PDA

View Full Version : fuel gauge sometimes doesnt work

BL33SU
12-01-2007, 09:38 AM
my fuel gauge is playing up, when i turn the keys it goes to the middle and stays there but i know i have less or more then half a tank. but then sometimes it goes to the correct reading for about 1 minute and then back to the middle.
is it the sensors for the fuel? how do i fix it?

i'm not sure if its got anything to do with the vacuum hose that runs to the divertor valve, i changed it and it just happened the day after.

DubSteve
12-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Could it be like the golf that if you leave the keys in the ignition could that affect it. Maybe try unplugging the battery and re plugging it might restart it.

william
12-01-2007, 11:32 AM
possibly fuel sender unit located inside the tank maybe dirt inside the connector ,unplug connector located under seat passenger rear spray contact cleaner spray and plug back in you also might find the plug is damaged or broke causing the plug to not plug in properly do all this if not fixed quote fuel sender unit

BL33SU
12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
i was reading on passatworld that there was a recall on that part and there is corrosion, and sometimes adding fuel injector cleaner fixes it??

also could it be the **** fuel i added for this tank? it happened wen i put in 91 octane from a dodgy petrol station that day aswell.

how much is a fuel sender unit?

Bug_racer
12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
run a couple of tanks of 98 octane fuel

What are you doing using 91 on a turbo car !

William , you need to raise an RO to quote parts :)

BL33SU
13-01-2007, 10:36 AM
lol it says i can use 91 or 95 in the fuel cap so i thought i'd try 91 and see if theres a difference.

william
13-01-2007, 01:02 PM
il set one up now thanks seb:)

william
13-01-2007, 01:09 PM
i was reading on passatworld that there was a recall on that part and there is corrosion, and sometimes adding fuel injector cleaner fixes it??

also could it be the **** fuel i added for this tank? it happened wen i put in 91 octane from a dodgy petrol station that day aswell.

how much is a fuel sender unit?

shame on you sir il say it again all european cars should be run with 95 octane and up no lower ive found every vehicle i look at for rough running always have bad fuel and because of bad running fouls up plugs and lambda probes something to keep in mind for next time :)

auspassat
04-03-2007, 04:28 PM
possibly fuel sender unit located inside the tank maybe dirt inside the connector ,unplug connector located under seat passenger rear spray contact cleaner spray and plug back in you also might find the plug is damaged or broke causing the plug to not plug in properly do all this if not fixed quote fuel sender unit
I had a simular problem. Removed the dender unit cleaned the connections, disconnected the battery. All fixed.