PDA

View Full Version : RNS510 GPS InAccuracy

hannson
11-07-2009, 02:09 AM
Hi,

I've got an RNS510 fitted to replace the original RCD310.

What we've noticed is even with about 7 satellites locked on with a 3D fix, we are usually more than 100 meters away from known GPS co-ordinates.

We used Holux, Garmin and other devices.. which had very similar GPS co-rodinates read out in a specific location.. but the RNS510 gave a very different reading.. > 100 meters away.

Did anyone experience a similar issue? (about 2 seconds North, and 5 seconds East out-of-position).

Thanks all in advance for any feedback/suggestions :)

benno
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi,

I've got an RNS510 fitted to replace the original RCD310.

What we've noticed is even with about 7 satellites locked on with a 3D fix, we are usually more than 100 meters away from known GPS co-ordinates.

We used Holux, Garmin and other devices.. which had very similar GPS co-rodinates read out in a specific location.. but the RNS510 gave a very different reading.. > 100 meters away.

Did anyone experience a similar issue? (about 2 seconds North, and 5 seconds East out-of-position).

Thanks all in advance for any feedback/suggestions :)

It could be your GPS datum... might be worth looking through the settings for this.

hannson
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
It could be your GPS datum... might be worth looking through the settings for this.thanks benno!!

That's what I thought too.. but I've not idea what settings to check with regard to this..

Cheers!

Maverick
12-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Check in the setup screen (the one on startup).
Check the GPS antenna location.
Check the version of firmware (see in the startup setup).

hannson
12-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Check in the setup screen (the one on startup).
Check the GPS antenna location.
Check the version of firmware (see in the startup setup).
hi.. er..

i can get into the setup screen.. as well as the secret setup screen (vagcom adaption channel 50 set to 1)..but there is no "Datum" setting.

If you are referring to Almanac.. the status has been VALID, even with the GPS antenna disconnected for more than 7 days.

1. GPS antenna (when connected) is at dash and can connect to about 7 satellites of 11, with a 3D fix

2. firmware 1100

Guy_H
13-07-2009, 09:33 AM
hannson,

This is a known issue with the Singaporean maps on the RNS510 - when I was recently there, I experienced it in 2 new VW's fitted with the RNS.

I don't know why they can not sort it out.... But the cars we were in had a Tom Tom stuck to the windscreen for directions as well..:frown:

Guy_H
13-07-2009, 09:34 AM
P.S. - depending on your version of RNS (Part number) VW have now locked you out of the "startup - setup screen"

Swallowtail
13-07-2009, 09:35 AM
P.S. - depending on your version of RNS (Part number) VW have now locked you out of the "startup - setup screen"

Guy - am I right in saying that with the latest ones you need VAGCOM to do RNS510 setup?

Guy_H
13-07-2009, 09:38 AM
No, even by changing the adaptation setting's it just won't allow you in.

We are yet to find out if there is any access at all.

We now have the latest ones here "C" versions & they are locked out as well. Only the "no prefix" & "A" would let us in there (up to a certain firmware level)

Swallowtail
13-07-2009, 09:39 AM
How bizarre...

hannson
13-07-2009, 02:42 PM
No, even by changing the adaptation setting's it just won't allow you in.

We are yet to find out if there is any access at all.

We now have the latest ones here "C" versions & they are locked out as well. Only the "no prefix" & "A" would let us in there (up to a certain firmware level)wow... is there anyone using this version that is not able to get into the "secret menu"?

Swallowtail
13-07-2009, 04:01 PM
If by the secret menu you mean hold the setup key for 30 seconds or whatever it is, then no, it doesn't work for me.

hannson
13-07-2009, 05:41 PM
If by the secret menu you mean hold the setup key for 30 seconds or whatever it is, then no, it doesn't work for me.
*nod* ... oh dear.. is this after the vagcom change adaptation channel 50 to "1" on the RNS510? .. that's not a good sign... :(

Is yours the "C" version as well?

Cheers