PDA

View Full Version : Koni suspension kit

rayray086
13-01-2007, 04:30 PM
G'day all.

I'm starting to look into a suspension kit which I can replace the stockies while doing my brake conversion. I firstly had my eyes set on the Eibach Pro-System (struts+springs) but that was a tad on the pricey side. A visit to the http://www.gtsuspension.com.au/ (GT Suspension) site has got me looking into Koni kits. Being tight on money, they've got Koni products on special and, well, they look nice :? Anyone have any experience with Koni products before?

Also, any other suspension kits (strut+spring combos, coilovers = $$ ?) that you guys recommend that give a compromise between performance and price? I'd like to see the Golf lowered, and there's no better time than now when I'm about to get the brake conversion done and fit in new wheels on it :D

Any help/feedback would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Raymond.

h100vw
13-01-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.ledltuning.at/index.php?name=Golf+III+Cabrio&x=18&y=14&category=weitec-gtn&subcategory=VOLKSWAGEN

Available from demon tweaks in the uk.

Bora Sport
13-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I have Konis on my Bora and my wife's Vento. I had them on my 2 VR6's, my 16V Mk 2 and 2 of my MK1's and I would highly recommend them.

rayray086
13-01-2007, 08:33 PM
I've heard good things about Weitec kits, though I'm not prepared to ship them from overseas. Cost is still a big factor to me, and if anything goes/is wrong with them, it'd be a big hassle to arrange exchange/refunds. Know if there are any Aussie places that stock Weitec's?

The GT suspension site claims "up to 40mm" drop for the Koni's. Is this noticeable on your cars Bora Sport? I wouldn't want anything lower really but just wanted to know if you could physically see the differences too.

I'm just looking to buy a kit that's mainly used on the street.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

evorobin
13-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Weitec are available from KW in Sydney. Dragan said he can get these awhile ago when I posted I'd bought a set.

Golfer
13-01-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Ray, out of interest how much did Koni quote for the coilover set?

Still kicking myself for missing out on Sean's old Eibachs...

John :cool:

DubSteve
14-01-2007, 10:08 AM
www.kmac.com.au

There situated in Rockdale I got them sitting on the vr6, I'm really happy with there product awesome spirngs and they can lower it to what ever height you want.

I got them for $550

BL33SU
14-01-2007, 12:53 PM
the kmacs are still very comfortable, stiffer but a nice ride.

mk3vr6: $550 is a ripp off for kmacs, i got quaoted $380 installed from the asain guy that works there.

DubSteve
14-01-2007, 04:12 PM
the kmacs are still very comfortable, stiffer but a nice ride.

mk3vr6: $550 is a ripp off for kmacs, i got quaoted $380 installed from the asain guy that works there.

Another person that I no payed the same amount for there civic to be lowered. $380 I'm pretty sure thats not for fitment.

BL33SU
14-01-2007, 04:42 PM
trust me.. $380 is supply and fitted any height:D ;)

DubSteve
14-01-2007, 04:58 PM
trust me.. $380 is supply and fitted any height:D ;)

Well then myself and two other mates got ripped.

BL33SU
14-01-2007, 04:59 PM
yep:?

ah well, you's must of looked rich that day or sumthing.

Bora Sport
14-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I've heard good things about Weitec kits, though I'm not prepared to ship them from overseas. Cost is still a big factor to me, and if anything goes/is wrong with them, it'd be a big hassle to arrange exchange/refunds. Know if there are any Aussie places that stock Weitec's?

The GT suspension site claims "up to 40mm" drop for the Koni's. Is this noticeable on your cars Bora Sport? I wouldn't want anything lower really but just wanted to know if you could physically see the differences too.

I'm just looking to buy a kit that's mainly used on the street.

Thanks for the feedback so far!
My 2 VR6's were lowered on Eibach springs. One of the Mk1's that I had was lowered when I bought it. All the others I have just put the Konis in with the factory springs. They make a big difference even with the original springs especially if the car has already done say 100,00k's on the original shocks.

I use my car for work everyday and I find that while the Bora 4Mo has fantastic grip it already has fairly poor ground clearance. So I kept the standard ride height.

rayray086
15-01-2007, 01:32 AM
evorobin : Might give those guys a try. KW as in the KW Suspension located at Girraween in NSW? I live near there (went to high school there actually) so might give them a visit one day.

Golfer: Haven't called them up yet! I'll ask about the coilover kit as well and see what their price on it is. My friend bought Sean's Eibach springs and they're sitting tight on his Mk3. They look good! Haha too bad you missed out!

Mk3vr6 and 1DUB2C: Seeing how my budget goes, I might give them a go! And btw, correct site is www.k-mac.com.au - the other one got me into law/accounting firm! Out of curiosity Steve, how low is your VR6 sitting compared to stock? And was it just springs that you replaced?

Bora Sport: When would it be safe to say that the factory shocks are good to go? Like, mine doesn't feel shot or damaged, as they still absorb bumps fairly well, but the car does roll quite a lot when taking some corners. I thought that since I'm thinking of changing the springs, may as well change the struts too? Of course that means $$$ so I'm just looking into different kits.

If only I had a money tree in the backyard.

h100vw
15-01-2007, 08:02 AM
You can't fit new springs with old shocks, they'll have a hard time keeping up with a higher rate.

The roll on a std mk1 is unbelieveable but they don't let go, it just feels uncomfortable. Having flat cornering isn't the be all and end all.

If you haven;t got the $$$s now I'd save longer and get a kit.

As a bit of a warning, I bought some Eibachs cheap for a mk3 in the UK, I didn't buy good enough shocks and the ride was truely awful. In the end I was offered a secndhand Weitec kit off a mate as he was selling his mk3. We did a marathon swap around on his drive. The Weitec kit of matched shocks and springs was far superior to the Eibachs and weak( but new) shocks.

The voice of costly experience... ;0)
Gavin

gpk_gti
15-01-2007, 11:33 AM
years ago I used to put Kmac in my cars and everytime I jacked the car the springs would fall out.:mad: but last time I checked for a mate of mine mk3 Gl,H&R springs were roughly $500.

DubSteve
15-01-2007, 02:33 PM
years ago I used to put Kmac in my cars and everytime I jacked the car the springs would fall out.:mad: .

Wow thats bd luck!!!

Out of curiosity Steve, how low is your VR6 sitting compared to stock? And was it just springs that you replaced?

I'm pretty sure that its sitting at about 2 inches lower not sure but you will see it on Sunday. When I first got the car it had koni adjustable shocks. The springs at the front were f@#%, when I would turn the wheel it would cause them to make a knocking sound. This was because of the spring was not adjustable as the shock and when it was compressed it made the knocking noise and didn't work like a coilover spring should work. Went to K-mac and they made adjustable ones for me and then put them on. I got the same height as what they used to be but now they don't knock when I turn the wheel and lock it :D

rayray086
25-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Alrighty. Bought myself an early birthday present.

Koni Specials (reds) with Koni 1020 Sport Springs. My preference in ride comfort over outstanding handling made my decision to go for reds over yellows.

Cost was $1060 all up, which I thought was fairly good considering they're new and are Konis. Springs were only $330, "upto 45mm lowering". Got them from GT Suspension (http://www.gtsuspension.com.au/css/index.php). Service was OK, not great, but then again I could only talk to them over the phone (located in Victoria, I'm in Sydney). I asked about their Koni coil-over systems and they are selling them at ~$2700. It was free shipment too (spend over $750) and they arrived a day after I ordered them:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/01/CIMG5185-2.jpg

Will fit them on together with a new set of rims when I get them. Hope I made the right decision to go with Konis.

static1800
20-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Do Mk2's rub on the wheel arches as bad as mk1's? My first mk1 was terrible and i want to get a set of lowered springs for the gti but dont like tyre rub one bit. King springs are rated to 30mm drop those koni's are 45mm.

gpk_gti
20-02-2007, 01:44 PM
I think you need to get progressive rate coils??

static1800
20-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Just realised to if i want to get into the garage i need to make some sort of ramp, im an inch of ripping the spoiler of already.

Bug_racer
20-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Just realised to if i want to get into the garage i need to make some sort of ramp, im an inch of ripping the spoiler of already.

After a few 1k km's they will drop more as well

Make sure you change the strut top mounts as well !!

static1800
20-02-2007, 02:12 PM
might just hang off and get a coilover kit, would be the smarter option in the long run.