PDA

View Full Version : This is Rallying

quozl
18-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Enjoy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7V1xYzSNd0)

Cheers Al

h100vw
18-07-2009, 11:29 AM
That IS Rallying.

Some great footage and great drivers Richard Burns and Henri Toivonen.

I might have missed McCrae, he must have been there.

Group B, Cossies the works. I feel good for having watched that!:driver:

Gavin

16v_kid
18-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Lancia For The Win!!!!

schoona
18-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Very cool video. One of the "relad videos" was McRae in the WRC98 Subaru on tarmac, also a good view :)

GoLfMan
18-07-2009, 02:23 PM
top post :) thanks for that!

MattyT
18-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I dont have sound atm, but great visuals!!

Stan
18-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Best footage ever IMO, Ari Varttannen at pikes Peak hill climb....note the size of the drop off if he loses it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_VP1GHPJA

Golf Loon
18-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Check out this one and the crash 5.30 mins in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnUMmZg0TFg&NR=1

mikepologti
19-07-2009, 07:44 AM
wow thats awsome viewing, certainly going to favourates.

racerrachy
19-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Rallying in the 80s was off its head, with the group b cars nd such, but everyone kept dying so i guess they kinda had to stop it. Rallying has def gone downhill from there especially in the world rally with alot of the manufacturers pulling out. There are NO factory works teams in australia at the moment. Last one was Toyota but they pulled out only this year, so privateers only! Everyones running out of money, i think thats the problem.

...only the coolest people do rallying.

Yep.

That's right ;-)

Preen59
19-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Rallying in the 80s was off its head, with the group b cars nd such, but everyone kept dying so i guess they kinda had to stop it. Rallying has def gone downhill from there especially in the world rally with alot of the manufacturers pulling out. There are NO factory works teams in australia at the moment. Last one was Toyota but they pulled out only this year, so privateers only! Everyones running out of money, i think thats the problem.

...only the coolest people do rallying.

Yep.

That's right ;-)

The toyota team you speak of may be going to do something with Passats or Jettas. I've got my ear to the ground with a contact in Colin Osbourne's team. But that's last i heard, which was quite a few months ago now. :)

Only the coolest people do rallying? Pfft, whatever, Trevor. :nana:

racerrachy
19-07-2009, 10:22 AM
The toyota team you speak of may be going to do something with Passats or Jettas. I've got my ear to the ground with a contact in Colin Osbourne's team. But that's last i heard, which was quite a few months ago now. :)

Only the coolest people do rallying? Pfft, whatever, Trevor. :nana:

You mean Evans & bates? Simon nd sue ar in a subaru i think bates nd taylor may be aswell..

ENERG1
19-07-2009, 12:53 PM
That was red hot!

CHEERS

Luke

Golf Loon
19-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Rallying in the 80s was off its head, with the group b cars nd such, but everyone kept dying so i guess they kinda had to stop it.

It was more of a problem with spectators being too close and lack of management that led to teams such as Audi pulling out, which hastened the demise of Group B.

Still the most awesome cars and produced some of the best drivers of the time.

static1800
19-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah it was mainly the spectators that brought its demise, a few died in one accident as did a couple of drivers in the same year so the FIA put a stop to it. The cars these days are actually much faster though :)

Preen59
19-07-2009, 05:25 PM
You mean Evans & bates? Simon nd sue ar in a subaru i think bates nd taylor may be aswell..

Not sure that it's actually rallying. I think it's more to do with some kind of production class (circuit racing). Simon has been doing some circuit racing for the team aswell (Lemans etc).

You may want to take what i've said with a grain of salt, as it was a while ago i was talking to my mate about it. I should actually ask him next week..

racerrachy
19-07-2009, 06:14 PM
spectators are still getting killed in rallies, although it is alot safer now then it was in the 80s. They stopped Group B rallying after somethin like 5 years of it running. A driver & codriver were both killed in the same accident i guess it was the last straw for the FIA.
...i know evans does autocross but i didnt think he was doin circuit racing...

quozl
19-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Simon and Sue are currently competing in the ARC in an Evo 9 prepared by Simons dad they are in the same family team with his brother Eli.

EDIT: Oh and regarding group B here is the complete story on why it was stopped courtesy of http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/history.html

The end of Group B

The pace of technology in Group B was astounding, but FISA was planning Group S. Group S was to be a class which would allow manufacturers to produce highly futuristic cars, and only ten copies would be required for homologation. However, the inevitable finally happened: during the 1986 Port Wine rally in Portugal, a Ford RS200 left the road on a spectator stage, killing three and injuring dozens; after the crash, all the works teams withdrew from the rally. But the final blow for Group B came on May 4, 1986.

Lancia's lead driver, Henri Toivonen, was dominating the 1986 championship and the Tour de Corse rally when his S4 left the road during a twisty tarmac stage. The car went off the edge of the road, hitting trees and rocks while sliding down a hillside. Toivonen and his navigator, Sergio Cresto, were killed. There were no witnesses to the crash, and the subsequent fire completely destroyed the car, leaving the remains unrecognizable as a vehicle. The heat from the fire was so intense that all that remained of the car was a blackened space frame. Group B and Group S were instantly cancelled for the 1987 season; Ford and Audi withdrew from Group B immediately. The other works teams decided to see the season out.

Cheers Al

racerrachy
19-07-2009, 06:38 PM
they are too! duno wat the hell i was thinkin bout' , i think eli's in the subaru..white one? they prepare them in paky.

Simon and Sue are currently competing in the ARC in an Evo 9 prepared by Simons dad they are in the same family team with his brother Eli.

EDIT: Oh and regarding group B here is the complete story on why it was stopped courtesy of http://www.stormloader.com/groupb/history.html

Cheers Al

quozl
19-07-2009, 07:50 PM
they are too! duno wat the hell i was thinkin bout' , i think eli's in the subaru..white one? they prepare them in paky.

Yes Eli is in the white Subaru and Simon is in the Red Evo

Cheers Al