PDA

View Full Version : swaybars

FlyGTI
01-10-2005, 07:01 PM
G'day all, Was looking at suspension components and found that whiteline sells a swaybar kit, I already have a set for my 66 beetle, and was thinking of a set for my GTI. Question is has anyone fitted these to there golf before and how did you find their performance, I am aware of Neuspeed products but thought the Aussie option would be better and cheaper. Also what is involved withlowering my GTI as i am considering this also. Cheers Damo. :D

syncro
01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Get the Neuspeed.

mikinoz
29-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I just put a whiteline bar on my 1.6 MK IV with stock suspension + 16" rims, and the difference is truly amazing. Car tuns in, feels balanced and responsive.

That is all (apart from price arguments etc) these are VERY simple devices.

evorobin
30-12-2005, 01:02 AM
Eibach can get them in. Very happy with mine!

vee_dub
31-12-2005, 12:59 PM
i gonna get a whiteline sway bar for my golf soon....

just wondering do u guys have front n rear, or just rear or just front?

I am planning to get a rear sway only n front struct brace?

any suggestion?

syncro
31-12-2005, 04:49 PM
any suggestion?

Get the Neuspeed (or Eibach)

Golfwise
31-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Whiteline market their stuff overseas now too and are just as good at half the price except they aren't a direct replacement for mk1 GTI bars and are mounted differently.
Always put a rear one on first not the other way around. :D

evorobin
01-01-2006, 12:44 AM
any suggestion?

Eibach!

evorobin
09-01-2006, 09:20 AM
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97047&PN=1

Golfwise
17-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Hey we are in Australia now .
Some of our products are world class too , we're not complete fools.
I don't get what reference to the ClubGTI forum has got to do with anything.

Golf Loon
18-01-2006, 06:52 AM
What product do you recommed Wise one?

Golfwise
18-01-2006, 08:21 AM
This started out as a mk4 / swaybar discussion I thought and that Australian Whiteline products were worthy of using.
They have been in business since the 1960s so why wouldn't they be worth support .
No I doubt they make bars for a mk2 but then again there was only 290 mk2s sold here One would commit business suicide if they went into mk2 Golf swaybar production in Australia.
Another good example are springs.Why import when local ones are up to the same job and cheaper ?

syncro
21-01-2006, 08:34 PM
They do make Golf 2 swaybars as I was involved with the design and see how they work.

Buy the Eibach or Neuspeed.

imported_brackie
22-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Y'know... It's a pity that no hard data exists on swaybars. (Does it? Have I failed to find it or have I been looking in the wrong place?) Seems to me that much of the discussion has been based on anecdotal observation. I'd like to see some explanation or reasoning behind opinion. Might stop people slanging at each other :)
When you fit an after market part (or infact any new part) to an old car it's difficult to assess and impossible to measure its effectiveness over all cars as there are just so many variables! In the case of swaybars these would include: tyres, springs, shockies, how much rigidity the body has lost as it aged, and many more.

Golf Loon
22-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah you are right Brackie. I`d like to see lots of different bars fitted to the same car, with some timed circuit laps on each product. That would be the definative answer. Otherwise there are too many variables.

lyle-act
17-02-2006, 08:23 AM
personally i'll just be getting a whiteline as i know of a few people with them and they havn't said anything bad about them.

$200 compared to $400... i think ill pay $200 thanks.

It will go well with my Sach Shocks and Spax springs which cost me $575 all up haha :lol:

vee_dub
17-02-2006, 01:03 PM
haha cool
i am getting a whiteline sway bar too..:D:D

wannna buy together? hehehhe soo would it be cheaper only 2 men buying from whiteline?

Tim
17-02-2006, 01:29 PM
was looking at the whiteline application list and it seems they are only doing a 22mm one for mk3s from what i could gather. Most of the other decent branded ones are usually 25 or 28mm

EndlessMKI
17-02-2006, 01:30 PM
what ever you do don't get Whiteline sway bars for your VW.

They have no R&D for vw's

You should see the crap they make for the MKI.

mikinoz
19-02-2006, 08:27 PM
what ever you do don't get Whiteline sway bars for your VW.

They have no R&D for vw's

You should see the crap they make for the MKI.

Dude, you are FOS...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/02/RH_Golf4_0012_a-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/02/RH_Golf4_0012_b-1.jpg

The bar on the rear of my car is fine, equal to any other bar I have used. It should be said that the strongest setting on the adjustable is 'extereme' and I use it backed off neutral handling on the second setting and oversteer bias on the third setting.

Golfwise
20-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Good to here from you Mik.
There is nothing wrong with Aussie products and most ( read all) want them for road cars and extra stiff ones can bite when least expected.
How many out there have a full house race/street prepared mk4 Golf.
And this is not a thread for mk1s anyhow and why would an Australian Company research and develop a sway bar for a mk1 Golf.
The market is virtually non existant, they aren't complete fools.
The bars listed for mk1s were developed in the seventies and we who had Golfs in that era can thank them very much for a great product otherwise we would have had nothing at all.

EndlessMKI
20-02-2006, 10:10 AM
ok I stand very corrected......hahha.

Not one to give out wrong info.

knocking whiteline had nothing to do with knocking 'australia products' so don't get your knickers in a knot.

I'm happy for you guys with MKIV's, because for that price it's definately a bang for your buck bar.

Was more disappointed with the bar they made for the MKI's, front and rear.

Two of my friends got subrame tear out on a EK coupe civic and DC2 integra using a 22mm bar, bought it back to them and they were more than happy to pay the $1,100 bill to have the car fixed.

With the design for the rear axel on the MKIV's I don't think that can happen to the MKIVs.

syncro
20-02-2006, 01:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with Aussie products

Except VWs.

I don't think that Whiteline made Golf bars in the 70s

mikinoz
20-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Good to here from you Mik.

Yeah, I poke around here a bit, more on Vortex. There is not that much relevance, less MKIV talk than over there.

There are some interesting/amusing threads on here now and then but...

Poonmobile
29-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Just purchased a mk4 Vr6 4motion, and looking to get it handle better, are there any must do's? There is currently a squeaking noise coming from suspension
And I figure it is the bushes that are shagged, so wanting to do a bit of an overhaul and put new sway bars etc. and help info appreciated.
Cheers

RolfGolf
29-12-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi Poonmobile,

Depending on how well it's been maintained, you'll probably want to look into a suspension refresh.

ecstuning.com have some kits available for the Mk4 - stage 2 has the uprated TT control arm bushings rather than the standard ones.

Volkswagen Golf IV VR6 24v > Suspension > OEM > ES#248440 ECS Tuning Suspension Refresh Kit - Stage 2 - 1J0498010 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--VR6_24v/Suspension/OEM/ES248440/)

Is it on coils or lowered springs or stock suspension? Might be worth looking at new springs/shocks or coilovers ...

Eibach, Neuspeed, etc. all do swaybars for the mk4 - others who have them can chime in on what they did for performance/handling.

Cheers.

dylan8
29-12-2011, 06:34 PM
get a refresher kit, either springs and shocks or some coilovers, and a rear sway, car will feel completely different

OZChris
29-12-2011, 06:56 PM
Just curious, has anyone tried the Whiteline rear sway on a MK4 Golf?

undisclos3d
29-12-2011, 07:11 PM
I never installed Mine but i went on a lot of peoples advice that it really improves handling. And I've got a front swaybar for sale going cheap if you want it. Pm me

OZChris
29-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I never installed Mine but i went on a lot of peoples advice that it really improves handling. And I've got a front swaybar for sale going cheap if you want it. Pm me

I'm looking for a rear sway for my wife's Beetle (same as MK4 I believe).

dylan8
29-12-2011, 08:29 PM
yeah whitelines have been used on the rear of mk4s a lot from memory

Poonmobile
06-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Poonmobile,

Depending on how well it's been maintained, you'll probably want to look into a suspension refresh.

ecstuning.com have some kits available for the Mk4 - stage 2 has the uprated TT control arm bushings rather than the standard ones.

Volkswagen Golf IV VR6 24v > Suspension > OEM > ES#248440 ECS Tuning Suspension Refresh Kit - Stage 2 - 1J0498010 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_IV--VR6_24v/Suspension/OEM/ES248440/)

Is it on coils or lowered springs or stock suspension? Might be worth looking at new springs/shocks or coilovers ...

Eibach, Neuspeed, etc. all do swaybars for the mk4 - others who have them can chime in on what they did for performance/handling.

Cheers.

Thanks for the link, suspension is completely bog standard so will look at replacing the whole lot. I'm now deciding on coil overs or shock/spring combo. I do like my cars low, but it is a daily and i have coil overs in my Mk3 Vr and my MK2 vr and doing long journeys in them is pretty crap. Mind you they aren't the best brand...

Poonmobile
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Sorry to dredge up this old post, am in a position to get the refresher kit and have already got some lowering springs. Should I get a set of drop links as well- I've read about these- so not entirely sure what else I should purchase to do it all in one hit. Any links appreciated
Cheers