PDA

View Full Version : 09 factory Towbar Noise

biggus
12-07-2009, 08:47 PM
To all those who use their Touareg as a tow vehicle ( and what a tow vehicle it is!)

The towbar hitch receiver moves up and down (rocks) around the lock pin (uses the lock pin as a pivot) - so every time you go over a bump in the road, brake or accelerate you hear a "clunk" - very annoying (only rocks 1 or 2mm or so at the towball) If you look at a Hayman Reece hitch, there is the pin plus a lock bolt underneath that tightens after you insert the towball to the receiver making this rocking movement impossible. This solution is silent no matter what the road conditions. Anyone been able to get over this with the factory bar? Doesn't matter whether it's a small trailer or the boat.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Transporter
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum biggus.
Don't forget to use forum's search function, if nobody answers your question.
Also try in here.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/

bobzed57
13-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi biggus

I thought I had the OEM hitch because it was fitted by the dealer and it had the locking bolt. You could easily fit one yourself by drilling and tapping the hole to suit.

Cheers

Jase
13-07-2009, 03:31 PM
The Best Bars hitch that the dealer fitted to my Jetta does the same thing. I'm yet to do it, but I'll soon be putting a small bit of foam around it to stop the play (and clunking). Fitting my own locking bolt may be another option.

VW Convert
13-07-2009, 04:54 PM
The Best Bars hitch that the dealer fitted to my Jetta does the same thing. I'm yet to do it, but I'll soon be putting a small bit of foam around it to stop the play (and clunking). Fitting my own locking bolt may be another option.

That sounds the same as the towbar fitted to my Jetta and I had the same problem when I got mine. There is a locking bolt underneath the towbar, from memory you need an allen key to nip it up and keep the towbar toungue tight.

Clunking noise gone! :biggrin:

Cheers

George

biggus
15-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll have a good look for that allen bolt and hope it's that simple - otherwise shims.

Thanks again.

biggus
22-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Just an update: No bolt or Allen Key. Oh well.....shims. Seems a crazy way to have to fix the problem, but so be it.

Thanks to all.

Moonan
23-07-2009, 07:36 AM
I had the same bar as bob - dealer fitted... These were made by either Hayman Reece or Best Bars (NZ) and had a small threaded hole drilled in the bottom or one corner of the square tube for a small bolt to be tightened against the tongue. As you have observed Biggus it seems the factory bars fitted to more recent Tregs don't have this. It would be easy to get done if you can get to any sort of workshop and would be easier for multiple use than shims.

cheers,
..Neil

schoots
13-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi guys, may have info to help with noisy tow bar. Just had a genuine bar fitted by dealer and the 'tongue' (hitch) is from Best Bars in NZ and yes with the standard hitch pin it rocks and clunks just like the Reece and others do. Supplied with the kit was a locking pin made by Valley Industries in Ca. USA which must be the latest from VW in response to the issue. The lock part of it is a bit of a joke, but the thing completely stops the movement. It's not as simple to remove and install the hitch if you don't want to leave it on full time but it's so much better than that clunking racket.
Of course there's another solution if you can wait. Drive the beach a few times, don't wash off the salt, go thrugh some mud and dust and in 6 months or so there will be so much rust n stuff in there it won't rattle either. Not the best solution I guess.
Schootsie

Transporter
13-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi guys, may have info to help with noisy tow bar. Just had a genuine bar fitted by dealer and the 'tongue' (hitch) is from Best Bars in NZ and yes with the standard hitch pin it rocks and clunks just like the Reece and others do. Supplied with the kit was a locking pin made by Valley Industries in Ca. USA which must be the latest from VW in response to the issue. The lock part of it is a bit of a joke, but the thing completely stops the movement. It's not as simple to remove and install the hitch if you don't want to leave it on full time but it's so much better than that clunking racket.
Of course there's another solution if you can wait. Drive the beach a few times, don't wash off the salt, go thrugh some mud and dust and in 6 months or so there will be so much rust n stuff in there it won't rattle either. Not the best solution I guess.
Schootsie
Hi mate,
could you please post the picture of it, so others know how it look like? I have tow bar but never tow, so I don't know if mine is noisy or not.

Moonan
13-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Sounds the same as the one included in the Q5 pack...

First you insert a captive square threaded nut INSIDE the tube of your tongue (held there by a spring), then when you put the tongue in the locking pin is inserted from the right, and screwed into the nut that is already there. This prevents the rattling. There is a locking socket that is placed over the end at the left, and locked with the key provided. Comes with it's own spanner too.

I'll post a picture when someone reminds me how to attach a file

Transporter
13-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Sounds the same as the one included in the Q5 pack...

First you insert a captive square threaded nut INSIDE the tube of your tongue (held there by a spring), then when you put the tongue in the locking pin is inserted from the right, and screwed into the nut that is already there. This prevents the rattling. There is a locking socket that is placed over the end at the left, and locked with the key provided. Comes with it's own spanner too.

I'll post a picture when someone reminds me how to attach a file
Hi Neil,
to attach picture you need to: 1.click on insert the image - window will open, than 2. insert a link to your google picasa or other picture account you have on the web. If you go with google select middle size image otherwise it is to small if you go for bigger size it will not fit on 15" laptop screen and you have to scroll to see the picture.

schoots
13-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Moonan's description is spot on for the locking pin. The standard rattling thing happens even just by grabbing the hitch and wiggling it up and down, towing not required. I'll try the pic as well just in case.
Schootsie

Moonan
14-09-2009, 09:38 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qdpZW06XroqZZknpo1hxlQ?feat=directlink