PDA

View Full Version : After market Bi-Zenons!

tk-r32
26-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Guy's has anyone bought any bi-zenon kits from the US. I am looking to install them on my Touareg. I have them on the R32 and regret I did not wait an order a Touareg with them?:

gregozedobe
27-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Guy's has anyone bought any bi-zenon kits from the US. I am looking to install them on my Touareg. I have them on the R32 and regret I did not wait an order a Touareg with them?:

Before everyone starts with the "aftermarket HIDs" wars again I'll sum up the some of the many previous discussions (do a search and you'll find heaps of arguments) :

Putting HIDs into Lo beam reflectors that weren't designed for them can create dazzle issues for other drivers due to the different shape and orientation of the light source (arc vs filament) resulting in a lot of stray light above the cut-off line. Many people get quite emotional about this issue (and that's being polite :eek: ).

Most of the cheaper HID conversions for Lo beam are illegal (you need headlight units that were designed for HIDs plus headlight washers plus auto-beam levelling), and there may also be insurance ramifications.

In the ACT the registration authorities aren't worried about Hi beam conversions if you have separate reflectors for Hi beam (in their view thay are much the same as driving lights), but will not approve anything less than OEM or OEM equivalent Lo beam conversions (with washers, auto levelling etc).

Some HID conversion kits are very cheap and nasty, others are good quality.

HIDs do usually put out a lot more light than halogens, and some people are absolutely certain they are not causing dazzle to other drivers. Projector type lenses seem to be better for light control than straight reflector type headlights.

OEM HID conversions (ie headlights that are designed for HIDs) are available for some vehicles, but are usually very expensive if purchased from the car's manufacturer.

If you are buying from the US be very careful you are getting RHD drive light units, as the US is a LHD market. The difference is the Lo beam passenger side kick-up will be on the right side on lights designed for LHD (this will dazzle oncoming drivers instead of illuminating kangaroos on the left side of the road).

Another option to get better illumination is to put in thicker wiring with a relay direct from the battery (the std wiring is often a bit thin leading to voltage drop by the time the power gets to the globes). Many people fit better globes which are also available. My personal favourites are Osram rallye 65W for H7 globes, and Philips X-treme for H4 and H1. Higher wattage globes are around, but can cause overheating problems and aren't suitable for std wiring.

There, have I given a reasonably balanced summary ?

IBN
27-07-2009, 04:29 PM
An excellent response! :) All bases covered.
No matter what, any aftermarket xenon conversions are illegal. The only option is to go to an uprated globe. As noted, higher wattages require upgraded wiring and will probably cause havoc with globe out warnings on the the dash and the whiz bang standard wattage globes have a limited life span. I use an H11 base Osram Night Breaker on my bike and because the light is always on, I get about 6 months life out of a globe. Ah well:-(
Gone are the days when you could plug any wattage globe into your Beetle or Mk1 Golf headlight after fiddling with extra relays and wire.
Regards,
Ivars
PS Anyone have any good ideas on how to mount a set of Super Oscars on the front of an Octavia Scout? I do miss those lights. I had bi-xenons on my old A3 Sportback and they didn't hold a candle (pardon the pun) to Oscars when country driving

gldgti
27-07-2009, 06:07 PM
im moving this thread to another section guys, really not diesel related :-)

gregozedobe
27-07-2009, 06:27 PM
As noted, higher wattages require upgraded wiring and will probably cause havoc with globe out warnings on the the dash

Not an issue with my transporter, plain old relay for Lo beam, straight in, no msgs. IIRC you can fool these things with a resistor to provide the load the controller is expecting.

and the whiz bang standard wattage globes have a limited life span.

From my research the Philips X-treme globes seem to last the best of the +80 and +90 ones, but the Osram H7 Rallye 65W has a normal life as the filament isn't overdriven like the others (it is actually a H9 burner fitted to a H7 base).

PS Anyone have any good ideas on how to mount a set of Super Oscars on the front of an Octavia Scout? I do miss those lights. I had bi-xenons on my old A3 Sportback and they didn't hold a candle (pardon the pun) to Oscars when country driving

Have a look at a custom made nudge bar or light bar ?

Another possibility is to put a H1 HID conversion into the separate Hi beam reflectors of your Octy (a fairly common mod on the Briskoda forum). No issues with dazzling other drivers as you should be dipping to Lo beam whenever any other driver is in front of you. I'm pleased with the results on Hi beam of my Transporter.

I used to be a great fan of Super Oscars, then I bought a pair of Cibie Oscar SCs (one cornering and one driving). While they didn't have the long range penetration of the pencil beam Super Oscar, the much better spread more than made up for it. If you get the right kit I'm told you can even fit 55W HIDs to the Oscar SCs, they would really "light up your life" :eek: The downside of HID driving lights is the 10-15 second wait while they get up to full brightness.

IBN
27-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I've upgraded the globes in the headlights with noticeable improvement. The Super Oscars are unused at the moment. One is a long range beam and the other is a driving light so if I can figure out a mount which doesn't involve drilling holes in the car all should be good. Some electronics to fire a relay and away we go. If you want xenons, some of the auxilliary lights from Hella,
http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaAU/WebSite/Channels/Drivers/Auxiliary_Driving_Lamps/Predator_Series/Predator_Series.jsp
would do the trick :eek:

nath2964
01-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Could anyone give me the correct Reference under the Roads & Traffic Act for the requirements of Xenon lights. i.e. autolevelling & washers, kelvin number etc. I'm in QLD. CHeers Nat

Manaz
01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Could anyone give me the correct Reference under the Roads & Traffic Act for the requirements of Xenon lights. i.e. autolevelling & washers, kelvin number etc. I'm in QLD. CHeers Nat

The requirements come from the Australian Design Rules, and thus are the same for all states.

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/AD0ABC1330FAE9BFCA2575FC0030BA3B/$file/ADR1300Am3Compilation.pdf)

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps. Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering. Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provision of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non- continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop positon at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.
These manually adjustable devices must be operable from the driver's seat.
Continually adjustable devices must have reference makes indicating the loading conditions that require adjustment of the dipped-beam.
The number of positions on devices which are not continuously adjustable must be such as to ensure compliance with the range of values prescribed in paragraph 6.2.6.1.2. in all the loading conditions defined in Annex 5.
For these devices also, the loading conditions of Annex 5 that require adjustment of the dipped-beam shall be clearly marked near the control of the device.

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.