PDA

View Full Version : Brake reservoir lid

gman
14-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey all,

So.... The brake reservoir lid on my VR6 has a missing grommet at the top.

This has caused the blue indicator stick to pop up out of the lid.

My brake warning light is on.

It seems that the float makes the two electrical contacts in the lid touch only when it is down the bottom. My brake warning light is on now that the float has popped up to the top.

I'm wondering what the function of the float in the reservoir is - is it to indicate a high level (caused by overheating brake fluid) or a low level of brake fluid?

The golfloon is kindly looking for a replacement lid with a blue float/indicator stick for me at the moment but I'm interested in how the lid works.

Anyone know?

Or anyone have a spare lid with a blue float?!

Btw - Steve came to my place in Bondi to drop off some door trims with his nice white lowered VR6 - looks very cool with the euro spoiler lip. I'm excited to get the euro lip for my ride..

Gman

Tim
14-01-2007, 11:45 AM
yeah my cap went walk about a couple months ago?! was weird. just disappeared.
I think the brake indicator light should only come on when the float goes to the bottom tho. not to the top. Best i can tell is the little cap at the top just stops the float from sticking all the way up. cos mine is happily errect at the minute and i get no indicator lights on.

gman
14-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Aah, thanks for your reply Tim..

There must be some other prob with the brakes then. I think the pads are getting a little low, would that be causing the light to come on?

Know of a cheap place to get pads for a VR6 in Sydney?

Gman

Tim
14-01-2007, 12:06 PM
i think u guys up in syd are spoilt having loon and bug_racer. Im sure one of them would be able to steer u in the right direction!

DubSteve
14-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Btw - Steve came to my place in Bondi to drop off some door trims with his nice white lowered VR6 - looks very cool with the euro spoiler lip. I'm excited to get the euro lip for my ride..

Gman

Yeah thanks Gavin good to meet you to. It's hard to keep a car nice and clean gets dirty so easy.

Theres a place in Peakhurst that sells good but cheap on price puts some on my gf's barina and they work beautifully might go and get some aswell.

I want to get bendix brake pads though the ones with the less brake dust, its a hassle cleaning my wheels.