PDA

View Full Version : MK4 1.6 slight issue

VeeDubbin
17-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Hi all,
new to the forum and have recently aquired an '03 1.6 MK4 Golf.
Only yesterday i started the car up in the morning, and after the initial few beeps from the cluster, the red temperature warning light began flashing.
Now the user manual states that this will happen when the water temperature gets too high, or when the coolant level drops.
This happened again for the second time this morning when i started the car.

Strange thing is that it has only happened in the mornings, and when i switch off the ignition and start again, it doesnt do it.
It also doesnt happen in the afternoons, only the initial start in the morning.

Any ideas what this could be ?
anything to do with the Temperature sender etc ?

Cheers

brackie
17-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Welcome. Start with the basics. Take off he sender connector and clean the contacts. If this doesn't solve the problem pull the multipin plug off the dash cluster and then refit it. After that, it's VAGCOM......

DubSteve
17-01-2007, 06:30 PM
:) Welcome to the forum. Like Brackie says clean the sensor first and if still not working then use the VAG COM.

VeeDubbin
17-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Will give it a go.
Does anyone know if this is a regular problem ?

I have also noticed that my gear changes from first to second are a little notchy. The gears are definately not grinding or crunching- its just not a smooth transition between first and second, like it is when going through the other gears. Is this anything to do with the hydraulic clutch adjustment (if any ?)

Thanks in advance..

william
27-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi all,
new to the forum and have recently aquired an '03 1.6 MK4 Golf.
Only yesterday i started the car up in the morning, and after the initial few beeps from the cluster, the red temperature warning light began flashing.
Now the user manual states that this will happen when the water temperature gets too high, or when the coolant level drops.
This happened again for the second time this morning when i started the car.

Strange thing is that it has only happened in the mornings, and when i switch off the ignition and start again, it doesnt do it.
It also doesnt happen in the afternoons, only the initial start in the morning.

Any ideas what this could be ?
anything to do with the Temperature sender etc ?

Cheers
There are the three issues it could be mostly are common issues ,it may be a coolant temp sensor a quick way to check a coolant temp sensor is to look and find a green sensor if you cant see a green sensor you know you will need a new one as the black are the older type sugesting never changed from memory $30.

These models also have issues with broken thermostats as plastic they become brittle and crack you will also notice fans will stay on all the time, a thermostat is roughtly $360 as whole unit,

The third issue which im sure it is the reservior itself the sensor that senses level playes up and gives untrue reading also common, roughly $170

craig_the_german
22-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi, Did you find the cause of the temperature issues you were having with your 1.6.

I am having issues with the gauge, it could be a similar problem...sensor.

thanks

spritle
22-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I have also noticed that my gear changes from first to second are a little notchy. The gears are definately not grinding or crunching- its just not a smooth transition between first and second, like it is when going through the other gears. Is this anything to do with the hydraulic clutch adjustment (if any ?)

Thanks in advance..

my 1.6 manual box was a bit notchy between 1st and 2nd since new, so I doubt it's a problem.

I don't have an issue any more but then I've got a new gearbox after the old one threw the alloy diff rivets and trashed the box. I don't know if the '03 got bolts (instead of alloy rivets) in the differential but someone might chime in on that one.