PDA

View Full Version : Another new Polo GTI owner....

theStainRemover
12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Heya all,

just recently went into the VW dealer in Essendon looking to buy myself a TDI.

Damn bastige dealer let me take home the demo Polo GTI overnight, so I did, and gave it a damn good thrashing.

That sold the polo GTI to me, so I ordered a Shadow Blue one and it's 10 business days until I get mine dammit.

So g'day to you all and happy to find a forum full of VW nutters!

Anyway told VW to bugger off as far as the paint & interior protection and tinting goes - I'll be doing that after market. Not convinced of the advantages of paint protection meself.

Anyone got any good recommendations as to a tinting and/or interior protection vendor in Northern suburbs of Melbourne? Approx costs and % value for tinting?

FYI Insurance is quite good with VW Insurance at the mo - they have a $350 cashback offer until end of Jan07, so that'll be at least my window tinting paid for.

Also very keen to explore the APR software upgrade sold by Volkspower in Melb (gets the Polo to 152 kW) and heard you can try before you buy. Anyone had any experience with this and recommendations?

Also liked the sound of their modification package which was APR software + APR stainless exhaust system + Carbonio Cool air intake. Supposedly gets the pocket rocket up to 200 kW? Anyone had any experience or recommendations with this type of stuff?

Thanks for any help in advance!

theStainRemover

SidGTi
12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
Welcome! And congrats on the purchase!

The modification package sounds interesting...and pwhoar 200kw from just those mods?!?!?! :cool: Did you get a price on that package? Bit sceptical with those power numbers though if it is true. Not taking into account the reflash thats an extra 48kw with just an intake and exhaust? Is it possible?

shaneth
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Not sure about the 200kw package you mentioned. I tested the chip a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic :D. Guy (APR QLD) has had it dynoed at 125kw@w i think.

theStainRemover
13-01-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Well not definite of the kW increase to 152kW (s/w upgrade) since I don't own the car yet but referring to:

http://www.goapr.com.au/products/ecu_upgrade_polo18t.html

and also just going on what the stoner type guy at Volkspower was mentioning as well (who "confirmed" the web kW increase)....

ie I haven't Dyno'd it. But then they let you try the APR software upgrade before you buy it - somehow they let you run a demo version of it on your car for 6 hours. So in theory I could get the card Dyno'd in the interim. However must clarify that the stonerdude mentioned that the APR software ALONE would bring the car to 152 kW.

Which is why I was asking if anyone had tried/tested/confirmed the APR software upgrade to the "reputed" 152 kW and had any comments on it?

However Additional the costing of the package that Volkspower (Melb) offered = APR s/w (brings you to 152kW by itslef = $2k) + APR stainless exhaust ($2K) + Carbonio Cool air intake ($699) = total of $4699 (which I was quoted by "stonerdude" from Volkspower over the phone) supposedly would get the car to 200 kW and would "kick almost anyone's ride on the road dude - think about power to weight ratio dude!"

So wondering if anyone had gone down these specific road(s) yet and could comment? Worth it?

Me = I'm getting a bit old and farty. Like quality performance cars and have also owned a couple of golfs (specifically), an audi, and BWM previous (and others but they don't note except for the subaru outback 2001 LE v.nice car for what it was), eventually leading to my choice of VW now.

I loved my golfs, and can easily afford a GTI (Golf or Polo), but I like the look, concept and feel of the new Polo GTI (though dislike the lack of centre storage compt thingy).

I'm probably not going to race it out on a track (though you never know) but more likely take it touring around the Victorian vineyard countryside with my wifey - or vice versa. Also the burn around the burbs after/from work is a kicker for me.

Just to explain my situation; I'm married 5 years now, the inlaws own a few Enzeds, ie they are mostly rev heads - father in law owns both a current and a restored (from mem) '67 DB9, drives them in tours and such; the brother in law used to race at a national level (and was reputed to be good), so they're a wealth of of petrol head knowledge. Not to belittle women, but every type of car type race thing (ie go-carts and non auto pro stuff) my wife is the best of the girlies it the pack by far and wouldn't pick it from when you meet her, but she also beats half the guys = good car racing genotype.

End result is even though I love my fast cars, wife loves them even more so I can get away with it :D

Anyways if anyone has any experience with the above, noteably:
- best tint people in Melb?
- best interior prot in Melb?
- comments on any APR upgrades - s/w and the above package and worth?
- any other experience in the specific field - do's and don'ts?

Timbo
13-01-2007, 05:50 AM
Welcome mate

Pound for pound, straight out of the box and on to the road at less than $30k, I reckon the Polo GTI is about as good as it gets. And you can track it quite respectably in that state, too :) Perhaps there is better value, quality and comfort to be had, but I'm stuffed if know what it it.

But wait, as they say in the old Demtel ads, there's more! The 1.8T motor has been around for years, is as tough as old nails, and is substantially undertuned in the stock Polo GTI. So, yes, you can chip it for less than $2k and have an additional 30% in power. You can also upgrade suspension and brakes, all at pretty good value prices, too (personally, I reckon $2k for a s/s exhaust is over the top, and probably offers only marginal gains, if any).

So, for a low cost ride to do what you want, the Pog is hard to beat. I've tracked mine and was pretty impressed. No, it won't do WRX times but it was decently close to the times I used to run on the same track in my RX-8...and as much fun!

The only negative comment I'd make is to remember that because it is a low price entry, it is very easy to overcapitalise it with mods, so I'm taking easy

h100vw
13-01-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't want to start a bun fight here but I reckon some facts need to be check out.

That link shows 152KW with the APR flash but I am not having it, that it'll do 200KW without a bigger turbo. The K04 conversion on a MK5 GTI does 224KW.

Gavin

pologti_oldfart
13-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I have to agree with Timbo on getting carried away with the mods!

I was budgeting for a much more expensive car when I decided on the Polo so I could afford to go a bit crazy on the mods.

After getting the APR flash I realised that I had a damn good car in that trim and do I really need to keep bolting things on!

So I have decided to stop there and enjoy the car and save some money to boot!

Of course that's just me (One indication that I am getting old!)

theStainRemover
13-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't want to start a bun fight here but I reckon some facts need to be check out.

That link shows 152KW with the APR flash but I am not having it, that it'll do 200KW without a bigger turbo. The K04 conversion on a MK5 GTI does 224KW.

Gavin

With the upgrade package VWPower mentioned (the s/w,+the exhaust + the intake) they mentioned the figure 200 kW but yep wondering if that is reality or not, or if anyone's tried/bought the package?

So what is the K04 conversion - is this just for the Golf GTI?

h100vw
13-01-2007, 11:20 AM
The K04 is a bigger turbo, the Polo has a K03 I think like my A3 which is rated at the same std power of 110KW.

The K04 in one varient is fitted to the 225HP Audi TT and to other 225HP VAG cars in a different varient which is suitable for front wheel drive cars like the Seat Leon Cupra R.

As it is larger is can supply more boost and volume of air over the 03.

Gavin

shaneth
13-01-2007, 12:53 PM
h100vw - I totally agree. Here is what Guy Harding (APR Brisbane) said about the exhaust.
Anyway, after a dozen dyno runs & a couple of changes this morning, there are no quantifiable gains to be made with stock turbo & stock intake.

This is just as we expected after we cut up the original system, and also why the Polo makes such good horsepower with the APR Software (Vw have put a pretty good exhaust on this car in the first place!)

Anyway, we are emission & noise compliant!

I think the exhaust will come into its own when we put the K04 on in the coming weeks.

AND

There was a little bit of increase in midrange and top end, but we are talking a couple of percent - not enough to even rule out dyno differences - good thing is we didnt lose horsepower

So some how i dont think a cai will get 50kw.

Guy might be able to add more to this if he reads it.

jasn78
13-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Hey guys I have a s/s exhaust ftted and honestly i dont think between that and the software upgrade i am making anywhere near that sorta power so cant c how just a cold air intake could help that much, afterall we arent talking a jap car that has been restricted to th nth degree.

Timbo
13-01-2007, 08:02 PM
However Additional the costing of the package that Volkspower (Melb) offered = APR s/w (brings you to 152kW by itslef = $2k) + APR stainless exhaust ($2K) + Carbonio Cool air intake ($699) = total of $4699 (which I was quoted by "stonerdude" from Volkspower over the phone) supposedly would get the car to 200 kW and would "kick almost anyone's ride on the road dude - think about power to weight ratio dude!"

So wondering if anyone had gone down these specific road(s) yet and could comment? Worth it?

My advice for this car -- or any car, really -- is to spend a bit of time with it stock, so you get an idea of the areas you want to improve. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but IMHO the last thing this car needs as the first mod from stock is 200Kw power, however managed (or even if achieved ;) ). It'll be like a terrier on the lino, and it *may* not stop or turn corners at the speeds you are making :o

Just my 2psi :)

SidGTi
14-01-2007, 11:36 AM
If the lil pogo was to start pulling about 200kw you'd need to start thinking about upgrading other parts of the car to handle the increased power as well. Brakes obviously a must!!!

Guy_H
15-01-2007, 08:13 AM
K04 turbo, high flow manifold, AOR front mount intercooler, big bore inlet pipe, 2.5" stainless exhaust with high flow cat AND a 104 octane specific program will bump you to around the 200kw mark ;)

Weakest link is the clutch at this level, but we would seriously advise on brake / suspension upgrades :)

gtigrl
15-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the forum...

Being a "girlie" (little condecending don't you think:? ) that owns a polo gti with just the APR upgrade I get 152kw out of the car and 204bhp BUT after having driven it for a while (and I reckon rob and guy will agree) the little car needs suspension and brake upgrades to be able to deal with the increased power.
Don't think I am going to bother with an exhaust, my money is going towards probably coil overs and better wheels :)... if and when I can be bothered because to be honest I blow most cars its size away anyway and apart from torque steer I love my car the way it is :D

theStainRemover
15-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Many thanks for all the friendly and helpful info all!

Yes I think I'll sit on the car a little before going ahead with any mods.

And after a bit trial just the software upgrade in the near future and then see where I'm at.

10 business days and counting....

Glide_GTI
15-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Another new owner! arrhh there everywhere now :)

check out www.vwvortex.com - the regional and then australia forums.. bit bigger then here, lots of gtg's happening most of the time

theStainRemover
15-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Another new owner! arrhh there everywhere now :)

check out www.vwvortex.com - the regional and then australia forums.. bit bigger then here, lots of gtg's happening most of the time

Hey thanks for the extra link and info but as far as I could tell there was very very much less happening on that forum than here - ie 11 posts for Polo GTIs as compared to like 40 on this forum - not to mention it was not just a VW forum but other makes as well.

Maybe if I was looking for topics like "Lexus LS 460s modded"......um I have a VW polo not a lexus??!?!?!

or "Will the polo GTI ever come to America?" hahahahaha like I care what the seppos don't get..........

Guessing you are a mod of that forum or something.

Hey thanks heaps for the contribution anyway!

Glide_GTI
15-01-2007, 10:48 PM
im not a mod, yes maybe a few less polo posts, but it looked more active to me... *shrug*

theStainRemover
15-01-2007, 10:55 PM
im not a mod, yes maybe a few less polo posts, but it looked more active to me... *shrug*

You a seppo?

Glide_GTI
15-01-2007, 11:07 PM
seppo? what?

im just mentioned another link that some people might find useful, take it or leave it :mad:

shaneth
16-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Glide -
Seppo / Septic tank - Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals.

TheStainRemover - Mate there are quite alot here that have beeen on or are on the vortex forum. And while im not a huge fan of it doesnt mean that its not worth looking at as there are some very imformitive posts on there. And as for the word seppo i didnt know what it ment either till i looked it up. But if a mod would correct me but its against forum rules to use words like that.
Please......No bad language, "sledging", derogatory comments or illegal activities.

gtimk5
16-01-2007, 06:39 AM
The big thing on watercooled is that we are friendly and dont put others down. If we can all help each other at some stage or have social get togethers, then the forum is doing exactly what Brackie and Loon set out to do at the start.
I cant get much sense out of the other forums around but maybe cause I dont have time to sit there and cut through all the bulls.it and derogratory remarks in soooo many posts.
Its amazing how a simple question can turn into a 4 page slanging competition.
So, lets keep our forum friendly and helpful. Cheers, Andrew :)

shaneth
16-01-2007, 06:45 AM
The big thing on watercooled is that we are friendly and dont put others down. If we can all help each other at some stage or have social get togethers, then the forum is doing exactly what Brackie and Loon set out to do at the start.
I cant get much sense out of the other forums around but maybe cause I dont have time to sit there and cut through all the bulls.it and derogratory remarks in soooo many posts.
Its amazing how a simple question can turn into a 4 page slanging competition.
So, lets keep our forum friendly and helpful. Cheers, Andrew :)

Couldnt agree more mate. This forum is the friendliest forum ive been on. And may it stay that way. :D

gtimk5
16-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Between us all, Shaneth, it will mate. And a good 2007 to you as well :)
Cheers, Andrew:)

HOMEWORK
05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Is 300hp possible on the k04 turbo?

Ralfi
05-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey congrats on the purchase. I was aiming to get mine from there back in April, but since they were closed on the Sat before the end of the month & I knew i'd be busy the following week, I just bought mine from South Yarra VW.

As for tints, a few people here (including myself), have gone to Tint-A-Car in North Melbourne. I got the Midnight Express tint, which is the darkest legal tint. The GTI already has a minor tint out of the factory, to, technically, i've got a slightly-darker-than-legal tint.

Check out the pics threads for photos of tints for an idea of how it looks.

I'm loving it stock & am slowly (don't have much time to drive the thing these days!) working out how to get the most out of it.

Mods might come in the future (I can see suspension, shocks & chip happening, with the aim of not sending the current ride backwards), but for now, i'm having too much fun on stock.

NickZ
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey congrats on the purchase. I was aiming to get mine from there back in April, but since they were closed on the Sat before the end of the month & I knew i'd be busy the following week, I just bought mine from South Yarra VW.

As for tints, a few people here (including myself), have gone to Tint-A-Car in North Melbourne. I got the Midnight Express tint, which is the darkest legal tint. The GTI already has a minor tint out of the factory, to, technically, i've got a slightly-darker-than-legal tint.

Check out the pics threads for photos of tints for an idea of how it looks.

I'm loving it stock & am slowly (don't have much time to drive the thing these days!) working out how to get the most out of it.

Mods might come in the future (I can see suspension, shocks & chip happening, with the aim of not sending the current ride backwards), but for now, i'm having too much fun on stock.

Good advice, although I don't think the original poster cares anymore (look at the date of the post :))

Ralfi
05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh crap..
:)

AcoustiK
06-08-2009, 12:09 AM
... Anyways just wondering where is the best place to get a good suspension setup for a Polo GTI thats not going to cost an arm or a leg?,

Probably just looking for coilovers and a rear sway bar, thats about it...

noone
06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Whats your budget?

AcoustiK
06-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Probably $2,000 all up?

Even if its just springs, decent ones, I might be keen on this too.

noone
06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Probably $2,000 all up?

Even if its just springs, decent ones, I might be keen on this too.

For that price, I'd be seeing if you can still get the K1 coilovers that Fuzion was selling in the classifies section.

Otherwise, H&R springs with Bilsten shocks or one of the many other tried and tested combo's (with the rear sway).