PDA

View Full Version : Masterchef...The Final Week!

Driven Threads
11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm sure with this shows popularity there are some fans of masterchef that frequent this site. As we approach the final week........................ Who would you like to see win the $100,000? Who deserves to win? Post your thoughts and comments on this series. Personally I would like to see Justine win. She really has the most potential in the competition. :bowdown: Although Poh and Julies have done so well, they have been too inconsistent. Chris has become very arrogant about his abilities. :duh: Julia and Lucas are contenders but Justine deserves it more.

Rocket36
11-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Stupid show. So called "reality television" bites! When will the networks learn?

Spyda
11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
The show makes me hungry. The azn should win, they fat judge guy needs a kick in the face and the guy with the hat reminds me of someone from here.

The show isnt that good and the judges realy grind my gears.

Tim
11-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Stupid show. So called "reality television" bites! When will the networks learn?

Have you watched this particular show? Whilst I normally hate reality TV its actually quite entertaining. Unlike a lot of other "cook off" shows they actually go into the processes involved in preparing some of the dishes. So the show does actually have some substance unlike other reality tv efforts.
I still have the urge to make a nice paella after watching that ep a few weeks ago!

jettapilot
11-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I like it. It doesn't criticise or discourage but gives credit, advice and teaches new skills.

Maybe our members would respond more positively to a new TV show called Master Mechanic where amateurs who like to tune modify their own cars are put to the tests

The Diagnostic Challenge - why won't the cold TDI start?
The Super Tune - make the Toyota Corolla perform like an R32
The Body Shop - make the keyed Mercedes look like new
Presure Test - last to change a wheel by the side of the freeway in the rain leaves the show ...

Any more ideas?

You know you want to ...

goodfella
11-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Had the priviledge of meeting most of the MasterChef contestants last weekend at the Good Food and Wine show here in Syd....

And NO, I am not telling who won!!

Gary and George are great guys off the screen and Matt Preston is also a laugh, just remember its a TV show so what you see isn't always their true personality.

I'm sure with this shows popularity there are some fans of masterchef that frequent this site. As we approach the final week........................ Who would you like to see win the $100,000? Who deserves to win? Post your thoughts and comments on this series. Personally I would like to see Justine win. She really has the most potential in the competition. :bowdown: Although Poh and Julies have done so well, they have been too inconsistent. Chris has become very arrogant about his abilities. :duh: Julia and Lucas are contenders but Justine deserves it more.

Manaz
11-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Justine has goat eyes.

Seriously...

Blitzen
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Meh...You arn't a Master Chef untill you can get 3 good meals and a brew out of and E ration pack!!!

Rocket36
11-07-2009, 06:38 PM
But rat packs only have 2 meals! I still have some canned cheese from 2005 too! lol

Stan
11-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Justine to win

The ten man ration packs in the big tin make a real feed!

Blitzen
11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
But rat packs only have 2 meals! I still have some canned cheese from 2005 too! lol

Amature...You can get 3 meals and a dessert out of a Ration Pack, 2 slices of bread, and a Jaffle Iron. Canned cheese makes the best Margarita Jaffles too. 6 years in Armoured Corps taught me that you can make anythink from a Rat pack...I want to see these guys do the same thing...

Rocket36
11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
I used to eat my full pack in about 12 hours! and nobody else liked the cheese so I ate canned cheese for the next 12 hours hahaha... Some of the funniest times spent sleeping in a 30cm hole in the bush. I think someone got an instant win $1000 packet of M&Ms too. Too bad they're 3 years past the competition once they get into rat packs!

French packs are the best if you can convince a Frenchie to swap!

Swallowtail
11-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Back on topic... :D

Julie has improved leaps and bounds, but I think Justine and Chris would have to be shortest odds.

I don't normally "do" reality TV shows, but I've enjoyed watching this. The people have been good to watch.

Jayse
13-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Reality crapola like Big Brother etc are brain cell killing wastes of time...MC on the other is pretty informative! I'm with most people in thinking Chris is getting a lil big for his boots..but i reckon he'll win. I've been impressed with Julie staying in the comp after surviving so many eliminations! I'd like Poh to win, but i don't think she'll be able to pull it off.

Watching this show has gotten me cooking and trying new things out. (and no, not just the toaster or cooking baked beans on the stove instead of nuking them!:nana:)

lol, Blitzen i think you might be onto something...instead of the $10 challenge they had last night, they should make a top restaurant style dish from a ration pack!

Driven Threads
15-07-2009, 09:34 PM
i'm shattered that justine has been eliminated. :frown: GO POH!!!

Stan
15-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Justine gone:frown:

Just dont get the following for Poh

Julie is nice but doesnt quite have it.

Guess it's Chris for me

gti
15-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah a shame about Justine! Good on Matt Moran and all the best to Justine. As the judges said....mostly all the chefs that tasted Justine's food want her working for them including the judges...that's more than what they can say for the others still in the competition.
What's with Chris' hat? Has it ever been washed or does he just coat it up with the steam and grease during each cooking session....is he trying to create his own trademark?

dubbed
16-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm backing Poh!!! Great cook and a good character!

Jayse
16-07-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm backing Poh too!!
Chris seems to have a bit of a mean steak in him and going on this article (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/836500/masterchef-contestants-turn-on-chris) not many of his fellow contestants like him.
Poh's coming good aswell towards the end of the comp.

Manaz
16-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm backing Poh too!!
Chris seems to have a bit of a mean steak in him and going on this article (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/836500/masterchef-contestants-turn-on-chris) not many of his fellow contestants like him.
Poh's coming good aswell towards the end of the comp.

Channel 9 are undoubtably the worst of the commercial stations at the moment, and aren't above taking cheap shots at the other stations (particularly since they can't compete on the airwaves with content).

I'm more than a little over the sniping each network does at the others of late - they'd do better to get their own ships in order and fight based on their own merits rather than their competitions perceived failings...

brad
16-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Justine gone:frown:

Just dont get the following for Poh

Julie is nice but doesnt quite have it.

Guess it's Chris for me
I read the other day that Justine had 3 chances in the competition. I can only think of 2 - her initial entry & bringing her back in after her first elimination.

So does she get dragged back in later in the week or is there something else I'm missing?

Jayse
16-07-2009, 02:36 PM
yeah, i can only remember 2 aswell.

brad
16-07-2009, 02:48 PM
yeah, i can only remember 2 aswell.

I can understand that they'd much rather have Poh or Justine as their Poster Girls. Julies a great cook but could almost be greasy-Chris's twin sister:bluesbro:.

There's been a few times where favouritism has been a bit too obvious.

Jayse
16-07-2009, 04:13 PM
the water works session last night gave it away a lil....

gjuu
16-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I can understand that they'd much rather have Poh or Justine as their Poster Girls. Julies a great cook but could almost be greasy-Chris's twin sister:bluesbro:.

There's been a few times where favouritism has been a bit too obvious.

Yes if there were a few more blind testings things would have been a bit different...but the producers would want someone with the "look" to win so they can recoup some of the investment through the book/video sales etc....not that i am saying that they influenced the judges as to who they wanted to go through to the next round.....

Yeah a shame about Justine! Good on Matt Moran and all the best to Justine. As the judges said....mostly all the chefs that tasted Justine's food want her working for them including the judges...that's more than what they can say for the others still in the competition.
What's with Chris' hat? Has it ever been washed or does he just coat it up with the steam and grease during each cooking session....is he trying to create his own trademark?

Yeah good on Matt Moran for taking out the 'old sleaze' award....would he have made the same offer to the mumsy type one who has proven to be the better cook? i think not....
</cynicism>

team_v
16-07-2009, 08:37 PM
What The F!!!!!!!!!!
I could have sworn that Julie was going home.

How you can not finish any of your meals and still stay in the top 2 defies me.

MissVuks
16-07-2009, 08:46 PM
WOW!!

I thought Julie was gone but you know what her cookbook idea was fantastic! That's something i would buy and definitely use..

I think Chris has taken what he can from this competition and will be successful with or without being the masterchef winner. Whereas Poh and Julie still have more to gain from still staying in the competition...

ENERG1
16-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I can't believe that bake bean fingers is still there when she didn't

even plate up!!

PATHETIC:brutal:

If i was Chris i would be Pissed!

Luke

team_v
16-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I would be pissed if i was Chris as well.
At least he got the food ready and plated it up in time.

In the end, people will want their food brought out on time as ordered.
She get's through becasue her cook book idea sounds good even though most people go online for their recipes now.

Seems pretty rigged to me.

brad
16-07-2009, 09:45 PM
What The F!!!!!!!!!!
I could have sworn that Julie was going home.

How you can not finish any of your meals and still stay in the top 2 defies me.
Yep, I thought she was gone. But my swmbo picked Chris.

He had too much brown & they reckon it didn't taste terrific. Since when was there more points for half a job that tasted OK?

Manaz
16-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Yep, I thought she was gone. But my swmbo picked Chris.

He had too much brown & they reckon it didn't taste terrific. Since when was there more points for half a job that tasted OK?

They noted at the start that what they said was going to carry some weight. Julie's book idea and spiel about why winning was important to her probably helped a lot.

I think Chris took a big risk cooking in pressure cookers when he hadn't done so before, and that's what lost it for him.

I'd eat at his restaurant, if I could stomach Melbourne! Being a Melbournian does explain the arrogance and over-inflated opinion he had of himself!

:wasntme:

Driven Threads
17-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I was shocked to hear about what happened in masterchef last night! Missed the ep due to our photoshoot in melb. Chris is undoubtedly the better chef than Julie. It does seem unfair to him when julies dishes were incomplete. He has been a smug the last couple of weeks though. Anyways...its the Poh train for me! GO POH!! Go you good thing!!

I think Chris took a big risk cooking in pressure cookers when he hadn't done so before, and that's what lost it for him.

I'd eat at his restaurant, if I could stomach Melbourne! Being a Melbournian does explain the arrogance and over-inflated opinion he had of himself!

:wasntme: Thats because melbourne produces the best food in the best resturants in the country!! :nana::nana:

Jayse
17-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Sydney: "Being a Melbournian does explain the arrogance and over-inflated opinion"

Melbourne: "Kettle, meet Pot!"
:nana:

Yeah, missed it last night also due to photoshoot, good thing they show the full ep on the website: http://www.masterchef.com.au/episode-70.htm

Cheers,
Jayse.

gti
18-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Poh has already been booted.
Julie has been one of my top 3 faves on the show so I am backing her to win.

mscabrio
18-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Masterchef has been rigged from the very start for Poh to win. Firstly, she was asked to do a second audition when she firstly delievered crap food to the judges and she was given another life line when she was bought back. She is such a sore loser. When she is winning or getting praise from the judges she is all smiles but when things don't go her way (remember her disaster with Andre???) then she comes across as a little storm cloud. It also seems interesting that all of the other contestants are forced to cook food from outside of their prior skills but she continually is able to produce food that she is familiar with (ie: Justine is a french food expert but she didn't get to showcase her skills there, or Kate was a dessert freak but again was expected to be able to produce other meals). I just can't see the big deal with Poh. In the pressure challenges, her meals always look like a train wreck during the cooking process but when they are plated they are fantastic. I wonder if the judges are preparing them for her????

GO JULES!!!!! BTW .... I met George at the Melb good food and wine show and he is HOT HOT HOT ......

racerrachy
19-07-2009, 09:44 AM
pretty sure you're all homo's for watching that show.

i can proudly say i have never watched more then 20 seconds of it, and i have a vagina. I'm suppose to be the one cooking here.

Driven Threads
19-07-2009, 11:54 AM

i can proudly say i have never watched more then 20 seconds of it, and i have a vagina. I'm suppose to be the one cooking here.
LOL!!! :eek: FINAL IS ON TONIGHT!! WOO HOO!!! :drinkbeer:

ENERG1
19-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I hope POO POO wins tonight! :)

Wouldn't want sausage fingers sweating on my food:eek:

Luke

mscabrio
19-07-2009, 06:38 PM

Def not a homo. Only watch it to see George ......

Driven Threads
19-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Oh what a finale! Although I wanted Poh to win I am really happy for Julie. She has come so far in the competition. Poh really should not have deviated from the recipe in the pressure test. Masterchef is awesome! BRING ON THE NEXT SEASON!

Manaz
19-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Poh really should not have deviated from the recipe in the pressure test.

That was her undoing for sure. A shame, since she really knew she shouldn't have been doing it (and "winging it" had been her undoing so many times before - she really should have learned)...

vwthunder
19-07-2009, 10:06 PM
I wanted Poh to win :frown:
I like her and her smile, she is so sexy lol

brad
19-07-2009, 10:23 PM

More metro than homo.

What do you cook with your vagina? Hot dogs?

team_v
20-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Oh what a finale! Although I wanted Poh to win I am really happy for Julie. She has come so far in the competition. Poh really should not have deviated from the recipe in the pressure test. Masterchef is awesome! BRING ON THE NEXT SEASON!

It was such a ****e finale.
You could tell it was rigged.

The judges gave Julie heaps of hints and gave none to Poh, especially in the finale.
Julie was told about her pastry sticking, her sorbet being grainy and Poh wasn't even asked why she put the chocolate in the fridge!
In the finale of a competition to win 100K, no one in their right mind would ignore a recipe in front of them that they were told to follow explicitely unless they had been told to lose or paid off.

Also if you have seen the previous episodes, you can see allt he mistakes Julie makes and still manages to get through each week.
It makes for a home style "uyseable" cook-book at the end and a real life person who wins so they get heaps of people entering next year.

Should have been Justine who won imho.

V®6
20-07-2009, 08:48 AM
It makes for a home style "uyseable" cook-book at the end and a real life person who wins so they get heaps of people entering next year.

I agree, you could tell Julie was going to win as in the end it basically came down to who has the more marketable cookbook coming out of the competition.

ENERG1
20-07-2009, 08:52 AM
They showed Chris's face at the end,did anyone see that!!

His face said it all:eek:

PRICELESS:brutal:

Luke

Manaz
20-07-2009, 09:31 AM

The judges gave Julie heaps of hints and gave none to Poh, especially in the finale.
Julie was told about her pastry sticking, her sorbet being grainy and Poh wasn't even asked why she put the chocolate in the fridge!

You're confusing reality with what they choose to show on TV. There's a lot that goes on that doesn't get shown on TV - the editing was (obviously!) done after the fact to show what the producers decided they wanted to show - not necessarily what actually happened.

In the finale of a competition to win 100K, no one in their right mind would ignore a recipe in front of them that they were told to follow explicitely unless they had been told to lose or paid off.

You'd be surprised what pressure can do to an otherwise sensible person. Remember Trevor and the bait episode?

Also if you have seen the previous episodes, you can see allt he mistakes Julie makes and still manages to get through each week.

They all made plenty of mistakes. One of the guest judges was on Channel 9 this morning, he got asked why Julie got put through instead of Lucas in the "two pies" challenge - he said that in the end, Lucas made two bad pies, Julie made one good pie and one bad one, and so she went through.

Manaz
20-07-2009, 09:33 AM
They showed Chris's face at the end,did anyone see that!!

His face said it all:eek:

PRICELESS:brutal:

Luke

Chris was another example of the producers cutting the footage to show what they want to show (not just in the finale, but generally throughout the series). Every show needs a villain - Chris became that villain.

Spyda
20-07-2009, 09:55 AM
The winner was someone that appeals more to the Australian audience. A fat, ugly, very friendly, aussie mum of three. She should have been out a LONG time ago, she made a lot of bad mistakes over and over again but got away with it because that's how the script was written. Did anyone really think they would let an azn chick win?

Tim
20-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Im looking forward to reading Julies upcoming cook book.
I hope all of the methods in her recipes include steps like

shaking uncontrollably because youre so nervous
sweating all over the food you are cooking (i think thats her secret ingredient!)
having a bit of a cry when something doesnt work out properly

I didnt watch a lot of the show. But I was really hoping someone like chris would win. He just seemed to have a grip over what he was doing moreso than a lot of the other contestants.

DubSteve
20-07-2009, 10:22 AM
More metro than homo.

What do you cook with your vagina? Hot dogs?

Hahaha win comment!

Does this mean your butch?

racerrachy
20-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Hahaha win comment!

Does this mean your butch?

just cos you all watch masterchef doesn't mean you have to be horrible.

& yes, i cook hotdogs in my vagina:)

DubSteve
20-07-2009, 11:23 AM
just cos you all watch masterchef doesn't mean you have to be horrible.

Don't watch Masterchef but your second comment was WIN! :drinkbeer:

gti
22-07-2009, 06:02 PM

....so you don't think the show has given viewers the perception that all the help was given to Julie and as a result people have perceived that none was given to Poh. Remember Poh and Julie have known for a while who had won.

gti
22-07-2009, 06:04 PM
What I think was unfair with all the tasting challenges was....2nd person had the clear advantage as they didn't need to state an ingredient...so whoever goes 1st and gets it wrong is automatically out. I think the 2nd chef should have guessed an ingredient & if they get it wrong too keep going until one gets if right and so on & on.

brad
22-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I was at the movies last night & there was a wine ad (for Yalumba) in the pre-movie screening.

The final frames showed a group of people at a long table - I'm sure the laughing asian girl in the final few seconds was Poh. Apparently the ads been out for ages (I don't get to the movies very often).