PDA

View Full Version : Help with 147TSI Engine

brh1978
21-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I am mechanically retarded and know nothing about engines, I did own a Golf 4 since new (2.0L petrol) pre Tig. The Mk4 had a quiet and smooth engine...never any complaints from me.

My 147TSI is no quiet beast, I find the engine harsh when accelerating around town. Apart from the HUGE amount of power (which i love) it seems a step backwards, here's the strange thing:

If I accelerate gently the engine is fairly quiet in 1st gear, in second it starts quiet but then there is an annoying rattling kind of sound. I think it is the turbo kicking in, 3rd gear the noise continues (at about 35km/hr by now), forth gear and about 50/60km/hr the rattle noise stops and the engine sounds smooth again, cruising at 60km/hr in 5th it sounds good.

If I pump it and accelerate hard through the gears it sounds pretty smooth, although that rattly sound comes and goes at various times, on the highway it sounds smooth and quiet.

The way the noise comes and goes its sounds like the turbo starting and stopping, I guess i hear it at low speeds as there is less road noise, prob don't notice it a higher speeds.

Do turbos make that kind of noise, should you hear them start up, this is my 1st turbo and i've never been in another turbo before?

Maybe I'm just being picky, but i want to be sure this is normal.

Umai Naa!!
21-07-2009, 08:41 PM
The turbo can be a little noisey (a light metallic sound), but it's not usually anything to be concerned about.

clip
21-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't know about pre-detonation and anti knock stuff etc in these engines, but that sounds like it's pinging it's head off to me. You are using 98RON fuel aren't you? Mine definitely doesn't make any of those noises. It does get a tad harsh when the revs get up (+4500), but other than that it's very quiet at lower revs and definitely no rattling noises.

Umai Naa!!
21-07-2009, 10:36 PM
^^ Good point.

Maybe a fresh tank of decent 98RON through might sort it out.

brh1978
22-07-2009, 08:32 AM
^^ Good point.

Maybe a fresh tank of decent 98RON through might sort it out.

I have only ever used 98Ron Shell or Mobil fuel.

Ok, if your engines are quiet i guess I'll take it up with the dealer when i get a chance...my dad thought i bought a diesel!

Paragon
22-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Turbos make an whine type noise when spooling. I think you may be shifting up too early, ie in 3rd at 35km or in 5th at only 60km which is putting alot of load on the engine = detonation = pinging

vww
22-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Sounds like your Tig is sick!
I use 98 RON in my 147 and don't have noises like that.......

Dilusi
22-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Ok, if your engines are quiet i guess I'll take it up with the dealer when i get a chance...my dad thought i bought a diesel!

Sorry to hear about your noise. Most of my driving is in the city and so far all is smooth. I just drove mine (147TSI and 2000ks) specifically to try to hear noise as you described and all was quiet (or I am industrially deaf). It certainly doesn't sound like the diesel Jetta I was driving before the Tiguan.

Can you produce the noise at a particular rev band when parked?
Good idea to take it in.

brad
22-07-2009, 02:50 PM
With the knock sensors, timing & fuel control of these engines, I doubt you would hear any pinking before the ECU caught it & retarded the timing/richened the mixture, etc.

I've had a couple of loads of poor fuel in the Octy & while the performance drops of significantly, you can't hear any pinking.

If the performance of the car is OK then I'd be thinking there's a loose or badly positioned heatshield, cover, hose, bracket that is resonating & making the noise.

Either way, it isn't normal & is a dealer problem.

Umai Naa!!
22-07-2009, 05:43 PM
The other thing I didn't think of initially was the increased resonance from the plastic intake manifold.

mickofoz
22-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I recently bought the 125TSI version because I thought the 147 sounded like a diesel. Obviously I'm not the only one that thinks the 147 is loud. The dealer said it is because of the Supercharger. The noise gets better when the turbo takes over.

VW Convert
22-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I recently bought the 125TSI version because I thought the 147 sounded like a diesel. Obviously I'm not the only one that thinks the 147 is loud. The dealer said it is because of the Supercharger. The noise gets better when the turbo takes over.

Supercharger? Maybe we should start a "classic dealer quotes" thread! j:

Cheers

George

clip
22-07-2009, 08:18 PM
:duh: why didn't I think of that. Those bloody superchargers in the 147's do make a shocking noise!

brad
22-07-2009, 09:13 PM

WTF?
10char

mtj007
23-07-2009, 12:02 AM
I saw a Tiguan being advertised by a Perth dealer as being both super and turbo charged... I sent them an email informing them about what was actually under the bonnet and which VWs do actually have superchargers, haven't got a reply however it is no longer advertised as having a supercharger :rolleyes:

The noises coming from your Tiguan certainly don't sound normal, it is normal apparently for direct injection engines to be a bit rattly and sound almost like a diesel when cold though. I drive a diesel which always sounds like a diesel so I wouldn't know :???:

gerhard
23-07-2009, 12:12 AM
You could try ditching the Shell fuel and put some decent BP ultimate in.

Interresting comments about harshness - the GTI engine in mine is not noisy, and is not harsh even at redline.

Do the changes to the cam chain design (from the GTI's cam belt) create a noisier engine with more vibrations?

NZTiguan
23-07-2009, 06:37 AM
I saw a Tiguan being advertised by a Perth dealer as being both super and turbo charged... I sent them an email informing them about what was actually under the bonnet and which VWs do actually have superchargers, haven't got a reply however it is no longer advertised as having a supercharger :rolleyes:

You do realise that the 1.4 litre Tiguan available in Europe DOES have both a supercharger AND a turbocharger don't you !! This may be where the confusion is coming from.

Cheers

Sharkie
23-07-2009, 08:08 AM
You do realise that the 1.4 litre Tiguan available in Europe DOES have both a supercharger AND a turbocharger don't you !! This may be where the confusion is coming from.

Cheers

Yes 1.4TSI (110kw) available in Europe & South Africa (and in FWD) but that is NO excuse for a dealer not to know their product .......

Unfortunately you find that so often .... :frown:

clip
23-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes 1.4TSI (110kw) available in Europe & South Africa (and in FWD) but that is NO excuse for a dealer not to know their product .......

Unfortunately you find that so often .... :frown:
sharkie, get off the computer and get out into the shed and start getting the springs and stg3 kit fitted up :)

Sharkie
23-07-2009, 08:15 AM
sharkie, get off the computer and get out into the shed and start getting the springs and stg3 kit fitted up :)

LOL .. I wish .... at work and the Tig is at home :frown: ...

brad
23-07-2009, 09:06 AM
You could try ditching the Shell fuel and put some decent BP ultimate in.

Interresting comments about harshness - the GTI engine in mine is not noisy, and is not harsh even at redline.

Do the changes to the cam chain design (from the GTI's cam belt) create a noisier engine with more vibrations?

Gerhard,
I have the 1.8TSI - it has the chain. Quietest, most vibration free engine I've experienced in a long time. The idle is a fraction wobbly when dead-cold for about 2 minutes but no worse than my old AGG engine 2.0L Golf was when at NOT. It makes no diesel-like noises.

As for fuel, I know the majority likes to poo-poo Shell V-Power but I've tried all the major brands & it likes V-Power the best. In fact, I've only just finished running a tank of BP Ultimate through it & the Ultimate felt no different but my economy was 10% worse (which isn't really statistically significant but BP Ult always burns more fuel in my car).

edit: and my supercharger is deathly quiet;)

VW Convert
23-07-2009, 09:16 AM
edit: and my supercharger is deathly quiet;)

Almost as if it were not there? ROFL j:

Cheers

George

mtj007
23-07-2009, 06:29 PM

Yeah I mentioned that in the email, still no excuse for an Australian dealer not to know the Australian product range.

On topic - I listened to a friend's GTI today and there were no rattly/metallic sounds coming from the engine at all as he accelerated.

Spook
29-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before - been on hols and catching up on auto news. Seems that the 2010 petrol Tigs can now run on 95RON instead of 98.

More here (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/volkswagen/volkswagen-reviews-fuel-recommendation-16385)

gerhard
30-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Sorry if this has been posted before - been on hols and catching up on auto news. Seems that the 2010 petrol Tigs can now run on 95RON instead of 98.

More here (http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/volkswagen/volkswagen-reviews-fuel-recommendation-16385)

Yes, but why would you?

mickofoz
30-08-2009, 01:57 PM
My '07 Polo GTI has been fed BP Ultimate from the start. I was told by VW service after picking it up from the 30000 km inspection that the engine is in top condition, including the spark plugs.

My new Tig, when it will eventually get here.... sigh...., will also get BP Ultimate ONLY.

clip
30-08-2009, 06:37 PM
but surely anyone that bought a petrol Tig would go for the remap? I mean it's small $$$ but big bang for the buck in comparison to the rest of Tig options list.

mickofoz
30-08-2009, 07:09 PM
I will APR tune my Tig in 3 years, after the warranty runs out.
After 3 years driving the Tig it will be like driving a new car again. :rolleyes:

Joe Chu
30-08-2009, 08:21 PM
My '07 Polo GTI has been fed BP Ultimate from the start. I was told by VW service after picking it up from the 30000 km inspection that the engine is in top condition, including the spark plugs.

My new Tig, when it will eventually get here.... sigh...., will also get BP Ultimate ONLY.

No offense mate but how the hell did they know the spark plugs were in top knotch when they go no where near them in a 30k service?? oil and filter/ pollen filter/ brake bleed kick the tyres and thrash it around the block??

mickofoz
30-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I asked them to check the plugs as I was interested in whether using Ultimate only, would make a difference. No offence taken. j: