PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control

varsur
24-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

One thing I noticed with my Diesel Tig is that when I enable cruise control and the car comes to down hill the speed is not maintained and it goes over the speed. Has anyone else noticed this.

Thanks.

TigWhite
24-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Varsur, We have had our Tig for just over a month and I have noticed the same thing. Have not consulted dealer yet.

Arctra
24-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, mine's the same. The Cruise control basically seems to control the accelerator on, so on a downhill where the engines compression braking isn't sufficient to retard the vehicle, it will go over the speed set. Was the same in my Petrol Bora to be honest.

DieselTig
24-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Varsur, We have had our Tig for just over a month and I have noticed the same thing. Have not consulted dealer yet.

I believe this is normal for all cruise control systems. I think there is an "adaptive" one in the other models of VW.

Maverick
24-07-2009, 03:57 PM
That's normal operation for most cars with cruise control. Drop back a gear or two. "Problem" solved. You could also RTFM as this is covered in there under "cruise control" :idea:

Arctra
24-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I believe this is normal for all cruise control systems. I think there is an "adaptive" one in the other models of VW.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) that is available on the Passat and new Toureg won't solve this problem either. The ACC has a radar behind the badge on the grill that detects if you are within a set distance (or number of seconds) of an object in front of you (presumably another vehicle) and adjusts the speed of the cruise control to maintain that distance.

clip
24-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Mine is very precise and holds it extremely well, as good or better than anything I've ever had and holds the the speed up hill and down. Only thing I noticed is it accelerates a little when first setting the speed, then settles to where I set it. All other vehicles I've had do the reverse - the car slows a tad and then speeds up to the set limit.

Sanman
24-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Its easy to set the Cruise, but it takes quite some getting used to to find and flip that little switch sideways to turn it off.
You can tell by its "poor orphan cousin" location that cruise is pretty much an afterthought for the German market.

Umai Naa!!
24-07-2009, 08:30 PM
The VW system is one of the better ones out there.

You could do worse, ie automatic current model Suzuki Swift.

Sharkie
25-07-2009, 05:57 AM
Cruise control buttons .... ??? they work just fine setting the APR maps thankyou .... :biggrin:

Seriously though, I've always found the cruise control on a VW to be quite good, better than that of a Toyota for instance. If you want adaptive cruise with slow down etc funcions, spend $50K more and buy a BMW, M-Benz or Audi.

Again it comes down to ... "you get what you pay for"

Moonan
25-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Don't confuse adaptive cruise with what the original poster was asking...
As stated, adaptive cruise has some form of radar traffic sensor and drives to speed of car in front. Available on some upmarket models for many $$$$.
To original question about overspeeding going down hill, standard cruise only operates accelerator on any car including Tiguan, Golf, Touareg, etc. RTM for correct operation. I have found that for an auto, use the tip to drop back a gear or two for eg Moonie Moonie creek bridges on the F3 north out of Sydney.
Having said that the new Audi Q5 surprised me the other day by gently applying the brakes going down a hill and holding my cruise to within +1km of setpoint :)
cheers

varsur
27-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone,

Just posted this because the previous Honda CRV I owned used to shift to the lower gear when going down hill so I thought it would be the same with Tig.

Thanks anyway for the comments.

Sharkie
27-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Don't confuse adaptive cruise with what the original poster was asking...

My point was that more expensive cars, such as the Q5 for instance applies braking to keep the speed at the set limit. This is indeed different from full adaptive cruise control. Toyota's do not apply braking as an example. I have not tested the Tigs yet ...... but considering the price I'd be surprised if it does.

FYI as well, a manual car (both my previous GTI and our current RAV4) disengages cruise if you change gears while it is active ....... (without touching the brakes)

NZTiguan
27-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks everyone,

Just posted this because the previous Honda CRV I owned used to shift to the lower gear when going down hill so I thought it would be the same with Tig.

Thanks anyway for the comments.

That surprises me cos the one I tested (before I decided it was rubbish and got myself a Tig !!) didn't and no vehicle I've owned ever did (change down to control speed in cruise) though I understand some of the more expensive mercedes etc do. I have found that the Tig is the best I've ever owned for holding speed downhill because it utilises the engine braking better than other autos I've driven (they all tended to shift into neutral and just "run away"). If I want it to hold even better I just slip it into tiptronic and drop it a gear, it still says in cruise if you do this just as long as you don't touch the brakes

sama13
28-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a Megane RS and it does exactly the same when going downhill it accelerates a bit, so I would say is normal.

Sharkie
06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
FYI as well, a manual car (both my previous GTI and our current RAV4) disengages cruise if you change gears while it is active ....... (without touching the brakes)

I can now confirm that in a manual Tiguan, cruise control will desengage if you change gears without touching the brakes. Tested last weekend :)

Maverick
06-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I can now confirm that in a manual Tiguan, cruise control will desengage if you change gears without touching the brakes. Tested last weekend :)

All manual cars disengage cruise control if you touch the clutch pedal for obvious reasons.

NZTiguan
06-08-2009, 10:54 AM
All manual cars disengage cruise control if you touch the clutch pedal for obvious reasons.

That's where the tiptronic Tig has an advantage cos you can change down (to get engine braking) without disengaging the cruise.