PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Modifications

Pages : [1] 2

dazag
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi gang, just wanted to see what Mods people have done to their Skoda's to personalise it etc??

The usual things I guess like Chips/ECU flashing, Exhaust, induction, different wheels, maybe stereo upgrades or incar entertainment ( DVD, in car PC, or play station etc ), maybe other things like plumbing under the bonnet, or some bling bits for the car that you see in ebay etc.

Just wanted to see if anyone has "played' with their Skoda's ??

code618
04-08-2009, 08:40 PM
My vRS TFSI is stock as a rock. My mods wish list is:

Eibach springs
Eibach anti-roll bars
Darkest legal tint
APR ECU
Stage 1 Brembo brakes

Some I will do, others are, such as the Brembos, are out of my league.

VRS-Vic
05-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm looking to put some nice black rims on the white wagon. Will upoad pics when it happens :)

Transporter
30-08-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't know if it was posted here, very simple mod.
http://www.skodaoctavia.cz/motornavody/icVetrani.htm

brad
09-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't know if it was posted here, very simple mod.
http://www.skodaoctavia.cz/motornavody/icVetrani.htm

That would be to aid airflow through the intercooler on the diesel models? Is the intercooler still in the mudguard?

On the 1.8 & 2.0 petrol engines, the intercooler is between the radiator & the Airconditioning thing (evaporator or condensor? - I failed Air Conditioning at tech & have never got it right since:frown:)

JP_Aircooled_TDi
09-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Current mods on our 2TDI Elegance family wagon are:
- Oettinger re-flash
- tinted windows (darkest legal)
- tow-bar (fitted by dealer)

Also carries Rhino roof racks and roof pod for trips away.

Hope to put some bigger wheels on at a later date and lower it a little.

brad
10-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I was thinking i hadn't done any mods. How easily things are forgotten.

1. Tint windows 20%. $260
2. Enabled AC on/off switch - free
3. Ebay moulded mudspats - $50
4. Tweeter mod - front doors - $8
5. Removed art deco style Octavia badge. Thinking about fitting the new style.
6. Heavy mofo rubber boot mat (supercheap/Repco $35)
7. Setup everything to my liking via the MFD

edit: also have a DealExtreme imitation VAGCOM cable on order. No idea how good it will be but for ~$40:cool:

To do (definate):
1. Tweeter mod - rear doors - $3
2. Bluefin - $750

Considering:
17" rims or maybe even 16x8 Audi rims with 225/50x16. Possibly in Satin Black or Anthracite.

K1W1
11-09-2009, 06:20 AM
2. Enabled AC on/off switch - free

Can you please explain this one.

brad
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Can you please explain this one.

Full write-up here (http://www.carandimage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13335)

K1W1
11-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks. I assume that this is not relevant to the new layout for the facelift models that only have two round control buttons.

brad
11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks. I assume that this is not relevant to the new layout for the facelift models that only have two round control buttons.

Dunno
I haven't had a good look at the FL models.
Do they have an on/off switch at all? Do VWs/Audis have a similar layout? my model was the exact same layout as the Golf which has an On/Off on top & a dual zone below. Strangely, the dual zone button couldn't be activated.

K1W1
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks.
i downloaded the update series owners manual and it looks like they have a different control system that does have an off button.

aarondc
12-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I am really enjoying this very new TDI wagon, it's great to drive, and I am still finding little bits and pieces I did not notice before. :D

Rather than upgrade the car, I am intending to keep it, for quite a few years at least, and do the following upgrades every couple of years instead:

* in-dash GPS (currently bought a Garmin stuck to the windscreen)
* reversing camera
* new wheels - a little more sportier
* ECU remap (still to ask insurer on impact of this)

In the short term, I am going to look for some mats for the front and the boot - any suggestions on where to go? Supercheap was mentioned earlier, anywhere else?

I also need a cigarette lighter replicator to run bits and pieces like the GPS and the CB I intend on buying soon.

gregozedobe
13-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm happy with the genuine Skoda rubber mats I got for the front (I sometimes drive wearing muddy boots), but if I was buying a rubber mat for the rear I'd probably just buy a generic one rather than the genuine Skoda one I've got (it's OK, but the fit isn't that great and it was a bit expensive).

As a tip, make sure you try the "stinky smell" test on any rubber mats BEFORE you buy, it seems some stink enough to disable an elephant when new.

brad
14-09-2009, 10:29 AM
As a tip, make sure you try the "stinky smell" test on any rubber mats BEFORE you buy, it seems some stink enough to disable an elephant when new.
They all stink.

I stuck mine out in the backyard on the kids trampoline for the day (mesh so the mat had maximum airflow around it) and the heat seemed to help it out-gas enough.

paul_segr
14-09-2009, 01:08 PM
The only mod I am thinking of for my soon to be delivered RS Wagon is having the wheels blacked out similar to the RS-P.

I think black wheels with the black paint would look quite cool.

gregozedobe
15-09-2009, 01:46 AM
I think black wheels with the black paint would look quite cool.

I was thinking about doing that so I let the brake dust build up until the wheels were quite dark. I decided that I preferred them clean and silver (when they were dark they looked smaller and a bit weedy - and they are the std 18" mags). Maybe the std mags don't suit the black look (I've seen pics of other styles of mags that looked fine in black and dark grey).

dazag
15-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of all black wheels, looks too "rat" to me and not my thing. see I dont like that look on the RS-P either, but I do like some of the after market rims that are a mix of black and alloy, a bit of contrast.
But each person has their personal tastes - do what ya want Paul, so long as you're happy with it.

indulis
17-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Did the climate control off button mod, and have put in new high beam globes from Osram- Night Breakers (H1) (Osram part #s 64150NBR 448NBR) which I got in less than a week from Automotive Light Bulbs in the UK (eBay shop). Less than $40 for a lot more light!

NicZA
23-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Got the E-MFA MFD add on, still got to fit it. Hopefully this weekend.:)
Tip: if you want slightly cheaper postal charges, use the American site.

http://kufatec.com/images/1329_0.jpg

aarondc
23-09-2009, 10:44 PM
What is this E-MFA add on and how do you install it??

gregozedobe
23-09-2009, 11:30 PM
What is this E-MFA add on ??

I did a quick google search and found this :

http://kufatec.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=156&products_id=1017

aarondc
23-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Heh nod, I did the same search and came up with nada useful, so I thought I'd ask ;-)

NicZA
24-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Well the unit is installed, and works perfectly in my skoda (1.8TFSI). On the kufatec website it does list the Octavia 1Z as being compatible. The crunch is you need to have the Dis+ display, which it seems the Aus skoda models come standard with.
The actual unit is a small box, which is wired into a wiring harness that you plug inline with the radio quadblock connector. It's literally plug and play.
The biggest hassle is getting all the wiring (its only a small harness, but the quadblock connector is bulky) tucked away so that the radio/MFD unit fiits.
Took some pics of the install if there is an interest :)

Golf Loon
24-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Took some pics of the install if there is an interest :)

Nice work mate. We are interested. Start another Thread and give us a how to guide.

Might be the first Skoda Mod thread :)

gregozedobe
24-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Well done ! Wot he said ^

Transporter
24-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Well done mate.
Yes, after all it could be the first real Skoda mod.
Use a lot of pictures mate if go through and build the separate thread for it, keep the thread on topic with the useful information only. :)

To be honest I’m surprised that Skoda thread doesn’t have DIY, How To or similar thread yet :( . I think it’s the time for someone who keeps his hands dirty and tinkers in his Skoda to start the thread like that.

NicZA
24-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok, will do. Expect a 'how to' shortly, just gotta get my pics in a row with a description :)

dazag
26-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I know some people are anti-K&N filters, but thought I'd throw this up anyway
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-0618-1_inst.pdf
http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/69-9756_inst.pdf

NicZA
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Ok, will do. Expect a 'how to' shortly, just gotta get my pics in a row with a description :)

Done, look for it in the main skoda thread :)

Transporter
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I found this, while browsing Octavia forum in CZ.

You can easily shorten the gear stick travel by replacing part of the linkage on top of the gearbox (cost of the Audi S3 part in CZ is equivalent to $40), maybe 1/2 hour to fit no special tool needed.

http://forum.octaviaclub.cz/index.php?showtopic=167&st=0&p=3168&#entry3168
I used Google translate (just for you), not exact but good enough with pictures.

Ask if you find something interesting there and need more accurate translate.
I found the site realy good.

Loobie
05-11-2009, 05:31 PM
has anyone had any positive results from aftermarket upgrades on the standard halogen globes in the RS?

While I would have liked the xenons, I couldn't justify the $ considering I just need a little bit more light than what the standard globes put out.

I've read a little on Phillips range of globe upgrades, in particular the XTreme (how good does 80% more light and 25m longer beam sound ?!?!) - any suggestions or experiences ?

K1W1
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I've read a little on Phillips range of globe upgrades, in particular the XTreme (how good does 80% more light and 25m longer beam sound ?!?!) - any suggestions or experiences ?

I assume that the standard bulbs are H4's.
I upgraded the H4's in my current car to the Phillips Xtremes when I blew a bulb and the did make a noticeable difference, the light is whiter and definitely illuminates more distance. I also upgraded the bulb in my wife's Ducati to an Xtreme and there was a marked difference there as well.
Of course the difference will probably be relative to the properties of the reflector and lens so results may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Loobie
05-11-2009, 06:55 PM
I assume that the standard bulbs are H4's.
I upgraded the H4's in my current car to the Phillips Xtremes when I blew a bulb and the did make a noticeable difference, the light is whiter and definitely illuminates more distance. I also upgraded the bulb in my wife's Ducati to an Xtreme and there was a marked difference there as well.
Of course the difference will probably be relative to the properties of the reflector and lens so results may vary from vehicle to vehicle.

Thanks for the advice K1W1 - I think they are H4s. I take your point on the reflector properties/lens but would assume that as long as the filament burns significantly brighter than the standard globes, the end result would be more light. 80% might not be the end result but my very average night vision will undoubtedly benefit from any extra light compared to the normal.

I only got to see them on for an hour at dusk/twilight during a test drive, but the first impression was not overly impressive for light output. The Xtremes are looking like they're on the shopping list.

gregozedobe
06-11-2009, 12:11 AM
The pre-FL non-HID Octys have H7 globes in Lo beam, and H1s in Hi beam. I agree that the std halogen Lo beam was a bit less than overwhelming, which is why I ordered mine with factory HIDs - but then Hi beam seemed weak, so I needed to upgrade the globes. I'm not sure if they have changed globes for the FL headlights (I would be surprised if they did).

I've tried many different globes in H4, H1 and H7 fittings in Transporter headlights (H4, H1, H7) and hi-beam for Octy RS pre-FL headlights (I have factory HIDs in Lo beam).

I found the Philips X-treme to be the best of the +XX% globes (but only 25-30% better, not 80% better). The X-treme also seem to last longer for most people than the Osram Nightbreaker (2nd best globes to the X-treme for output IMO). However, I found the Osram 65W H7 "Rallye" globe was a fair bit better than the Xtreme 55W H7 (it has a H9 burner on a H7 base, so quite a lot brighter), so that is the H7 globe I recommend, for H4s and H1s you can't go wrong with the X-tremes.

It is worth shopping around for globes (or bulbs as the rest of the world seems to call them), but sometimes the local auto electrician may have some of the Xtremes for a reasonable price compared with the on-line sellers from the UK and US.

dazag
06-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Has anyone looked at the Narva range of globes?? was looking at the blue Power version - claimed 80% more light, with 20% brighter/white light ( 3750k Kelvin & 2000 lumin). I'll have a look at the Phillips website to compare. But just thought I'd ask to se if people had tried the Narva series??

gregozedobe
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Anything with a blue filter on the glass is reducing output to get the "whiter" look. Some bump up the temp of the filament to compensate (with more output), but that in turn reduces the longevity of the globe.

But if you like the look of them, buy them and let us know how they go after you've had them for 12 months or so - you can't beat real life experience :)

dazag
07-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Yes I understand the blue filters simpley change the colour range of the globe, and this one does have some blue filtering, but going off the luminance (how much light is put out) side of things, it is increased compared to standard
So I'm assuming it's a better quality/perfoming globe.....
http://http://www.narva.com.au/sitebuilder/products/editor/1050/blue-power-graph.png
http://http://www.narva.com.au/sitebuilder/products/editor/1050/blue-power-globes.png

dazag
07-11-2009, 07:30 AM
On another note, anyone with a diesel RS (the golf GTI motor), have you been reading the diesel folder at all?? There is some interesting talk about how to get the most out of them, with DPF deletes, and doing some mods around the engine bay to keep things cooler, playing with cold air intake set ups.
Has anyone in here got the Bluefin ECU upgrade?? Or maybe Oetinger reflash etc??
They had a Dyno day in Sydney last weekend, was a pity some of us Skoda boys couldn't make it and check out how well our car's are performing. My skoda is still being run in, so no chance of putting it on a Dyno yet, but once I have a few more km's on it, i think I'll head down for the next dyno day.

thejack72
13-11-2010, 09:24 AM
I realise we're all going to be too busy (initially) just driving our cars once we get them, and to some it's sacrilegious, but has anyone considered any modifications to their new toy yet. A few that we're considering are:

Reversing camera - this (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/how-retrofit-rvc-reverse-camera-tiguan-fiscon-basic-plus-kufatec-ima-36131.html) thread over in Tiguan land looks like a winner for that one.

Integrated headrest video screens for Jr & #2 when it arrives - does anybody know of a decent place in Sydney that manufactures them?

The Kufatec additional MFD gauges (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1329_c320_E-MFA-DIS-Add-On---Display-Boost--Oil--Battery.html) and / or Bluetooth (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1180_c122_FISCON-Bluetooth-Handsfree----Basic----VW--Skoda.html) add-ons if they're compatible.
(OK, I'll be honest... the last one is 'me' considering, not 'us', but she's a tech-lover too so won't mind)

Is anybody else considering, or actually done, any of these?

dru
13-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Saw on briskoda a thread about someone changing the brake setup on a FL Octavia RS. Swapped the brakes from a R32 Golf straight over, big twin piston setup with 345mm discs! Apparently the same goes with the Audi S3 (8P) brakes. Straight swap!

Skodite
31-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I have modified my 2008 1.8tsi 6M as a project car.

Mods so far

Peloquin LSD

Garret gt2871r with custom welded steel exhaust manifold
Full 3'' cutom exhaust, 200cel cat with varex muffler (3 settings- a lot of fun!)
Forge twintercooler
Evolution motorsport CAI
Drift oil catch can - custom install
Running superchip stage 2 map

VW Racing UK big brake kit 353mm slotted discs with 6 pot pistons.
rear brakes r32 hardware with 312mm slotted discs

Whiteline swaybars and WALK kit
Eibach pro dampers/springs

Fox r5 wheels 18 x 7.5 with Summitomo HRT Z IIIs

Recaro CS seats with side airbags and colour coded suede inserts to match beige interior.

dru
31-01-2011, 08:09 PM
I have modified my 2008 1.8tsi 6M as a project car.

Mods so far

Peloquin LSD

Garret gt2871r with custom welded steel exhaust manifold
Full 3'' cutom exhaust, 200cel cat with varex muffler (3 settings- a lot of fun!)
Forge twintercooler
Evolution motorsport CAI
Drift oil catch can - custom install
Running superchip stage 2 map

VW Racing UK big brake kit 353mm slotted discs with 6 pot pistons.
rear brakes r32 hardware with 312mm slotted discs

Whiteline swaybars and WALK kit
Eibach pro dampers/springs

Fox r5 wheels 18 x 7.5 with Summitomo HRT Z IIIs

Recaro CS seats with side airbags and colour coded suede inserts to match beige interior.

Have you got any pics? You should do a topic on your build!

Just searched those seats and they are very nice!

Antiplastix
31-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Has it been on the dyno ?, be interesting to see what its output is.

Skodite
31-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I am waiting to complete the project before dyno testing/tuning. Story, pics and videos will follow..

To be done: Custom built welded aluminum inlet manifold and larger injectors, new fuel line and high flow pump.
Bosch ECU to be semi retired. My tuner is the Tasmanian agent for LINK ECUs NZ. He has persuaded and guided me through the whole process.
The bosch will run all the instrument/canbus and the LINK will do the engine management and be able to be mapped/tuned on the fly.

LINK are still in development mode but hopefully it will available for the TSI engine in the next month or so.

I have had an earlier setup with a K04 AWE Tuning kit specifically for the TSI engine. It Gave awesome mid range punch but ran out of steam from about 5500rpm.

The garett is only running at 14psi on a mechanical boost controller until I have the ECU sorted out but it absolutely screams from 4000rpm until it redlines at 6800rpm. The mecahnical boost controller is for safety sake - I don't want an overboost/spike and detonate the engine.

My gut feeling it is peaking at 200+kw but I can't be certain. (put it this way I haven't found an sti that can stay with me!)

brad
01-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I have had an earlier setup with a K04 AWE Tuning kit specifically for the TSI engine. It Gave awesome mid range punch but ran out of steam from about 5500rpm.
This sounds interesting. Do you still have it lying around the workshop?

Also, what effect did the forge twintercooler have & did you just use a Golf version?

woofy
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I realise we're all going to be too busy (initially) just driving our cars once we get them, and to some it's sacrilegious, but has anyone considered any modifications to their new toy yet. A few that we're considering are:

Reversing camera - this (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/how-retrofit-rvc-reverse-camera-tiguan-fiscon-basic-plus-kufatec-ima-36131.html) thread over in Tiguan land looks like a winner for that one.

Integrated headrest video screens for Jr & #2 when it arrives - does anybody know of a decent place in Sydney that manufactures them?

The Kufatec additional MFD gauges (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1329_c320_E-MFA-DIS-Add-On---Display-Boost--Oil--Battery.html) and / or Bluetooth (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1180_c122_FISCON-Bluetooth-Handsfree----Basic----VW--Skoda.html) add-ons if they're compatible.
(OK, I'll be honest... the last one is 'me' considering, not 'us', but she's a tech-lover too so won't mind)

Is anybody else considering, or actually done, any of these?

I have an ipad which was going to be rigged up like this, but at almost the age of 3, our daughter has now started to get car sick looking at books in the car, which she could do fine before.

I don't know about you, but back seats tend to cause that a lot of the time, and throw some moving videos in the mix and I reckon you might want to hold off and see how they go as they get older.

Skodite
01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Brad,
Still have the K04 kit (TSI engine only) It is almost complete minus a couple of gaskets.

I bought a twintercooler for the golf v gti/ ocatvia rs blind. Forge UK would not give me any hints about if it would fit the 1.8tsi.
There was a picture by picture install for the RS on the Forge website and I reckoned it would fit. Just had to tin snip a little where the hoses went through but other than that it fitted perfectly.

brad
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
isn't the turbo & manifold integrated? (hence your current custom manifold/turbo setup)?

Skodite
01-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Not integrated but the cast manifold is specially designed by AWE tuning to work as a direct bolt on to the TSI. AWE purchase the K04 turbos off the shelf from Audi US. Apparently it is a '64' turbo as per Audi S3

Gti Dave
11-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Just came across these...
http://www.avb-sports.be/files/product_image/1242211734/CAWheel5-big.jpg
Think they may look just right for my Octy RS.

SKODA vRS147
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Like them - do you have a price on them ?

drew-8888
18-04-2011, 11:11 AM
A few things I've tinkered with on my 09 vRS TDi DSG

1 -obtained a compatable quadlock plug from a guy off Briskoda in UK and have run an oldschool Nokia CK-7W into the Bolero headunit.
Mutes audio, pauses cd etc and volume control on steering wheel is nice.

2 - fitted my triple TDF airhorns behind the bumper. stealth mounted a switch! (wanna be team car)

3 - had an old CB radio lying around. Got that under the passenger seat with cig socket to power it. very large PA horn speaker mounted behind passenger spot light (accessed and mounted from wheel arch - again wanna be team car)

4 - cig socket hard wired under dash to power GPS and iphone chargers.

5 - LED driving lights (mounted in blanking plate alongside spot lights - got them cheap on ebay and are perfect fit... dont use them much!)

6 - rola racks and bike carriers (for the surf boards and bikes)

7 - original owner had DVD fitted, I've sourced antenna adaptor leads so the RF audio modulator now works through radio

cheers
Drew
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QEPq8Ih9FR3ffw7t38Zrnbb6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/nCcylrFlaQ2b3T4gwHxX07b6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1kH5uD2x5CkNF6Vy5meJVrb6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-B7o4b2rPbFltFztrykVd7b6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/djUXUjn6jLI4U_mF1i_4jrb6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fxbxrFQtaLkpXaCXrmqfmbb6hNTVAdMh1_0JOr-AnX8?feat=directlink

Gti Dave
18-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Like them - do you have a price on them ?

Nope not yet but they'd be pretty darn expensive by the looks of them.

Fireside
12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Here's my list of mods on my Black RS Wagon:

1. ECU Upgrade + DSG remap
2. Darkest legal tinted windows
3. APR Carbonio Cold Air Intake system
4. Honeycomb Grill from superskoda.com
5. Bridgestone Potenza Adrenaline RE002 Tyres
6. Skoda badge valve covers (on tyre valves)

I've also bought eyebrow but need to get them spayed before I fit them.

MORE TO COME!!! Watch this space!

dru
12-05-2011, 08:28 PM

How did you like the APR Carbonio CAI? I've eyed it off a few times but it is quite expensive isn't it.

Fireside
13-05-2011, 12:13 AM
I reckon it's my favorite mod so far! Highly recommended!
Just the sound of the turbo spooling and popping makes me smile every day.
I've barely turned the radio on in the car since I installed it. PLUS the OEM exhaust now has a throatier note to it... Its awesome.

Boost has lifted a bit too, you'll defiantly feel the difference in S mode. Not great gains in power, but you'll feel the difference in throttle response and power delivery.

I paid $480 (for stage 1) during the APR Easter sale, just down at Melbourne Performance Center. the install is a piece of piss too.
But trust me mate, it's worth every penny.

dArK5HaD0w
13-05-2011, 07:06 AM

very nice list of mods there :)
#1 & 3 r on high on my wish list, followed by 4.

my very 1st mod was the tyre valves too!!! bhahahha. i got theses......
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/skodatyrevalves-1.jpg

i wonder if i should let insurance know......
lol

woofy
13-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Probably...each valve cap adds 2 kW.

Fireside
13-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Plus they increase torque and overall heckticness! Your premiums are sure to double!

woofy
13-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Nah hecticness only comes from decals.....especially HKS, GFB, Greddy etc etc..

redline3345
28-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Interested in getting stage 1 ECU upgrade to my vRS 2.0 TSi, but keen to hear from others regarding a couple of issues: 1. Does the mod have any effect on the lag/hesitation with DSG from standstill takeoff (& sometimes rolling acceleration) & 2. With standard power, full throttle take-offs usually result in a wheelspinning (& sometimes axle-tramping) embarrassing mess - it takes a few revolutions of the front wheels spinning before the TC cuts in & out, by which time the whole exercise is basically fruitless. I can modulate the power input to mostly avoid the wheelspin, but then it's only a part-power take off, which defies the advantage of all the power available. How does the extra power from the ECU upgrade factor with take-offs?

redline3345
28-05-2011, 07:44 AM
A few things I've tinkered with on my 09 vRS TDi DSG

1 -obtained a compatable quadlock plug from a guy off Briskoda in UK and have run an oldschool Nokia CK-7W into the Bolero headunit.
Mutes audio, pauses cd etc and volume control on steering wheel is nice.

2 - fitted my triple TDF airhorns behind the bumper. stealth mounted a switch! (wanna be team car)

3 - had an old CB radio lying around. Got that under the passenger seat with cig socket to power it. very large PA horn speaker mounted behind passenger spot light (accessed and mounted from wheel arch - again wanna be team car)

4 - cig socket hard wired under dash to power GPS and iphone chargers.

5 - LED driving lights (mounted in blanking plate alongside spot lights - got them cheap on ebay and are perfect fit... dont use them much!)

6 - rola racks and bike carriers (for the surf boards and bikes)

7 - original owner had DVD fitted, I've sourced antenna adaptor leads so the RF audio modulator now works through radio

cheers
Drew
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Drew, do you have more details of the quadlock plug / contact? Been trying to source one to connect my BT. Cheers

Fireside
01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I noticed that after my ECU upgrade the turbo lag wasn't as severe as it was before but yes I experience wheel spin off the line and it's tricky to put a lot of power down without wheelspin and the TSC shudder we all know. Lag/hesitation is only evident in D mode, never in S. not to sound like a total hoon, but I smoked an SV6 commo at the lights on my way home from work this arvo and even tho I got a bit of spin (in S), once I hit about 3500 RPM it was smooth sailing from then on.

However, I'm told that there is a DSG remap update making it's way from Europe shortly. This will fix the lag in D mode.
I'm going to see my tuner (Evolve Technik) tomorrow arvo so I'll ask about that DSG program.

I'm stoked... having my anti-lift and front and rear sway bars fitted, it will be interesting to see whether the anti-lift will help keep a bit more power planted to the road at all.

I'll keep you posted man!

MarksVRS
01-06-2011, 08:33 PM
How does the extra power from the ECU upgrade factor with take-offs?

I expect it may become more of a handful to manage! The biggest gain will be overtaking scenarios. Anything that reduces the time on the wrong side of the road is a good thing....

Has anyone chipped the TDI FL model? I am keen to do it although thinking it will need to be a post-warranty mod.

redline3345
01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys - thought that would be the case - shame the vRS is not AWD!

bobski
02-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I expect it may become more of a handful to manage! The biggest gain will be overtaking scenarios. Anything that reduces the time on the wrong side of the road is a good thing....

And hopefully there's no torque steer to help you pull out to overtake :P

Fireside
03-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys - thought that would be the case - shame the vRS is not AWD!

It can be... all you have to do is find a wrecker that's got a banged-up Scout in his yard!
But I bet you'll find more needles in haystacks before you find that golden goose!

Fireside
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Hey guys, just an update on my mods list (thanks to some great advice from monkeysrus and others on VWWC).

7. Whiteline Anti-lift Kit (WALK)
8. Whiteline Front Sway bar
9. Whiteline Adjustable Rear Sway bar
10. Koni FSD Shock Absorbers
11. Eibach Pro Spring Kit

And if your wondering if I've won the lotto, the answer is no unfortunately... all my clients have decided to pay up before 30 June. Wish it was like this all the time!

Next might be brakes... or a cat back system. But not for a while. I'll have to save my pennies.

Fireside
03-06-2011, 11:13 PM
it will be interesting to see whether the anti-lift will help keep a bit more power planted to the road at all.

I'll keep you posted man![/QUOTE]

The verdict in and yes, my traction has improved 10-fold with the bars and walk fitted.
Traction is not an issue anymore and I couldn't be happier with the result. It wont cost a fortune either, Whiteline Anti-lift Kit was about $280 from AutoBarns about the same for the Rear bar and a bit less for the front bar. I installed the rear myself and got a tuner to do the rest, about 3 hours work in all (less my time of course).

Look into it man, was well worth the money.

brad
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Can you tell me more about the Koni FSD & the Springs? Also, the ALK has me intrigued.

Very interested in the cons (increased NVH?, excessively noticeable by others in the car, not a good idea for a P-Plater?) as well as the pros.

kamold
25-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Have my Octi finallly! Loving it so far :banana:

Already have my eyes on a few little tweaks and mods.
I have enabled the fog lights turn assists via VCDS, upgraded firmware on the RNS510 to 3970 in anticipation of hopefully being able to integrate some custom POIs via the SD slot and PoInspect0r.
Invisibleshield protection package
Tints

Have the following parts on order:
Custom number plate brackets from Larkin
LED interior lighting package from Superskoda
SSD to retrofit into the RNS510

Considering an ECU upgrade if funds permit
Will look at improving the sound insulation in the boot
Maybe Whiteline ALK as I hate breaking traction in a front wheel drive car. Am kind of missing the off the line performance of A3 but we all have to grow up some day :)

dru
25-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Very nice! I am also considering the WALK in the future but next on my list is to get a bunch of LED stuff plus some neat little trims from superskoda...maybe even take the octavia off the boot.

Definitely get the tune, the difference is amazing :)

dru
27-07-2011, 08:40 AM
A few things I have found this morning..

Guide to fit Lights in Footwell!! In Spanish - Translates best with Googletranslate
Club Octavia Espaņa (http://www.octaviaclub.es/foro/showthread.php?8085-Footwell-light-luz-reposapies-brico&highlight=consumo)

Chinese Octavia has LED Taillights! Again, in Spanish - Wonder if we can get a few sets :P
Club Octavia Espaņa (http://www.octaviaclub.es/foro/showthread.php?7460-El-Octavia-chino-lleva-leds-en-las-luces-traseras....&highlight=consumo)

kamold
27-07-2011, 09:32 AM
My spanish not so good...if you are registered, can you post a translated version?

kamold
28-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Well I tried the 3970 firmware but custom POI import doesn't work so rolled back to 2760 and made a custom nav disk with fixed cameras and school zones which looks like the best that I can do at the moment. Pretty happy with the result though, its not that difficult to create a new disk every few months with new speed cameras added. SD card would be ideal but if we lived in an ideal world we wouldn't have 2 year old nav data on our expensive Columbus units!! :)

muggo05
29-07-2011, 09:59 AM
A few things I have found this morning..

Guide to fit Lights in Footwell!! In Spanish - Translates best with Googletranslate
Club Octavia Espaņa (http://www.octaviaclub.es/foro/showthread.php?8085-Footwell-light-luz-reposapies-brico&highlight=consumo)

Chinese Octavia has LED Taillights! Again, in Spanish - Wonder if we can get a few sets :P
Club Octavia Espaņa (http://www.octaviaclub.es/foro/showthread.php?7460-El-Octavia-chino-lleva-leds-en-las-luces-traseras....&highlight=consumo)

I cant see either of these also. would love to know what the LED tail lights look like, if they are any good then i want some!!

dru
29-07-2011, 05:56 PM
SKODA (http://www.skoda.com.cn/skoda/pages/home/index.do)

Squiz through that. Interesting to note that they still have the older style 18's!

kamold
01-08-2011, 05:30 PM
For anyone who hasn't seen what custom pois look like here is a pic of the schoolzone and fixed camera pois that I've added into my maps
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/31b9a78f55ac42eb-1.jpg
The icon I used for the cameras is a bit ordinary but does the job.
Shame you can't get it to do an alert as well as you approach.

dru
01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Wish I had the Columbus in my octavia and not the bolero :(

kamold
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi Fireside, was wondering if you could share any more of your experience with your suspension upgrades now that you have had some time to settle into them.

Would you think that the WALK by itself would provide a big enough improvement to takeoff performance without any additional parts? I can't afford to do much more than that at this point but am still not a fan of the dreaded front-wheel drive shudder from the TC when trying to put the foot down.

If there were a 4motion Octavia vRS I would have gone for it as I thought the Haldex in my previous A3 was brilliant.

Fireside
05-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Hey Kamoid,
I cant really give you the answer to that one mate as I fitted the WALK and roll bars all at the same time.
What I can tell you is that I get a fair bit less traction from a standing start when my rear bar is set to its softest setting.

The Koni FSD / Eibach combo is brilliant though. I put them on about a week after all the bars and the difference in handling and ride comfort was massive. With just bars fitted the ride is really jittery and super stiff, it did my head in so much that I had to upgrade the springs asap. Mind you, I surf a fair bit and I'm always driving down pretty dodgy coastal roads, so you might not have as much need to upgrade suspension as I did. But in my case; Whiteline rollbars and OEM springs = super uncomfortable!

Fireside
05-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Can you tell me more about the Koni FSD & the Springs? Also, the ALK has me intrigued.

Very interested in the cons (increased NVH?, excessively noticeable by others in the car, not a good idea for a P-Plater?) as well as the pros.

Hey Brad, here is a list of pros & cons of the Koni / Eibach / Whiteline setup after a few months use:

CONS:
Harder, stiffer ride,
Potholes are a problem, (big ones make the lid on the centre dash compartment spring open),
Gutter scraping (both front bumper and rear exhaust),
Speedhumps have to be teated with respect :bangheadwall:,
At low speed you can feel almost every bump on the road.

PROS
Looks tougher lowered,
Great traction off the line,
Flatter through corners (really noticeable on tracks like Winton),
Brilliant handling (better that OEM GTI),
Forgiving over bumps at high speed,
Heaps less body roll,
A lot less nose diving under hard brakes.

The pros out way the cons for sure, I highly recommend it if your looking for sporty handling without being too stiff.
Here's where I got them in VIC:
http://www.toperformance.com.au/index2.html

kamold
05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences Fireside, no amount of marketing material comes close to first hand knowledge :)

bluefrog
14-08-2011, 04:57 PM
hey gents, I'm giving some serious thought to procuring myself a TSI Octavia RS wagon, and plan throw some APR gear at it .. but I'm more than a little confused by the stage 3 options listed by APR ... has anyone had experience with stage 3 for octavia ??

Turbocharger Systems - Stage 3
- Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0T FSI S3 K04 Turbo Upgrade
- Skoda Octavia vRS Stage III Upgrade
- APR 2.0 TSI Transversal Stage 3 Turbo System

(as shown on APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://goapr.com.au/products/apr_skoda_products.html))

thanks in advance!

brad
14-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Stage 3 is very "balls out" for a FWD family wagon - 235kw & 430+Nm. Don't forget that you probably want to throw some $$$ at suspension & brakes as well.

Your best idea (if you are set on APR) is to give Guy a ring & go through the options. There are other purveyors of go fast bits for Skodas out there too.

My interpretation of the above is that (1) i a conversion to Audi S3 specs with a KO4; (2) is similar but with a GT27, HPFP & injectors; (3) is an inlet & turbo. But you are right - there isn't a lot of info there when you start dealing in specifics.

bluefrog
14-08-2011, 05:48 PM
thanks Brad .. yeah after driving the R i'm very keen on the idea of a balls out family wagon ; )

brad
14-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Fair enough. It all comes down too how calibrated the right foot is & how quickly you expect to pull out of side streets.

I'd find it somewhat frustrating after the AWD of the R

dru
14-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe through some money at getting the AWD running gear from a scout too while your at it :)

Stage 3 would be nice, although even after stage 1 tune there is already alot of spin & torque steer! Would be fun though!

bluefrog
15-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe through some money at getting the AWD running gear from a scout too while your at it :)

Stage 3 would be nice, although even after stage 1 tune there is already alot of spin & torque steer! Would be fun though!

mmmmm, 300kw family wagon : )

any idea where I should look for the Scout-sourced AWD gear ??

Gti Dave
16-08-2011, 09:08 PM
mmmmm, 300kw family wagon : )

any idea where I should look for the Scout-sourced AWD gear ??

woohoo!!!!!! 300kw wagon!!! Now that's what I call a sleeper. I bet you you're kids are gonna go "wat da hell?" the first time you step on it after the mods. LOL.

kamold
31-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Just finished replacing the 40GB HDD in my Columbus with a 64GB SDD. Now have 40GB of available space for music.

Also replaced the front and rear turn signal globes with amber LED globes for that 'instant-on instant-off' effect rather than the delayed die off effect you get from regular filament globes. No reason, just because I could :) LEDs in the number plate now as well as full interior.
I reckon it looks cleaner and more modern, though not as nice as the full LED setups like on the Q7 etc.

Am awaiting delivery of some PW21W LED replacements for the stop lamps, will see if they work OK. This is actually a useful safety feature as the very fast light up time actually gives traffic behind those few extra milliseconds to react in an emergency situation. Doesn't sound like much but could mean the difference between a light tap as opposed to a solid shove if you get rear-ended...

Transporter
01-09-2011, 07:07 AM
That's great mod, I'm sure you meant 30gb hdd. Step by step how to with the pictures taken would be nice, some would like it. :)
Did it improve start up time of the unit?
...and finally, where did you get you SSD drive from and how much was it, if I could ask? You can PM me, if you like.

kamold
01-09-2011, 07:43 AM
The OEM Hitachi drive in my RNS510 was a 40GB drive. They have been usiung 40GB rather than 30GB for a while now I believe. Still pretty small but the automotive/industrial grade HDDs are always lower capacity than standard laptop 2.5 inch drives.

I used the excellent guide posted by JohnC which has great photos and detailed step by step instructions.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f78/rns-510-hdd-replacement-ssd-swap-diy-60984-2.html

The only thing not in the guide is the removal of the head unit from the dash. Just a matter of prying off the plastic surround (I bought trim removal tools to ensure no chance of damage however a screwdriver will work, just be careful.)
HU is held in the dash with 4x T20 screws.

I used this cheap drive off Ebay:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290432693462?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

(Kingspec 2.5 inch 64GB PATA SSD)

They are on special at the moment, $100 plus shipping of $16.

dru
01-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Just finished replacing the 40GB HDD in my Columbus with a 64GB SDD. Now have 40GB of available space for music.

Also replaced the front and rear turn signal globes with amber LED globes for that 'instant-on instant-off' effect rather than the delayed die off effect you get from regular filament globes. No reason, just because I could :) LEDs in the number plate now as well as full interior.
I reckon it looks cleaner and more modern, though not as nice as the full LED setups like on the Q7 etc.

Am awaiting delivery of some PW21W LED replacements for the stop lamps, will see if they work OK. This is actually a useful safety feature as the very fast light up time actually gives traffic behind those few extra milliseconds to react in an emergency situation. Doesn't sound like much but could mean the difference between a light tap as opposed to a solid shove if you get rear-ended...

Where did you get the bulbs from and what ones? I can only find the ones off superskoda?

kamold
01-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Got these ones for the indicator globes:

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180711759952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

These are the T10 (small ceiling globes for the interior)

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280705360980?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

I got a set of the superskoda ones for the boot and the front ceiling lights. Boot ones are good but you don't really need to get the supoerskoda ones for the interior globes. Just get generic 42mm festoon 9SMD LEDs and T10s, they don't look much different once in the fitting due to the cover.

octaviars
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM
My mods list:
MF steering wheel (vRS manual),
9W7 Bluetooth,
Tint.....

kamold
10-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Now have the HDD repartitioned in my RNS510 for maximum music space.
Have written a guide here
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f78/how-re-partition-hdd-your-rns510-62954.html

Transporter
10-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I also made a link to it in this stickie http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f149/d-i-y-maintenance-inc-oil-info-also-links-popular-useful-threads-44764.html#post507169 . Great work mate. :)

kamold
13-09-2011, 08:54 PM
OK so the LED PW21W globes arrived.
Despite being advertised as CANbus error free, they indicate bulb out. Plus they are not bright enough compared to the filament globes. Back to the drawing board, will need to look at either the Chinese OEM taillamp assembiles or aftermarket ones from Milotech or something...

muggo05
18-10-2011, 01:20 PM
if you find out how/where to get some of the Chinese OEM ones, i'll be in that buy with you Kamold.

team_v
18-10-2011, 06:37 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/10/SkodaRSOctavia2-1.jpg

Like the front bumper, not sure about the grill

dArK5HaD0w
20-01-2012, 03:26 PM
i'm looking at getting the suspension lowered (20mm) on mine.
anyone got any recomendations - mainly of where in sydney/canberra that can do it?

at the moment, i'm looking at H&R, Eibach or Weitec springs.
if i don't go more than 20mm, stock shocks should b fine.....so seems to b the general concensus.

trying to find who in oz can supply and/or fit the springs on my car.
i prefer not to ship them in from overseas. i'm looking for a 1 stop shop - where they supply & fit.

i'm not changing the wheels, as previouly planned. i like the look of the neptunes. they suit the color well.
i just need to reduce the gap between rubber & wheel arch :)

romaniac
22-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know much about Milotec exhausts? I've noticed they do one for the Superb's but can't seem to find any info online about experiences? Also I haven't found any other companies that seem to offer exhaust options for the 2.0tdi engine. here's the link

Milotec Auto-Extras GmbH - Skoda Tuning und Zubehr - Exhaust (http://milotec.de/index.php?cat=c345_Exhaust.html&XTCsid=1a18ccf1414e24be8aa317d5be0fee3e)

bluefrog
25-01-2012, 03:10 PM
i'm looking at getting the suspension lowered (20mm) on mine.
anyone got any recomendations - mainly of where in sydney/canberra that can do it?

at the moment, i'm looking at H&R, Eibach or Weitec springs.
if i don't go more than 20mm, stock shocks should b fine.....so seems to b the general concensus.

trying to find who in oz can supply and/or fit the springs on my car.
i prefer not to ship them in from overseas. i'm looking for a 1 stop shop - where they supply & fit.

i'm not changing the wheels, as previouly planned. i like the look of the neptunes. they suit the color well.
i just need to reduce the gap between rubber & wheel arch :)

hey JR, ask Brad - I think(?) he's based in Sydney, and he has some good contacts.

brad
26-01-2012, 03:46 PM
hey JR, ask Brad - I think(?) he's based in Sydney, and he has some good contacts.
If you want "german" springs then I guess Heasemans in Sydney would be a good place to start. They are the importeres for Bilstein. Expect to be treated with disdain & pay through the nose.

Wholesale Suspension at Penrith are always good value & easy to deal with - I'm sure they could work something out for you.

If you wish to stick with CBR, then there's a Fulcrums local. They are generally more on top of things than the "no bull" mob. Also try Capital Steering.

I have a mate in CBR with an MX5 that's had a lot of suspension work done - I'll send him an email & ask who he uses.

dArK5HaD0w
27-01-2012, 05:41 AM
If you want "german" springs then I guess Heasemans in Sydney would be a good place to start. They are the importeres for Bilstein. Expect to be treated with disdain & pay through the nose.

Wholesale Suspension at Penrith are always good value & easy to deal with - I'm sure they could work something out for you.

If you wish to stick with CBR, then there's a Fulcrums local. They are generally more on top of things than the "no bull" mob. Also try Capital Steering.

I have a mate in CBR with an MX5 that's had a lot of suspension work done - I'll send him an email & ask who he uses.

yeah, capital steering is on my shortlist.
a mate also mentioned inline steering & suspension - apparently he knows the octavias quite well. only problem is he gets busy.
will give him a call too.

dpmperfomance (uk) got back to me said it would cost me 125 GBP (185 AUD) to ship springs only to oz.

brad
27-01-2012, 10:22 AM
From my mate with the MX5 & RS wagon

The guy I use is Chris at Inline Steering in Queanbeyan.

If he gets busy that's a good sign. I've seen photos of his workshop - worth a visit as there's usually some nice machinery in there.

dArK5HaD0w
27-01-2012, 11:07 AM
From my mate with the MX5 & RS wagon
If he gets busy that's a good sign. I've seen photos of his workshop - worth a visit as there's usually some nice machinery in there.

yup, that's the one - Inline Steering & Suspension in Quenbeyan.
so that's another vote for that mob.
cheers.

Mysticality
01-03-2012, 10:23 PM
Strongly considering a muffler delete on my TDI.
Perhaps a new rear muffler and tip whilst I'm at it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the stock one... Just, I doubt I'll be able to save it, with the stock muffler disppearing. :D

Transporter
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Strongly considering a muffler delete on my TDI.
Perhaps a new rear muffler and tip whilst I'm at it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the look of the stock one... Just, I doubt I'll be able to save it, with the stock muffler disppearing. :D

You will gain only the increased noise. :)

Mysticality
01-03-2012, 11:29 PM
You will gain only the increased noise. :)

Thats what I'm going for.

I hate the typical CRDi "clacking" ... I want some turbo whine.
I want people to know its a diesel, look at me in disgust and then go white when they realise its disappeared over the horizon.

I wanna LIVE!
BY JOE, I WANNA LIVE!!!
/dramatization

dArK5HaD0w
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
yup, that's the one - Inline Steering & Suspension in Quenbeyan.
so that's another vote for that mob.
cheers.

unfortunately my springs have not arrived and will be delayed another 2 weeks!!!
i was booked next wednesday (7th mar) to get them installed.

makes me wonder - i put the deposit down on jan 27th. a month ago now.
admittedly i didn't want them installed till mar 7th, but surely the springs should've been well n truly delivered by now at inline suspension. assuming the orde was placed promptly.......
had i not chased them up, i probably would've rocked up next wednesday only to find out they don't have my springs.

they say the ship got delayed. hmmm.........

dazag
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Thats what I'm going for.

I hate the typical CRDi "clacking" ... I want some turbo whine.
I want people to know its a diesel, look at me in disgust and then go white when they realise its disappeared over the horizon.

I wanna LIVE!
BY JOE, I WANNA LIVE!!!
/dramatization

Hey Mysticality, have you checked out the Diesel section to see how other forum members have made their VW TDI's reliable over the long haul, go quick, sound good ( not so much noisy )??. Might be worth doing a bit more research before ya blow the fun cards......

Mysticality
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for reminding me of that subforum.
I was up until 4am reading it... /glare

dArK5HaD0w
02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
i'm selling my original springs.
link here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f24/fs-skoda-octavia-vrs-springs-70160.html) for those interested.

wfdTamar
23-06-2012, 06:00 PM
4x4 RS anyone?

Well, kinda - I just put a Bluefin in my 2008 Elegance TDI 4x4. Gone from 103Kw/320Nm to 132Kw/395Nm (TDI RS is 125/350). A K&N filter came with the Bluefin. Hoo mamma. Not that I'm a hoon, but overtaking will be a doddle now.

Because it's the plain jane 4x4 (not Scout) it's not jacked up, so handles like a standard Octavia and has 16" wheels - which I prefer to the 17 & 18's (most of my driving is on not so smooth country B roads).

Also got genuine carpet boot mat and floor mats set (with the 4x4 logo) & rubber boot mat and floor mats set. In the process of fitting a tow bar with removable neck and flip up electrics (and 12-pin flat connector).

Got/getting heaps of stuff to make it shiny from Waxit & CarCareProducts. High pressure washer & foam lance, Polisher with Menzerna, Duragloss (for paint), Nanolex (for wheels and glass).

kamold
25-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I wonder if guys in Europe have retrofitted the haldex and other running gear to vrs'?
It's a feature that I would have paid for had it been available.
I thought the setup in the A3 was brilliant.

Sent using electrickery

wfdTamar
26-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Sodding ebay - it's so addictive. Just popped on a brand new revision H RNS510 from Ireland for just under $1000 (jeez those things are pricey, although that was cheap). Where are they getting all the ones they sell on ebay? What are the people that pull them out putting in?

I missed out on winning an auction and got a second offer for what I bid (less than the winning bid).

Now, of course I'll have to get all the expensive crap that can connect to it.

Mysticality
26-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I wonder if guys in Europe have retrofitted the haldex and other running gear to vrs'?
It's a feature that I would have paid for had it been available.
I thought the setup in the A3 was brilliant.

Sent using electrickery

All the gadgetry appears to be there; this is one of my long-term planned mods. Eventually.
Like, when I have the spare cash to lay down on a project that may not work.

Man, I would love me some AWD.

wfdTamar
30-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Mechanically I reckon it would work, but the brains (ecu/canbus bizzo) might not be able to be convinced that the Haldex should be in the RS.

brad
30-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I think it would be "easier" to take a Scout or AWD Octavia & add a 2.0T to it.

zen3666
06-09-2012, 09:03 PM
looking forward for those pics...

sbm
13-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey,

If anyone is interested, i have an excel spreadsheet from the dealer listing all factory accessories for all Skoda models (Fabia, Superb etc), with part number, price and time to fit. (Australia only)

It may give you an idea on what you are up for if you want a dealer fitted part.

I don't have permission to attach it, but you can PM me and i can email it to you, otherwise if a moderator can find a good spot for it on the forum for all to access i can pass it on.

cheers

Sean

Fireside
28-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I think it would be "easier" to take a Scout or AWD Octavia & add a 2.0T to it.

Yeah, I agree.
Once someone wrecks a scout in Vicco, provided I have the cash to buy it cheap from the wreckers, I'm on this project.

Mysticality
29-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Finished my 3 days worth of project, today!
Fitting an amp and a sub to the Octy. Yay!

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/284216_10151189211823117_436215804_n.jpg

Tried clipping the LOC-IN wires to the speaker lines under the door sils, just ended up routing them to the back of the Columbus.
I am never removing that unit again... What a b*tch to put back in!!
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183476_10151189212198117_1761996185_n.jpg

And the finished project!!

I need to try and get some flush-mounting plugs so the sub is easily removed for when I actually want to use the boot.
I'm thinking one of these: 2 WAY PHENOLIC RCA Socket - Jaycar Electronics (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS0263&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=990)

dArK5HaD0w
30-09-2012, 10:33 AM
why didn't u put the amp under the passenger/driver seat?
....then again, it does look too big to fit under there!

ur right about the columbus - its a b1tch to put it back in with the big a55 quad-lock connectors.

Mysticality
30-09-2012, 04:59 PM
why didn't u put the amp under the passenger/driver seat?
....then again, it does look too big to fit under there!

I was originally going to, and on the way out to buy some MDF board to screw the amp onto under the carpet, I decided to line it up to see how it would fit.
... It stuck out halfway. XD

Putting it in the boot also solved my problem of not having the right drive bits to take the seat out.
The line out converter is mounted in the right hand storage box, too.
All in all, a rather neat job for a first go. :)

wfdTamar
10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Gawd. If I had to put something like that in (and it would be at gunpoint) I'd be trying to put it in the cubby holes at the rear side corners. Maybe two smaller ones instead of one big cumbersome one? Way to much of a reduction of useable space for my liking. I like to be able to hear and plan on keeping it when I'm an older duffer.

brad
10-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Gawd. If I had to put something like that in (and it would be at gunpoint) I'd be trying to put it in the cubby holes at the rear side corners. Maybe two smaller ones instead of one big cumbersome one? Way to much of a reduction of useable space for my liking. I like to be able to hear and plan on keeping it when I'm an older duffer.

While an install like that isn't my cup of tea either, it doesn't mean the system will be run at ear damaging levels.

cbay
14-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Hey,

If anyone is interested, i have an excel spreadsheet from the dealer listing all factory accessories for all Skoda models (Fabia, Superb etc), with part number, price and time to fit. (Australia only)

It may give you an idea on what you are up for if you want a dealer fitted part.

I don't have permission to attach it, but you can PM me and i can email it to you, otherwise if a moderator can find a good spot for it on the forum for all to access i can pass it on.

cheers

Sean

Hey mate, PM sent :)

Mysticality
14-10-2012, 01:19 PM

By that stage (3 days of ****ing around) I was just glad it was in and working.
I originally wanted to mount one on each side of the wall, next to the cubby holes with the amp under the passengers seat - but there's not enough room in any of those places.
When I have enough spare change to splurge on replacing that sub, I'll get a superslim one and I'll find somewhere better to put it.
But until then... That's what I've got.

I reckon I could enter competitions with this and the stock speaker system - its that good!!

While an install like that isn't my cup of tea either, it doesn't mean the system will be run at ear damaging levels.

Absolutely not - I like my hearing the way it is.
Well... Then again, windows down on Macquarie Pass with the music up is a different story!! ;)

But generally - it spends half of the time switched off. (Switch in roof console)

dArK5HaD0w
16-10-2012, 08:24 PM
my latest modification - audi paddle shifter extensions.....
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/paddlextension03-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/paddlextension05-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/paddlextension11-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/paddlextension14-1.jpg

Mysticality
16-10-2012, 08:26 PM
That actually looks pretty snazzy!!... Apart from the square holes in the front.

How much do you actually use the paddles?

gldgti
13-11-2012, 05:17 PM
I installed a sub in my boot too... put it off for a long time until I convinced myself I could live without using the storage in behind the trim panel on the RHS in the boot:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/IMAG0304-1.jpg

kamold
13-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I installed a sub in my boot too... put it off for a long time until I convinced myself I could live without using the storage in behind the trim panel on the RHS in the boot:

Ahhhhgggggg! The stock boot lights! My eyes!
Do yourself a favour and get some led lights.
Nice sub install btw :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

joele
16-11-2012, 06:59 PM
The led boot lights from super skoda are pretty awesome..

Been thinking if doing the same with a sub.. Did you upgrade all the speakers? Or just an amp and the sub? I was thinking of just that but not sure how useful that alone would be..

Mysticality
16-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Can't agree more RE: Superskoda LED's!!

Here's my sub/amp install. I use both of the storage cupboards, so they were out.
I'm going to (read: eventually) get a set of RCA sockets on a small metal board and mount that to the interior trim - just to look a little more professional, and a little friendlier to remove should I need the entire boot space. :)

Not bad for a total cost (at the end of installation) of $200!

dazag
24-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Have bought the TDI RS a Provent200 http://www.carformance.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/341026a1b2c34f68def1e647a27e0879/p/r/provent2.jpg(air/oil seperator) to fit up, a bit late considering that I have 75K on it now, but better late then never. Trying to work out where to fit it and have been toying with the idea of getting a APR intake which will free up some space and streamline the intake. ( check out Poyta's thread - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f28/poytas-gt-58691-3.html
Now that the car is out of warranty I might even look at getting a ECU tune as well..........

joele
27-11-2012, 01:24 PM
2012 Scout booked in for audio upgrade later in the week.. Not doing myself hopefully they do a much cleaner job than I would and less stress..

Replacing front and rear speakers with Focal PS165s, and dynamating (is that a word?) doors..

Also putting Focal IBUS 2.1 Compact Sub (front speakers run through it too) in the boot in one of the side compartments..

Will post pics and 'review' on the weekend..

Turtl
09-12-2012, 05:06 PM
DP Chip (Calculated to be now 148kw, 430Nm - at wheels 129.2kw peak 4200rpm, torque spread is now 80%@1500rpm, 100% 1750-3150rpm - Dyno done prior to below mods)
Illegal tint to match rear privacy
Cold air intake to boost power a little more (not sure of impact)
Hi-flow air filter to help boost power a little more (not sure of impact)
nano diesel filter to make sure the fuel is clean

Mysticality
09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
DP Chip (Calculated to be now 148kw, 430Nm - at wheels 129.2kw peak 4200rpm, torque spread is now 80%@1500rpm, 100% 1750-3150rpm - Dyno done prior to below mods)
Illegal tint to match rear privacy
Cold air intake to boost power a little more (not sure of impact)
Hi-flow air filter to help boost power a little more (not sure of impact)
nano diesel filter to make sure the fuel is clean

Where did you get the chip and CAI?
How much?
I see you're in Richmond, so I figure you can get these parts in Sydney?

What type of chip is it? One of those sensor reading altering parts?
How well does the car run now?

Incase you can't tell - I'm a little excited. :)

wfdTamar
10-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok here's one to make it go faster. - a decent number plate bracket and cover. From about $170 from Lakinplates.com.au. Really neat and solid.

zei20t
15-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Got my windows tinted on the windows.

Add another +1 to Robert @ Hunters Hill Tinting.

Did my Octavia and my sisters Mazda 2. Fantastic job, I wouldn't bother calling anyone else next time.

The Speedfighter
22-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Got my windows tinted on the windows.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/youdontsay_zpsa9b4c559-1.jpg

Mate, just a joke ;)

zei20t
23-01-2013, 07:52 AM
doh, massive typo! the second 'windows' was supposed to read 'octavia' :)

The Speedfighter
23-01-2013, 08:24 AM
doh, massive typo! the second 'windows' was supposed to read 'octavia' :)

Thought that would've been the case ;)

zei20t
23-01-2013, 08:52 AM
English is my 2nd language

that's a lie. its barely my first

Mysticality
23-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Today was our 13 month anniversary...
Today was also the day she hit 55,000km!!

So I bought her a new pair of shoes to celebrate. :)

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/397463_10151382312668117_1796597611_n.jpg
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/76950_10151382312528117_394001120_n.jpg
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295317_10151382312438117_1054050809_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/29591_10151382312648117_77230999_n.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/66417_10151382312713117_406182304_n.jpg

Tigger
24-01-2013, 07:18 AM
Wow! what a different look mate! It makes it look like it is sitting so much lower for some reason...
Well done!

How does she handle now?

No vibrations or alignment / tramlining issues?

How does the road noise sound?

The Speedfighter
24-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Matt, wow just wow!!!

well done on the choice mate, looks great on this car!!!!!!

Glad to see you went with 18" afterall ;)

Mysticality
24-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Wow! what a different look mate! It makes it look like it is sitting so much lower for some reason...
Well done!

How does she handle now?

No vibrations or alignment / tramlining issues?

How does the road noise sound?

It LOOKS like its sitting lower, because it IS... ;)
100kg of Neptunes in the boot will do that, especially when the entire interior contains a few magazines, a couple of phones and a wallet... And not much else. :P

Handles a little better - I'm guessing the new ones are a little lighter than the old. Braking is a lot better. Grips really strong when you first hit the pedal.
On the corners... Not so great. But that's down to these el-cheapo Rapid P906 tyres. They grip great on a straight line, but the sideways stuff... Lets not talk about that.
Would rather go back to my not-quite-so-el-cheapo Sava's. They didn't hold up very well in a straight line (lots of spin on gear changes, especially 1->2 and 2->3, but sideways they were miles better.

There was a balancing issue, but that only presented itself when I was near home. Went back to Tempe Tyres today and had them rebalanced for nothing.
I walked in, the guy turned around and knew me straight away, took the keys, marked urgent on the job sheet and I was in and out in about 30min. Feels perfect now.

Road noise... Again, lets not talk about that. :P
Its very loud - but its always been loud.
I had a ride in Lex's sedan and was amazed by the silence. Maybe its just a diesel thing?
I drove down an alley tonight, with high wooden fences on either side... Literally about an hour ago, so dead quiet. Not even trying to make noise - my turbo is so loud now.
Not so sure if thats a good thing on a quiet night!! :P

Matt, wow just wow!!!

well done on the choice mate, looks great on this car!!!!!!

Glad to see you went with 18" afterall ;)

Hahah - cheers. :D
When I lined them up against the car, I loved them... But when I was sitting down whilst the work was being done, I was worried... Went outside, saw only one on the car and instantly loved it.
Looks better in the flesh. ;)

Yeah - After the bloke at Tempe Tyres mentioned they had both 225/40R18's AND 225/45R17's for $89 I thought "Bugger that, 18 it is!"

Also - they'll match my headlights perfectly. ;)
http://www.superskoda.com/news/Project-finished-Octavia-II-Facelift-headlights-with-BLACK-housing-
... And my tails. ;)
milotec.de/popup_image.php?pID=2891&imgID=0

wfdTamar
25-01-2013, 07:43 AM
Installed door sill protectors (with 4x4 logo) and boot sill (bumper) protector. Also got the umbrella tray that fits under the flap of the boot cover. LED interior lights (roof and boot) which don't work properly in the front (the side ones don't turn off completely). They're a bit too white and bright for my liking. All from SuperSkoda (except the boot lights - ebay).

Martin
25-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Here is my car after ~20mm lowering

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98085974/IMAG0162.jpg

zei20t
25-01-2013, 07:57 AM
that's only 20mm? looks great!

I was gonna go around 35mm. maybe ill go 20 instead.

The Speedfighter
25-01-2013, 08:27 AM

I concur on that one!!!!

it looks like so much more though!!!!

Where did you get the springs/coil-overs from??

dArK5HaD0w
25-01-2013, 02:23 PM

i got eibachs 20mm drop for mine - but my rears didn't drop as much as my fronts did :(
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/DSCF2359-1.jpg

The Speedfighter
25-01-2013, 02:28 PM
i got eibachs 20mm drop for mine - but my rears didn't drop as much as my fronts did :(
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/05/DSCF2359-1.jpg

I think that the Skoda's need to be dropped front 20mm and back 30mm to make the car perfectly horizontal :)

Martin
25-01-2013, 02:42 PM
it looks like so much more though!!!!

Where did you get the springs/coil-overs from??

Mine does look like it's dropped a fair way - deceptive
My rear looks lower than Dark5hadow's

One important point to note, when you park at places where the nose will be over a concrete edge/curb
My car currently sits only 1cm above those concrete curbs - I would be damaging the bumper if it was any lower

I got VWR springs which are available from any APR dealer (see APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://www.goapr.com.au/dealer/index.html))
They are a straight swap for the stock the springs and have a progressive (increasing) rate
These will not damage my shocks

The eibach kit is a very similar and good kit - much cheaper also

dArK5HaD0w
25-01-2013, 03:18 PM
I think that the Skoda's need to be dropped front 20mm and back 30mm to make the car perfectly horizontal :)

actually, my fronts dropped 30mm, and the rears dropped 20mm!!
i'm not sure if the "heavier dsg" or lighter backend of the liftback (compared to a wagon) contributed to the "nose dive"

the eibachs prokits states a 20mm drop all round. i got the version specific for the rs liftback. the wagon has a different part no.

My rear looks lower than Dark5hadow's

yup, noticebly lower than mine.
those r 18s right?

Martin
25-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Yes mate, after market Golf R 18"

cbay
31-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Changed low beams (H7) and side/parking lights to Phillips Blue Vision Ultra.

Comparison with stock Osram's (right).
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/octylights-1.jpg

Close up after finishing the passenger side too.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/octylights2-1.jpg

Not that much difference overall, just looks a little less yellow. Definitely not a completely 'white' or 'blue' output.

Martin
31-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Yeah I did the same thing
While it's not ultra white it's much better than stock (yellow)
and should be easier on the eyes during long night time drives

andymarc
31-01-2013, 03:27 PM

I like that install too..
Did you make a custom box or is the the sub mounted on a mdf carpeted panel?

I have a 12" response sub at home from my old commodore which i have been meaning to put in (even bought hi quality H/L converters from the US) but havent yet due to being too lazy to make a custom box!

Transporter
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Not really the modification, but it looks good.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/8532662698_fb1cbddfbe_c-2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60080395@N04/8532662698/)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/8531552555_df4618328a_c-2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60080395@N04/8531552555/)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/8532663398_1885f744fb_c-2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60080395@N04/8532663398/)

Twin_Dad
06-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Cheesy,

but i like it.

gldgti
11-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I like that install too..
Did you make a custom box or is the the sub mounted on a mdf carpeted panel?

I have a 12" response sub at home from my old commodore which i have been meaning to put in (even bought hi quality H/L converters from the US) but havent yet due to being too lazy to make a custom box!

I used the factory panel as a template to make an MDF panel with the hole for the speaker and the port. I just covered it with standard car carpet from bunnings.

gldgti
17-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Almost got my GTI brakes in this weekend... until I realised that my car has 50mm struts in the front... could have sworn it was 55mm.

Anyhoo, here are pics of the re-colour coded GTI brakes to suit the marque:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/IMAG0383_zps220d0a6c-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/IMAG0384_zps1bf7807a-1.jpg

Anyone else with base model octavias wanting to upgrade brakes - your parts list will look something like:

> GTI/TFSI/VRS bearing carrier
> """ caliper carriers and calipers
> Set of four brake caliper carrier to beairng carrier bolts (you wont have these!)
> Bearing kit is a good idea
> new shocks/front struts with 55mm body's

cbay
18-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to see everything put back together.

I reckon those would look real nice behind your wheels gldgti

gldgti
18-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks mate - yeah I'm hoping once I get it all sorted with the rear calipers colour coded green aswell it should look great (especially rolling!)

vRS Carl
28-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Posted this elsewhere, but will post here too. If anyone want's any advice/info about any of the mods i'm always happy to help. :)

Last Car.

MY07 Octavia vRS 2.0 TFSi Race Blue Hatchback - Bought new Mar 2007 REVO Stage 2 (270bhp dyno dynamics proven), Milltek Full TBE, EVOMS CAI, APR Fuel Pump, Neuspeed Turbo Discharge, Neuspeed Hi-Flow Intercooler pipe, BSH Stage 2 Catch Can, Modified OEM Engine Cover for EVOMS, Audi S3 All Alloy Intercooler, VF Engineering Engine, Transmission and Dog Bone Mounts, R32 Brakes with J-Hooked discs, Audi S3 Lower Control Arms, Eibach front and rear ARB, Koni FSD Suspension and Eibach springs, OEM RNS 510 retro fitted, OEM Sun Blinds, Catvision Interior lighting mod, Fiscon Basic Plus bluetooth with OEM Microphone, Drivers seat storage box, LED interior lighting, LED Number plate lights, Carbon Fibre wrapped interior and parts of Exterior, LED DRL retrofitted, 55w Xenon HID retrofitted, Cruise Control retrofitted. L&K LED Door handle lights Retro fitted. Relocated DV to K04 position.

Current car

MY2011 vRS 2.0TSi Estate, 6spd DSG, Anthracite Grey - Bought new June 2011 with every factory fit optional extra except RNS510 (retrofitted by myself on day of delivery). Revo Stage 1, ITG Panel Filter, Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Pipe, Neuspeed Hi-Flow Intercooler Pipe, OEM Audi S3 all alloy intercooler, VF Engineering Engine, Transmission and Lower Mounts, Audi S3 Lower Control Arms, Eibach Front and Rear ARB's, OSIR Aluminium DSG Paddles, RNS510 with latest firmware and maps. Blue LED Interior lights and White LED boot lights, Catvison Interior Light and OEM interior light moved to rear, Full OEM Skoda Sun blinds, Full interior soundproofing (floor, doors, side panels and wheel arches) L&K LED Door handle lights Retro fitted. Audi Jacking point mounts, 345mm Front Brakes with J-Hooked discs. Colour coded front grille surround. Front bumper lower lip Spolier, Fully detailed and protected with Swissvax, FinishKare and Gtechniq products.

Here is a pic of the last and current car

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/OldCar0011-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/06/Car0011-1.jpg

MountainBikeMike
18-07-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/8532662698_fb1cbddfbe_c-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60080395@N04/8532662698/)

Hey mate,

Got a set of these sitting at home ready to go. Did you wire them in to the red door lights? If so, how did you physical wire them, which wires to which wires.

Cheers,

Mysticality
20-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Hey mate,

Got a set of these sitting at home ready to go. Did you wire them in to the red door lights? If so, how did you physical wire them, which wires to which wires.

Cheers,

Hey!
I have these as well.
The red door lights have two wires, as do the projector lights.

If you have them set to the wrong polarity - they just won't light up, so you swap the wires over! :)

-Cheers

MountainBikeMike
22-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey!
I have these as well.
The red door lights have two wires, as do the projector lights.

If you have them set to the wrong polarity - they just won't light up, so you swap the wires over! :)

-Cheers

Thanks, love em.

Gday to another scouts member as well. I was in it for 7 years but I stopped about 5 years ago as mountainbiking took up all my spare timing with at least 12 races a year etc..

Mysticality
22-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks, love em.

Gday to another scouts member as well. I was in it for 7 years but I stopped about 5 years ago as mountainbiking took up all my spare timing with at least 12 races a year etc..

No worries!! :)

I'm still a member, but I don't have the time anymore... Haven't been in awhile. :(

kamold
25-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I think I've finally stopped the dreaded glovebox squeak that has been plagueing me on and off for a while now. Have only been able to quiet it on a temporary basis with tightening screws or using silicon sprays.

I used some pieces of non-slip mat (the perforated stuff you get for about $3 from BigW or Supercheap or heaps of other places. I cut them into about 50c piece sized pieces and then removed the screws and put the pieces of mat in between the glovebox and dash plastic at the mount points, then put the screws pack through the hole and through the middle of the non-slip mat piece. I only had to do the two screw points at the dash end where you remove the plastic cover.

The result is complete silence from that side of the car, something I've not experienced since a few months into ownership.

I can take some pictures if anyone wants more detail but its pretty self-explainatory.

MountainBikeMike
26-07-2013, 04:41 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f149/my-rs-cargo-pocket-fibreglass-sub-build-lots-pics-88268.html#post975125

New mod! Enjoy

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/9369495458_a54fa2ef49_c-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90872252@N02/9369495458/)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/9369495540_3a0f86f982_c-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/90872252@N02/9369495540/)

kamold
30-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Continuing on my quest to rid the world (or at least my Octy) of filament globes...

I bought these (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-BA15s-1156-12-SMD-5050-CREE-Q5-7W-LED-Rear-Front-Light-Wholesale-and/595092230.html) ones. They are available in white, red and yellow (and blue and green?)

They appear very well built and I think worth spending a little more than some of the cheaper looking constructions floating around.
They have a lensed 7w Cree led and 12 SMD leds around the shaft so give off a very good projected light as well as filling the OEM housing in the same way as a filament globe.

Installed one white set as reverse lights and one set to test of reds in my stop lamps (right side). I had previously tried some white LEDs in the tails but they dont work well as they are brighter than the filament globes they replace so look pink through the red plastic.

The red ones actually look red and are slightly brighter than the stock globes. More importantly they light up full brightness instantly on applying the middle pedal.

The white globes through the clear housing for reverse are much brighter than the stock halogens, plus are crystal white rather than halogen white, so also look nicer to boot.

I took some photos on the phone but they are absolutely terrible, low light is never a forte of camera phones....

But I think the upgrade is worth it, might have to try and take some pics with the SLR to post.

I am going to get another set of reds to fully replace the stop lamps (there are two globes in each housing) as well as yellows for turn signals as the ones I have now could be a little brighter in daylight, they dont have a projector lens in them.

joel0407
30-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Continuing on my quest to rid the world (or at least my Octy) of filament globes...

I bought these (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-BA15s-1156-12-SMD-5050-CREE-Q5-7W-LED-Rear-Front-Light-Wholesale-and/595092230.html) ones. They are available in white, red and yellow (and blue and green?)

They appear very well built and I think worth spending a little more than some of the cheaper looking constructions floating around.
They have a lensed 7w Cree led and 12 SMD leds around the shaft so give off a very good projected light as well as filling the OEM housing in the same way as a filament globe.

Installed one white set as reverse lights and one set to test of reds in my stop lamps (right side). I had previously tried some white LEDs in the tails but they dont work well as they are brighter than the filament globes they replace so look pink through the red plastic.

The red ones actually look red and are slightly brighter than the stock globes. More importantly they light up full brightness instantly on applying the middle pedal.

The white globes through the clear housing for reverse are much brighter than the stock halogens, plus are crystal white rather than halogen white, so also look nicer to boot.

I took some photos on the phone but they are absolutely terrible, low light is never a forte of camera phones....

But I think the upgrade is worth it, might have to try and take some pics with the SLR to post.

I am going to get another set of reds to fully replace the stop lamps (there are two globes in each housing) as well as yellows for turn signals as the ones I have now could be a little brighter in daylight, they dont have a projector lens in them.

How about CAN BUS?

Happy Days

kamold
31-07-2013, 05:52 AM
How about CAN BUS?

Happy Days

Yep, I have a canbus ;)
I've only driven for about half an hour so far but no bulb out errors yet....fingers crossed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

zei20t
31-07-2013, 08:50 AM
it would come up with an error almost straight away after using the light.

this is what happens with my LED fogs

thanks for the link, I might buy a few sets for my car. LED FTW!

kamold
31-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Still no errors from the LEDs. I do have a failed filament globe but thats going to be replaced with LED also.

Interestingly you get some funky startup flickers from the LEDs due to the BCM testing the circuits on powerup. It actually looks pretty cool in my opinion, others may think its silly :)

http://youtu.be/AHZ3Lq1SLU0

You can also just make out the red leds duty cycling (flickering) which can't be seen by the naked eye.

Here are the reverse globes...hmmmm white light....

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/07/3uguze4e-2.jpg

cbay
31-07-2013, 10:47 AM
You can also just make out the red leds duty cycling (flickering) which can't be seen by the naked eye.

very cool!

Twin_Dad
31-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Nice.

I installed these;

Update 12W Super Bright Canbus CREE R5 LED Backup Light 1156 S25 (P21W) 360 lighting Car Lights No error signal report-in Reverse Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-7W-Super-Bright-Canbus-CREE-R3-LED-Backup-Light-1156-S25-P21W-360-lighting-Car/746005639.html)

over the weekend for my DRL's and they too are error free, easy to install and look quite nice (don't look quite as good quality as yours). The SuperSkoda ones I got are just too difficult and after getting CANBUS decoders and parts from wreckers it has cost me well over $80 (don't do it).

joel0407
31-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Still no errors from the LEDs. I do have a failed filament globe but thats going to be replaced with LED also.

Interestingly you get some funky startup flickers from the LEDs due to the BCM testing the circuits on powerup. It actually looks pretty cool in my opinion, others may think its silly :)

http://youtu.be/AHZ3Lq1SLU0

I dont know what it is but my trailer LEDs flicker constantly when the car is off. I mean they might momentarily fash once or twice a minute. I guess i might be something with the security becasue I know of I had an factory alarm it includes the trailer in its monitoring.

Happy Days.

kamold
31-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Picked up one of these PnP amps a few weeks ago for $100 including shipping:
Blaupunkt THA475 (http://www.blaupunktdirect.co.uk/incar-amplifiers/tha-475-pnp-plug-and-play-amplifier.html)

Took a couple of weeks for the 2.5m extension cable to arrive as I ended up having to make a seperate order for that (annoyingly cost almost as much as the amp with shipping costs!!!)

Fairly painless install, apart from the rats nest of harnesses now behind my climatronics unit....
it goes car loom-> amp harness-> BT harness -> RNS.

I wanted to get away with spending a bare minimum to get a reasonable sound upgrade and I think all things considered its probably the best bang for my buck I could come up with. Even with the stock speakers its a huge step up from the integrated amp from the head unit. Finally have some punch!

The amp is under the passenger seat, just going to get some velcro strips and stick it to the carpet, dont think it needs a more sophisticated mount setup.

Mysticality
31-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I have LED indicator bulbs, which flash when you turn the key - its the bulb monitoring system. LED's can operate on very low voltage, albeit not very bright.
I also now have HID high beams, which don't pull many watts untill the ballast goes through the startup process. When I turn the ignition on, the bulb checking system fires a higher voltage through the high beam circuit that trips the relay I have hooked up for the LED light bar... At night, the car flashes whoevers infront five times.
I just try not to pay attention (look at the sat nav or something) so people don't come over and try to talk to me. :P

The LED brake bulbs look awesome - as do the reverse! Thats what I'm up for, next. ;)

MountainBikeMike
11-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm looking at one of these cheapo mats, as for now I'm using some ****ty cut up cheapo foam from bunnings, which gives me a good lip up the side walls from mud on the bike... Anyway the given dimensions are pretty spot on for the boot in my wagon, but wondering if anyone has gotten this type?

It specifically says does not for wagon model on the add, yet dimensions seem right :s you can see the right corner is a little smaller, dunno other than that.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/sumu2yme-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/9e2yveru-1.jpg

brad
11-09-2013, 04:03 PM
pass

I use a $25 universal rubber mat like they sell at Repco/Supercheap. no lip though.

MountainBikeMike
11-09-2013, 11:08 PM
pass

I use a $25 universal rubber mat like they sell at Repco/Supercheap. no lip though.

Yeah kinda need the lip for water and mud and craaap

MountainBikeMike
04-10-2013, 07:32 AM
Octy RS: installing sidelight (parker) bulbs- anyone know how? I couldn't get them out with long nose pliers despite twisting and clamping them. Just about pulled the wires out damn things

This is for a pre-fl

kamold
04-10-2013, 07:49 AM
Octy RS: installing sidelight bulbs- anyone know how? I couldn't get them out with long nose pliers despite twisting and clamping them. Just about pulled the wires out damn things

Do you mean the ones up above the silver strip with 'Octavia' on it? Those aren't wired in the RS as far as I know as we have the LED DRLs. They serve as side lights. There is probably a way to hook them back up but I've never looked into it. I replaced them with Philips cool white globes before realising they aren't connected. Took the headlamp assemblies out by releasing the catch and sliding the headlamp out forwards to get access to the bulb holders behind the covers, not sure if you already have done this...

MountainBikeMike
04-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Do you mean the ones up above the silver strip with 'Octavia' on it? Those aren't wired in the RS as far as I know as we have the LED DRLs. They serve as side lights. There is probably a way to hook them back up but I've never looked into it. I replaced them with Philips cool white globes before realising they aren't connected. Took the headlamp assemblies out by releasing the catch and sliding the headlamp out forwards to get access to the bulb holders behind the covers, not sure if you already have done this...

Sorry I should have said I have a pre-fl with no drl's. The side lights are just 'parkers', the tiny little lamps near the indicator.

I've already had the lights completely out to try to get at them

gldgti
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry I should have said I have a pre-fl with no drl's. The side lights are just 'parkers', the tiny little lamps near the indicator.

I've already had the lights completely out to try to get at them

You can take em out, its just tricky. I replaced the bulbs in mine about 12 months ago.... unfortunately its long enough ago I cant remember it.

I do remember taking the light out and doing it on the bench, though.

kamold
04-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Sorry I should have read your sig :(
If the headlamp assemblies are the same in the pre-FL then from memory they are easy to remove...they are w5w globes are they?

MountainBikeMike
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Sorry I should have read your sig :(
If the headlamp assemblies are the same in the pre-FL then from memory they are easy to remove...they are w5w globes are they?

Yes. I can only access them from the back, and there's some sort of black box power thingo about 2inches square making it harder. I can get it with long nose pliers but it won't budge with a lot of abuse

Its top left in the left headlight
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/za5amupu-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/10/agebezyt-1.jpg

zei20t
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
I think the black box is the height adjustment for the low beam. be careful if you remove it.

kamold
16-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Got the Revo (http://www.revotechnik.com/type/16949/13/) Stage 1 ECU upgrade installed today!

Had to drive back home in city traffic so have not had a chance to test it at all.
Have some long drives coming up this weekend, so looking forward to stretching the legs.
435Nm FTW!

Next step will be to install the anti-lift kit sitting in the boot. Wanted to see what the ECU upgrade would do to stock suspension setup before I installed the ALK so I had a proper comparison.

Will update with some thoughts once I have had a chance to play.

joel0407
16-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Got the Revo (http://www.revotechnik.com/type/16949/13/) Stage 1 ECU upgrade installed today!

Had to drive back home in city traffic so have not had a chance to test it at all.
Have some long drives coming up this weekend, so looking forward to stretching the legs.
435Nm FTW!

Next step will be to install the anti-lift kit sitting in the boot. Wanted to see what the ECU upgrade would do to stock suspension setup before I installed the ALK so I had a proper comparison.

Will update with some thoughts once I have had a chance to play.

Did they have to open up the ECU and solder on a new chip or was it done via the OBD port?

Last time I checked they could map Tiguan ECUs but my Yeti. I dont know why as they are both the same motor so I would have thought VAG would use the same ECU.

Happy Days.

kamold
16-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah the ecu is encrypted. Has to be physically removed and unlocked on the bench with special equipment. Then reinstalled and it can then be flashed via the odbII port.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

MountainBikeMike
17-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Did they have to open up the ECU and solder on a new chip or was it done via the OBD port?

Last time I checked they could map Tiguan ECUs but my Yeti. I dont know why as they are both the same motor so I would have thought VAG would use the same ECU.

Happy Days.

Bluefin uses the port in octys, should be the same...

kamold
17-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Newer ecus are encrypted and can't be flashed directly via odbII before they are unlocked.

Mysticality
17-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Grrrr!!
I was hoping to be the first tuned diesel. :p

Where'd you get it done?
Definitely update with info!... And fuel economy! :)

MountainBikeMike
17-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Grrrr!!
I was hoping to be the first tuned diesel. :p

Where'd you get it done?
Definitely update with info!... And fuel economy! :)

If everyone else's mk2 fl octy works on a bluefin, shouldn't yours?? Hey did you see my post on the last page about the w5w globes

kamold
17-10-2013, 09:30 AM
The diesel ecu is different to the petrol afaik. And even then some are locked and others aren't. It's pot luck. Got it done at Vw village. Extra $130 for the unlock.

Not sure what the go is with those side lights I will have to pull a headlight out again.
Working on another secret project atm (rns related ) so will try and get around to it to see.

brad
17-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Octy RS: installing sidelight (parker) bulbs- anyone know how? I couldn't get them out with long nose pliers despite twisting and clamping them. Just about pulled the wires out damn things

This is for a pre-fl
Did you remove the headlight assy from the car first?

MountainBikeMike
17-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Did you remove the headlight assy from the car first?

Yes. I'm pulling on the back of the globe itself almost, where the wires go in, but for some reason the clip is giving me trouble and I can't see where I need to press or squeeze

brad
17-10-2013, 11:25 AM
If everyone else's mk2 fl octy works on a bluefin, shouldn't yours?? Hey did you see my post on the last page about the w5w globes

There are differences. Some work & some don't. It's a crap shoot.

brad
17-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes. I'm pulling on the back of the globe itself almost, where the wires go in, but for some reason the clip is giving me trouble and I can't see where I need to press or squeeze

I thought it was a twist but I've never been in there, so don't take my word for it.

What does it say in the owners manual?

dArK5HaD0w
17-10-2013, 12:13 PM
the TDI engines have always been harder to "crack" with regards to ECU tuning.

likewise, the just because the same engine is used over at the VW stables, it doesn't mean the ECU will b the same - hence it may require different "cracking" methods.

kamold
17-10-2013, 05:22 PM
First report: had some chirps in third (s mode) which I haven't had before. More to follow.

zei20t
27-10-2013, 11:48 AM
why did I think yours was TSI??

anyway, glad to see good results from a TDI tune!

Martin
28-10-2013, 11:08 AM

I thought it was a twist but I've never been in there, so don't take my word for it.

Correct, twist anti clockwise when looking in the same direction as the headlight beam

MountainBikeMike
23-11-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm getting really ****ty at two things now. 1. The doors auto lock for passengers so when they get out they almost rip my door handle in two... What is meant to happen, is you pull once and release- it unlocks, you pull again to open. What they do- pull the first time, it doesnt open, so they pull harder and harder before trying again, while I cringe.

2nd, is the boot always auto locks. Every bloody time I go to the back to open it afyer driving I forget it's locked, and have to walk back around and press the button if my key is still in the ignition.

Anyone know how to program these out without a vagcom? I have the obd2 Bluetooth module and torque pro.. wonder if this works.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

k_rider
23-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Don't think you need the vagcom. I'm pretty sure it's available from one of the menu options on the maxidot (convenience items menu maybe?) something like "auto locking". I'm assuming here that you're referring to the doors locking once you reach about 10km/h?

rjg
24-11-2013, 08:33 AM
The auto locking of the doors locking is through the convenience menu. Wouldn't be surprised if that took care of the boot too.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

dArK5HaD0w
24-11-2013, 12:18 PM
The auto locking of the doors locking is through the convenience menu. Wouldn't be surprised if that took care of the boot too.

it does.
however, the boot (including all other doors) should unlock as soon as u open the driver's door. the fact that urs remains locked is strange.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/6b9b0f04-1.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/cc755a63-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/77136dff-1.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/11/2d201cb7-1.jpg

kamold
25-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Had the whiteline anti lift kit and bushes installed along with a minor service today.

Initial impressions:
Steering feels slightly more weighted- in a good way. Turn in feels slightly sharper.
Haven't had a chance to actually drive but did some harder starts and felt more planted.
Hope to get a chance to try it out a bit more over the next week.

zei20t
27-11-2013, 01:35 PM
that's good to hear mate! any noises after install?

kamold
28-11-2013, 09:09 AM
No noises as such, except from the tyres ;)

There is a noticeable extra amount of vibration when coming to a stop while the transmission is still in second, until it engages the clutch.
But nothing too extreme.
Have done a few harder starts and axle tramp is pretty much gone. Interestingly the traction control now seems to let the wheels spin a little more as they gain traction, which makes for more squeal but a much smoother takeoff without annoying dash bounces and steering wheel shudder.

Still have to get used to the heavier steering at slow speeds but its not a dealbreaker for me.

skinner
08-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Kamold...interested to hear more about the tune, just acquired a MY10 Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon and this is first mod on the list. So by the sounds of it not a lot of difference (in terms of how quick it is) around town? Have you had a few highway trips yet? Any noticeable difference in economy?

MountainBikeMike
08-12-2013, 08:29 AM
Kamold...interested to hear more about the tune, just acquired a MY10 Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon and this is first mod on the list. So by the sounds of it not a lot of difference (in terms of how quick it is) around town? Have you had a few highway trips yet? Any noticeable difference in economy?

Mate, a tune had been the best money I've ever spent on a car, or almost anything in ny life- and I buy a lotta ****! Lol

It really gives the car the power it should have had out of the factory and the car becomes so much more angry and playful. And overtaking on the highway in 6th cos is easy hahaha. Lots more torque all around

kamold
08-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Yeah its definitely the best bang for buck for any forced induction car.
I find I am driving less sedately just to feel that 435Nm shove in mid range.
Fuel economy has not changed noticeably. Its much more affected by the amount of open road driving you can get in.
Long term average with about 75% city driving is 6.4L/100.

It probably knocks ~1 - 1.5 seconds off the 0-100 time, but I've not measured it at all. Certainly not quick by any measure but acceptable.

Highly recommended.

skinner
08-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, might have to book it in to get a stage 1 revo tune done then.

kamold
08-12-2013, 07:29 PM
You won't be disappointed :)

PsychoPuppie
09-12-2013, 07:25 AM
ive done the apr tune on my 2010vrs and it makes it so much more driveable.
the tune makes the vrs the car it should have been from the factory

Mysticality
09-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Yeah its definitely the best bang for buck for any forced induction car.
I find I am driving less sedately just to feel that 435Nm shove in mid range.
Fuel economy has not changed noticeably. Its much more affected by the amount of open road driving you can get in.
Long term average with about 75% city driving is 6.4L/100.

It probably knocks ~1 - 1.5 seconds off the 0-100 time, but I've not measured it at all. Certainly not quick by any measure but acceptable.

Highly recommended.

+1
I don't feel much difference with the 0-100 time, but when you're doing 50 and need to speed up a bit the pure whack of torque is amazing. Would recommend.
I can't say much about fuel economy, I'm 1/3rd through the first tank, but already it seems a bit worse... But that could just be because I love the torque so much ;)

Revo has a 20% off sale on right now, which is what swayed me to finally get it done. Cost me $790, unlocked and tuned! :D

brad
09-12-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't think a tune is about outright power. It's the better shaped / smoother torque curve & the earlier boost.

$800 for Revo is great value.

I'd also look at Custom Code & Viezu & there's another "custom" tune who's name escapes me.

I have a Bluefin. At the time it was half the price of any of the other tunes. Greta bang4buck but if I was doing it now I'd probably go another direction even though the Bluefin is great.

kamold
09-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Dammit! I wait 2 years to get a tune and then they have a special on a month after I finally decide to get it done :(

Martin
09-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't feel much difference with the 0-100 time, but when you're doing 50 and need to speed up a bit the pure whack of torque is amazing. Would recommend.
I can't say much about fuel economy, I'm 1/3rd through the first tank, but already it seems a bit worse... But that could just be because I love the torque so much ;)

The ~3 tanks following the tune tend to return below average fuel economy
It's not until the tune/performance novelty wears off that you will discover the true day to day fuel economy

Generally I can get 540km out of a tank (petrol stage2) around town
but on long open road trips (economy running) I have logged 620km out of a tank

donweather
09-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Revo has a 20% off sale on right now, which is what swayed me to finally get it done. Cost me $790, unlocked and tuned! :D How accurate are revo's peak performance claims. They claim 205kW which is way above any of their competitors for Stage 1.

Also the revo Aus website said the 20% sale is only valid til 18/08/2013?

Mysticality
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Dammit! I wait 2 years to get a tune and then they have a special on a month after I finally decide to get it done :(

TheSpeedfighter had a Stage 1 done at Peak Performance a few weeks before the special arrived on the scene - pretty sure he got refunded the difference. :)

The ~3 tanks following the tune tend to return below average fuel economy
It's not until the tune/performance novelty wears off that you will discover the true day to day fuel economy

Generally I can get 540km out of a tank (petrol stage2) around town
but on long open road trips (economy running) I have logged 620km out of a tank

So far my record is 1,030km (or so) out of a tank, but that was only recent. Won't be long until I find out just how each tank goes!
Currently looking at 630km with 290km to go before tank is empty, so not *too* bad... ;)

How accurate are revo's peak performance claims. They claim 205kW which is way above any of their competitors for Stage 1.

Also the revo Aus website said the 20% sale is only valid til 18/08/2013?

I walked into VW Village and asked about the 20% off sale 'ending in Jan' and they said 'yup, thats valid' - so I dunno!
Also - I'll definitely be running it on a dyno after its run in a bit more. :)

kamold
13-01-2014, 02:51 PM
So I installed my Chinese RVC over the weekend.
Not quite plug n play but not too far off.

Its a composite video CCD camera that replaces the boot release handle. This one actually fits the cutout properly unlike the Tiguan OEM RGBS one which would require cutting the boot body. Requires an RGBS to composite video converter box so not as good quality but acceptable.

This is the camera:

Which is available here (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/305596850.html)

And this is the RGBS converter:

Which is available here (http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/305596865.html)

Installation obviously involves running the cable form the head unit down the left hand side of the car under trim, through the boot rubber conduit and into the boot void behind the trim. Non-trivial in terms of time and swearing effort, but I still have all my fingers afterwards :)

Couple of issues to note:
1. The camera/boot release handle (like most of these Chinese Skoda accessories) are for the liftback model, which has different connectors everywhere to the wagon, for no good reason (eg the rear light clusters). So I had to put some wires into the connector and strip back a bit of insulation from the boot release motor wires to connect directly to. Also the shape of the new handle release is slightly different to the original and requires a bit of packing (I just used some foam rubber) under the metal cover to allow the screws to bring it in tight against the boot body.

2. The reverse light power circuit is DIRTY. Massive interference on the image initially. Connected to constant 12v power from the boot release motor was very clean but the camera will burn out if its constantly powered. So the power needs to be filtered. The image is still not 100% clean but perfectly usable. Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3074) is your friend here.

3. The default reversing image, with 5238 firmware, is still the parking sensor display as opposed to the reverse camera image with sensor display on the left side like factory. Have to push the little camera icon on the screen to bring up the image. I'll look into this hopefully just a setting.
Fixed see below thanks Readorr

All in all a nice addition for about $120

readerr0r
13-01-2014, 03:07 PM
So I installed my Chinese RVC over the weekend.
Not quite plug n play but not too far off.

3. The default reversing image, with 5238 firmware, is still the parking sensor display as opposed to the reverse camera image with sensor display on the left side like factory. Have to push the little camera icon on the screen to bring up the image. I'll look into this hopefully just a setting.

All in all a nice addition for about $120

When tweaking a clients superb with a similar system, I found you have to tell the park sensors control module that a reserve camera is present. At the time the tickbox didn't exist in VCDS on skodas, I had to copy the raw hex code from a VCDS screenshot the client luckily happened to have from a VW module, but I think its in VCDS 12 now...

Edit: Here's a shot of the working code. Remember some settings might be telling it to expect a superb sized car.
http://imageshack.com/a/img809/2918/opsskoda2crop.png

kamold
13-01-2014, 03:28 PM
nice one, thanks.
I'll check that this afternoon.

kamold
13-01-2014, 03:30 PM
That was it thanks!

Mysticality
14-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Stage 2; DPF delete; rear muffler delete.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q77/s720x720/1524977_10152173689058117_1474373946_n.jpg

Pulls all the way to redline, which is weird to say the least ;p ... And the turbo noise and idle drone is to die for!

brad
14-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Nice

Where did you get that done? I was looking at a cheap down pipe & wanted to add a catcon but the muffler place I spoke to wasn't the least bit interested in welding the cat onto the dp

Mysticality
15-01-2014, 07:52 AM
gldgti helped me with the downpipe modification, and I got the delete done at Liverpool Exhaust - they made my 3" catback originally. :)

I'd go in and get Chev to take a look at it - pay cash you'll get a bit off :)

kamold
15-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Stage 2; DPF delete; rear muffler delete.
Pulls all the way to redline, which is weird to say the least ;p ... And the turbo noise and idle drone is to die for!

Have you got a stage2 ECU program with DPF regen removed? Did you get a discount given you only got the stage 1 recently?

morbo2000
15-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I'd done a big post today in the group buy thread in the ice forum about my install experience from the weekend not realising kamold had already posted here.

Couple of issues to note:
1. The camera/boot release handle (like most of these Chinese Skoda accessories) are for the liftback model, which has different connectors everywhere to the wagon, for no good reason (eg the rear light clusters). So I had to put some wires into the connector and strip back a bit of insulation from the boot release motor wires to connect directly to. Also the shape of the new handle release is slightly different to the original and requires a bit of packing (I just used some foam rubber) under the metal cover to allow the screws to bring it in tight against the boot body.

I have the liftback and the connector is wrong for it too. The one on the car is much smaller than the one on the handle. Mine was fixed with some dodgy soldering onto the pins on the handle and an excessive amount of hot glue to try to hold it all together.

2. The reverse light power circuit is DIRTY. Massive interference on the image initially. Connected to constant 12v power from the boot release motor was very clean but the camera will burn out if its constantly powered. So the power needs to be filtered. The image is still not 100% clean but perfectly usable. Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA3074) is your friend here.

I also found the reverse light wire was only reading about 10.5v. I ran a separate power wire from the fuse box so I could install an accessories socket in the boot since the liftback doesn't come with one so I ended up using this switched by a relay I hooked into the reverse light wire so my picture is mostly stable now but I get a bit of tearing at the top of the image. I'll pick up the Jaycar filter on the weekend and hopefully that will fix it.

I think with my camera it seems like it is slightly angled towards the kerb. Did you find this with yours? Would be nice if it was angled slightly lower so you could see the rear bumper.

Mysticality
16-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Have you got a stage2 ECU program with DPF regen removed? Did you get a discount given you only got the stage 1 recently?

I had the Stage 1 done at VW Village for around $750 (complications with unlocker plus winter 20% off sale) total, then Stage 2 done at Peak Performance for a total of $100. Just had to show PP the VWV receipt and all was good. :)

kamold
16-01-2014, 03:14 PM
I had the Stage 1 done at VW Village for around $750 (complications with unlocker plus winter 20% off sale) total, then Stage 2 done at Peak Performance for a total of $100. Just had to show PP the VWV receipt and all was good. :)
Ah good to hear they look after you.

icgreen
04-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi All. Had my 2011 Octavia VRS (Manual) tuned with the Revo Stage 1 at Peak Performance yesterday. All I can say is Wow!! Without a doubt the best money I've spent on car to-date.

One thing that had me a little concerned is when the technician installing the flash mentioned that the program could be lost if battery voltages drop, or if the battery is replaced. Has anyone experienced this before? or is there any truth to this? He mentioned they would re-flash at a charge of $40 however it seems a little inconvenient. I get that a Skoda dealer may overwrite the flash during servicing if an update is released by Skoda, however I was hoping the tune would survive a simple battery replacement.

MountainBikeMike
05-03-2014, 12:19 AM
There is absolutely no way a battery replacement would ever ever remove the tune lol. A battery is designed to get disconnected when servicing etc and nobody here has that problem. A dealer update is a concern but they are years and years apart no?

brad
05-03-2014, 07:50 AM
What MBM said. I've never heard of a tune disapearing if the battery goes flat or has to be replaced. Maybe Revo are weird? Flick an email off to the HO in the USA & ask them.

Having an installer distributing info like that would make me lose confidence in the installer.

A good battery place will hook up a 12v source while they do the battery - this will stop the ABS & steering wheel lights coming on on the dash.

donweather
05-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Having an installer distributing info like that would make me lose confidence in the installer.+1!!!!!!

icgreen
05-03-2014, 07:52 PM
+1!!!!!!

Yep. The installer was not oozing confidence. He got the job done though and I received version 2 of the TSI Software. It definitely works :eek:

Might consider using a more reputable installer next time but I doubt I'll be needing any more power at this stage.

Mysticality
17-03-2014, 08:26 AM
There is absolutely no way a battery replacement would ever ever remove the tune lol. A battery is designed to get disconnected when servicing etc and nobody here has that problem. A dealer update is a concern but they are years and years apart no?

+2
The guy I dealt with at Peak Performance also never told me anything like that... But, then again, he did ask me "is the 125TDI a petrol or a diesel?" ...

VW Village in Kensington seem to know their s**t.

macrex
05-05-2014, 01:25 PM
+2
The guy I dealt with at Peak Performance also never told me anything like that... But, then again, he did ask me "is the 125TDI a petrol or a diesel?" ...

VW Village in Kensington seem to know their s**t.

That's a worry when he doesn't know what "TDI" stands for!