PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mark 6 DSG 7 speed rattling noise from engine

cktsi
12-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone else here has a Golf Mark6 118 tsi DSG with a rattling noise issue from the engine?

I think it's caused by the DSG being too enthusiastic about the higher gears (4, 5,6,7) and stubbornly remaining in 6 & 7 when the engine is only spinning 1,200 rpm... even on uphill gradients. This happened even during the initial 1,000 km run in period (which in hindsight I should have used my workaround)

I tried reproducing the rattling noise with the VW service guy, but of course the car had to behave itself during the demo drive :duh:

My "workaround" is to use the tiptronic to manually shift. Of course, I will always know better than the car when it comes to gear selection :biggrin:

The rattling sounds like any small capacity car that "struggles" when selecting an unreasonably high gear for the situation.

I think the only reason VW programmed the 7 speed DSG to allow the car into 7th gear at 1,200 rpm is due to the fact that 200nm of torque is meant to exist at that rev speed - but I think the revs are too low.

pinzvidz
13-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't call it rattling, it's just labouring, that's all. Most manufacturers tend to try and make sure an engine stays in the highest gear possible to maximise economy. However, the DSG ECU should 'adapt' to your driving style over a period of time, and if you drive it anything other than economically, then the ECU should tend to keep it in a lower gear for you in most situations.

MIRSAD
09-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi CKTSI
I am not sure is it rattling noise ... it is difficult to describe noise (especially for me it is my third language)
In my case it sounds like ta…ta…ta like tractor, or 2 stroke engine – just for a few seconds when you accelerate just slightly faster from standing (or constant slow driving) position.
It happened 7 - 8 times in 6 months.
Ones...
I stopped (it was just a few degree up hill) and when I accelerated (slightly faster ... not more than 4000 rpm) the noise was so laud and disturbing that I stopped after few hundred meters to see is my exhaust system still there.
In that few seconds it sounded like I was dragging my exhaust sys. or some metal pot on cobblestone.
Otherwise it is not so laud only disturbing and embarrassing
Same thing I couldn't reproduce it when I was visiting dealer
DO YOU (OR ANYBODY ELSE) HAVE NAY MORE INFORMATION

cktsi
09-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi CKTSI
I am not sure is it rattling noise ... it is difficult to describe noise (especially for me it is my third language)
In my case it sounds like ta…ta…ta like tractor, or 2 stroke engine – just for a few seconds when you accelerate just slightly faster from standing (or constant slow driving) position.
It happened 7 - 8 times in 6 months.
Ones...
I stopped (it was just a few degree up hill) and when I accelerated (slightly faster ... not more than 4000 rpm) the noise was so laud and disturbing that I stopped after few hundred meters to see is my exhaust system still there.
In that few seconds it sounded like I was dragging my exhaust sys. or some metal pot on cobblestone.
Otherwise it is not so laud only disturbing and embarrassing
Same thing I couldn't reproduce it when I was visiting dealer
DO YOU (OR ANYBODY ELSE) HAVE NAY MORE INFORMATION

No, my sound was as if some plumbing from the engine to the exhaust came loose. It reminded me of the noises my old Daihatsu Charade made when I tried to accelerate in 4th or 5th gear, but the engine revs were too low, the exhaust would literally shake itself to bits.

The VW Mascot guys thought it was a form of pinging. After they reflash my engine's ECU, I didn't experience the sound again when I left the DSG in "D"rive. Up till my cylinder compression I have been confidently leaving the DSG in D and it's been picking the appropriate gear 90% of the time & doesn't allow the engine to labour.

Your issue sounds different because it's happening at high revs. My problem only existed when the DSG let the engine labour at 1,200 rpm. I didn't get that sound which resembles metal dragging on a cobblestone.

MIRSAD
10-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Thank You

Maybe I was not clear,

Engine was about 1200 rpm ... and noise started as soon as I press accelerator (lasted only few seconds) until rpm are gone up ...
and that description that you used "plumbing from the engine to the exhaust came loose" and "the exhaust would literally shake itself to bits" is closest description that I can think of

Anyway (sorry, my technical knowledge is poor) but when you said "re-flash my engine's ECU" what does ECU stands for?
TA