PDA

View Full Version : Octavia 07

Socceroo
11-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and recently took an Octavia Elegence 07 model for a test drive. It was a great vehicle to drive.

The dealer has offered me 30,500 for an 07 Octavia six-speed manual Turbo Diesel...I haven't tried negotiating yet.

How much do think I could push the dealer down with the price, I know another dealer once told me that the manuals were harder to get moving and therefore they were more negotiable with the price.

I was thinking of going in hard and offering about 27k...I know redbook have them valued at 23-25k privately. Do you think that would be a realistic price?

wombatoutofhell
11-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Is that the drive away price? How many k's has it done?
I bought an '07 RS wagon late last year. It had 12,500 on the clock and wasn't to AU spec which means it hasn't got rear parking sensors or rear electric windows and the roof rails are black instead of silver. I drove it away for about $31K, which was actually the advertised price.
I think I'd try getting him down a bit more.

Socceroo
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Only 30km on the clock the guy reckons. I'm going in to see the car tomorrow.

jacob_1987
12-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Well mine is very similiar to urs, I got mine for 28,000 will all on-road drive away...
they also threw a few extra things, always remember they'll want to get rid of the excess stock ie. the old shapes... sooo be very persistent, and I'd also say drive around to a few dealers... Also for some reason I have reason to believe that imported vehicles are cheaper in QLD (tax reason I think)... this was 18 months ago

Socceroo
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Jacob you got an elegance model for that much? What were the extras they threw in?

jacob_1987
13-07-2009, 03:32 AM
hmm... not big ones but i got the nets for the boot ( i think they're std not sure), scuff guards, $1000 for black leather & tinting. The car was ex-demo but only had about 200km on the clock. Another thing is that Australians don't like manuals, can't imagine why!!! I guess that's why they were keen to rid of my car.

brad
13-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Hey guys I'm new to the forums and recently took an Octavia Elegence 07 model for a test drive. It was a great vehicle to drive.

The dealer has offered me 30,500 for an 07 Octavia six-speed manual Turbo Diesel...I haven't tried negotiating yet.

How much do think I could push the dealer down with the price, I know another dealer once told me that the manuals were harder to get moving and therefore they were more negotiable with the price.

I was thinking of going in hard and offering about 27k...I know redbook have them valued at 23-25k privately. Do you think that would be a realistic price?
I've got a late 07 Elegance 1.8TSI manual. It was $30452 drive-away in July '08 with 20km on the odo and they gave me $4k more trade-in on my Golf than the VW dealers were offering on a GTI.

The insurance renewal just came in & the market value is $22500. I have 25,000km on the odo.

I wouldn't pay more than $25,000 for the TDI you are looking at.

woofy
13-07-2009, 01:46 PM
TDI is worth more from memory than the 1.8TSI isn't it? If 25k is the limit on private sales, you will pay more from a dealer. Friends of mine paid around 30k for an 08 RS sedan with about 7000km on it from a dealer a month or so ago and that had the sunroof fitted..is this a wagon?

brad
13-07-2009, 01:58 PM
TDI is worth more from memory than the 1.8TSI isn't it? If 25k is the limit on private sales, you will pay more from a dealer. Friends of mine paid around 30k for an 08 RS sedan with about 7000km on it from a dealer a month or so ago and that had the sunroof fitted..is this a wagon?
TDI was $2700(??) more than TSI. Wagon was +$2000(?)

It's a 2nd hand Skoda - like it or not all of us early adopting, trailblazing buyers with such impecable taste are going to take a bath on resale and so should the dealers. As far as i'm concerned, the car I bought new 12 months back is now 2 years old.

The car he is looking at probably needs new front tyres & probably needs the 30k service & brake fluid flush. Maybe ask for an extension of the factory warranty as part of the deal.

woofy
13-07-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't need to think about resale value so much atm, as it will filter down to my wife in another 2-3yrs, but until the GFC settles down all cars will have low resale atm.

The next car I have to think about resale is our 6 which just hit 3 yrs...but again its a few years off yet.

jacob_1987
13-07-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure if this might be an option, but I think the new shape Octavia 1.6 is about $25,000... not sure about the 1.6 engine, but it's a new shape I guess it would keep it's value better than the older shape. I haven't driven the 1.6 but I can imagine what a nugget it would be.

Socceroo
13-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Talking to the guy he didn't seem too eager to negotiate - Matts and Tints were his only offer. Gave me some spill about already losing $500 on the car and couldn't come down any further.

It's a bit frustrating as I have had a fair bit of success negotiating on other more popular models. I'm going to be persistent though.

Socceroo
14-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Okay, I've sealed the deal. Signed and placed my deposit just over an hour ago.

Nov 07 Skoda Octavia Elegance 6spd 2.0TDi
Candy White
36km on the clock
Only extra was matts

27k drive away :biggrin:

I'm very happy with the deal, I've been looking for a car for such a long time. This one just felt right.

They talked me into paint and interior protection. A metal device is being installed which is supposed to prevent rust for the life of the vehicle. I'm probably being a sucker on this part but considering the interior is ivory and I want to keep it for a while i thought it might be a good idea.

That and the girl who talked me into it was gorgeous :duh:

wombatoutofhell
14-07-2009, 09:53 PM
sounds great-well done! So at $30,500 he was losing $500 but he was happy to lose another $3000 for you? How nice! And he added the mats as well!

Socceroo
14-07-2009, 10:29 PM
They actually reduced the price of the vehicle again today. I rang up and the salesman didn't believe it was advertised at that price. So I had to email him the link then he checked with his manager and then was willing to negotiate.

I knocked him down a bit further. I said that most insurance companies have the car valued at 23500, which is a lot of money to lose if the worst happens in the first period of ownership...thank goodness for agreed value :)

I probably could have gone cheaper if I left it a bit longer, but I didn't want to take the risk of missing out on it. In the end its the car I wanted at a price I'm happy with.

Oh and the car has 36km, not 36,000km as I think some people were thinking.

Tick
14-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Congrats on a great deal, you must be chuffed. For the quality of the car and the options of the Elegance you really did get a sensational bargain. I am sure you will enjoy it. :driver:

peter_wrx
16-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Got my 07 Octavia elegance turbo diesel 4X4 manual wagon with sunroof, sensors front and rear for $27500. Best car i've had!

indulis
16-07-2009, 01:26 PM
27k drive away :biggrin:

They talked me into paint and interior protection. A metal device is being installed which is supposed to prevent rust for the life of the vehicle. I'm probably being a sucker on this part but considering the interior is ivory and I want to keep it for a while i thought it might be a good idea.

Good price, but the exterior/interior protection is pretty well known as not being "value for money" and is like the overpriced cables the stores try to sell you with your plasma TV- the store makes some of its money back on these things. A can of scotchguard fabric protection, plus a good can of polish (like a $60 top notch one), coupled with the 10 year (?) body warranty on the Skoda does the same thing.

Maybe the other vinyl protection is OK though, the ivory interior needs a helping hand to keep looking spotless- when it is new it looks fantastic but hard to keep it that way. You'll probably end up making passengers take their shoes off, like people with just-polished floorboards do. :biggrin:

Anyway, you got a great car at a great price, so a few $ spent somewhere else isn't that important!

(waiting for my car to arrive next week- non-metallic blue 2.0 TDI sedan with Xenons and sunroof, DSG)

woofy
16-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm still trying to figure out which bits are leather and which are vinyl in the RS.....as I will treat the leather...once I figure out which bits aren't vinyl though.

Socceroo
16-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Is there any place to get black seat covers fitted for the Octavia?

Tick
16-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out which bits are leather and which are vinyl in the RS.....as I will treat the leather...once I figure out which bits aren't vinyl though.

Hahaha me too. So far I have just been treating all the non fabric parts as if they are all leather. I am pretty sure that the wheel, gear boot, handbrake, bin lid and the front parts of the seat are leather. Not sure about door cards, seat backs etc.

I am waiting on a delivery of car care products which will include interior cleaner and protectant that claims to be highly effective on all types of interior surfaces including leather. I should have it by tomorrow and will let you know after I have given it a whirl.

woofy
16-07-2009, 08:45 PM
The lower sear side bits, the steering wheel, the handbrake, the gearstick, bin lid, the door cards, the headrests, and the sides and front of the upper are all leather...its the non grainy bits like the front of the seats, the backs and a few other bits I think are something else.

I have asked Skoda if they can give me a diagram or something so I know for sure what bits are what. They even sell leather protectant so you'd think with that they would tell you what bits to use it on. Like pretty much every email to SKoda Aus...no reply......and once when they rang me they were amazed I never get a reply....yeah sure.

Tick
16-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Not real good customer service followup. I am not sure if there are any negatives to treating vinyl like leather but so far I have had no dramas and to be honest don't really expect any.

Golf Loon
17-07-2009, 09:07 PM
It's a 2nd hand Skoda - like it or not all of us early adopting, trailblazing buyers with such impecable taste are going to take a bath on resale and so should the dealers. As far as i'm concerned, the car I bought new 12 months back is now 2 years old.

Excellent comment mate. They are great if you are going to keep em a while, but surely a bad gamble if you care about resale. everyone I know who has one is gonna drive it till it dies.

woofy
17-07-2009, 11:38 PM
I reckon in about 3 yrs time, they will be well known enough and be getting enough good used car reviews people will start picking them up. At this stage in Skoda Marketing, they have got the name out, now need to back it up with servicing and getting repeat sales and word of mouth.

So far the head of Skoda has been spouting off a lot of positive stuff, but as far as repeat sales etc, they have been awful at following up owners, providing any help, or building any relationships.....leaving it up to the dealers and the cars themselves....they need to take a leaf out of Mazda HQ and start being proactive. Starting by defining what a maximum cost is for a service and not leaving it up the dealers for guesswork for starters.

Johnny_dust
03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I purchased my Skoda, a black Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDI DSG sedan with 30,000kms on it two months ago from a wholesaler for $19,000. The best purchase I ever made, fantastic car and got a great deal. Only if I just new how to keep that ivory interior clean.

Anyone else with a 2.0 DSG TDI could you let me know what your fuel economy is, I'm averaging 6.4 with mostly city driving.

Also, I heard of an update available for the cars ECU to remove turbo lag, is this something anyone can shed some light on?

Cheers