PDA

View Full Version : Passat CC write up Herald Sun Car Guide 31/7/9

tryingavw
31-07-2009, 12:35 PM
nice write up they gave the car 82/100

they were testing the V6.

I seriously considered buying the diesel, had 2 long test drives :driver:. Beautiful to look at and be in. but i found the driving experience lacking- in fact not as good at the 125kW Wagon we have which i think is really good.

also rear vision is poor- would take some getting used to.

Anyone in the market for a prestige sedan should check out the CC.

In the end i bought a C Class 320CDI and traded the venerable bm745i 2002. the changeover ended up being approx 19k more than the CC diesel so i'm very happy with that result. Its a great car and the RWD was the clincher for me.

Swallowtail
31-07-2009, 12:38 PM
320cdi is a very nice car. You'll enjoy....

Rocket36
31-07-2009, 02:30 PM
I initially went in to buy a 220kw V6 4MOTION CC back in April when I bought the R36 instead. Limit of 4 people didn't bother me at all. Rear head room was a slight concern even though I don't ever ride in the back of my own car. But ultimately, it was the lack of the sporty suspension as per the R36. If there was an option to put the R36 suspension in the CC, I'd have definitely bought the CC instead. Thing is, I really wanted the ACC but can't get it on the R36.

Personally though, I don't think you can really go wrong with the VW brand as a whole. You get easily the same build quality and refinement of both BMW and Mercedes but without the extra dollars. Yes, for $70k drive a way (what I paid for the R36) I could have as easily got a BMW or Mercedes but for the same performance as the 220kw V6, 4MOTION, DSG and suspension I'd have had to pay an extra $30,000+ for a BMW or Merc of equal performance.

tryingavw
31-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Personally though, I don't think you can really go wrong with the VW brand as a whole. You get easily the same build quality and refinement of both BMW and Mercedes but without the extra dollars. Yes, for $70k drive a way (what I paid for the R36) I could have as easily got a BMW or Mercedes but for the same performance as the 220kw V6, 4MOTION, DSG and suspension I'd have had to pay an extra $30,000+ for a BMW or Merc of equal performance.

agreed. although i would argue refinement is close but not the same. the wagon for around 60k is way better value than the merc at 90+. and i'm a bit over bmw with all the costs of keeping the 7 on the road so they were off my list.

the c320 is pretty sporty and quotes 6.9 seconds. plus just yesterday i have fitted a tuning box which is meant to up the kW from 165 to 202kW and torq 510 to 615Nm. It certainly seems quicker i am yet to find a quiet long straight stretch.

funny thing is there is still a lot of snob value out there. the kids were dead against another VW in the driveway. they got their way but not for the same reasons.

Rocket36
31-07-2009, 03:38 PM
i dont mind that there's still a lot of people too "snobby" to consider a VW... Means there's less of them around!

although i am seeing a lot of Golfs and Jettas. Regarding Passats though, hardly and CCs yet but most Passats I see are R36s!

apom
31-07-2009, 05:44 PM
The Merc is a nice choice. I would argue the quality issue however and agree with Rocket.

If you consider Audi / BMW and Mercedes are sold at the some level most reviews point to the Audi as the current leader in the quality stakes in build and refinement. Then take into account VW is built largely on the same platforms with the same bits (in all the small items) and even in the same factory the VW stacks up as the value buy.

This is also more obvious when you take as an example for the Touareg / Audi Q7 / Porsche Cayenne. These are all built in the same factory... The porsche is largely the same from the A pillar back with a different interior. The even sell the same version V6 diesel but at a $30K over the VW.

pixl
31-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Was a good read that article, Passat CCs are so pimp! Love them!!

Although I couldn't stop drooling over the Audi TT RS on the next page :biggrin:

tryingavw
31-07-2009, 06:26 PM
i dont mind that there's still a lot of people too "snobby" to consider a VW... Means there's less of them around!

although i am seeing a lot of Golfs and Jettas. Regarding Passats though, hardly and CCs yet but most Passats I see are R36s!

i like the anti snob factor as well. part of the appeal