PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan approach angle - Track & Field

DieselTig
13-07-2009, 08:43 AM
I recently put my order for a tiguan diesel with offroad package but I had long arguments with sales people why VW could not just bolt on the bumper that provides 28 degree approach angle with skid plates for gear box and engine. They have this as an alternative in all other countries including NZ and I am at a loss why they cant have this here in AU.:x

How can these people (VW) make decisions on what Australians can and cant drive. How do they know how much off road work we do.

I got rid of my hilux and before that a cruiser to go into something more comfy but still want to have a bit of fun offroad.

I then decided to send a letter to VW HQ expressing my concerns and how they can help their valued clients.

I will keep you posted of the outcome, hopefully I can get VW's attention.

team_v
13-07-2009, 09:10 AM
The tiguan is a designated soft-roader.
If you wanted to tackle anything more serious than soft-roading, you should buy a serious off-roader or a soft-roader with better off-roading capabilities (X-Trail, Prado etc etc).
VWA probably want the toureg to be the designated off-road VW and hence wil not bring the off-road front end for the tig here.

Good luck with the quest though.
If all else fails, you could order it from overseas.

NZTiguan
13-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Personally I wouldn't agree that the X-Trail is a better off-roader than a Tiguan, I've seen several videos now proving the reverse BUT that was with Track and Field Tiguans utilising the off-road package. A lot of tests have just had the standard Tig without the off-road package and in that trim it certainly isn't as good as an X-Trail. That aside I personally wouldn't own a Tig without A: the full track and field package and B: a diesel engine and auto box. Unfortunately it's not as simple as a bumper change or lots of people would be doing it. My only real suggestion is that you attempt to buy through a New Zealand dealer with delivery into Ausi. It seems VERY strange to me that an Ausi dealer wouldn't be able to arrange a special purchase that way themselves but maybe there are some govt rules and regulations that preclude that.

team_v
13-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I only gave the x-trail as an example as most of the reviews have stated it as an off-road capable car.
In the end, you are better off getting a real off-roader if you want to do something more serious than soft-roading.

Delta 4x4 have done some work on a tig so you could have a look at their products.

You could look at the NZ dealer option however i don't know if it is possible to do or how expensive it will be.

NZTiguan
13-07-2009, 10:50 AM
I completely agree that if you want to do "serious" off-road work the Tig is NOT the machine for it in ANY form (Track and Field or otherwise) but the Tig is certainly remarkably capable in the "farm track" or mud and snow type conditions. If you want serious off-road there's very few (if any) vehicles that are "really" capable AND are still OK for normal highway use and I'd be wanting a separate (preferably old and battered and very basic) type machine for that sort of work.

Cheers

DieselTig
13-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Guys, I have been doing serious offroading for the last 20 years with toyotas(Hilux and landcruiser and for a short time a Landrover Defender), but they are not fun to drive around the city roads.
So I had my fun and now migrated to softroaders. I also own and use x-trail and have to say it is very capable offroad, taking it places where other softroaders would think twice but with absence of good ground clearance and low range transfer case it limits climbing and descending etc.
Having the better approach angle on the Tiguan can expand on the possibilities.

So, I didnt buy the Tiguan for its offroad abilities but for comfort, refinement, some offroad flexibility and to some extent the fuel economy of diesel, having a better approach angle would have been a bonus.

I guess I need to adopt my driving habits as I did with the X-Trail.

NZTiguan
13-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I think you're right on the button DieselTig. Must say I was surprised when I saw Ausi wasn't having the track and field model, would have thought it would be at least as popular there as it is here in NZ.

Cheers

DieselTig
13-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I think you're right on the button DieselTig. Must say I was surprised when I saw Ausi wasn't having the track and field model, would have thought it would be at least as popular there as it is here in NZ.

Cheers
Who knows what market politics are played in Germany. I guess when they own a stack of companies including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Skoda and Scania, they can make the decisions and not us.
Despite all that I cant wait for delivery and hand over in October because I had a few test drives of the diesel and it is fantastic.

Check out some of the videos on youtube in Greece, some spectacular descent with the Tiguan. Short but steep hill, I would only get my old hilux to do that.

gerhard
13-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Who knows what market politics are played in Germany. I guess when they own a stack of companies including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Skoda and Scania, they can make the decisions and not us.
Despite all that I cant wait for delivery and hand over in October because I had a few test drives of the diesel and it is fantastic.

Check out some of the videos on youtube in Greece, some spectacular descent with the Tiguan. Short but steep hill, I would only get my old hilux to do that.

The "market policies" are played here in AU by VW Aust, not in Germany. It is them who decides that we don't need the Track Tig, the Scirocco, and who knows what else we don't get.

Complaining to the decision makers is futile, as in any autocracy.

I was hoping with the departure of the last MD that things might improve, but no evidence yet that the new incumbent is any different.

Sanman
13-07-2009, 06:58 PM
The "market policies" are played here in AU by VW Aust, not in Germany. It is them who decides that we don't need the Track Tig

True - VWA would say greater model variety will cannabalise existing Tiguan/Tourag sales rather than creating new prospects

clip
13-07-2009, 07:02 PM
They won't because they bloody well know what aussies are like. They'll be taking it up to the Cape via the Telegraph road, trying to cross the Simpson or traversing every square cm of Fraser Isl. I have owned real 4x4 for last 20 years and have lived in some of these remote areas or had easy access to them, and I can't count the number of times I've had to pull soft roaders out of situations. Beach work is a classic example. Subaru's are the worst offenders (because their owners seem to think that they are invincible and push them way beyond any sense), but Rav4's, CRV's, those dreaded Korean things, and my guess is if they release the track version, we're going to come across Tiguans in the same situation. As I think I said recently, AWD vehicles were designed and developed for European and NA winter conditions, not for thrashing around in some of the extreme aussie remote areas in, or tackling our big soft sand islands and beaches.

NZ, you're right on the money with their use for farm track or mud and snow type conditions - that is exactly what they are fantastic for. But not for 4x4 driving, and us aussies will always push the limits to the max - or till it breaks (and I've seen plenty of them break).

gerhard
13-07-2009, 07:22 PM
They won't because they bloody well know what aussies are like. They'll be taking it up to the Cape via the Telegraph road, trying to cross the Simpson or traversing every square cm of Fraser Isl. I have owned real 4x4 for last 20 years and have lived in some of these remote areas or had easy access to them, and I can't count the number of times I've had to pull soft roaders out of situations. Beach work is a classic example. Subaru's are the worst offenders (because their owners seem to think that they are invincible and push them way beyond any sense), but Rav4's, CRV's, those dreaded Korean things, and my guess is if they release the track version, we're going to come across Tiguans in the same situation. As I think I said recently, AWD vehicles were designed and developed for European and NA winter conditions, not for thrashing around in some of the extreme aussie remote areas in, or tackling our big soft sand islands and beaches.

NZ, you're right on the money with their use for farm track or mud and snow type conditions - that is exactly what they are fantastic for. But not for 4x4 driving, and us aussies will always push the limits to the max - or till it breaks (and I've seen plenty of them break).

Maybe so, but I've been to Cape York via the OTL towing a camper trailer. The only people we saw getting into trouble were LC100s, LC80s, and Troopies. My Jackaroo and my travelling companions in a 60 Series and GU Patrol (no snorkel on this one either) had no issues other than getting bogged once or twice in river sand. Many people told us we would never make it with trailers, but we did as did a lot of other people. We went up in JulyAugust 06, just after the cyclone which devastated Qld and put the Archer river roadhouse and Moreton Telegraph station under water. A lot of the damage had been repaired, but the OTL was as it was.

So it's not the cars at fault, it's the drivers who are unaware of the limitations of even a V8 LC100.

A standard Tiguan would make it to the Tip (not through the OTL though) if driven to its capabilities, the track & field one would be easier. Having said that, though, I would never take a "soft roader" (Tig, X-trail, CRV, Captiva, RAV4, Scenic, Subaru, Territory, etc) on that trip.

Only a "proper" 4WD with low range and a snorkel. Low range and snorkel are not mandatory, but I found low range perfect for hauling the trailer through the crossings and up the banks. Everywhere else is pretty flat going.

But VW are not bringing it because people might go outback? I don't believe that is part of their thinking at all.

DieselTig
13-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Guys, I totally agree with all of you. When I was driving my real 4x4 I used to get up to some tricky stuff and the temptation with my x-trail is always there but I know its limitations. So, I guess a lot of people will have the temptation to give the Tiguan a run for its money.:)

team_v
13-07-2009, 07:58 PM
That might be the reason that VWA haven't provided a proper off-road package for the tig.
It could be in the hope that people recognise the Tig is a soft-roader and if they want a luxurious off-roader they will go the Toureg.

Can you imagine how much the sales of the Toureg would drop if you can do the same thing in a Tig for 1/3 of the price?

This might change however with the planned introduction of the X1 and the Q3 mini SUV's in the next 2 years as tougher, more agile competitors.

High-Fidelity
13-07-2009, 08:19 PM
They won't because they bloody well know what aussies are like.

<snip>

I think it's pure economics. Each different variant that they bring in costs extra. Extra to comply, extra to supply spares for, extra to train mechanics, etc... In Australia, the Tiguan is most definitely a value proposition, and the included value is rather high. The hidden costs of extra model variants would bump the price of all variants up, and VWA obviously had a target in mind when bring the Tiguan here.

They've picked the models that their market research has told them will sell the best. IMO the demographic split of the members here is not indicative of the split of people actually buying the Tiguan. I think it will be used more as a shopping trolley than anything else. Track and Field nose isn't going to help that.

Even though we don't get the Track and Field nose, I think we get a better deal than the NZ'ers, with a bunch of extra combinations available.

Let's not kid ourselves here either. The Touareg and the Tiguan are for servicing completely different markets. They're not two models that would be cross shopped very often.

Ben.

DieselTig
13-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it's pure economics. Each different variant that they bring in costs extra. Extra to comply, extra to supply spares for, extra to train mechanics, etc... In Australia, the Tiguan is most definitely a value proposition, and the included value is rather high. The hidden costs of extra model variants would bump the price of all variants up, and VWA obviously had a target in mind when bring the Tiguan here.

They've picked the models that their market research has told them will sell the best. IMO the demographic split of the members here is not indicative of the split of people actually buying the Tiguan. I think it will be used more as a shopping trolley than anything else. Track and Field nose isn't going to help that.

Even though we don't get the Track and Field nose, I think we get a better deal than the NZ'ers, with a bunch of extra combinations available.

Let's not kid ourselves here either. The Touareg and the Tiguan are for servicing completely different markets. They're not two models that would be cross shopped very often.

Ben.

High-Fidelity, you are correct, it is pure economics. We can make all the noise we want, VW will not change. Market politics in the VW boardroom take precedence.
Well I had enough of big and cumbersome offroaders and opted for a small easy to park even with two kids at the back. Touareg at nearly 2.5 ton is just another landcruiser. The Tiguan is by far a better option together with my hard working X-Trail. As I said before the Track and field nose would have been a bonus but VWA makes the call on our behalf in this case.

Seano
14-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I would wager that VW Oz have not coughed up the many tens of thousands of dollars required to do ADR compliance on Tiguan when fitted with the T&F bumper. Which means...they can't legally supply the T&F version. End of story.

gerhard
14-07-2009, 09:42 AM
I would wager that VW Oz have not coughed up the many tens of thousands of dollars required to do ADR compliance on Tiguan when fitted with the T&F bumper. Which means...they can't legally supply the T&F version. End of story.

That could be right on the money.

However, companies like Renault stump up the ADR bucks for cars they finish up selling 3 of, and they keep doing it.

Maybe the ADR costs are not so big?

A friend just bought a Pathfinder (don't ask me why, haha) and apparently their seat manufacturer went to the wall so they had to get a new one. That caused the car to have to be ADR complianced again, causing a 3 month delay on supply of the "new" Pathfinder.

Sharkie
14-07-2009, 09:54 AM
A dealer (BMW) told me that ADR costs are about $50K per specific model. For instance a 335i sedan is $50K for the auto, $50K for the DSG (whatever the BMW equivalent) and $50K for the manual. So 3 derivatives of the 335i costs $150K to get ADR compliance.

Then the manufacturer has to spread this cost across what it thinks it can sell to make a profit. Hence the reason the 335i is not available in a manual......

I wanted a manual and was told, yes we can arrange for you to get one if you really want it .... the cost will be RRP of the 335i auto + $50K to get ADR compliance because we dont think we'll sell enough manuals to recover the cost ourselves.

So the bottom line is the cost to the manufacturer and then the probability to recover that cost through sales ..... Tiguan with Track & Field given its market demographic probably a tough call for VWA.

I do suspect however that we might see it later as a mid-life upgrade option to freshen the appeal down the track ..... :frown:

NZTiguan
14-07-2009, 10:30 AM
A dealer (BMW) told me that ADR costs are about $50K per specific model.

So the bottom line is the cost to the manufacturer and then the probability to recover that cost through sales ..... Tiguan with Track & Field given its market demographic probably a tough call for VWA.
n:

That's probably why in NZ ALL Tigs are 103kw diesel auto, and the only actual "model difference" is standard or track and field.

DieselTig
14-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I just got reply from VWA and the basic response is "we don't import this model so you can't have it changed at the production line and happy motoring" ha ha ha. No other explanation. Very arrogant response, but take on the chin and move on.

clip
14-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Maybe so, but I've been to Cape York via the OTL towing a camper trailer. The only people we saw getting into trouble were LC100s, LC80s, and Troopies.
hmmm, I lived at Weipa for 4 years and made many, many runs to the tip and other places around that part of the world (fantastic country if you haven't been there), and trust me I couldn't count the number of numb nuts getting stuck by driving inappropriate vehicles because they read a review or spoke to someone that said their little Sportage, CRV or whatever, would be fine. They might be OK in perfect conditions, taking the right track and a careful driver, but they are not 4x4 in any sense of the word. And we got tired of having to rescue them and seeing their poor faces as their SUV was brutally ripped out of the creek/river crossing, mud hole, sand etc. There were some truly very sad moments as they realised the mistake they had made, and then with their wives screaming and crying about what are they going to do now because their brand new SUV was now undrivable.

All I can say is I wouldn't take a Tig anywhere near FNQ unless I was just going to drive it around Weipa. I don't think the chassis, for one, is anywhere near coping with what is needed (it already twists far too much for my liking), let alone it's 4x4 ability. It would do some of it in good conditions, but I wouldn't be bringing it back with me after a few runs of it. The problem with driving up in those parts is it only takes a slight deviation of track around a fallen tree, a slight change in weather, a detour to a more scenic route - and you're buggered. The Tig would be toast.

gerhard
14-07-2009, 07:19 PM
hmmm, I lived at Weipa for 4 years and made many, many runs to the tip and other places around that part of the world (fantastic country if you haven't been there), and trust me I couldn't count the number of numb nuts getting stuck by driving inappropriate vehicles because they read a review or spoke to someone that said their little Sportage, CRV or whatever, would be fine. They might be OK in perfect conditions, taking the right track and a careful driver, but they are not 4x4 in any sense of the word. And we got tired of having to rescue them and seeing their poor faces as their SUV was brutally ripped out of the creek/river crossing, mud hole, sand etc. There were some truly very sad moments as they realised the mistake they had made with their wives screaming at them about what are they going to do now because their brand new SUV was now undrivable.

All I can say is I wouldn't take a Tig anywhere near FNQ unless I was just going to drive it around Weipa. I don't think the chassis, for one, is anywhere near coping with what is needed, let alone it's 4x4 ability. It would do some of it in good conditions, but I wouldn't be bringing it back with me after a few runs of it.

I should have noted that we didn't actually see any soft-roaders attempting the journey, so maybe in our small time window the soft-roader numnuts stayed home :biggrin:

The one we enjoyed most was the LC100 V8 - we bypassed Gunshot with our trailers, but the numnut with the LC100 and large Camper (all brand new gear, he was probably 55yo and fat and stupid) bragged his head off about how he had "done Gunshot" while we were enjoying a dip at Elliot falls, and what pussies we were for bypassing.

Well, he nosed into Nolan's (no snorkel - LC's go anywhere in Aus according to the salesman) without a blind and promptly sucked his fan into the radiator, making a noise/vibration which caused him to back off the throttle, which in turn filled his intake with water and that was the end of the V8 donc. :duh:

He had a long wait for the two tow trucks from Bamaga, and last we saw it was being loaded on the boat for Cairns.

The ones we didn't enjoy were the Troopies, all of which (we saw 3 !!) had rolled after hitting sandy ruts. The drivers all had no idea that you shouldn't wrench the wheel when the ruts are controlling your direction - purely a result of too much speed for the conditions, and front wheel digs in and roly poly results. :frown:

clip
14-07-2009, 07:58 PM
I agree gerhard, troopies are bad news, and kill far too many people too.

And then there's so many funny stories like the LC100 one that I could tell, but all at someone else's expensive of course -so I won't, but some truly "epic" moments of sheer stupidity that had us either rolling in the dirt in laughter or running for cover!

DieselTig
21-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree gerhard, troopies are bad news, and kill far too many people too.

And then there's so many funny stories like the LC100 one that I could tell, but all at someone else's expensive of course -so I won't, but some truly "epic" moments of sheer stupidity that had us either rolling in the dirt in laughter or running for cover!

My previous message was deleted accidentally so here is a quick summary of my original thread: I have been investigating the track and field option and found out that VWA are considering bringing it to Australia next year. For those who are keen on this can wait a few months.:)

Transporter
22-07-2009, 07:37 AM
My previous message was deleted accidentally so here is a quick summary of my original thread: I have been investigating the track and field option and found out that VWA are considering bringing it to Australia next year. For those who are keen on this can wait a few months.:)

Sorry mate that was me, I do apologize for it once again. It was by accident.

Did they mention the first or the second half of the year?

DieselTig
22-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry mate that was me, I do apologize for it once again. It was by accident.

Did they mention the first or the second half of the year?
Transporter accidents happen, not to worry. On the subject of T&F they were a bit kryptic about it but I suspect it will be second half.

DieselTig
22-07-2009, 08:02 AM
In addition to that, the only difference is the front bumper and skid plates and offcourse the offroad electronics option. If anyone else is aware of any other differences I am curious to know.

NZTiguan
22-07-2009, 09:06 AM
In addition to that, the only difference is the front bumper and skid plates and offcourse the offroad electronics option. If anyone else is aware of any other differences I am curious to know.

The main difference is the nose, it's a bit more than the bumper but that's generally it, the "track and field" has an approach angle of 28º versus the normal 18º. The only thing you haven't mentioned that may be considered to be an "extra" in Ausi (standard here in NZ on all models) is the tyre pressure monitoring system which is nice to have on board, Oh and there's a "compass" in the top of the MFD which isn't really much value but I think it's only on Track and Field models ? I believe that the RNS510 with Nav allows you to keep a "track" of where you go off-road as well ( a bit like the breadcrumb trail in a hand-held gps) which could be handy in some desert areas etc but I guess that's on all the models with Nav.

Cheers

Arctra
22-07-2009, 09:13 AM
...The only thing you haven't mentioned that may be considered to be an "extra" in Ausi (standard here in NZ on all models) is the tyre pressure monitoring system which is nice to have on board, Oh and there's a "compass" in the top of the MFD which isn't really much value but I think it's only on Track and Field models ?...

In Aus the $300 "Off-road pack" comes with the TPMS and compass. As I understand it, the T&F comes with the Off-road Pack as standard so it's nothing new really.

Sharkie
22-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I have found the VW tyre pressure monitoring systems to be of no real value.

I had it in the GTI and over 3 years of driving it beeped at me only 1 time. AND then the tyre pressure was actually fine !!!!! :eek:

On several other occasions I found my tyre pressures down 2-5PSI and not a peep from it.

So as far as I'm concerned VW's tyre pressure monitoring system is a waste of money........:duh:

DieselTig
22-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Agree with Arctra. I ordered the off road option and has these TPMS and compass and the 18" wheels also have TPMS.

clip
22-07-2009, 06:03 PM
I have found the VW tyre pressure monitoring systems to be of no real value. ....

I thought you'd be out driving your Tig Sharkie!

Maverick
24-07-2009, 10:11 AM
I have found the VW tyre pressure monitoring systems to be of no real value.

I had it in the GTI and over 3 years of driving it beeped at me only 1 time. AND then the tyre pressure was actually fine !!!!! :eek:

On several other occasions I found my tyre pressures down 2-5PSI and not a peep from it.

So as far as I'm concerned VW's tyre pressure monitoring system is a waste of money........:duh:

It depends on the TPMS system that is used but assuming it's the same as the system used on the GTI/R32's and other models it will be the ABS based TPMS which will only operate once the tyre has lost ~25%. In my experience with the system it's not all that crash hot and can lull people into a false sense of security and they will be less inclined to check their tyres if they don't read the manual and understand how it works.

I have some information here (http://www.my-gti.com/321/)on the differences between the two systems VW use.
http://www.my-gti.com/321/volkswagen-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

And the new TPMS system that I've fitted here (http://www.my-gti.com/747/)(need to post some photos of it installed)
http://www.my-gti.com/747/fitting-a-direct-tyre-pressure-management-system-tpms

Transporter
24-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I installed Schrader AirAware wireless tyre pressure monitoring system in all our VW's.
The system is using tyre pressure sensors in tyres rather than ABS system and for the alarm to sound the tyre has to drop the pressure of 25% or more.
It is good to have it since it will detect small leak in tyres. Reads also the temperature of the tyre.

So, it maybe the advantage when car is using ABS system for tyre pressure monitoring, tyre sealant can be used, no need for the pressure sensors, more reliable.

DieselTig
24-07-2009, 11:36 AM
I installed Schrader AirAware wireless tyre pressure monitoring system in all our VW's.
The system is using tyre pressure sensors in tyres rather than ABS system and for the alarm to sound the tyre has to drop the pressure of 25% or more.
It is good to have it since it will detect small leak in tyres. Reads also the temperature of the tyre.

So, it maybe the advantage when car is using ABS system for tyre pressure monitoring, tyre sealant can be used, no need for the pressure sensors, more reliable.

I,ve checked it on line and looks impressive. I can see it as good investment and will be putting this on my xtrail but I want to see what this Tiguan version is like before I buytwo of them.

Maverick
24-07-2009, 11:49 AM

That's a good looking kit, only minor drawback I can see is you can't see all four tyres at once (see the kit in the post above yours for the one I purchased) but if can do the spare tyre as well. Having said that I rarely look at the TPMS (it's in the storage compartment under the AC controls) but it's nice on GTG's and mountain runs to see the tyre pressures/temperatures separately to compare.

I don't like the idea of the tyre sealant especially the type you leave in the tyre because you may not know that you've had a puncture and drive around on it. For this reason I don't like the new CSC3 tyres that have the gel "built in" (fitted standard to the passat CC and available from tyre dealers for an extra $50 a tyre) as it will repair a puncture and chances are you may not spot it for a long time.

The new CSC3 tyre with the sealant and the in wheel TPMS would be ideal however as you get the benefits of automatic repair and notification that you have a problem. The gel on the CSC3 doesn't move but can be scraped away for a tyre repair in an area.

Transporter
24-07-2009, 03:10 PM
That's a good looking kit, only minor drawback I can see is you can't see all four tyres at once (see the kit in the post above yours for the one I purchased) but if can do the spare tyre as well. Having said that I rarely look at the TPMS (it's in the storage compartment under the AC controls) but it's nice on GTG's and mountain runs to see the tyre pressures/temperatures separately to compare.

You can see all tyres if you press rotate button, than it will show pressure and temperature in every tyre one by one and it will stay in that mode.

Maverick
24-07-2009, 03:29 PM
You can see all tyres if you press rotate button, than it will show pressure and temperature in every tyre one by one and it will stay in that mode.

I wanted them all at once (it changes between temp and pressure and will change between them every few seconds) to save taking my hands off the wheel and my eyes off the road for too long on the drives where you want to watch the tyre pressure/temps. Plus it shows them as they're laid out on the car so I didn't have to watch for an indicator to tell which wheel was currently being displayed and having a really bright display makes it easy to see even in direct sunlight.

How much are the systems that you purchased? And how much are the wheel sensors (or does it come with one for the spare in the box??). I would have liked it to have the ability to do the spare but couldn't find one with my other requirements. Plus this was around AUD$200 including an extra 4 valve stems so was well priced.

I might look into one of the cheap systems that use the screw on sensor (has a small battery) for the spare and use it purely to check the pressure in the spare. I wouldn't use them for road use because they're prone to being snapped off (they stick out) or stolen.

There is a Narva system sold in Australia that looks pretty good as well, many of the ones on ebay are rubbish and the pricing on some of them is excessive. I looked at the OEM one but it was going to be expensive and difficult to fit as you have to put a receiver in each wheel well, the benefit is that if you move the wheels around you don't have to reset the wheel positions but it's a lot of work to retrofit.

Transporter
24-07-2009, 06:33 PM
How much are the systems that you purchased? And how much are the wheel sensors (or does it come with one for the spare in the box??). I would have liked it to have the ability to do the spare but couldn't find one with my other requirements. Plus this was around AUD$200 including an extra 4 valve stems so was well priced.

It was $275 inc GST with 4 sensors. Extra sensor $45.00