PDA

View Full Version : my MkVI mini review, order, delivery times and MY10?

tofo17
09-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Hi all,

I haven't posted for some time, probably since not long after getting the MkV Jetta for the wife! That's just had it's 2 year service today (despite only having about 24k on the clock) and is going great.

We've finally decided to replace my daily driver (2000 model Laser) with something new. As I wanted something "sporty" and was limited to a ~$30k budget I didn't at first consider the MkVI Golf. A combination of the lack of professionalism at other dealers and a lack of (perceived) quality of other cars was leading me to despair. Then I read the Wheels comparison of the Mazda SP25 with the 1.4TSI, which the Golf won, and that got me thinking.

So down to the VW dealer I went. I was greeted quickly and attended to but didn't feel I was being sold to. Without any preliminary "let's work up a quote" I was offered a test drive, in stark contrast to many other experiences where it felt like I had to commit to buying the car before being allowed to drive it.

Given I regularly drive the MkV Jetta I was expecting a similar experience. And is some ways this held true. The MkVI certainly felt familiar but there is an immediate sense of improved quality and refinement. No doubt you've read dozens of descriptions about how quiet the MkVI is... they are no exageration. The 7 speed DSG (I'm after a manual but on my first test drive they didn't have one) seems smoother than the 6 speed DSG on the Jetta, less hesitation on take-off as well. I can't really judge ride quality improvements as the Jetta has the sports suspension and 18", suffice to say the Golf was superbly supple but still chuckable and sporty. My first test drive car had ACC and I tried all settings. They do make a difference but it didn't feel dramatic. I mostly noticed meatier steering on the sport setting.
Of course the 1.4TSI is the jewel in the crown in many ways, but being use to the APR fettled Jetta (flat 14 down the quarter last time I tried) I had anticipated it feeling lack lustre. OK, no doubt it was slower than the Jetta but still, what a peach! The first time I heard the supercharger I couldn't help but smile, and it doesn't mind a rev.

A few days later I took a manual for a drive to validate what I had read in most reviews, that it was sweet shifting with a nice spread of ratios. This car also had park assist, which was reasonably ammusing and no doubt something the wife will want when we replace the Jetta.

So I've put down my money and placed an order for a Shark Blue 118TSI Comfortline 6 spd manual. Due to budget constraints (GFC and all) the metalic paint is the only "option". The Sport Package would probably have made the cut had budget permitted ($2k for 17" wheels, sports seats and sports suspension is a great deal!).

So now we wait, probably until October! I'm told that the car will be MY10 but as I understand the changes, if any, will be very minor.

As a side note, I used the VW UK site to kit up an equivalent spec car (SE with some options) and it came to about GBP20k or just over AUD$41k.... so it appears we get a pretty good deal in Australia!

Cheers,
tofo

Cam
09-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Congrats on the purchase mate!
I haven't driven a MKVI yet, but from some of the reviews I've been reading they're getting a good rap.

How does the interior feel? From the pics I've seen it looks like its a bit more stylish than the MKV but still pretty well built?
How is the boot size?

Shame you couldn't have added the sports package it sounds like an excellent deal, but I can understand financial constraints.
:)

phaeton
09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Congrats Tofo :D

guliver_twist
18-07-2009, 12:06 PM
If budget allowed the sports pack is worth it.. really love the static cornering lights as well!!
either way, top choice m8.
you will love it.. puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive..
I've nearly driven my gf insane raving about the car :)

tofo17
20-07-2009, 04:51 PM
If budget allowed the sports pack is worth it.. really love the static cornering lights as well!!
either way, top choice m8.
you will love it.. puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive..
I've nearly driven my gf insane raving about the car :)

Yep, would have liked the sports pack but I'm sure given time I will get APR chip, sports suspension (Koni FSD and Eibach springs perhaps?) and some larger wheels... guess I'll miss those static cornering lights though! Sounds like you've got pretty much every option, very jealous!

What are your thoughts on the manual as a gearbox compared to other manuals you've driven? Most people seem to be going for DSG, which I get, but I'm looking forward to having a manual again, it's been a few years. The possibility of putting out some large torque figure post APR helped me rationalise not getting a DSG. It'll be interesting to see how the new 7 spd holds up to mods.

cheers,
tofo

guliver_twist
21-07-2009, 01:24 AM
I think the manual gear box is the right pick for me... Tried the DSG and it just irritated me not having the control you get in a manual and the occasional hesitation to kick in.. A lot of ppl that love their DSG also have paddles at the wheel and can use them to pick their **** points..The golf VI(non GTI) does not have that option. That said i did find the DSG to be bloody quick and very effective 90% of the time. Also really awesome how it engine brakes in sports mode..With the DSG i felt I either had to be in economy mode or sports mode, and more often then not my driving style is somewhere in between.

The manual gear box is super smooth and so very precise...Also I love the leather gear knob..I am definitely happy with my choice of manual :) I like the involvement of a manual and the satisfaction in controlling my car to that finite degree..

I was also interested in the APR chip, but am currently happy with the power from the little twincharger. I will possibly get it chipped but may leave this down the track to refresh that excitement for the car...Its nice knowing you have something more to look forward to...