PDA

View Full Version : The colour of my roof is patchy white!!!!

nghia1
13-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi people,

Just wandering if anyone can help me to solve this problem,
If you live in melbourne you'll probably may have seen a blue golf with its roof discolouring into a fady blue -> white colour. When it rains or when i wash my car reverts back to its nice blue colour again....Why does this happen?

How do i fix this problem? and how much will it cost? It's really bugging me because it really looks ugly and embarrassing. thanks for any input

Jarred
13-07-2009, 04:32 PM
it's possible that the clear coat on the roof is starting to lift and come off.

Only way to properly fix that is to have the clear resprayed. Waxing should help protect it for a while, but isn't a proper fix.

GoLfMan
13-07-2009, 05:00 PM
just backing up what Jarred is saying. It sounds like the clear coat is dead mate :)

only way to fix it is to sand off the old clear coat and apply a new one

joshyd-mk2gti
13-07-2009, 09:47 PM
how do you sand away the clear coat only? need to get my bonnet redone, i think.

Jarred
13-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Personally, I'd get it done at a paint shop. I wouldn't even spend my time trying to repair clearcoat, especially on a car that's valuable to me.

Golf Loon
14-07-2009, 08:42 AM
how do you sand away the clear coat only? need to get my bonnet redone, i think.

For the budget option, scape all the clearcoat that is lifting off away with a blade and apply liberal amounts of wax and buff it well. Not as good as a respray , but heaps cheaper.

Mrk_Mickey
15-07-2009, 09:48 PM
To actually sand it back you need to use about 800-1500 grit wetsanding paper and lightly sand the surface down. This will take away the top clear coat, and providing you know what you're doing to a decent extent, it will leave the original colour there. Then you put some clearcoat over the top and buff it down and wax it! (You don't have to wax it, but waxing does protect paintwork bigtime. It's worth the small amount of time in the long run :)).

Jarred
15-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Much easier to get a paint shop to do it. Some jobs are best left to the pro's. And I class spray painting as a hobby of mine! ha!