PDA

View Full Version : Um, what did I do? Electrical problem.

Rick_Eberle
13-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi there...

This morning I tried out a new charger for my mobile, and it worked for a moment, then killed power to the cigarette lighter, the power windows, and my speedo, tacho, fuel gauge etc stopped working.

At the same time, a warning buzzer started going off to tell me that my door was open - that's never worked before.

I took a quick look at the fuses under the dash, but didn't see any that were blown. I will take a closer look, though.

Any ideas? Any fuses or relays that I should be looking at???

Thanks,

Rick_Eberle
13-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Found it... Fuse #14, 15amp.
It's the lighter socket shorting out!

Cupra
13-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Good find, is it the charger or was it a bad fuse?

h100vw
13-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Found it... Fuse #14, 15amp.
It's the lighter socket shorting out!

The socket melted on my Ibiza not long back. I was charging a drill battery out of it at the time.

Not tried the new one out cos the plug melted too bad to fit in it!!

Gavin

Rick_Eberle
14-07-2009, 03:07 AM
It ended up being a bent tab in the lighter socket... I'd never used it before, and I guess it just needed a little push to short it out. All good now, though.

Cupra
14-07-2009, 10:24 AM
It ended up being a bent tab in the lighter socket... I'd never used it before, and I guess it just needed a little push to short it out. All good now, though.

Good result, always handy to hear of the little quirky things people find...you never know when it might happen to your pride & joy..:duh:

Cheers
Phil

Rick_Eberle
14-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Funny thing though, the door buzzer is back to not working again...

Cupra
14-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Funny thing though, the door buzzer is back to not working again...

hahahahahahahahah....don't chase it, you'll only go mad!!!

karmen
14-07-2009, 08:19 PM
buzzing may have come from under dash..... is a relay freakin out due to elec failure

ring ding sound does come on if lights on when u open door.

Rick_Eberle
17-07-2009, 10:56 AM
It sounded like the same warning that sounds if the lights are left on... but it was just going with the door open and the engine running. I'm not too concerned about that, though. I'm just happy to have my gauges and windows working again.