PDA

View Full Version : User Suggestions V1.0

The_Hawk
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread is to be used for suggested changes to our forums after the recent software update.

Mika
07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
A tech articles section for each car section where people can post up step by step "How to" threads. Only available to members who meet time-as-member and contributing post count criteria.

AusScare
07-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Is it possible for the OP to CLOSE and REOPEN their threads, eg for sale section, create the ad, close the thread to stop chatter, reopen to bump/edit post.

I don't mind the chatter but some people like to keep their threads clean which is more than understandable.

Also under Quick Links (next to log out button), the My Profile button isn't there anymore.

I also like the old Spotted section better, but it's not much of a drama.

Spyda
08-08-2009, 01:16 AM
Have you guys changed the color? It looks like Windows 95 on my end, ugly as dogs ballz.

EDIT* I found how to change the skin (very bottom left corner FYI), DubDub003 ownz.

The_Hawk
08-08-2009, 08:15 AM
A tech articles section for each car section where people can post up step by step "How to" threads. Only available to members who meet time-as-member and contributing post count criteria.

The mods have been talking about a sticky at the top of each section with links to common "How To" threads about a particular model. This means there could be links across categories rather than the same information appearing in multiple places. The idea of locking this out isn't an ideal one as we want our knowledge base to be freely available to the wider Volkswagen Enthusiast community, that way people can find us, join up and keep that pool going.

Is it possible for the OP to CLOSE and REOPEN their threads, eg for sale section, create the ad, close the thread to stop chatter, reopen to bump/edit post.

I don't mind the chatter but some people like to keep their threads clean which is more than understandable.

Also under Quick Links (next to log out button), the My Profile button isn't there anymore.

I also like the old Spotted section better, but it's not much of a drama.

You should already have been able to open, close and delete your own threads in classifieds. Let me know if you have issues doing that and I'll look into it.

Quick Links I will have to look at too, I don't know why the profile thing has gone away, you can always click on one of your own posts to get there anyway, but like I said, I will look into it.

Lastly, the spotted section is now open for individual posting again with one section for everyone, although just like the classifieds, all posts need to have a State prefix attached :)

Have you guys changed the color? It looks like Windows 95 on my end, ugly as dogs ballz.

EDIT* I found how to change the skin (very bottom left corner FYI), DubDub003 ownz.

Colours are changing and I expect we will have a couple of styles to choose from. After they are finalised there will be a vote for what should become the default, although that could be a little while since we need a little time to work the bugs out of any of the new styles.

AusScare
08-08-2009, 10:21 AM
You should already have been able to open, close and delete your own threads in classifieds. Let me know if you have issues doing that and I'll look into it.

I closed this old thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=356287#post356287) of mine, using edit > advanced > close after etc

Then it closes it, and I have no way of reopening or editing.

The_Hawk
08-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I closed this old thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=356287#post356287) of mine, using edit > advanced > close after etc

Then it closes it, and I have no way of reopening or editing.

At the top of the thread, hit the "Thread Tools" drop down, then select open thread. :)

AusScare
08-08-2009, 11:04 AM
At the top of the thread, hit the "Thread Tools" drop down, then select open thread. :)

ooo cool, well I reckon that's a good enough system for people who don't want excessive talk in their threads. Didn't even know we could do that stuff.

AusScare
08-08-2009, 11:26 AM
One of the most used buttons on every other forum I'm a member of. A find your posts button. Especially with the profile button gone, it's now harder to bring up that page. This button means all you have to do now is open VWW > find your posts button > go from where you last left off.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6676/findposts.jpg

The_Hawk
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
One of the most used buttons on every other forum I'm a member of. A find your posts button. Especially with the profile button gone, it's now harder to bring up that page. This button means all you have to do now is open VWW > find your posts button > go from where you last left off.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Check the title bar, there is a "My Posts" button, hit it to see your posts or hit the drop down arrow to show "My Threads" instead of posts ;)

sir_camel
09-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Can't seem to make posts in the Spotted section. Is listing the thread as Closed. Is it just me? In NSW section specifically.

Treza360
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showpost.php?p=368184&postcount=34
Cheers,
Trent

geoff_gti
09-08-2009, 04:12 PM
The ability to close and reopen your own threads has always been there - perhaps if more people used it a lot of the rubbish could be avoided. If people kept their own threads tidy I'm sure that would make life easier for everyone & help to reduce when the mods are perceived to step in too much or too early etc.

Anyway, good to see that there have been lots of positive changes in the last couple of days. I wasn't going to get involved in any of those threads so I'm glad it seems to have been resolved.

I personally find the black/grey theme too dark so am switching to the default but let us know when there are some more to play with! I see we have the Arcade functions now as well. :) As for other layout changes, I'm sure we'll work them out as we go but with an increasing number of members I tend to think state-based areas are easier to navigate.

I was going to suggest this anyway and not just becuase of the new version or recent issues, but how about introducing a Donations function? I have seen this work on other forums whereby members who donate, then have additional access or privileges in various sections. An icon can be displayed on their profile to show they have donated too. I'm not saying this should be a way for people to 'buy their way in' but it allows members who take the forum seriously to contribute to the upkeep of the place should they want to - eg hosting costs & file storage etc. (It's a bit like buying stickers I guess in some ways except this could give you extra stuff online.)

I don't know for sure who looks after it at the moment, but someone has to pay for the domain name and hosting costs, and it doesn't really seem fair that it should only be one or maybe a couple of members only (ie Aaron and/or the other admins) - they don't get paid to run this place after all. I thought recently a lot of locally-stored attachments were removed so granting a member a bit of space is one way they could be rewarded. Maybe we were just running out of server space at the time when all the old spottos got deleted? I'm sure there are plenty of other things the admin team could come up with too so this is just one option.

Could we also have larger PM space? 100 messages can fill up pretty quickly if you're having a few conversations or people are inquiring about for sale threads etc.

Cheers

The_Hawk
09-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I thought about the donate function, but at the end of the day we have our forum sponsors so we cover our expenses. As the place gets bigger and we need to pay for more bandwidth, maybe we will have to change, but for the moment it's taken care of. But thanks for the thought.

When it comes to PM's there is an option down the bottom of the page that allows you to save off your old PM's to a txt file (or similar) so you can save them locally (also remember they get emailed to you so you have them there too). Having said all that, we did up the limit from 50 to 100 PM's a little while back, there is also only about 50 people who are nearing the limit... maybe it's one of those things we reward people with more than 1,000 posts with extra PM space for being a longer term part of the community :)

geoff_gti
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Fair enough :) I have downloaded old PMs before to clear out the space but the formats are just not particularly reader friendly if you ever want to go back to them, esp the xml download which you would think would open in the browser window formatted not with all the tags showing. The replies you send don't come through on email which is why it's nice to have them on here still.

I was near 1000 posts, (until all the old spottos get deleted hehe) :wasntme:

Cheers mate

greasykitchen
15-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Couple 'o things:

With the new software parts of people's profile details are not accessible (more are visible on the brown colour scheme). Not really a prob, some might prefer it that way.

Email notification for subscribed threads is sometimes delayed (by a day or so).

Ta

quozl
15-08-2009, 05:55 PM
In the Spotted forum is it possible to consolidate the other states spotted threads into a single thread like the NSW one is? Still have the coloured state logo but it is much easier to view when they are all in a single thread for each state.

Cheers Al

DeanB
27-08-2009, 08:03 AM
In the Spotted forum is it possible to consolidate the other states spotted threads into a single thread like the NSW one is? Still have the coloured state logo but it is much easier to view when they are all in a single thread for each state.

Cheers Al

+1 ... the spotted forum is a mess with all the other states (NSW and SA appear consolidated) just opening a new thread for each car or suburb it is spotted in. It's becoming a mess to view imo.

Sharkie
21-09-2009, 07:52 AM
How about a place where you can post what dealer stock you have seen available at a VW dealer.

This is particulary relevant to "in demand" models....

This weekend for instance I saw a new Black R32 5 door DSG for sale at the new VW dealer in North Brisbane. Somebody here may be looking for 1, so how do we alert the members to this?

Also spotted 2 base 125TSI Auto Tiguans (these have a waiting list) ..... some-one may be able to jump the queue ....

VisionaryVr6
20-10-2009, 02:00 PM
i have a suggestion, can we create a section where every state has its own subforum for threads like 'meets' and 'spotted' rather then having one section for all of australia?

another use of this for example is, i could create a thread asking for help over the upcoming weekend to do some work on my vdub, post it in the SA area and then people can see it and offer a hand. atm there is no where to do that sort of thing.

just a suggestion :)

cheers

Luke