSM phone and iPOD.

The Monit computors are being imported into Aust by my mate Russel Dixon if you are interested I can PM his contact details.

Cheers

Charles.

Hi Bluerex, thanks for the info on the Brantz unit I will have to have a look at it.

I am currently using Sparco helmets but they aren't setup for intercoms, I am looking at changing to Stilo helmets and comms with thier ST30 system that has two seperate intercom circuits that don't share any components and have seperate power supplies. In case one breaks down during a stage you just flick a switch and you still have comms along with radio, phone and camera connection.

It would be nice to have the ability to make my own custom unit like you but I don't have the electronics skills to do that :-) I would be interested to see the finished unit when the project is done.

Yes if you could PM me his details that would be much appreciated.

Cheers Al

quozl
25-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey Al,

Are you not supposed to keep the car on the black road surface in those events :?: :D

We wired a terra trip up to Jeff's R32 the other day - it picks up the stock speed signal and seemed to work perfectly, we picked up everything we needed from behind the radio and made a quick disconnect harness for it.

Cheers

Guy

Hi Guy,

Is Jeff taking the R32 into the event now as well? Who is this mystery co-driver?

Cheers Al

Guy_H
25-01-2007, 02:19 PM
No Mate,

Jeff's in the TT with me this time.

My friend Pauls 930 won't be back together in time for the event, so he has no ride :(

Golf is now entered as well as the Polo ;)

quozl
25-01-2007, 02:37 PM
No Mate,

Jeff's in the TT with me this time.

My friend Pauls 930 won't be back together in time for the event, so he has no ride :(

Golf is now entered as well as the Polo ;)

This is the same Paul who rolled the 930? I think I'll pass on him co driving but thanks all the same. :D :D

Cheers Al

Guy_H
25-01-2007, 02:41 PM
This is the same Paul who rolled the 930? I think I'll pass on him co driving but thanks all the same. :D :D

Cheers Al

Lol yep - same one n:

Blue Flog
25-01-2007, 06:23 PM
That is a very neat way of doing it however it does not eliminate the wheel spin error, especially on dirt.

Cheers

Guy[/QUOTE]

Bluerex
26-01-2007, 08:18 AM
iPOD??????????:???:
Of course, for those long transport sections. Also good for masking the terrified whimpering of your co-driverj:

C