PDA

View Full Version : vr6 oil drinking?

gman
10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
hey all,

is it common for vr6's to consume engine oil?

my car seems to slurp a bit, despite not having any (obvious) leaks, with me topping it up every once in a while.

what are your experiences?

cheers all,
gman

wakdog
10-01-2007, 10:58 AM
well i have not had any loss of oil since i replaced my rocker cover gasket and i have not heard of VR6s consuming oil....

golfvr6
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
mine doesn't really eat up oil either

Bora Sport
10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I've had two. First one written off at 122,000. Second one sold at 185,00k's. I never put oil in either between services.

Tim
10-01-2007, 05:59 PM
from what i understand its normal for a vr6 to consume a little oil. maybe a litre every few thousand kms. Ive noticed with mine it seems to make a difference in how u drive it. If I flog it every day then i tend to need to top up the oil between changes. If i just put around town it doesnt seem to use any.

DubSteve
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
What about coolent is that the same?

KI11Z
10-01-2007, 09:44 PM
I think maybe mine likes it's oil also! Not good when you buy expensive oil :mad:

I wouldn't think it should use up coolant? Not like the oil anywayzzz...:?

h100vw
10-01-2007, 10:01 PM
i have not heard of VR6s consuming oil....
I can imagine that with the low numbers of VRs in Australia it's not considered a common thing.

Oil consumption can be a problem on VRs and it is pretty common on high mileage, 160000Ks and up.

I know of plenty in the UK that have high consumption due to bore wear on the rear cylinders due to the angle that they run up the bore. Usually on number 6 is worst.

Irregular oil changes contribute to this.

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=608836#608836

Here is one in particular belonging to a mate of mine.

The good news with a 2.8 is that there are oversize pistons. On the Corrado which is already a 2.9 you are into big money for aftermarket pistons.

Often there is piston slap to accompany the oil consumption.

Gavin

Golfer
10-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm gonna put my not-so-knowledgable 2 cents worth in. I hope Seb or someone who knows better will correct me if i'm wrong.

When i was looking at the Mk3's i read an interesting article that stated that Mk3 golfs introduced a "Long service interval" system whereby the car was set up to deliberately burn oil under challenging driving situations, so that oil may be replaced, over the 15,000km interval, by the owner in order to keep the oil supply fresh and maintain the integrity and properties of the oil. This way, an oil change only had to be conducted once every 15K, as long as the owner was conscientious and topped up their oil as required. It was warned, however, that if the owner neglected the top up, and ran out the full 15K, the oil level could get too low, and oil sludge could cause premature wear in the engine. I think this may be the reason why we just service every 5K, we never notice the small amount of oil that is burned.

I could be wrong though...

I changed the oil in my 2L today. Out with the black, and in with the honey :D Am considering stage 2 cam and chip to keep up with you VR6 guys (in a while...) Just for information's sake, i run Penrite HPR15, but when i mod the engine, I'll switch to Penrite SIN15. Can't justify $70 for 5L at the moment...

Thanks for listening to my ramblings...
John :cool:

sukebe
10-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I go through a bit of oil, dependant on how hard I drive. Since my car is a weekender (mostly), its gets quite a flogging, and I top up about 0.5lt between oil changes (5000km).

DubSteve
11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
My coolent I have noticed has gone down a bit since the last time I put some in maybe the width of a finger. Is this common?

gman
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
thanks all for your informative and interesting replies!

both my oil and coolant levels seem to have dropped since i took my car down to the snowy mountains and enjoyed driving on some challenging roads.

when i got in the car the day after having arrived near thredbo, the coolant level was low enough to trigger the dash warning light. i noticed that there was some splash marks on the components surrounding the coolant reservoir - i wonder if it had boiled over whilst i was driving hard the day earlier..

hope the note about the engines being designed to burn a little oil is right!

Golf Houso
11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
My Mk3 8v 2.0l also burns oil, when i first got the car the oil was like black yohgurt it was terrrible... I ended up changing the oil immediately after i got the car, following that the car consumed a litre of oil every 900-1100k's so one would assume that after a long trip such as one to brisbane or melbourne from sydney that you would generally have to top up the oil by a litre. But after i changed a few seals, the filter and what, not the car was burning much much less oil, even considering it had done 137k. The fact that the car burns oil and also has a rather small oil capacity of 3.8l its not surprising that many golfs have been driven into a halt due to a lack of engine oil. As was almost certainly the case with my car...

Bora Sport
11-01-2007, 09:07 PM
I have never had to put oil in the Vento between services. I change the oil and filter myself every 15,000k's. I have always used Mobil 1 or Shell Helix Ultra. Still its only just ticked over 294,000k's so it just about run in. I admit that a large number of the k's are highway driven. We have done 2 fully laden (wife plus 2 kids) trips to Sydney and back from the Sunny Coast.

My Bora is now showing 127,000k's and I've never put oil in it between services either....

h100vw
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Oil consumption is all about the way it was run in. A good beating from new and regular servicing is the key.

My mates GSXR750 ran far better than mine. He nailed a 911 on the way home from the shop and mine was dribbled around and couldn't stay with his at all.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
I know it's going to open a can of worms but if I ever get a brand new engine in something, I'll be doing what this fellas recommends.

Gavin

Bug_racer
12-01-2007, 08:11 AM
If it burns oil put something thicker in !
The S3 burns 10w30 but is fine with 15w40 !

I dont recommend long life servicing so forget about it . The oil is $$$ and hard to get , ends up costing the same as regular servicing

monkeysrus
17-01-2007, 07:23 PM
My vr used to drink oil so i changed to 10/40 Motul 4100 oil. Has been much better since.

gman
17-01-2007, 08:44 PM
mm my car seems to have slurped a litre since the last oil change..

doesn't seem worthwhile bothering changing to a more expensive oil - i'm happy to just top up every once in a while.

gpk_gti
17-01-2007, 08:55 PM
I agree with TIM.my vr6 used to drink about 500-1000ml every 5000kms,but I used to thrash it HARD!:D ! never less than 4000rpm.I used to change the oil every 5000kms and filter every 2nd change.motor worked like a quartz watch.coolant was never a problem though.
edit.. I thrashed it from new and serviced regularly, h100vw you are right.I didnt believe it when a mate told me to do it before I bought my VR6 but after I bought it I just fell in love with the ballsy sound of the vr

DubSteve
20-01-2007, 06:40 PM
What engine oil does the vr6 use I'm running a little low :(