PDA

View Full Version : Alright you South Australian freaks...

dubbed
30-07-2009, 01:48 PM
A mate and I are coming over to SA to terrorise the streets for about a week in late September. I'd like to plan it properly so we're not farting around wasting time!

My old man lives in Adelaide (I forget which suburb) but it's about 15 minutes from the city. We'll probably stay there one or two nights but I'd like to get a hotel in a party area so we can walk to and fro hotspots easily.

So what area/s should I look at? In the heart of the city, or somewhere else? I.e. close to the beach? If you're familiar with Melbourne, somewhere like St Kilda might be an idea.

I'd also like to head out to a few wineries on our travels.

Oh, and PS: I was only kidding about the title :)

team_v
30-07-2009, 04:23 PM
You have to do the adelaide hills run.
Gummeracha, Loberthal, Mount torrens, Hahndorf.

Other than that i can't be of much help sorry.

phaeton
30-07-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't help Victorians :nana:

Glenelg (by the beach) maybe the closest thing to what you call St. Kilda with easy access to city by tram.

Good wineries in the Barossa Valley and Fleurieu Peninsula.

www.southaustralia.com

TopBloke
30-07-2009, 08:13 PM
get a hotel room in the city would be your best bet.

alot of pubs or clubs in the city, easy walking distance (sober or pissed)

city to the bay (glenelg) tram, not to sure how late the tram goes if you having a late one.

Going into the hills is always good and not to sure about the wineries

Lorenz
30-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Just stay in the city somewhere, there are some pretty cheap/good places to stay and you can walk the length of the city in a matter of 15 minutes. Doesn't matter what end of the city your in, plenty of good places to drink and dine out.

Let us know when you have set a date, sure there would be a few of the local dubber who would be keen for a beer or two :D

Manaz
30-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Good wineries in the Barossa Valley and Fleurieu Peninsula.

You missed the Clare Valley - I think it produces the best red wines in the country.

BTJ
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
You missed the Clare Valley - I think it produces the best red wines in the country.

said the European car owner.

:)

VisionaryVr6
01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
just make sure (if your a parmy fan) that you make it to the tapp inn in kent town for dinner one night

Bizi
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm in an exec room in the Hilton Adelaide right now.
Having visited the Barossa and a few wineries and foodie spots today.

Hilton's current 2-for-1 offer is great - an exec King room ~$340 for both nights (http://www.hiltonpremiumclub.com/offers/Regional%202%20for%201%20Deal%20V2%20web.html).

Right in the city centre and a stumble from the eating and drinking spots.

Don't mistake it for the Hilton Hotel. :)

peter-xll
03-08-2009, 12:15 AM
In terms of wineries...avoid the big ones (eg Yalumba, Wolf Blass, Jacobs Creek, Peter Lehmann); I wouldn't worry about them as the majority won't let you taste the premiums; and they're always full of tour buses...go to smaller ones such as...

- St Hallett < all round excellent; Eden Valley Riesling is great, similarly the Blackwell & Old Block Shiraz. If you have a 'girly-girl' partner, buy her a case of their Frivola...you will see what i mean if you taste it

- Fernfield < out Eden Valley way; it's small but exceptional wines made from a very passionate family; go on a fri/sat/sun and Rebecca will be there, lovely lady.

(At this point in the day, head to Blond Coffee in Angaston...)

- Torbreck < they let you taste the entire range, including 'RunRig' @ 255 a pop (overall overpriced IMO, but a great experience none the less. Viognier is nice here also...

- Rolf Binder/Veritas < I worked for Rolf, but I'm not being biased at all saying the reds are exceptional! Bulls Blood (Shiraz Mataro blend) is a favourite, Heinrich (though it doesn't get opened at cellar door) is so, so good...Julie will show you the winery if you are interested, not much exciting happening currently though...

- Gibsons < Great shiraz range, and a nice sparkling merlot

- Whistler Wines < great range, a few nice blends. And very nice vintage fortified, though i fear it might be sold out...

- If you are into fortifieds though; definitely Seppeltsfield; and fingers crossed you get Nigel to serve you (Most people don't give a damn there, unfortunately...)

and after all that....go to Murdock Cellar door & restaurant for tea; great atmosphere; they do very tasty tapas.
And then sleep in the car 'cos unless you've been spitting wine all day you probably shouldn't be driving!

It also really does depend who serves you at each winery; another benefit of small wineries is that the person who serves you could possibly be the person who actually makes the wine; majority of the time they really do care about customers more at places such as these!

(I haven't said anything about the Clare Valley as I'm a Barossan but If you have the time, do Clare and it is imperative you go to Grosset and buy a case of Riesling haha!)

dubbed
03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Awesome feedback guys - thanks!

I'd love to hit a few of the smaller/niche wineries to get a more personalised experience. There's not a whole lot of information on the net about the tours.

I'll also check out the Tapp Inn as I love a good parma. How far is it from the CBD?

The Hilton 2-for-1 deal isn't valid for when we'll be over in Adelaide :( Thanks for the suggestion though. There's a few cheap places on wotif.com that I'm keeping an eye out for.

VisionaryVr6
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Awesome feedback guys - thanks!

I'll also check out the Tapp Inn as I love a good parma. How far is it from the CBD?

5mins by taxi maybe, 20 min walk? not very far at all.

could also have a hit of golf at there indoor driving range ;D

dubbed
03-08-2009, 10:50 AM
5mins by taxi maybe, 20 min walk? not very far at all.

could also have a hit of golf at there indoor driving range ;D

Definitely convinced me! Can't wait!!

HOLEIN1
03-08-2009, 01:36 PM

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?utm_campaign=en_AU&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en_AU-ha-apac-au-sk-gm&utm_term=map

the driving range and gorgeous bar staff there is pretty good too! lol

in terms of other activities it really depends on your age and what sort of atmosphere you like - various pubs and clubs around which are pretty popular - mabe give us an idea and we can give you an idea of where to head....

other things that spring to mind are a visit to Hahndorf, Victor Harbour etc etc, again depends on what floats your boat...

that being said, in terms of 'things to do' Melbs def takes the cake, adelaide can get a little dull sometimes...

hell, id move over to Melbourne if i didnt have my home delivery washing and ironing service (Mum) ... haha

you driving over? as some have said, theres some decent roads through the hills which are worth the mention, mabe some of us SA peeps could come along as well...

VisionaryVr6
03-08-2009, 01:42 PM
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?utm_campaign=en_AU&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en_AU-ha-apac-au-sk-gm&utm_term=map

in terms of other activities it really depends on your age and what sort of atmosphere you like - various pubs and clubs around which are pretty popular - mabe give us an idea and we can give you an idea of where to head....

other things that spring to mind are a visit to Hahndorf, Victor Harbour etc etc, again depends on what floats your boat...

that being said, in terms of 'things to do' Melbs def takes the cake, adelaide can get a little dull sometimes...

hell, id move over to Melbourne if i didnt have my home delivery washing and ironing service (Mum) ... haha

you driving over? as some have said, theres some decent roads through the hills which are worth the mention, mabe some of us SA peeps could come along as well...

keen for a cruise with some fellow dubbers if it goes ahead ;D

dubbed
03-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Giddy up!! We'll definitely make an appearance there as we love to hit a few golf balls around. Plus parma, drinks, and gorgeous bar staff - can't go wrong.

We're both 25 and like long walks on the beach... After a night out at a bar/club consuming many pints of beer haha. So anywhere young, hip, and bustling would be good. :drinkbeer:

We'll be flying over as a return flight can be had for about $100-150. Bugger driving over (been there, done that) when you can do it in an hour by plane!