PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Light issues!!

TREGGA
13-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi, think this has been covered before but: Connected my boat trailer to my new V6 TDI Touareg and the lights flickered (lcd's) so I connected to my box trailer and all worked except blinkers come on for Brake lights, (both trailers worked fine on other cars) any suggestions??:duh:

Transporter
13-07-2009, 07:45 PM
If you bought genuine tow bar take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out, it shouldn't take too long. If you try to fix it and than go back to the dealer they could blame it on you.

TREGGA
15-07-2009, 11:21 AM
C:frown:ontacted dealer he said it's normal for blinkers to come on with brake lights, this a european thing and I need a device to increase the current to the trailer which costs $250, has anyone else encountered this?

Transporter
15-07-2009, 11:46 AM
It doesn't sound right.
That would be when braking suddenly in emergency, than the indicator lights come on (on some cars) to warn other drivers but I don't think that it applies to trailer and under normal braking. Try to ask another dealer or ask people who fit towbars.

wrigley_gs
15-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Trailer LED Lights & Electric trailer brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2008 V6Touareg, factory (not dealer) installed towbar and vehicle pre wired for trailer brakes. I wanted to use my Tekonsha Prodigy brake controler from a previous vehicle, VW could not help directly.

After a bit of searching I found...

Info on the web to make the plug to suit the installed wiring under the dash to connect the brake controler to the vehicle wiring, VW part numbers included not very expensive.

http://tm-techmark.com/touareg/PDFfi...%20Cayenne.pdf

Went to an auto elec in Richmond (Melbourne Vic.) and he sorted out the Brake controler and vehicle wiring, the brake controler was being upset by the on board diagnostics. He installed an interface to get the corrrect signal from the brake lights to the brake controler still leaving the onboard diagnostics to do their thing. You could possible find one in SA or give Steve a call for info

http://www.stevevarrasso.com/

A VW LED light interface is needed to fool the on board diagnostics (LED's draw minimal current) on trailers fitted with LED lights it works fine with LED lights on my boat trailer. (mine was part of the purchase deal)

One other thing to look at is if the dealer (not factory) installed the tow bar and wiring, has the trailer light computor been programmed for Australian lighting standards

Graeme

bobzed57
17-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's a link to my fix http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/led-trailer-light-problem-again-21943.html Not the most elegant solution, but owks for me. I guess it could be installed in a box and used for multiple trailers, but you'd need to be sure you could dissipate the heat.

Works fine lasts 'long time. Ran the system on a 2 and a half week trip to the Flinders earlier this year and not a peep.

Although, will it work on my new D3?

Cheers

apom
21-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys, i believe this should be a solution, I had was given a solution for my R36 (also on this forum under passat)

The part Number is VGA0055204 LOAD LED LOAD SIMULATOR 5A-300708RA

This is setup for a flat 7 pin design so assume there is a version for round also.

The pack consists of a Male/Female extension with the load simulator in the middle, an instruction leaflet and a set of cable ties. The idea is this thing gets strapped (or permanently mounted) to the trailer, plugs into you towbar lead before connecting to the trailer plug.

I believe these are about $200, however I do not know the exact price as it came with the towbar kit as a peace offering for the stuff ups I had along the way (a long story)

I was told it was a deliberate piece of reverse engineering to fix the problem that is large issue with Touareg owners. I believe Bosch have also come up with a solution that can be a mod to the vehicle wiring but this is an expensive fix.

boris
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
HI Guys,

I believe the indicators illuminating with brake lights is a US thing?

I think this is just a coding change in the trailer module.

The LED light concern can be rectified by the load box because the ecu is looking for a resistance to check if the globes are serviceable. If there is no or very little resistance like an LED the vehicle assumes the globes are blown.

Cheers,
Boris

bobzed57
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
One of the issues most overlooked when you get spurious indications on trailer lights is that of having a good earth. Make sure that where the earth lead joins the trailer chassis it's clean and free from corrosion. If you have a poor earth, it's not uncommon to see park/brake lights dimly flash in time to the indicators and because LEDs have much lower current requirements they're likely to be more susceptible.

Cheers

22-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi, think this has been covered before but: Connected my boat trailer to my new V6 TDI Touareg and the lights flickered (lcd's) so I connected to my box trailer and all worked except blinkers come on for Brake lights, (both trailers worked fine on other cars) any suggestions??:duh:
Your blinkers come on with the brake becasue the trailer control unit is incorrectly coded it will have the coding on 1 it needs to be set on 3 i hope that helps:smile:

22-09-2009, 01:30 PM
all the LED load box does is it stops the light bulb symbol coming on the dash when using LED trailer lights

Transporter
23-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Another solution this one is from REDARC Adelaide based company, good website with a lots of info on dual battery systems and 12v to 12v battery chargers.
http://www.redarc.com.au/dummy_loads.htm

phantomcamel
28-05-2010, 02:13 PM
If your sales person would have been profesional, he would have asked you if your trailer has LED lights & advised you that you need a seperate adapter. I think they are about $240.00 - covered by warranty & no tinkering needed.

CamB
30-05-2010, 10:32 PM

I have just picked up a new V6 tdi with the factory tow package, it came with a "load box" which plugs in between the trailer and car. This enables trailers with LED lights to be used. As previously posted it will be available as a spare part.

Regards,
CamB

sjhuybens
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Had similar issues (left hand indicator not working, then working, tail lights will flash with indicator, hazards would work, no break lights, warning in dash to tell me that one of the trailer globes was blown when it wasnt), but when testing found that the trailer lights worked fine when you manually switch on the head lights (dont use Auto). Had an auto electrican use a mulit meter on the plug and he identified that two wires were in the wrong spots for Australian use. The trailer I was using works on all other cars, as was the 6 wiring harness we tested. VW said that it is standard factory wiring, so you may find you have what ever the international standard is.

Hope this helps

RIS00
22-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I was stung by the LED light issue today when I plugged my jetski trailer in, it has LED lights. My normal trailer works fine. Called the dealer they said I needed an additional plug. Nothing was ever mentioned during the purchase so now I have to outlet $240 just to use my other trailer. It also means I have to have TWO adapters between the car and the trailer. One with the conversion from 13 pin to 7 flat and the other with 7 pin flat male and female for the LED load adapter. Absolute madness.

RIS00
05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Update: After 'discussions' with the dealer they came through and I have received an LED load box free of charge

logger
22-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Does the VW tow package include trailer electric brake controls or does it simply control the lights?

250 downunder
25-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Does the VW tow package include trailer electric brake controls or does it simply control the lights?

No brake controller is included.

logger
27-01-2015, 04:29 PM
A thanks for that. Interestingly two VW delaers including the one with whom I test drove a Touareg today told me the towing package includes electric brake controls. BS. I wish the sales people would dealers would research their own product better. Also he quoted $2990 for the tow package! Ouch.

V10Touareg
17-07-2016, 02:12 PM
I have a Redarc electric brake controller (on dashboard), which sends the right signals, with or without electric brakes on towed items. I also have an intermediate unit for LEDs on towed items.

A dealer (hopefully), or a good Indie will wire the vehicle correctly, the first time - diodes are required if you don't have an electric brake controller or the intermediate unit that I spoke of earlier.

Some installers will wire simply, then cancel scan codes permanently meaning that future problems will be masked.

My ride can tell if any bulb on a towed item is U/S.

Hillbilly
17-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I have a Redarc electric brake controller (on dashboard), which sends the right signals, with or without electric brakes on towed items. I also have an intermediate unit for LEDs on towed items.

A dealer (hopefully), or a good Indie will wire the vehicle correctly, the first time - diodes are required if you don't have an electric brake controller or the intermediate unit that I spoke of earlier.

Some installers will wire simply, then cancel scan codes permanently meaning that future problems will be masked.

My ride can tell if any bulb on a towed item is U/S.

I sincerely hope you bought a Redarc Tow Pro and not the old 1RBH model which in comparison is rubbish.

The difference being the Towpro is proportional , meaning it brakes as does your car depending on how hard you apply the brakes.

The old model you dial up how hard you want the brakes to apply and thats what you get so if you have it set for a nice dry road and you get a sudden shower you will likely lock the van brakes if you dont back it off somewhat.

Been there done that, chucked the crap one in the bin and fitted a decent one.

V10Touareg
17-07-2016, 03:49 PM
I sincerely hope you bought a Redarc Tow Pro and not the old 1RBH model which in comparison is rubbish.
I've got the dial-up model. Thanks for the tip.

Hillbilly
17-07-2016, 06:00 PM
I've got the dial-up model. Thanks for the tip.

They are both dial up

These are the good ones https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/tow-pro

These are the set it hope models https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/user-controlled

I note they have changed the definiton of the old ones

V10Touareg
17-07-2016, 07:01 PM
They are both dial up

These are the good ones https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/tow-pro

These are the set it hope models https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/user-controlled

I note they have changed the definiton of the old ones

Thanks, again.

Toiler
18-03-2018, 06:36 PM
C:frown:ontacted dealer he said it's normal for blinkers to come on with brake lights, this a european thing and I need a device to increase the current to the trailer which costs $250, has anyone else encountered this?

Total Bunkim . . . He is trying to sell you a load box . . should not be required.

Toiler
18-03-2018, 07:07 PM
The Treg Trailer module is "supposed" to be LED compliant. But that depends on the phases of the moon and what leg you are standing on . . you get the drift.

I had extreme issues with a boat trailer. I though I had is sussed like
1. Never plug the trailer in while the engine is running
2. Never plug the trailer in with the light switch on auto - light switch off is preferable

The above would give me reliable connection to the trailer with not dash board error codes but then while driving I would get bulb out indications. Next lights, turn off the motor, restart the car the the problem would go away.

So no consistency.

I have tried a load box as well . . . still issues. The load box makes the LED lights look like normal high power incandescent lights. It should Not be required . . . but at the time I was desperate.

So I rewired the boat trailer.
Removed all the wiring.
Added new wiring OUTSIDE the steel section of the trailer.
Did NOT splice into a cable run for the mudguard clearance lights but ran a separate circuit from the plug for these light - i.e. all lights had a direct run from the plug with no interruption.

No issue since. Can plug in when ever I want - all good.

Make of this what you may but IMO the VW trailer module is overly sensitive to
a) cable distance to LED lights
b) probably the LED lights themselves - brand / quality etc
b) cable runs INSIDE the steel frame upset the controller (inductance etc).

Of course they may have been intermittent cable faults in the original wiring but I did check all this before taking the radical steps I took. I know I still have issues with rental trailers . . . . the load box I bought is my standby in this case but again I still have issues with bulb out errors in this case.