PDA

View Full Version : A Bunch Of Merged "My New Car / Order" Threads

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ozram
23-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I ordered my 118 TSI last Saturday. The dealer rang me today about delivery times with 3 options.

1 Pick another colour.
2 Pay approximately $3,100 (cost price they claim) extra for one that has my options in my colour but also has park assist & sunroof (Retail $3300).
3 Wait 3-4 months for delivery of my original order.

I don't particularly need the sunroof & park assist, but on the other hand I don't want to wait 4 or more months if I can help it.

Should I haggle for a (further) discount on option 2, say $500 or get them to add window tint etc? They may just tell me I'm stuck with option 3 :frown:

No.1 is not an option I will consider.

Any thoughts?

brad
23-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Option 4. Ask for your deposit back (because they can't fulfill the contract) and go to another dealer.

You're in Sydney, there are a dozen or more to choose from.

Do you really think their profit margin on accessories is only ~7%? I'd be thinking there are more dollars to be saved in the "take these extra useless options" deal.

Russ59
23-04-2009, 07:04 PM
I ordered my 118 TSI last Saturday. The dealer rang me today about delivery times with 3 options.

1 Pick another colour.
2 Pay approximately $3,100 (cost price they claim) extra for one that has my options in my colour but also has park assist & sunroof (Retail $3300).
3 Wait 3-4 months for delivery of my original order.

I don't particularly need the sunroof & park assist, but on the other hand I don't want to wait 4 or more months if I can help it.

Should I haggle for a (further) discount on option 2, say $500 or get them to add window tint etc? They may just tell me I'm stuck with option 3 :frown:

No.1 is not an option I will consider.

Any thoughts?

If you don't want to wait (and who could blame you :frown:) I would probably try and haggle them down a bit on the price, just tell them that you will take it if they can drop the price by $500 and throw in some accessories as well (floor mats, weathershields, mudflaps etc...) you won't know if you don't ask :) By the way I have the sunroof and I think it's great, others will argue but IMO they really do add a special look to a car and no matter what anyone says, they are definitely a bonus for resale purposes.

Russ59
23-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Option 4. Ask for your deposit back (because they can't fulfill the contract) and go to another dealer.

You're in Sydney, there are a dozen or more to choose from.

Do you really think their profit margin on accessories is only ~7%? I'd be thinking there are more dollars to be saved in the "take these extra useless options" deal.

Maybe this would be a good option providing they have an ETA on the contract, if not you will probably lose your deposit or at least a % of it :brutal: :frown:

Ozram
23-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys,

Just looked at the contract and found 18/4/09 in the estimated delivery date column:duh:

Also, I have not even signed the flaming thing!!! The only thing I remember signing at the dealership was the blue slip form from the RTA in preparation for the rego. How good are they?

That fact alone has got to be worth lots of $'s discount methinks :biggrin:

Russ59
23-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys,

Just looked at the contract and found 18/4/09 in the estimated delivery date column:duh:

Also, I have not even signed the flaming thing!!! The only thing I remember signing at the dealership was the blue slip form from the RTA in preparation for the rego. How good are they?

That fact alone has got to be worth lots of $'s discount methinks :biggrin:

Most definitely should be, push them hard and if they won't come to the party, go elsewhere. I doubt they will want to lose a sale though, so I think you have turned the tables here and it's you who has them by the short and curlys :biggrin:

kryten2001
23-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Most definitely should be, push them hard and if they won't come to the party, go elsewhere. I doubt they will want to lose a sale though, so I think you have turned the tables here and it's you who has them by the short and curlys :biggrin:

yeah what he said..

It's a tough one hey, if the car was a super limited edn, you might be persuaded to pay the extra or wait - but it's not, so I'd be gunning for what I originally asked..

Just make some calls to other dealers, you might be surprised what they've already either got - or will shortly have on their lots.

It's only a phone call, what do you have to lose!

At least then you'll know what all your options are..

As far as sunroofs go, I could take it or leave it... It's a real wow/cool factor when you first get one, but they get pretty boring after a while. I've got one in the other car and barely use it....

Given it adds resale value, but not $3300. That's money you could happily spend on the first round of supermods for your car.

But that's only going on what I reckon.... I might not be so fussed with colour (depending on what you ordered), but that's me... There's a few colours in the lineup I'd be happy with if the primary colour wasn't available.

Just not blue or silver.. Ack..... (Sorry blue or silver owners).... I just love golfs in Red, White or Black.. Flat colours look wonderful on a golf, or most Euro cars for that matter, IMHO.

Russ59
23-04-2009, 10:32 PM
As far as sunroofs go, I could take it or leave it... It's a real wow/cool factor when you first get one, but they get pretty boring after a while.

I still find it awesome, there's nothing quite like cruising along and soaking up the warm rays of sunshine, even better on a cool winters day :driver: :cool:
Best part is, if it gets too hot simply slide it shut and use the pop up position instead, works like an exhaust fan and draws a lot of heat from the cabin :)

STV4SYT
24-04-2009, 10:12 AM
I still find it awesome, there's nothing quite like cruising along and soaking up the warm rays of sunshine, even better on a cool winters day :driver: :cool:
Best part is, if it gets too hot simply slide it shut and use the pop up position instead, works like an exhaust fan and draws a lot of heat from the cabin :)

I agree, sunroof is my favourite option, esp as the windows are so noisy and windy when open, gives a nice airy feel to the cabin too, i find the golf's i have driven with no sunroof feel claustrophobic in comparison.

I grew up in ireland and even in winter with snow on the ground i had it tilted slightly and still do now.

Next car will defo have one too.

On the dealer though, have a call around and see who has what, same thing happened to me, my car order got bumped out by about 8 weeks and i found another dealer 5km away that had the exact model on the floor, he actually dropped anoter $500 off the price too to help me with my decision to cancel the other order.

maca
26-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I've got to agree with the Sunroof... Going from a fully loaded Bora to a stock standard Jetta has it'd downsides... And the Sunroof is the biggest!

Be carefuly though. These guys have obviously given you these options as a courtesy on behalf of themselves... If you're too pushy or ask for alot they can turn around and say "suck it up and wait".

Just my 2¢ :)

twotribez
27-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey guys,

Just have a quick one, what numbers on the Vin show the actual build week and month of the vehicle?

Cheers!

NickZ
27-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I might be wrong, but I don't think the VIN numbers show the build week and month - only the year (i.e. MY). The last six numbers is the sequence no which gives an indication (i.e. the higher the number the later in the year it was built).

Probably need to look at the compliance plate or rely on the dealer for build information at this time.

twotribez
27-04-2009, 01:24 PM
oic thx for that Nick

twotribez
29-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys,

Finally picked her up last night and being my first VW, I have to say it is awesome. Very comfortable and it even has a can opener!!! haha. Very amusing... was the favoourite part for my missus.

Overall the car is very solid and feels like a large german sedan. Love the DSG as it is the closest to a manual as you will get in an autobox. Cars rolls back and feels like it can stall which I love.

Anyway sorry for the crappy pics and by the way the bluetooth is working with my IPhone 3G which is great. Would have preferred it if the connection was in the armrest area rather than in the glovebox but nevermind all is great and I love the new car smell..... Car handles great, really can't wait till the GTi comes out...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSC_2797small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSC_2798small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSC_2799small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSC_2800small-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/DSC_2806small-1.jpg

drotsap
29-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Niceeeeeeeee. interior pics pls.

whiteVR6
29-04-2009, 09:41 AM
wow thats a beauty!

twotribez
29-04-2009, 09:58 AM
thanks guys, will post interior pics this weekend. Work is too time consuming, I should call in a sickie haha

JasonP
29-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Also the full spes please!
Looks like the Sport Pack wheels you've got there.

Is the Bluetooth the new Premium factory version?

I have a 3G iPhone as well, so any info on how well (or otherwise) it works with your bluetooth would be interesting.

Nice car!

JasonP
29-04-2009, 11:15 AM
That should be "full specs"....

HOLEIN1
29-04-2009, 12:18 PM
the MK6's definitley look better in the 'flesh' compared to the tv ad etc

nice :)

phaeton
29-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Cool & Congrats :cool:

twotribez
29-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks again for the compliments. Specs of the car are the following

-DSG
-Sport Pack
-Bluetooth (from the accessory section in the brochure, its not the premium as it doesn't have that RSAP thingy)
- Media in with Ipod connector
- Boot liner (disappointed that it feels more like foam than rubber)
- Boot Net.

Now I am thinking of some 18 inch wheels haha. Wish they had those Vancouver alloys here in AUS, the ones in the brochure as they suit the car a lot.

twotribez
29-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Also the full spes please!
Looks like the Sport Pack wheels you've got there.

Is the Bluetooth the new Premium factory version?

I have a 3G iPhone as well, so any info on how well (or otherwise) it works with your bluetooth would be interesting.

Nice car!

Hi Jason, yeah it works with Iphone 3G. Not sure of all the functions, such as recent call lists etc but it sure can pick the phone up and hang it up.

NickZ
29-04-2009, 09:10 PM
The Mk6 is really starting to grow on me, has that fresh look but still unmistakenly a golf.

Congrats on the purchase - enjoy the relative exclusiveness while it lasts!

faisan
29-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Makes such a big difference having colour coded bumpers.

dubbed
29-04-2009, 09:26 PM
I really love the Mk6. They didn't take long to grow on me at all.

Congrats on the purchase!

twotribez
30-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Bugger guys,

at 96km on the ODO and the hand brake light warning lamp flashed for about 1 minute white I was driving on the freeway. Then it went away. Again this morning my gf just called and the same thing happened.....

hmmmmmm a bit worrying for such a new car

tdi guy
30-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Does the owner's manual give examples as to when this particular warning light will come on?

TG

BTW love the look of the car - great colour choice...

twotribez
30-04-2009, 09:07 AM
yeah, says possibly brake fluid maybe low or brake failure.

Dropping car off tomorrow morning for a checkup.

Funny thing was, it happened when I started praising how good the car felt on the freeway hahaha.

tdi guy
30-04-2009, 09:09 AM
...yeah, and the Socceroos always, ALWAYS, lose when I watch them play (I haven't watched them for 5 years, I hope they appreciate my efforts...)

TG

twotribez
30-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I still love the car though, just hope we didn't get a lemon. Touch wooood

We need new lemon laws in Australia. We are so behind in our legislations. What are the freaking politicians doing these days....

tdi guy
30-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I still love the car though, just hope we didn't get a lemon. Touch wooood

We need new lemon laws in Australia. We are so behind in our legislations. What are the freaking politicians doing these days....

Its hard to know (for both your questions, really). There are so many things that can go wrong on these types of cars, it would be a miracle if you went through ownership without anything playing up. I've found with computers they either play up immediately (ie design or manufacturing fault), or never.

Chin up, its just a warning light (after all, Qantas has problems with hundreds of them...).

TG

twotribez
30-04-2009, 09:25 AM
haha Qantas??? Thats quite discomforting. Yeah I think it will probably be just a computer issue. As the brakes seem to work fine. But I did notice a difference in my car when compared to the one I test drove. The brakes are much less sensitive on mine. Could it be that the fluids are lower?

I have to drive to the airport tonight so hopefully will be ok.

Seems like Europeans make their cars too complicated for themselves. But I love the techiness of them as I am in IT. Geeek!!

twotribez
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok guys,

Just picked the car back up from the dealer. One of the 2 Vacuum hoses on the manifold fell off so it was sucking in air. All good now :)

Treza360
01-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Awesome. Looks great mate. Hope it lives up to your expectations and ours. :)
Cheers,
Trent

Greg Roles
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Nice new baby, remember to give her tough love for the first few hundred K.

maca
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I just wanted to say that the Mk 6 is an awesome little car! I had one for 2 days while my car was in for servicing and I almost regret not waiting and buying one. I had the 2.0TDI and it drives like an absolute dream, no turbo lag which is great and the refinement and quality of the car itself amazed me.. Even though it is kind of like a Mk5.5, the styling and performance is definitely a step up from the Mk5. Also loved the new style MFD incorporating digital speed readout and cruise control settings (but the screen could be a little bigger).

Compared to the Mk6, my Jetta feels like a boat!

freebo
02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
hey maca, what did you get ??

maca
02-05-2009, 10:32 PM
What do you mean what did I get? lol

gldgti
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM

he says so in origninal post...

freebo
03-05-2009, 10:57 AM
sorry macca, :duh: had a big day at work !! glad to hear mate... they are a nice car....

maca
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
sorry macca, :duh: had a big day at work !! glad to hear mate... they are a nice car....
Haha alll good :)

Dubya
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
- Boot liner (disappointed that it feels more like foam than rubber)

For the Mark V there were three different boot liners. Putting the very high-lipped one to one side, the two low-lipped liners came in a compressed foam-like material and something more like acrylic, the latter being a bit more exy.

The dealer, if they are including a boot liner in the price, will include the foam one (which could well grip loose objects better than the other one but is a bit flimsy, especially for the bucks they charge).

But if you've specified the non-foam liner, you should be able to swap (presuming the same options exist for the Mk VI).

twotribez
05-05-2009, 03:06 PM
For the Mark V there were three different boot liners. Putting the very high-lipped one to one side, the two low-lipped liners came in a compressed foam-like material and something more like acrylic, the latter being a bit more exy.

The dealer, if they are including a boot liner in the price, will include the foam one (which could well grip loose objects better than the other one but is a bit flimsy, especially for the bucks they charge).

But if you've specified the non-foam liner, you should be able to swap (presuming the same options exist for the Mk VI).

Thanks for that dubya, I will check it out but pretty sure there was only 1 option.

wicko
06-05-2009, 07:06 AM
hello macca, i ordered one of this yesterday but after reading the forums I should have got the TSI.. :duh: ... did u do city and county driving, how was it in traffic ? I got a DSG...

Ce33ee
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
wow awesome purchase, looks beautiful in white!

windyzz
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi guys,
I went down to chatswood dealer this morning and pre-ordered an MK6 GTI.
Here is the spec:
5 Door Candy White
DSG trans
18inch Monza alloy
ACC(adaptive chassis control)
Paint protect
Legal darkest tinting

The pricing is not yet finalize, but it should arrived in Aus at around october or september.

I wonder what happen if we do not include the ACC to the optional package, will the GTI have standard setting of Sport or Comfort?

P.S i so cant wait :(

guliver_twist
11-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Congrats!
Should be a Ripper!
I am sure many on here envy you :)

GTIWesome
11-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Re these two options below, you can get it done yourself and save lots of $$. Dealers margins are very high.

Plenty of forums threads on point (many of opinion that paint protection is complete waste).

Paint protect
Legal darkest tinting

Corey_R
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
I wonder what happen if we do not include the ACC to the optional package, will the GTI have standard setting of Sport or Comfort?

The answer is neither. The switch has three settings, Sport, Normal and Comfort. So if you don't get ACC, then you just have 'normal'. :)

windyzz
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Re these two options below, you can get it done yourself and save lots of $$. Dealers margins are very high.

Plenty of forums threads on point (many of opinion that paint protection is complete waste).

Paint protect
Legal darkest tinting
Paint protect + darkest legal tinting is quite ripped off I know. But i feel like having it straight away, as I'm busy with work everyday. And the deal wasnt too bad, both of paint protect + tinting = 900 including labour.

The answer is neither. The switch has three settings, Sport, Normal and Comfort. So if you don't get ACC, then you just have 'normal'. :)
Thats is ashamed :( because many reviewer said, the steering is lifeless until the 'Sport' setting is engage.

Anyway thanks guys, will update you as soon as the dealer confirmed me with the pricing and release date.
Cheers.

philthy
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Thats is ashamed :( because many reviewer said, the steering is lifeless until the 'Sport' setting is engage.

Cheers.

I believe the ACC button changes the firmness of the dampers and the assistance given to the steering. You'll probably find that the car without ACC has firm dampers and less assisted steering as standard (eg 'sport' setting :driver:). The ACC button is for when you want to go soft (eg cruising on a bumpy road).

Cheers,

-Phil

chylld
18-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi guys,
I went down to chatswood dealer this morning and pre-ordered an MK6 GTI.
Here is the spec:
5 Door Candy White
DSG trans
18inch Monza alloy
ACC(adaptive chassis control)
Paint protect
Legal darkest tinting

The pricing is not yet finalize, but it should arrived in Aus at around october or september.

P.S i so cant wait :(

hehe I was at the chatswood dealer early april and almost did the same thing :) by then i was told there had already been quite a few pre-orders.

carcareproducts
19-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Paint protect + darkest legal tinting is quite ripped off I know. But i feel like having it straight away, as I'm busy with work everyday. And the deal wasnt too bad, both of paint protect + tinting = 900 including labour.

Like the guys have said - save your money, seriously!

We can offer you a 'Paint Protection' solution for $100 that will keep it looking better for longer and I organised a BMW X5 with darkest legal for $350 with warranty - not hard to find.

Dealers make a fortune with these options and the Paint Protection in particular is not worth it - you just have to read the 5 pages of Terms & Conditions to realise that...

Cheers,
Mike

windyzz
21-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Like the guys have said - save your money, seriously!

We can offer you a 'Paint Protection' solution for $100 that will keep it looking better for longer and I organised a BMW X5 with darkest legal for $350 with warranty - not hard to find.

Dealers make a fortune with these options and the Paint Protection in particular is not worth it - you just have to read the 5 pages of Terms & Conditions to realise that...

Cheers,
Mike

Yeah.. you're right. I might think of considering this. I will let you know
Cheers
Thanks

Lima
21-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm yet to meet someone who got paint "protection" and hasn't regretted it or concluded it was a waste of money.

For the dollars they ask you could probably get a couple of professional details done every year and come out in front.

:)

Keep us updated on delivery news though. Personally, I'd be a bit concerned that nothing official about the new GTI has been said by VW Aus yet, and I hope they have learned from the delivery delay debacles suffered by early Mk5 GTI buyers.

chylld
21-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm yet to meet someone who got paint "protection" and hasn't regretted it or concluded it was a waste of money.

For the dollars they ask you could probably get a couple of professional details done every year and come out in front.

On this topic, I paid quite a lot for paint protection when I bought my 2006 Honda Civic Sport. Seemed like a good idea at the time, however it wore off in about 2 months. ABSOLUTE waste of money.

Mass
21-05-2009, 03:58 PM
I must agree with the others here. Tint and paint protection from a dealer is a complete rip-off.
I got it once with one of my black cars (the sales lady was a stunner :biggrin:)
And after a few months it was starting to mark and dull. Took it back and they referred me to the terms and conditions (you know the ones that are 600 pages long and we never read), kept on pushing for a resolution and soon after the company went under.
Having said that, a client of mine works in after market services at a major dealership here in Melbourne, and she has told me that you should never get paint protection on a black car and that her product works and she’s never had any issues with it.

windyzz
21-05-2009, 09:36 PM

Keep us updated on delivery news though. Personally, I'd be a bit concerned that nothing official about the new GTI has been said by VW Aus yet, and I hope they have learned from the delivery delay debacles suffered by early Mk5 GTI buyers.

Yeah, Haven't heard any official confirmation yet. But the GTI should be in USA by 1st September 09, and hopefully should be in Aus too since we have the mk6 (standard golf/non-gti) first.

*Hopefully, Finger crossed*

windyzz
21-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Guys Did you noticed That the MK6 GTI is quicker then MK5 (EVEN Mazda MPS) around Germany track and Spain by avaragely 1-2 seconds.

Here is the link "http://www.fastestlaps.com/car_Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Mk_VI.html"

And "http://www.fastestlaps.com/car4902a6f89e66a.html"

Very Amazing Car indeed.
Enjoy,
Cheers.

twotribez
23-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Ok, my car has been in the workshop for 2 weeks now. I had gear box issues, the box was creaking when accelerating from a standstill.

Had the ECU upgraded but still no luck. Thus, they hav decided to replace me with a brand new car instead of waiting for a new gearbox from Germany, as my car only has 500kms on the clock.

I hope I don't get another issue with the next car. I already had 2 warning lights appear on this car then the gear box problem.

If the next car has a problem, I think it will be my last time with VW.

Fingers cross!!

windyzz
23-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Ok, my car has been in the workshop for 2 weeks now. I had gear box issues, the box was creaking when accelerating from a standstill.

Had the ECU upgraded but still no luck. Thus, they hav decided to replace me with a brand new car instead of waiting for a new gearbox from Germany, as my car only has 500kms on the clock.

I hope I don't get another issue with the next car. I already had 2 warning lights appear on this car then the gear box problem.

Fingers cross!!

Dude, Trust me you'll be fine :D. When your next car arrive, it will be as good as a diamond :)

This is the risk we're taking for buying the first batch of new golf, Should be exactly the same with other manufacturer.

P.S. There are no better car in the market for the price of your golf (I suppose it match the 3 series or the c series merc :P)
Be positive :clap:

twotribez
24-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Dude, Trust me you'll be fine :D. When your next car arrive, it will be as good as a diamond :)

This is the risk we're taking for buying the first batch of new golf, Should be exactly the same with other manufacturer.

P.S. There are no better car in the market for the price of your golf (I suppose it match the 3 series or the c series merc :P)
Be positive :clap:

Haha you must have seen me from another forum. With the problems I had, was almost thinking I should have bought the bmw LOL. But I was very impressed with the golf for the price, much better then the 320i

Lima
24-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Fingers cross!!

Wow, sorry to hear of your problems. The car looks great, so let's hope the new one is a good'un.

:driver:

Cheers
Liam

LiFers
24-05-2009, 03:00 PM

First batch? Golf VI has been manufactured and shipped for 6 months before ever arriving in AU. They've shipped over 100,000 (http://www.4wheelsnews.com/vw-golf-vi-is-europes-best-selling-car/) of the things and they still working out the kinks? Vacuum hoses falling off. DSGs (and they've built over 1 million (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071222.001/volkswagen-launches-all-new-7-speed-dsg-gearbox) of those) still clunking?

Next one will be perfect?

in 2008, 128 out of 100 VW's sold in the US had problems in the first 90 days of ownership (1 car may have more than 1 problem). Compared to an industry average of 118, and Toyota at 104. Porsche top the charts with 87.

I'm all for VW technology, engineering and style, but their reliability is the 13th worst in the USA. And all those who are about to argue with the facts, as measured FOR the manufacturers (they PAY for this service), should go watch Religulous (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/), cause living in fantasy seems to be your reality.

Do you smell something burning?

Satanstoenail
24-05-2009, 03:21 PM
128 out of 100 does seem like a lot. :wasntme:

stormshark
24-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Nice looking car Mk6's look good- white particularly!:biggrin:

PassatB6
24-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I think what you mean is VW had on average 1.28 problems per car and the mighty Toyota had 1.04 per car. Doesn't sound so hugely different to me.

twotribez
25-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I guess it is understandable that VW would have more problems than say a toyota. German electronics in their cars are more complex than their Japanese counterparts. VW got the assembly time of the Golf down to 20 hours while the Japanese take around 10 hours. It could be due to production line efficiencies or the amount of parts of each vehicle.

I am not an expert in car assembly but I have been to a toyota plant and it is super quick and efficient. Possibly their cars are just not as complicated as German cars. Germans tend to be the pioneers in a lot of new technology.

However, I have been on many forums and I have to say, VW seems to have the most people complaining about problems.

I went into the purchase even though I read of all this so wasn't really upset. Actually had a laugh about it as I thought crap, I am really unlucky lol.
But it is true though, I thought about getting a full refund but there is absolutely nothing out there for the price that can compare to the MKVI. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! I had a quick look at the Audi A3 and every similar specced model is about 10k more!!!!

tdi guy
25-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I had a quick look at the Audi A3 and every similar specced model is about 10k more!!!!

... and much smaller inside! I think you are making the right choice. I bought my V knowing there was a risk of problems. My 2003 Corolla of course has never missed a beat. That said, when we were in the market last year, I suggested a second Corolla (a hatch) and my wife's comment was 'you can buy a good car if you want to' (wise women my wife...)

TG

golfmk6
25-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I got my golf late last week will get some pictures up.... Very happy so nice to drive just not sure if I got a Skoda or a VW....

Rocket
25-05-2009, 03:39 PM
there is absolutely nothing out there for the price that can compare to the MKVI. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! I had a quick look at the Audi A3 and every similar specced model is about 10k more!!!!

I think actually you raise a valid point (if not one a lot of us already know). There is nothing else that compares to golf VI (or even V at the time) for the price. But I think this is its problem. VW are trying to build a 40k RRP car for 30k RRP. Maybe this is why they have a lot of problems. They are trying to build such a great car for such a low prce, that they cut a lot of corners in quality and quality control. It is true that VW have one of the highest fault rates. One has to ask why?

Tick
25-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I got my golf late last week will get some pictures up.... Very happy so nice to drive just not sure if I got a Skoda or a VW....

If you got a Skoda :headbanger::biggrin: you are less likely to have any problems :nana:

golfmk6
25-05-2009, 04:00 PM
So maybe I got the best of both worlds...

Tick
25-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Hopefully you will enjoy trouble-free motoring

kaoticice
25-05-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm all for VW technology, engineering and style, but their reliability is the 13th worst in the USA. And all those who are about to argue with the facts, as measured FOR the manufacturers (they PAY for this service), should go watch Religulous (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0815241/), cause living in fantasy seems to be your reality.

seriously.. u might be right.. but ur comment is... to be honest.... should be :brutal:
-.-
u owe some1 an apology mate

windyzz
25-05-2009, 11:54 PM
First batch? Golf VI has been manufactured and shipped for 6 months before ever arriving in AU. They've shipped over 100,000 (http://www.4wheelsnews.com/vw-golf-vi-is-europes-best-selling-car/) of the things and they still working out the kinks? Vacuum hoses falling off. DSGs (and they've built over 1 million (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071222.001/volkswagen-launches-all-new-7-speed-dsg-gearbox) of those) still clunking?

Next one will be perfect?

in 2008, 128 out of 100 VW's sold in the US had problems in the first 90 days of ownership (1 car may have more than 1 problem). Compared to an industry average of 118, and Toyota at 104. Porsche top the charts with 87.

Then Why don't you stick with your 'Toyota' and Stick in Japanese car manufacturer forums ? (If you think they are so good)

I have MK5 GTI for 3 years, and nothing has gone wrong, My CEO just bought half a year ago with no issue at all

Sorry mate, I have never heard that many VW owner in Australia(at least in my area) complain about reliability.
My Japanese car 'Mitsubishi Outlander' in the other hand had a broken Radiator in the first year of ownerships, Suspension rattle issue, Seat belt rattle and cannot be fixed, that is the reason I'm getting rid of it and pre-ordered a MK6 GTI.

twotribez Don't listen to him, If he want a so called 'Reliable' car in his 'Fantasy world' he could stick with a boring Toyota, or Failed Honda.
My Mitsubishi Outlander had so many issues that I could not be bothered to fixed it anymore, and think of how many recalled does TRD aurion had in Toyota?
One of my Friend Mazda 3 and he had a Gearbox issue in the first year of ownership, and now he had a broken steering CV joint.
Of course we all know that Japanese car are generally more reliable, burt that is because they ae so simple and boring(as to say that they are build with no soul and passion but just to fit the market).

I personally don't care, as long as I could drive from A to B with the biggest Smile in my face :D.
I will take Euro Car ANYDAY.

twotribez
26-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Haha no worries I am sticking with VW

limmy
27-05-2009, 12:49 PM
spoke to a dealer two weeks ago and said that a november/december delivery has been flagged...although i would say jan-mar 2010 given track record. i.e. mk5 gti, and more recently the r36 was delayed by several months if i recall correctly. but regardless...it's worth the wait!

Steve
27-05-2009, 05:43 PM
After being announced for Australia, the R36 wasn't delayed - there was talk of it but I actually got mine earlier than expected.

However, from conception to production it was delayed.

I still haven't been able to place an order for a Mark 6 GTI on behalf of my mother... despite the dealer knowing that we will as soon as we can.

windyzz
27-05-2009, 08:21 PM
After being announced for Australia, the R36 wasn't delayed - there was talk of it but I actually got mine earlier than expected.

However, from conception to production it was delayed.

I still haven't been able to place an order for a Mark 6 GTI on behalf of my mother... despite the dealer knowing that we will as soon as we can.

*Finger crossed* :( I'm currently really really frustrated as VW Australia Did not announced anything at ALL. I felt like taking my deposit and buy R32 instead.

Motor Magazine 'May' edition clearly stated that GTI MK6 will be release at October, however I've heard SO Many different answer from everywhere.

This really pissed me of how they did not bothered to confirmed it. I will be much happier if they can confirmed saying it will be here next year may, at least i know and i could make my decision. But now all i have is PUZZLE and question marks.
:brutal::brutal::brutal::brutal::brutal::duh::duh: :duh::duh::duh::duh:

golfmk6
28-05-2009, 08:03 AM
So far the car drives well. I have some rattle noise which I need to check on at the first service but so far so good...

windyzz
28-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Update:
VW Dealer can confirmed that the car will Arrive This year, however there is no set of date/month yet.

Also The latest 'Wheels magazine' June edition had STated that Golf GTI MK6 is coming here @ 'September' in the incoming section.

:nana::biggrin::drinkbeer:

Lima
30-05-2009, 06:37 PM
I was in at Lennock Volkswagen today and the guy I spoke said August-September for the GTI.

I'm still a bit skeptical, but things are looking much better than I first thought.

:toast:

windyzz
30-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I was in at Lennock Volkswagen today and the guy I spoke said August-September for the GTI.

I'm still a bit skeptical, but things are looking much better than I first thought.

:toast:

WOOOHOOOO :drinkbeer::drinkbeer::drinkbeer::drinkbeer::drink beer:
COOL MANNNNNN. I think VW need to rushed it due to the MPS coming this August. And RHD is already build anyway, just need the order and shipping.

Its definitely will be september 09 for the first batch, and after quarantine etc, it should be available October as Every magazine/journalist said.

However it could be earlier, like the R36 (Hopefully). :D

P.S. I will Call my local dealer 'Chatswood classic car' tomorow, and will update this again.

Cheers :D

tentacles1
30-05-2009, 06:58 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/Golf/auction-221130708.htm

NZ gets it within the next month so may arrive earlier than expected. Priced a few thousand up on the last GTi though, but that might be a NZ thing only.

windyzz
30-05-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/Golf/auction-221130708.htm

NZ gets it within the next month so may arrive earlier than expected. Priced a few thousand up on the last GTi though, but that might be a NZ thing only.

WahhOOOOOO. :drinkbeer::drinkbeer::drinkbeer:
THis make my DAY MATE :D. Hope its coming SOONER.

CHEERS:cool46::headbanger::-D

Yevvy
31-05-2009, 12:12 PM
$58,340?!!! I guess it's in NZ. How much was the mk5?

tentacles1
31-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I think they were about $54k. Scirocco is $56k so the new GTi is priced a little above that. These prices are for a 5 door with DSG though.

windyzz
31-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Ah.... price is quite expensive there. I'm calling my dealer, but unfortunately they are all busy. :(

windyzz
01-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Guys,

HERE IS THE BIGGEST NEWS , i got reply from JUTTA DIERKS (Volkswagen Group Australia CEO).

"We are currently working toward finalising specification and pricing details for the GTI with our Head Office in Germany. For this reason we have not yet been able to communicate specific details with our dealers or customers. However, as a valued customer we would like to share with you that we are on schedule with our planning for the Australian launch in the fourth quarter of this year."

:drinkbeer:.
THANKS VGA- I LOVE YOU.

windyzz
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi guys,
Because I'm dying of waiting for my MK 6 GTI to arrive here, I went down to chatswood VW dealer and do a test drive on the white 118 TSI + DSG.

My first impression were FABULOUS:
1. It feel much better to drive then my MK5 GTI (Even though the GTI feel much quicker), but I could barely feel lag in the 118 TSI. The throttle response in low rev feel better(don't know whether the supercharge or the new redesign air intake helped it) and it rev very smoothly to red line.

2. NVH, much improved. With full window up I could barely hear anything, not even when the engine were at the red line. There is also no vibration coming from the engine at all time.
It feels like driving a E series Mercedes benz :eek:

3.Ride/Quality. iI felt like I'm moving upper class from my GTI to the new Golf.
Door plastic, dashboard, the interor color, and everything else. It just feel more expensive and better. i could say it could be match to Audi a3.

The Ride in 'comfort' mode feels floaty, however it is SOO Comfortable that made me thought I'm driving a limo :S *Confused*. Then I switched it back to 'sport' mode, everything feel more lively suddenly, spring feel more firmer, yet still absorbing bump really well.

Conclusion:
The New golf are 1 step ahead if compared to the old MK5, the 118tsi might not be a fast car, but I prefer 118tsi compare to my mk5 GTI for an everyday car.

(P.S The white dial work well :P, makes the car feel very expensive)

Cheers,
Hope this information help for those seeking for new golf :P, Trust me :P

Regards.

colin
13-06-2009, 03:25 PM
The last two cars I bought I had paint protection, fabric protection and darkest tint. I have never regretted it. The next car I get I will do the same, only this next I will get it done privately after delivery and save my money.

The last time was my 05 Golf and the dealer did it for the "fleet price" $700. I could have halved that away from the dealer.

Lima
15-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Guys,

HERE IS THE BIGGEST NEWS , i got reply from JUTTA DIERKS (Volkswagen Group Australia CEO).

"We are currently working toward finalising specification and pricing details for the GTI with our Head Office in Germany. For this reason we have not yet been able to communicate specific details with our dealers or customers. However, as a valued customer we would like to share with you that we are on schedule with our planning for the Australian launch in the fourth quarter of this year."

:drinkbeer:.
THANKS VGA- I LOVE YOU.

Nice one!

You need to be mates with Anke now.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/VWAustraliaMDs-1.jpg
http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/06/06/changes-at-the-top-for-vw-australia.html

windyzz
15-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Hahah yeah :D. Now I'm hoping to be her good friend, so she can send me the car ASAP hehehehe :P

twotribez
18-06-2009, 12:08 AM
I just got my replacement car back, its a March 09 build and I have to say, still a slight creaking noise from the gear box, not as loud as before and not as frequent, I am thinking it is just how the DSG gearbox is built.

Very happy to be in an MKVI though after driver a diesel MKV for the past 4 weeks. MKVI is so much quieter and I can't even tell if the engine is on :)

However, some good news is that this one does not have the driver's door rattling noise or the loud clunk from the rear.

Fingers crossed about the gearbox as I am thinking whether I should request a gearbox ECU upgrade or not as I think that was released in May sometime?

ox518
18-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Good to hear you got your golf again.

Enjoy~~

NewDub
29-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Picked up the new Golf on Friday afternoon. Love it!
Smooth and refined motoring compared to what I'm use to.
ACC is great and DSG technology continues to amaze me.

...and only a couple of gripes so far!

1. Drivers door trim is not fitted properly. Only noticed this yesterday, but it is where you grab the handle to pull the door shut.
2. There seems to be a scraping/rubbing noise from brakes at VERY slow speeds?

oh yes and 3.... they didn't have any mats available on delivery even though we had paid for them... they reckon 2 weeks to get them.

Other than that the car is great. Heated seats were a joy this morning!

tdi guy
29-06-2009, 10:40 AM
2. There seems to be a scraping/rubbing noise from brakes at VERY slow speeds?

My MKV had that too, but it passed after a few 100km (just bedding in?).

Congrats.

NewDub
29-06-2009, 11:03 AM
My MKV had that too, but it passed after a few 100km (just bedding in?).

Cheers, Was hoping it would be somthing simple like that! Fingers crossed anyway.

Rufus
29-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Will be arriving mid to late October!

Should look something like this but with RS4 rims:D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/3162cdj-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/xaz4mw-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/2ni165w-1.jpg

windyzz
29-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Congratz on your new car :D (Looks awesome with the kit), but mid-late october that will be a long wait.

phaeton
29-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Congrats Rufus :D

What colour ?

golfmk6
03-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey guys, I have now had the car for 1 month and done 4500km and loving it. I have never owned a diesel but I'm getting excellent km per tank and love to power on the highway...

The rattling has gone not sure what it was the compliance plate has been fixed and the car keeps getting better and better.

I also was lucky enough to buy my car from a great dealer with excellent customer server before and after purchase

JasonP
03-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Picked up my new 118TSI on Monday 29th June.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

I love this car, & it's my first VW.

Silver Leaf 118TSI, RNS510, Sports Pack with Leather, ACC, Self Park system, DSG, etc, etc.

Yeah, yeah.. I know options don't add up to much when itcome to retained value & resale, but at least I've got heaps of gadgets to play with when stuck in Brisbanes' horrendous traffic.

Stop start driving day 1, took it for a run up to Gympie on Day 2, & more city driving Day 3. Average Consumption was 6.5l/100 on Day 2, & 7.4 l/100 by day 3.
Very impressed.
I won't miss my VE SS as much as I'd thought.

Nick
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi Guys

Just bought a MKVI TDI DSG. What a car!

Bought the car second hand, was purchased in March and done just over 17k kms. Its spotless, mostly freeway driving.

One issue i have is that the interior light seem not to be working. This means, no map lights and no boot lights. Is there a setting to disable interior lights orsomething, fuse maybe??? Footwell lighting is fine.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter (boom, boom haha)??? May save me a trip to the dealer if it's a simple/silly fix.

Thanks in advance.

N

chylld
06-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Picked up my new 118TSI on Monday 29th June.
I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

nice! How much was the bluetooth? (i.e. what was the dealer's standard pricing before haggling?)

guliver_twist
07-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Not to that extent....
sounds like a simple warranty claim...
Let the dealers fix it... that's what warranty is for..

guliver_twist
07-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Jason, how is Dynaudio?

cheers,

blutopless2
07-07-2009, 07:12 AM
dont think you can disable them using the MFD. more likely to be a fuse.

JasonP
07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Dynaudio is fantastic!!!!! Definitely worth the extra funds.
Very glad I ticked that box, considering that I typically don't change audio headunits for aftermarket ones.
Basically, the clarity of the sound is very good at all volumes, & it works very well wth the RNS510.

JasonP
07-07-2009, 08:15 PM
The Premium Bluetooth sarted out at $1899 from the dealer......

It is very good, & intergrates well with the RNS510.
I have an iPhone 3G, & it hooks up via Bluetooth very quickly, & copies the phonebook numbers over.
I have noticed that if you have a huge amount of phone numbers, not all of them will copy across. Deleting some old entries fixed that problem.

Also, when finishing a call, you must hangup via the RNS510 screen, otherwise it will "hang" the system, & won't allow audio playback to resume.

Once you get the hang of that, it all works flawlessly.

I would definitely get the RNS510 again in another VW, or something similar in an Audi.
Expensive, but worth the money.

chylld
07-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Sounds like the dynaudio option might be worth it :) Did you have a chance to compare it to the standard sound system?

Thanks for the bluetooth pricing, that's pretty expensive but the integration is impressive. I use my blueant unit maybe once a month so I don't think I can justify the VW version :)

Nick
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Checked out the fuses and all look fine. Not sure if this is good or bad news but anyway. S#!ts me all the same. What nis interesting is that at some stage in the past 17k kms the fuse cover has been removed before. Has me a tad worried...

Hope the dreaded VW reliability prophecies arent comming true already for me....:frown:

JasonP
08-07-2009, 05:19 AM
I basically use the bluetooth connection nearly every time I drive. (I'm a Mortgage Broker).
For that reason, I have bluetooth in my other car (08 Mazda 2), & also had it in my previous one (07 VE SS).

Of the 3, the better system by far is the one in my Golf.
The Holden Factory Bluetooth (standard with the car I had), worked quite well, but always echoed for approx 30 secs afte each call connected.

The one in the Mazda 2 (factory option) works reasonably well too.

Nick
18-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey guys,

Nice of you all to rush with responses haha:)

Just an update, car spent two days with VW dealer who finally think theyve located the problem. They think it lies with some 'on board power' which apparently has 3 parts, one of which controls the interior lighting (other than the footwells it would seem) and the wiper sensor. 12-14 days wait on the part from Germany....really hoping this isnt the first of many problems with my first VW.

Cheers
N

Lima
24-07-2009, 10:28 PM
windyzz, have you heard anything lately? I'm hearing October as a date for the GTI launch now???

sillygogo
28-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi all,

Been reading this great forum for a while and this is my first post. Got a new Tsi dsg for about 1 month, done around 1700km, very happy with the car but regret on not getting the sports pack. The suspension felt softer than the test vehicle, the car is bouncing when drive on concrete highway around 100km/h.

Brought it back to VW but couldn't find the problem. Had the Tdi for the loan car. The Tdi feels great, firm suspension and great handling. Don't know what are the different in the setups. Another feature that I like in the Tdi is hillstart assist. With the Tdi the car hold and moves forward when you let go of the brake pedal but with the Tsi the car roles back if you don't accelerate straight away.

I am keen on getting the APR chip but concern with the 250nW specs on the gear box and the soft suspension not able to use or handle the extra power. Any suggestions for the suspensions or if other experience a similar issue?

2009 118TSi Dsg

ope126
28-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Hey Mate, great choice of car there!

I had my Passat getting a service yesterday and was given a MK6 Golf 118TSI DSG as a loan vehicle for the day. I was suprised that when I took my foot off the brake, it actually held the brakes momentarily, then would roll back. When I drove my first DSG back on 2005, It rolled back as soon as you took your foot off the brake. So not sure if there is a problem with your car, or it is just a flook. Just my experience!

Still a great choice though!

coastie
28-07-2009, 09:13 PM
The Hill assist in the TSI works like that, the TDI has the torque to make the vehicle moves off whereas the TSI needs some throttle to tell it to move. It's only minor but not hard to get used to. I got the sports pack with mine and feel that the suspension can be a bit harsh at times and regret not getting the fully adjustable suspension. Sometimes you can't know all the best bits.

In other threads on here they talk about the DSG being a manual concept so if you don't add some throttle then its like the clutch is still in and you roll backwards. Not sure if it will roll more than 0.5m though. Never tested it.

sillygogo
28-07-2009, 10:00 PM
ope126 & coastie : thank you for your replies.

You are correct, the hill assist does hold it for about 0.5sec then it will roll back. I am glad it has improved from the previous version. I am starting to get a hang of it. At time I do use to the hand brake driving like a true manual especially when there is a large truck behind. Bit tricky when reversing, I am not yet able to fine control it.

coastie: I see the extra torque helps with the moving forward..hehehe will the APR chip with the extra torque be the same? I guess I would have get to know the DSG gearbox. About the rolling back it goes a few meters before i push the brake. The adaptive chassis would be nice. But somehow i think my car's ride is little too soft and bouncy.

tdi guy
29-07-2009, 09:45 AM
ope126 & coastie : thank you for your replies.

You are correct, the hill assist does hold it for about 0.5sec then it will roll back. I am glad it has improved from the previous version. I am starting to get a hang of it. At time I do use to the hand brake driving like a true manual especially when there is a large truck behind. Bit tricky when reversing, I am not yet able to fine control it.

coastie: I see the extra torque helps with the moving forward..hehehe will the APR chip with the extra torque be the same? I guess I would have get to know the DSG gearbox. About the rolling back it goes a few meters before i push the brake. The adaptive chassis would be nice. But somehow i think my car's ride is little too soft and bouncy.

1. x2 I tend to put the car manually into 1st, which seems to limit roll back, especially with a little throttle;

2. Can you add the adaptive suspension at the dealer? That would be my choice FAIW.

sillygogo
29-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Tsi guy: I actually don't really mind using the hand brake, but this will eventually be my wife's car. She really don't like how the car roles back. In terms of the adaptive control, its a VW options only and not available at the dealership. So I might look into getting an aftermarket system or maybe have VW look into it. Could be setting somewhere. When I have the TDi, I've noticed that it has Michellin instead of the Bridgestone. It could even be the tyres, don't know yet.

chylld
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
A mate of mine just spotted a Mk6 GTI on a truck heading from Port Kembla to PrixCar (http://www.prixcar.com.au/).

Shouldn't be too long now chaps. :)

why delete?

Lima
05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
:duh:

Sorry, thought it was worth a thread of its own (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=32541).

MaccaTSI
13-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi All,

Just picked up my 118TSI on Tuesday and love it. Only have a couple of dodgy phone pics at the moment but wanted to share, will get some better ones this weekend.

It's United Grey with DSG and Sports Pack with ACC.

This is my first VW and so far I'm loving it!!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/Golf1edited-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/Golf2edited-1.jpg

kaoticice
13-08-2009, 09:41 AM
nice ride.. im always a fan of united gray!!

Any plan for the ride in the future ??:banana: (apr....*cough*....apr) :P

MaccaTSI
13-08-2009, 10:01 AM
I've been looking at the APR ECU upgrade :)

I'm assuming something like that would void the warranty tho?? Don't think the wife would be too impressed with that unfortunately :(

I also like the Votex body kit. Think it adds a bit of sportiness without looking like an over the top body kit. It would need 18" wheels of course :biggrin:

The interior is pretty much perfect already, I love it. Wouldn't mind these though http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_108_110&products_id=33&zenid=7aa584426fd5ef4b1b5606fd128321ab

Lams
13-08-2009, 01:29 PM
APR doesn't void warranty, give them a call and they will explain how it works. Congrats on the new ride!

madison
13-08-2009, 01:32 PM
hii

Damnn it - i still have to wait for mine, they told me mid Nov- is anyone out there waiting for theres
118tsi manual with sportspack

Greg Roles
13-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice ride, my fav colour too, and must say the MK6 is indeed finally growing on me. My MKV looks old!

maca
13-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Very nice! Let us know what the ACC's like :)

Schnapp
13-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Looks great :) Same as mine except ive got the sunroof instead of the ACC.

JasonP
13-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Great looking car.

I love the ACC in mine, except for the stupid position of the button. (in front of the DSG lever, hidden down in the console.)
Surely they could have found a spot on the steering wheel, or something.

Despite this, I change the settings often.

Mainly use Comfort on Brisbanes' crap roads, & switch to Sport for some twisty bits near my home.
You'll enjoy it!

ox518
13-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I have noticed that I will be able to pick my 118TSI DSG with ACC next Tuesday. Although it is behind 10 days as scheduled. I am still happy and looking forward to get it home.

Here I have a few questions to ask you guys, any advises will help.

1. What should I check on a brand new car in the dealer? (this is my first new car)

2. Im living at Canberra now and the car is actually in Sydney, which means I have to drive it back in the next day. I know it is not very good for a new car under 1K mileage on a highway. So, my question is, what kind of issues I should pay attention. Such as keep it below 100km/h? Or keep it below 2500rpm?

Thank you very much.

cheers,
ox518

Prawn07
13-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I've got ACC too and its fun to play around it. Agree with the positioning. I'm thinking of sticking some 3M velco tape on the button, so that I can just 'feel' it and push it without looking down. Maybe the service guys can exchange it with the position of the set tyre pressure button (far right of the panelling).

Re chipping, my concern is the 7-speed DSG cant handle the torque. Its officially rated at 250Nm, APR quotes 317Nm, thats almost 30% more than the stated. Of course I believe the Germans have factored in a buffer in their official ratings. The other evidence that it probably cant handle it is that the turbo diesel which has 320Nm torque only comes in the 6 speed DSG. So chipping the TSI118 DSG might be risky, I'm still thinking about it... (Oettinger offers a 290Nm chip, which may be less risky)

mtj007
13-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Im living at Canberra now and the car is actually in Sydney, which means I have to drive it back in the next day. I know it is not very good for a new car under 1K mileage on a highway. So, my question is, what kind of issues I should pay attention. Such as keep it below 100km/h? Or keep it below 2500rpm?

Don't use cruise control and vary the revs - when my car was new I had to do a 400km return highway trip so I'd leave it in S for a while so it would hold gears and then back to D. I'd also slow right down to 10-20km/h (when there was no traffic behind me) using the gears for engine braking and then punch it back up to 110 (not foot to the floor, but still hardish acceleration). Every now and then I'd bump it across into tiptronic and leave it in 5th gear for a while, then down into 4th for a bit and then back to 6th.

Basically avoid constant speed/revs and don't be afraid to put your foot down a bit, many agree that babying it during run-in is actually worse for the engine. My car's done around 12 500km now and has really started loosening up - feels better than ever :driver:

Prawn07
13-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Do a thorough exterior & interior check of the car. When I got mine I noticed that the passenger door seal was coming out a bit. I also noticed a fly in my window tinting!

The car manual has instructions on driving in the car. From memory, it was first 1000km dont use full throttle and it also stated a maximum speed (its proportion of the maximum speed of the car). I think under 100km/hr should be okay. And then very gradually increase revs after 1000km. Personally I tried to keep revs under 3000rpm if possible for the first 1000km. Also I tried not to idle the engine for too long at traffic lights, also didnt use cruise control for first 1000km.

Enjoy the car!

Transporter
14-08-2009, 07:38 AM
I actually prefer a long distance drive for running in a new engine.
Also when you start up a cold engine let it idle for 20-30s maximum and slowly drive off. Until engine reaches operating temperature 80-90 deg.C drive gently. Remember brakes, axles and transmission is also running in.

Don't forget to take a camera with you for first pictures of your new car and enjoy. :banana:

MaccaTSI
14-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks all! I'm becoming quite addicted to driving it.

The ACC is pretty cool, hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend to go for a longer drive and properly test it out, only been doing short trips in it so far. The button is definitely in an awkward spot though lol

Hmm.... APR is tempting if it doesn't void the warranty, might have to do a bit more research :) If it's not too much for the gearbox that is. I'm sure it would be okay considering the R32 has 320nm as well (assuming it's the same gearbox? Still learning about my dubs :P)

ox518
14-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't use cruise control and vary the revs - when my car was new I had to do a 400km return highway trip so I'd leave it in S for a while so it would hold gears and then back to D. I'd also slow right down to 10-20km/h (when there was no traffic behind me) using the gears for engine braking and then punch it back up to 110 (not foot to the floor, but still hardish acceleration). Every now and then I'd bump it across into tiptronic and leave it in 5th gear for a while, then down into 4th for a bit and then back to 6th.

Basically avoid constant speed/revs and don't be afraid to put your foot down a bit, many agree that babying it during run-in is actually worse for the engine. My car's done around 12 500km now and has really started loosening up - feels better than ever :driver:

Thanks for advising, really helpful!!

ox518
14-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Do a thorough exterior & interior check of the car. When I got mine I noticed that the passenger door seal was coming out a bit. I also noticed a fly in my window tinting!

The car manual has instructions on driving in the car. From memory, it was first 1000km dont use full throttle and it also stated a maximum speed (its proportion of the maximum speed of the car). I think under 100km/hr should be okay. And then very gradually increase revs after 1000km. Personally I tried to keep revs under 3000rpm if possible for the first 1000km. Also I tried not to idle the engine for too long at traffic lights, also didnt use cruise control for first 1000km.

Enjoy the car!

WOW....a fly in the tint....did the dealer fix these issues for you?

ox518
14-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I actually prefer a long distance drive for running in a new engine.
Also when you start up a cold engine let it idle for 20-30s maximum and slowly drive off. Until engine reaches operating temperature 80-90 deg.C drive gently. Remember brakes, axles and transmission is also running in.

Don't forget to take a camera with you for first pictures of your new car and enjoy. :banana:

I will upload pics when I back home~~~

And some one else mentioned that long distance drive is good for a new engine....anyway, I will ask dealer by then.

Prawn07
14-08-2009, 09:25 PM
So MaccaTSI what car did you have previously? I had a Mazda 3 SP23, but the golf is definitely a better car. For me the Golf is my first VW like you.

The R32 & GTIs have 6-speed DSG gearboxes with a wet-clutch system. The TSI118 has a 7-speed dry clutch system (requires less oil). Actually I would be interested if any one with a TSI118 DSG has chipped their car without problem.

Prawn07
14-08-2009, 10:28 PM
ox518, yep the window tint was redone, was a hassle though because I had to bring the car back to the service department the following week.

That was a real sloppy job. I told VW they should change their tinters!

logger
15-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Does MY09 equate to build or manufacture date? Reason I ask is I just saw a MK6 in a dealer with build DEC 08 and Compliance Feb 09. Would that mean, when you eventually sell it you call it a 2008 or 2009 model?

pologti18t
15-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Does MY09 equate to build or manufacture date? Reason I ask is I just saw a MK6 in a dealer with build DEC 08 and Compliance Feb 09. Would that mean, when you eventually sell it you call it a 2008 or 2009 model?

Its based on the build date. So its a 2008 car for trade in valuation.

logger
15-08-2009, 11:09 PM
OK thanks . Hopefully mine will be an 09 build, but not that it really matters too much.

MaccaTSI
17-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Before the Golf I had a RenaultSport Clio 172, which was a quick little car and fun to drive. But I'm actually enjoying the VW a lot more!!

The clio you have to rev the guts out of it, it's really frantic driving, which is fun don't get me wrong, but the Golf is just effortless, with plenty of torque!

The majority of cars that I've had have been more performance oriented cars and I thought I would need to get a GTI as anything less wouldn't be enjoyable. How wrong I was, I love this car :D

Interesting info about the gearboxes, didn't realise that. I too would like to know about tuning experiences, I'm a bit hesitant at the moment lol

dynamictiger
18-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Anyone seen a 118 TSI manual in Perth availabel for a test drive?

madison
18-08-2009, 11:13 AM
It's so hard to find a manual to test drive :mad:

I ordered my car mid July and have to wait till mid nov and who knows if it will come the day the said..

ox518
18-08-2009, 09:34 PM
just quickly update, picked up my car this morning. love it!! Still trying to understand all the function on the car.....

will upload pics when I go back to Canberra.

MaccaTSI
18-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Congrats!! Hope you enjoyed the drive home! :D

logger
19-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Lucky you. I get mine in a couple of days.Cant Wait.

Lima
19-08-2009, 10:44 AM
...2. Im living at Canberra now and the car is actually in Sydney, which means I have to drive it back in the next day. I know it is not very good for a new car under 1K mileage on a highway. So, my question is, what kind of issues I should pay attention. Such as keep it below 100km/h? Or keep it below 2500rpm?...

We bought our old Mk4 GTI in Sydney all those years ago. Driving it home was half the fun. As noted, don't use cruise control, or, if you do, just make sure you vary the speed/gears/engine revs so that it's not cruising at the same speed all the time.

Maybe take a detour off the Federal Highway as well. If you have the time take the coast road through Nowra and up the Clyde. You don't have to push it, but working the engine over (without hitting redline) is no bad thing.

I picked up my new car last Saturday and spent Sunday driving around Cotter/Tidbinbilla. Racked up 270-odd kilometres and gave the car a thorough workout. The thrashings on the same roads can't come soon enough, haha.

As a closing comment, and YMMV, I don't think running in new car engines is the science it once was. For example, you could probably drive it like you stole it from day one and not do too much damage (so long as you give the engine time to warm up first, of course!).

Enjoy! :banana:

pologti18t
19-08-2009, 01:54 PM
As a closing comment, and YMMV, I don't think running in new car engines is the science it once was. For example, you could probably drive it like you stole it from day one and not do too much damage (so long as you give the engine time to warm up first, of course!).

Enjoy! :banana:

There is one opinion that the best run-in procedure for a new car IS to thrash it. This should only be done once the car is warmed up.

The two worse things you can do during this initial phase is to idle for too long (never idle a car to warm it up) and drive in peak hour traffic.

I have used this method for running in my Astra SRI and the current Polo. In fact the run in procedure for the Polo consisted of a 800km run up the Oxley highway :) Car now runs very well and has very little oil usage between service and no gearbox issues.

Lima
19-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Makes sense to me.

And the warming up part is interesting too. The oil temp on the S3 can be checked relatively easily through the DIS on the dash. When fully warm, the temp will be somewhere around 90°, although it gets a bit higher if you're pushing a bit harder.

I live 13km from work and these past few days have had temps below freezing overnight. By the time I finish my 15-20 minute commute to work the oil temp is struggling to make 80°.

Will be interesting to see how that compares in the warmer months.

kevin118
24-08-2009, 09:19 PM
sillygogo - I was interested in your original post, which I missed first time round. I have test driven the golf with the sports pack and have not tried it without - with handling in mind.

I thought the sports pack car drove really well, but I thought the extra $1700 (give or take) for the pack was a lot.

I don't know how much the tyres affect the ride versus the sports suspension. I also have no idea what it would cost to upgrade just the wheels to 17".

The sports pack seems very popular - alot of the (few) golf 6's I see around have it.

Have you grown to like your normal suspension car?

aristocrat
25-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I think if they were able to fit a VW adaptive control in your car, it would be very expensive as an after fitment. Have you thought about just changing the suspension over to a Bilstein PSS9 or something like that? Sometimes just a firmer damper/shock absorber will just absorb that rebound so you get better road holding. I personally find Bilsteins the best compromise - not too harsh, but Konis tend to be too hard in my opinion. Good luck.

logger
25-08-2009, 09:18 AM
...what kind of issues I should pay attention. Such as keep it below 100km/h? Or keep it below 2500rpm?

Don't use cruise control and vary the revs -

Running my car in at the moment and I read your suggestion not to use cruise control. Whilst in principle it makes sense, if you have the DSG you can readily vary the RPM with cruise control engaged at a constant speed. I would have thought using the Tiptronic mode to regularly change between 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th gears (and for instance doubling the RPM at a constant speed) would be as beneficial if not better than simply driving in freeway traffic at 100kph +/-5 with cruise control off. So to my way of thinking constant RPM is the no no. As long as you vary the revs - using the CRZ control is OK. Any way just a thought.

sillygogo
25-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Kevin118: True 1700 seems high, however, it think with some negotiation, i would be around 1200-1400 :D .. the suspension would be firmer and more control(i think), the foggys or driving lights would be great, got a quote for $400 for an after market installation. And ofcourse bigger rims, but that also means more expense when time to replace the rubber.

I think the tyres will change the ride. I the past with the Celica, it has Yokohama tyres. It felt soft and not a grippy. However, it felt great, firm and more control when i replace them with Falken tyres.

In terms of living with it, well yes and no. Its great of everyday driving. It only bugs me on the highway with bumpy road where we just bobbing along.

Strange thing is that when I put the DSG into S mode, the cars feel tighter and firmer. I could be i forgot about the feel and enjoying the engine sound and the acceleration.

aristocrat: ACC would be nice, you are right, anything fitted will cost me a arm and a leg maybe 2. VW said that there are no suspension upgrade available at the dealer. I would love to change the suspense with an aftermarket system. Could you point me to the right direction>? thanks.

Overall, I am starting to like the car, however, little bugs start to come out.
1. Ticking noise at Bpillar. Started from 0K, Back twice : not resolve.
2. Wind noise from driver's side door. Started from 0K Seal replaced: resolved
3. Sunvisor vibration noise. 500k, replaced, resolved
4. Brake pedal vibration noise: 0k, tighten, not resolved.
5. Squell noise on gear change: 2500k, checked, not resolved.
6. small oil stain near fuse box: 3000k, to be inspected.

Hmm. hopes nothing more problems come up.

mtj007
25-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Running my car in at the moment and I read your suggestion not to use cruise control. Whilst in principle it makes sense, if you have the DSG you can readily vary the RPM with cruise control engaged at a constant speed. I would have thought using the Tiptronic mode to regularly change between 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th gears (and for instance doubling the RPM at a constant speed) would be as beneficial if not better than simply driving in freeway traffic at 100kph +/-5 with cruise control off. So to my way of thinking constant RPM is the no no. As long as you vary the revs - using the CRZ control is OK. Any way just a thought.

You're right, it's just that when you are using your foot to maintain speed you can't keep it perfectly still so the revs are always changing. Using cruise control the revs are still constant in each gear - probably doesn't really make much of a difference to be honest as long as you keep changing gear frequently.

The manual says to avoid cruise control for the first however many kms but that's probably aimed at the normal mum and dad drivers who turn the car on, whack it in Drive, drive at the speed limit with normal acceleration from day 1.

Don't think I mentioned this in my first post - when I was researching how to run in my car I read somewhere that is also a good idea to use engine braking to help prevent glazing of the bores. (Traffic allowing) I would use tiptronic a lot and bump it down through the gears without using the brakes up to a red light/stop sign/whatever... I still do this today or drop it into S so it blips the throttle and engine brakes as I'm braking.

aristocrat
25-08-2009, 11:17 PM
sillygogo: if you are unhappy about the ride being too soft as in not getting enough road feedback, changing the rim to 17 inch or even another tyre but sticking with the 16 inch would improve things, but as mentioned before, the cost of 17 inch rubber would be slightly dearer but not much. I recall in my XC Barina, just putting on Dunlop's Formula FM901 (superceded now) on the same 15 inch rim firms everything up and the tyre flex on cornering is minimal and steering feels much more direct. As you go to more performance tyres, the sidewall of those tyres tend to be stiffer and hence you'll get more road feel, but at a compromise of harsher ride.

If its the "wallowy" suspension that's bugging you, you might have to try initially with changing the shock absorbers like I mentioned before. The Bilsteins are great, but they ain't cheap. If this doesn't satisfactorily iron out your concern, then go stiffer springs. I think you'll find that just changing the dampers would suffice, if you're not going to push the car as in a race track.

aristocrat
25-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Its based on the build date. So its a 2008 car for trade in valuation.

You'll find that the motor dealers play it to their advantage. My MY09 .:R32 was built in June 08, complianced in Australia in May 09, dealer delivery documents as well as state registration authorities call it 2009 VW R32. I think if its been complianced in 2009 and the updated features is actually 2009, you can call it a 2009, especially if your rego says its a 2009.

When it comes time for you to trade your vehicle in, dealers will crunch you being a 2008 model since that's when it was built. Bear in mind, a lot of manufacturers start manufacturing the specifications for the next year sometime as early as June.

My $0.02 worth

kevin118
26-08-2009, 06:50 AM
sillygogo: So, apart from: the ticking noise at Bpillar, Wind noise from driver's side door, Sunvisor vibration noise, Brake pedal vibration noise, Squell noise on gear change, and the small oil stain near fuse box ... would you say it was well built??

I thought the Golf 6 were made in Germany. Are the Germans losing it?

ps
the sports pack is officially 2K, I was already factoring in a bit of a discount!

sillygogo
26-08-2009, 07:19 AM
aristocrat: thank you for your advice, true indeed going to a 17 will lower the profile of the tyres and will give a firmer/harsher ride. I think i will change to another rubber when the time comes and if that doesn't do it then by that time will go for the Bilsteins.

Racetract? hahaha, nar I not the type to push to the car or hoon around :D, however, I do like a car with good road-feel and control.

We have Goodyear Assurance on the "mrs" Xc Barina, its a good all rounder tyre. Although its not a controlled as the Golf, the Barina has better roadfeel. hmm, maybe the shocks are gone and I am feeling the full road :D. Hopefully mrs will get the hang of the DSG gearbox and take the Golf, so I can get a GTi or another one with ACC or the sports pack.

sillygogo
26-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Kevin118: hahaha, I would say it is a well build car, being the first from the new platform, there are always little bugs to iron out. Hopefully, the list faults stops here.

I think the German might be going budget path and dropping on quality. I saw the video on the vehicle production, alot of the trims and parts are snap on and screw on, so there will be some plastic clips failing in the long run.

2k for the sports pack, i see. At the time of my purchase, I was really tight on the budget and didn't pushed too far for the sports pack discount. However, I think its worth it, well maybe around $14-1500 : ).

TuNeS
26-08-2009, 08:16 AM
These cars arent race cars and are made for the average Joe Bloggs to drive and VW has a very good reputation. Therefore they have to allow for people who are going to baby them and put the in 'D' for the first 1500km.

Varying the revs and accelerating and decelerating will be good for it and help it bed in. On the highway leave it in 5th or 6th (manual) and put the motor under load as you accelerate. As long as you dont do it to early in it life, high revs shouldnt really be a problem provided you dont hold the high revs for long.

PassatB6
26-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I think the German might be going budget path and dropping on quality. I saw the video on the vehicle production, alot of the trims and parts are snap on and screw on, so there will be some plastic clips failing in the long run.

I think your problem is that you have owned too many low quality vehicles in the past and you are uncomfortable going up a few notches. From someone who has owned a Barina this is just lunacy.

Lima
26-08-2009, 11:16 PM
...Bear in mind, a lot of manufacturers start manufacturing the specifications for the next year sometime as early as June...

Or even May in the case of Audi. :cool:

sillygogo
27-08-2009, 07:46 AM
PassatB6: Well having owned a variety of vehicles in the lower priced and driven some vehicles in higher a priced bracket, I would expect the refinement and built quality of the golf to be better.

Ofcourse I couldn't compare the Barina with a Golf, two totally different classes. But i say the build quality of the Celica is solid even after 6 years, it $8000 more though.

Do get me wrong, overall I think this Golf is a great car, there are just few little things to iron out to make it even a better car.

markw1009
27-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Hello, Interesting what you say about when builds of new cars with new specs are started. I have ordered a Jetta 118TSI (6spd man, Leather, Sat nav, 18" wheels) and I am not sure what I'm going to get. There must be new specs because even tho the VW website and brochures say that the Jetta can be optioned with a diesel with manual trans that is no longer an option if you want manual you have to have a 118TSI and front fog lights are no longer available. So I wait in anticipation. The expected delivery date is end of Sept. Then I have to run it in.

Schnapp
27-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry off-topic -

Is the lights at the bottom of golf doors suppose to light up when the door is opened? It currently looks like red reflectors...but doesnt light up...

sillygogo
29-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Schnapp: looks like they are just reflectors.

Speaking of lights, is there a trick for the Follow-me-home light to turn on automatically like the Golf 5?

Yevvy
29-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Sorry off-topic -

Is the lights at the bottom of golf doors suppose to light up when the door is opened? It currently looks like red reflectors...but doesnt light up...

only mk4s (mk3,mk2,mk1?) get that feature :) newer models get crappy reflectors

RECRUT
29-08-2009, 08:33 PM
sillygogo. What was your salesman like. Awesome? :)

sillygogo
30-08-2009, 08:08 AM
sillygogo. What was your salesman like. Awesome? :)

Hmm, Awesome isn't the word. He was uninterested until we say we are buying the car NOW. He was good in the sense of not pushy but helpful. However, some empty promises.

Ozram
30-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Schnapp: looks like they are just reflectors.

Speaking of lights, is there a trick for the Follow-me-home light to turn on automatically like the Golf 5?

You can set them up on the MFD menu.

sillygogo
30-08-2009, 05:34 PM
You can set them up on the MFD menu.

The only options available are on/off and delay time. At the moment, i have to flash the highbeam before exiting the car to have it turn on. The dial is set at AUTO, is that correct?

gerhard
30-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Might sound silly, but are your tyres not pumped up enough?

If so, try going up in pressure by 3-4psi, this can sometimes completely transform a car.

Tyre brand/model can also respond completely differently to turn-in and bounce. See if dealer will let you try a different tyre/wheel from another car.

RECRUT
30-08-2009, 09:14 PM
In the MKVI you have to flash your high beams to activate your leaving home.
The HSA will hold the car still for 1.5 seconds.
The sports kit is the best $2k you can spend.

sillygogo
31-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Shall increase the tyres pressure a few PSI next at the petrol station.

I guess flashing in the meantime, maybe VW will update the software to have it turn on without the flashing in the future.

True true, i think the sports pack is worth it money, however at the time of purchase thats all me funds. The delivery was promised in 2 weeks but took 1 month. If I've known that it took and extra 2 weeks then I would able to save up and get the pack. Nevermind, the car feels great on mountain roads but bouncy on the highway.

Ozram
31-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Finally after 17 weeks we took delivery of the Golf 118 TSI last Saturday. What a great car to drive. Very quiet and refined and for a 1.4L I'm well impressed with the power.

Spent a couple of days doing brake calipers and swapping wheels and my own paint protection. Here's a few pics.

Original wheels...
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4612-1.jpg

New wheels...
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4618-1.jpg
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4621-1.jpg
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4628-1.jpg
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4622-1.jpg
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4636-1.jpg

Inside....
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss36/Ozram57/Car/IMG_4632-1.jpg

I LOVE IT!!!

team_v
31-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Those refurbed and black-backed GTI Wheels look awesome on the black VI

Great work!

Yevvy
31-08-2009, 09:40 PM
That looks sweeeeeet!!! Wanna swap? :D

Driven Threads
31-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Very clean and classy. The Mk 6's look great in black! Nice wheels too! Congratulations on your purchase.

Spook
01-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Looks great! Just as well I saw it here first and not on the road or I would have thought I was going nuts seeing a Mk6 GTI.

JasonP
01-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Great looking car, but I prefer the Sports Pack wheels.
One of the resons I wefr a 118TI over waiting for a Mark VI GTI.

Black colour is awesome.

Mine has the Corn Silk Beige Leather, with DSG, RNS510, & Sports Pack.

Didn't get the Adaptive Suspension, I see.
Love some feedback on the Sports Pack without the 3 way damper adjustment.

Mine has it, & it's a load of fun.

Enjoy the car.

sillygogo
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Nice, very nice..Black looks great with the GTi wheels

tofo17
01-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Very nice Ozram. Mine should arrive in about a month. It is coming with the stock 16" Clevelands. Can I ask what you plan to do with 17" Seattle wheels, are they for sale?

Cheers,
tofo

Ozram
01-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Very nice Ozram. Mine should arrive in about a month. It is coming with the stock 16" Clevelands. Can I ask what you plan to do with 17" Seattle wheels, are they for sale?

Cheers,
tofo

Hi Tofo,

I have the Continental tyres that came with the GTI rims and am planning on putting those onto the standard Seattle wheels and selling them shortly. Are you interested in them?

tofo17
01-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, I would be interested.
RE: the Continentals, are they Sport Contact 2 and are they new?
What price were you thinking?

Cheers,
tofo

Hi Tofo,

I have the Continental tyres that came with the GTI rims and am planning on putting those onto the standard Seattle wheels and selling them shortly. Are you interested in them?

dubbed
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Looks great! I love the MkVI. They really nailed this one progressing from the previous model.

Greg Roles
01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah it's nice, especially inside, looks like the "next step". It's definately growing on me, but still happy in the "old" Mk V!

Rufus
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice wheels Ozram!

Did you also put on the recommended suspension travel limiters with your 18's? It's like a $40 part i believe but 'necessary' according to VW when upgrading to 18's. Let me know as im thinking of not bothering with them.

Thanks!

fuzion
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
jealous! looks wicked.. cant wait for the new GTI's!

wheels are too small imo! 18s ftw for a mk5/mk6 at least!

Ozram
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Nice wheels Ozram!

Did you also put on the recommended suspension travel limiters with your 18's? It's like a $40 part i believe but 'necessary' according to VW when upgrading to 18's. Let me know as im thinking of not bothering with them.

Thanks!

They are 17" mate.

Fuzion,
I'd probably agree about the 18's but its my wife's daily travel and anyway at 48 years old I think I'm a bit past the hooning and modding stage;-)

jayjay
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/07092009582-3.jpg

picked it up this afternoon. It parks itself... :o

vwthunder
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I cant see anything

vwthunder
07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh Now I see it, you pic is nearly 2.5 meg :brutal:

Sorry me have slow internet connection

team_v
07-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Any specs for us?

jayjay
07-09-2009, 09:20 PM
haha.. it's pretty regular...

1.4 tsi. dsg ( :duh: ) 118kw with the umm... "comfortline package". No other options other than Park assist.. I have an asian mother, and with no offence to asian women, she couldn't parallel park a push bike.

It feels great though. Quick and quite surreal. It's incredibly quiet.

Golf Loon
07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Nice work.

I guess you wont be allowed to drive it though huh?

jayjay
07-09-2009, 09:27 PM
yeah not for another 4 months.

sooo....

One of the tyres looks a little flat! :( can i pump up my own tyres or will it void my warranty?

Yevvy
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
yeah not for another 4 months.

sooo....

One of the tyres looks a little flat! :( can i pump up my own tyres or will it void my warranty?

finally :) now get off those p's already.

tinto
07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Looks good - bet mum is happy.
What is the rrp on the comfortline range?
I have a friend chasing a new car and I'd like to steer him toward a mk6...
Looks like Vw dropped the pricelist from their site... And I'm not motivated enough to call a dealer ;)

maca
07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
haha.. it's pretty regular...

1.4 tsi. dsg ( :duh: ) 118kw with the umm... "comfortline package". No other options other than Park assist.. I have an asian mother, and with no offence to asian women, she couldn't parallel park a push bike.

It feels great though. Quick and quite surreal. It's incredibly quiet.
HAAHAHAHA You said it first!!

Very nice.. I'm still waiting for a VW loaner to have Park Assist on it..

(And whether I'd have the balls to try it..)

jayjay
08-09-2009, 12:19 AM
the park assist is really surreal. just the steering wheel spinning on its own accord is whack.

i think on the road it cost about 34... 35? i'm not too sure. some where along the lines of mid 34 would be a good approximation.

they didn't have any no-other-option comfortlines with park assist. All the ones with it, had sunroofs, sat-nav etc. My mom isn't about to get lost going to the shops. So we ordered it in like late june i think?

about 10 weeks, order to delivery..

maca
08-09-2009, 12:39 AM
the park assist is really surreal. just the steering wheel spinning on its own accord is whack.

i think on the road it cost about 34... 35? i'm not too sure. some where along the lines of mid 34 would be a good approximation.

they didn't have any no-other-option comfortlines with park assist. All the ones with it, had sunroofs, sat-nav etc. My mom isn't about to get lost going to the shops. So we ordered it in like late june i think?

about 10 weeks, order to delivery..
That sounds like a really good price.. Only 3k more than I paid for my Jetta :duh:

PassatB6
08-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Nice car! How about adding the info to Chyld's spreadsheet (if you haven't already)?.

sillygogo
09-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Increased 2PSi it helps little. Did the some shopping with the misses today. Filled the boot with washing powders, water bottles etc. And the cars feels great. I think the extra weight causes the shorten of the springs, thus have a better ride.

Hmm, I think i will gain 10-20kg to keep it this way..or get some lowering springs.

Wish list:
Lowering Springs
APR

sgiles
13-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, I'm in the market for a Mk 6 Golf GTI (when they're released) and would like to know people's experiences with car brokers. Would you recommend it? Or would it just be easier hassling the salesperson myself? Share you thoughts...

tinto
13-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't imagine there will be much wiggle room on that model for quite some time following release (especially if you want a unique spec).
But if there is, a car broker should find it.
I'll be using one for my next car purchase.

sillygogo
13-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Agreed..most of the first shipment of the GTIs would be for preorder, petty much like the GTI V.

Been to a VW dealer today, they are saying arriving either end of this month or by Nov.

Maybe wait a few months for the next batch if you are looking for a better deal.

In the mean time the GTI V are having running out sale, might pickup a bargain there.

Flighter
13-10-2009, 09:45 PM
I tried to use one on a couple of occasions, but my experience both times was that although their web site promised much, they utterly failed to deliver. Apart from not answering enquiries adequately and not returning calls, I'm certain that they were feeling me out on how much I was prepared to pay before finally getting me a price. That may be good for business, but it's no different to a regular dealer, and not in line with how their promoted their business model. As such I won't consider using them next time.

Stoney!
17-10-2009, 04:58 AM
After arounda 4 month wait I finally received my United grey 118tsi yesterday.
Options include:-

Sports pack with leather
Sunroof
MDI
Reversing camera
RNS510

Now, as much as I totally adore driving this car and looking at it, it's got quite a number of faults, such as:-

*Rear offside window won't go up and down via key fob, or auto up/down - only first notch on window switch.

* passengers Vanity mirror light is stuck on, also seems to be getting very hot and don't want it to melt the mirror cover.

*MFD speed is 3 or 4 k's under speedo speed, so cruise control takes the speedo to say, 84 when set to 80...

*RNS510 switched off 5 times on a trip to Newcastle and back, Whilst playing a CD and NAV running. Would switch off for like 20 seconds then take around 30 too boot back in with the 'welcome to vw' on the screen and then nav would freeze up so had to be restarted. Twice it did it with nav off also, only CD playing.

so whilst I'm totally ecstatic about getting the car, things like this seem to take the fun away from it :(. Really hope I don't get stuffed around with these problems......

Stoney!

cme2c
17-10-2009, 05:42 AM
It's awful when your new car has problems. I sympathise. My 118TSI has RNS510 and camera but no MDI and hasn't missed a beat. The speedo on Mark VIs is out by about 6km/hr, that is, 100 km/h true indicates as 106 on the speedo. There are a few threads about this. Hope you get it sorted quickly i e today.

dopey
17-10-2009, 05:46 AM
*MFD speed is 3 or 4 k's under speedo speed, so cruise control takes the speedo to say, 84 when set to 80...

Ours is the same, most cars are like this. The speedo dial is calibrated to read a tiny bit higher than the actual speed you're travelling at, usually around 3km/h difference in most cars I've come across. The MFD shows the ACTUAL speed reading from the ECU so this is a more precise reading.

It's the same story for my Nissan Silvia which has an aftermarket ECU. My speedo dial will indicate 100km/h but the readout from the ECU will show lower.

Nothing to worry about just something to keep in mind for speed cameras!

logger
17-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi Stoney - Congrats on the new car...

*Rear offside window won't go up and down via key fob, or auto up/down - only first notch on window switch.

Have you tried "relearning" the window as described in the manual.
Without the book in front of me - I think you just need to wind the window down and then hold the down button down for a further 5 sec so it learns the end position. Then it should come good. This is the procedure you would do after the battery has been allowed to go flat.

I have not noticed any obvious difference between my MFD Digital readout and Speedo needle. The 6%~7% intentional over read error is there though. This can be corrected to some degree by changing the "distance Impulse number" in the intrument panel coding with a tool such as Vag-Com. I have not done this though as I read that in doing so an error in the Odomoter is created. You should find the cruise control targets and holds the MFD speed very well.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly so you can enjoy your new toy.

thamwk
17-10-2009, 07:38 AM
* passengers Vanity mirror light is stuck on, also seems to be getting very hot and don't want it to melt the mirror cover.

the passenger vanity mirror light and even the driver mirror light will turn on when the mirror slider is opened, revealing the mirror. If the slide is closed, the lights will not come on. if you close this slide and the light is still on, then you have an issue and need it to be looked at immediately.

as for the speedo and actual speed discrepancy, i do honestly believe that every single car on this planet has this :) which is why when you read magazines like Wheels, they actually measure what the actual speed of the car is, as opposed to what the speedo says. not sure if it is intentional of the manufacturers, but I would like to believe that there are a lot of variables when it comes to measuring speed on the wheel which ranges from the size of the tyre, to how much pressure is in it. don't let that one spoil your experience because even if you go buy another car, say a BMW, you would still have that same "issue".

Corey_R
17-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah - everyone is aware of the discrepency in the speed from what the speedo says and what you're actually doing. It's just a surprise (even to me) that VW have decided to show the 'real' speed on the MFD and that the cruise control is then set to it, showing an error on the speedo.
Having said that - I personally like the fact that you CAN see the accurate speed on the MFD, so if that is the official explanation for what is going on here, I'd be ok with that. Hopefully Stoney is ok with that too! :)

logger
17-10-2009, 09:34 AM
. It's just a surprise (even to me) that VW have decided to show the 'real' speed on the MFD and that the cruise control is then set to it, showing an error on the speedo.
I do not think this is intentional. I would expect both the Instrument cluster Digital and Analog speedo's presentations are supposed to match. Mine do as far as I can tell. If Stoneys also matched he might never have noticed his speedo is over reading.

BTW I mentioned in my previous post that correcting the error may effect the ODO accuracy. I was wrong. The correction apparently does not effect the ODO.

This is from Mavs site (http://www.my-gti.com/140/volkswagen-speedometer-error-correction)
"If you receive a customer complaint that the speedometer displays a vehicle speed that is slightly faster than the actual speed, this is normal. The speedometer is operating per manufacturer specifications. Volkswagen does not manufacture vehicles where speedometers read slower than actual speed. To allow for possible differences in overall tire diameter with different tire manufacturers and wheel sizes, a factor is designed into the speedometer function that increases the displayed speed. This factor does not affect odometer readings, which show actual distance traveled. Do NOT replace ANY parts for this condition.”

Corey_R
17-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah - although that explanation is bogus (because obviously the ODO will be inaccurate too if the tire circumference changes) it is an accepted thing that all manufacturers do.

logger
17-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes I agree - I have reservations about that explanation too. Just because it was penned by VW does not make it correct. It is cleverly worded though and if you read it carefully you will notice is does not say "Different tire and wheel sizes will not affect odometer readings" is says "..the factor does not affect odometer readings".

But we digress - Lets hope Stoney gets sorted ASAP.

Stoney!
17-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah the mirror slider is shut, that's why i said I didn't wan't it to melt the mirror cover. cause in the closed positions it get very hot so hot to the plactis mirror cover, but gets annoying at night driving with it sitting there.

I disagree totally about the speedo and MFD. MFD Should match exactly what you speedo says. If you set cruise control to 100, it should sit exactly on 100 on the speedo. My friends 103 TDi does, So I don't see why mine shouldn't.

I am fully aware of speedo's being set approx 6 - 8 k's above actual speed and why they do this, and the MFD is also supposed to be set in this manner, matching the analogue speedo, not conflicting with it. After all, there is a reason why that 6 - 8 k's is there in the first place....... not to be over ridden by the MFD

It's the RNS 510 I'm most worried about though, it shouldn't be shutting down like that, and being an intermittent thing I'm worried it may be hard to resolve.

PassatB6
17-10-2009, 04:10 PM

Stoney!

This is deliberate and on many different cars not just VW. Can't tell you how many times I have been glad of it after not seeing a speed camera!

gregozedobe
17-10-2009, 11:30 PM
It's the RNS 510 I'm most worried about though, it shouldn't be shutting down like that, and being an intermittent thing I'm worried it may be hard to resolve.

IIRC there was mention recently somewhere on this forum of a "dead spot" on the F3 between Sydney and Newcastle - that might be what has thrown your RNS510.

Stoney!
18-10-2009, 02:21 AM
IIRC there was mention recently somewhere on this forum of a "dead spot" on the F3 between Sydney and Newcastle - that might be what has thrown your RNS510.

Very interesting thanks for that, makes a little sense actually cause when it did come back on it plotted me somewhere out in the ocean lol.... thought it was part of the fault

As far as the MFD FAULT goes, I don't like it, cause when I set cruise to 100 on MFD, the speedo dial sits on 103, so thats hardly saving me from speed cameras i don't see...

But beyond the faults, I adore this vehicle, its started to open up now with 700k's on the clock. Performance is awesome, I also noted they perform much better (even just in gear acceleration) with the TCS switched off, turbo and supercharger are a lot louder also.

Handling is fantastic, on the trip to Newecastle i recorded 6.3/100k's with only 100 odd k's on the clock which i thought was great for such a tight engine, I'm averaging around the 7 - 7.5 mark back in Sydney, which im extremely happy with.... I filled up the tank with 1/4 left in it tonight with 650 k's on the trip meter from full. So prob could have got around 800 out of it.

Stoney!

cme2c
18-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I checked out the mirror lights in my 118TSI. They turn off if you flip the visor up, even if the mirror is uncovered so if yours are staying on someting odd is happening. Wonder how hard it it to take the bulbs out?

Not that you should have to do anything.

coastie
18-10-2009, 09:51 AM
My speedo needle? sits slightly above the MFD speed, I thought it was the divergence as the dial is slightly to the right and I'm just looking through the angle. Its about 2-3k's past 100 when cruise control is on 100.

The vanity light is a worry, does it shut off with the ignition off?

My RNS510 also had some issues early on with booting up and rebooting randomly. I did the firmware update and its seems solid now. I had an issue with the RVC coming on then going blank which I put down to the slow boot up of the HD.

Good luck with the dealer, this is where VW needs to follow through with great after sales service and problem solving.

Stoney!
19-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Thankfully, yes the light goes off once the car is locked. I made sure to check that, worrying it would flatten the battery.

I have however found TWO MORE PROBLEMS with this car now... the bonnet is a few mill's higer than the guard on the passengers side, and the reset button, normally found next to the ESP button, for the Tyre pressure monitoring system isn't actually there??? I mean what the hell.... this is looking worse and worse, I'm starting to become rather disatsfied with the over all QA of this vehicle.... A car I've been wanting to buy for many years, it's a let down you know.

My RNS510 also won't play any DVD's I put in, sayion the DVD has the wrong region code, Also spits out SD cards saying it has an error. Becoming a little over it.

Stoney!

Ozram
19-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Sorry to hear about this Stoney. Reset button for tyre monitoring is in the glovebox in the upper r/h corner.

Hope it improves

logger
19-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Reset button for tyre monitoring is in the glovebox in the upper r/h corner. Yeah it sounds like poor old Stoney is getting a rough trot here. I take it you were able to fix the rear window problem though by resetting it.
Ozram, has the reset button been moved in the latest shipment as I too thought the Mk6 should have it in the console? Reason I ask is I am vaguely interested in retrofitting it to my non sports pack car.

Ozram
19-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Het Logger,

Dunno when it changed but mine was built in June and has the button in the glovebox. It works too - when I changed my wheels in the first few days I was driving back from the tyre shop and the light came on. A stop and quick inspection deemed nothing wrong and then after pressing the button so the system could re-learn, the light went out and has not been on since.

Also, not sure if a retrofit is possible. I think it uses the wheel sensors for the ABS though.

pologti18t
19-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Thankfully, yes the light goes off once the car is locked. I made sure to check that, worrying it would flatten the battery.

My RNS510 also won't play any DVD's I put in, sayion the DVD has the wrong region code, Also spits out SD cards saying it has an error. Becoming a little over it.

Stoney!

So, basically you have three problems?

Speedo vs MFD
Issues with stereo
Vanity mirror lights.

logger
19-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Het Logger,

Dunno when it changed but mine was built in June and has the button in the glovebox. It works too - when I changed my wheels in the first few days I was driving back from the tyre shop and the light came on. A stop and quick inspection deemed nothing wrong and then after pressing the button so the system could re-learn, the light went out and has not been on since.

Also, not sure if a retrofit is possible. I think it uses the wheel sensors for the ABS though.

Thnx for pointing this out. Might be something to do with build run. BTW, There is a retrofit kit for the MK5 but not the MK6. It comprises the missing wiring harness and the OEM button. But I also spoke with developers of this kit in Germany and they said that due the MK6 ABS controller differences there would not be a suitable harness available any time soon. This is further exacerbated the coding for the New ABS controller not being widely available yet.

Stoney!
19-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Vanity mirror light
Bonnet fit and finish
DVD set to wrong region code
RNS 510 Switched off a few times yet to do it again.
Rear, offside window stopped working - yet to do it again (didn't touch anything to do with that-just started working)
TPS switch not in console and nothing in manual telling me its in the glove box, but will take a look in there now.

More than enough to be pissed off, on top of that I asked for the MDI to be dealer fitted in the glove box so it didn't chew up my Centre console, but they factory fitted it anyway, and they put the wrong sill plates on. Bill Buckle were great in the beginning, But i'll wait to see how they go with after sales service.

Stoney!

KWICKS
19-10-2009, 01:14 PM
If its any consulation Stoney! Buckles just honoured a warranty repair on my Subaru 18 months out of warranty... mostly becasue it was their responsibility, but they could have been pr1cks and not done it.

Sure your car wasn't wired up in Italy? There's a large number of electrical gremlins in your list.

Maverick
19-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Het Logger,

A retrofit is possible.

logger
19-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Vanity mirror light
Bonnet fit and finish
Rear, offside window stopped working - yet to do it again (didn't touch anything to do with that-just started working)
TPS switch not in console and nothing in manual telling me its in the glove box, but will take a look in there now.

More than enough to be pissed off, on top of that I asked for the MDI to be dealer fitted in the glove box so it didn't chew up my Centre console, but they factory fitted it anyway, and they put the wrong sill plates on. Bill Buckle were great in the beginning, But i'll wait to see how they go with after sales service.

Stoney!

That really does suck. I had one extremely minor post delivery door trim issue that I could have fixed my self anyway. You have been unlucky having so many. Lets hope the dealer get you sorted ASAP.

TuNeS
19-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Vanity mirror light
Bonnet fit and finish

Stoney!

Thats really unfortunate. I heard that VW is looking at manufacturing cars in Indonesia now to service all of Australasia. I know all the Golf's come from South Africa (unless you have a GTI) and the Jetta's come from Mexico. Its a pity QC is slipping, as the Golf is such a well engineered car at heart.

thamwk
19-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats really unfortunate. I heard that VW is looking at manufacturing cars in Indonesia now to service all of Australasia. I know all the Golf's come from South Africa (unless you have a GTI) and the Jetta's come from Mexico. Its a pity QC is slipping, as the Golf is such a well engineered car at heart.

my VW Golf MK6's vin says that the car was manufactured in Wolfsburg... does this mean that the vin is lying?

TuNeS
19-10-2009, 07:27 PM
my VW Golf MK6's vin says that the car was manufactured in Wolfsburg... does this mean that the vin is lying?

..........Well maybe not all.

thamwk
19-10-2009, 07:28 PM
maybe this site is not up to date, but it doesn't say anything about South Africa: http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emcc/automotivemap/volkswagen.htm

edit: my bad, that only lists plants in europe

logger
19-10-2009, 07:34 PM
My VINs fibbing too.
Golf production factory Wolfsburg - driving the car off the assembly line (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koLWv0LPVbU&feature=related)

Maverick
19-10-2009, 07:37 PM

All the Golfs come from Wolfsburg now, every single mark VI comes from that factory.

Mark V GTI's were made in Wolfsburg except the last 3 years of 5 door production was in SA. All the other Golfs came out of SA.

TuNeS
19-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I didnt mean to offend anybody. Was merely repeating what I was told. I just dug this up.

Built in South Africa and Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk5

Built in China and Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk6

cme2c
19-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi, Stoney,
My RNS510 refused to play 1 dvd, but played others. Also, I did Sydney -Port Stevens and the nav was fine. Mine doesn't have the sports pack (built for comfort...) but I scared my wife and neice going through Galston Gorge. :cool:Similar fuel consumption. Amazing. Also after I filled it up (45l for 676 km) I found the traction control works.....

Good luck and commiserations. Hope your dealer and VWA do right by you.

Maverick
21-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I didnt mean to offend anybody. Was merely repeating what I was told. I just dug this up.

Built in South Africa and Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk5

Built in China and Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk6

The Chinese production is only for domestic usage.

1.6 MT = AUD $18870
1.4 TSI AT Highline = AUD $27100

The Mark 6 was launched in China on the 19th of October 2009.

windmagnet
03-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Have searched on the running in topic and found three general schools of thought:

Engine does not need any further run in, forget about it.

Thrashing it will give you a more powerful engine; and

Vary revs but generally avoid running the engine at high revs. Step up maximum revs over time until you have done about 10,000 kms.

I am in the third camp and hope I can resist the temptation to hammer the car from day one.

I am planning to take an interstate trip in the car only a week or so after I take delivery. I would be interested in any thoughts about whether this is a good or bad thing to do so early in a conservative run-in. This will mean extended uninterrupted running time but I can vary revs a bit through 5th vs 6th. Also a bit worried about whether this could be a bit risky so soon after receiving the car (I will be along way from any VW dealership if a major fault occurs at the wrong time).

Thanks for any comments.