PDA

View Full Version : Whining DSG box on Golf TDi VI Series

gogil1
09-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi all
I am new to the forum so let's see if it's as good as the Nissan Patrol Forum.

I have a new Golf TDi (VI Series) with DSG box. When traveling at slow speeds, particularly slowing right down when entering a driveway for example) there's a whine that comes from the box. This is common with old and worn gear boxes but in a new VW??? I think it has something to do with the gears responding to the change in directional load (i.e. load decelerating).

Is this normal or do I take it back to dealer again.

There has been another problem with the car stalling when I change from Reverse to Drive in the morning. Just doesn't like going to work. Guess I can sympathise!

Thanks

G

neil
09-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi all
I am new to the forum so let's see if it's as good as the Nissan Patrol Forum.

I have a new Golf TDi (VI Series) with DSG box. When traveling at slow speeds, particularly slowing right down when entering a driveway for example) there's a whine that comes from the box. This is common with old and worn gear boxes but in a new VW??? I think it has something to do with the gears responding to the change in directional load (i.e. load decelerating).

Is this normal or do I take it back to dealer again.

There has been another problem with the car stalling when I change from Reverse to Drive in the morning. Just doesn't like going to work. Guess I can sympathise!

Thanks

G

I doubt you will be back to the pissan forum.

But seriously you have a problem if the DSG is stalling. Have had mine 19 months now and never had a stall. and have never heard a whine from it.

And by the way Welcome.

gogil1
10-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks Neil - for reply and the welcome

VW here in Cairns are also stumpped. It seems that I am the first to report such an issue.

I wonder if there is something amiss with the "Hill Assist" function. It does seem as though the car is "stuck" and so, when it's cold, it stalls!

This is a series 6 TDi and has only 3500km.

Otherwise it seems like a good little motor.

G

neil
10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks Neil - for reply and the welcome

VW here in Cairns are also stumpped. It seems that I am the first to report such an issue.

I wonder if there is something amiss with the "Hill Assist" function. It does seem as though the car is "stuck" and so, when it's cold, it stalls!

This is a series 6 TDi and has only 3500km.

Otherwise it seems like a good little motor.

G

I don't think we have to many TDI mk6 as yet but I was under the impression
the drive train was the same as the mk5 for the TDI.
The DSG is still the 6 speed but is it still a wet clutch or have they gone to a dry clutch like the 7 speed petrol models.
This forum is very knowledgeable and if there had been some problems like your
I would have thought there being a few more responses by now.
You might have to look at a few USA forums for your answers.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?
or http://forums.tdiclub.com/register.php?a=act&u=63356&i=72027691

Keep us updated.

hairywalrus
24-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Not a Mk6 but my Mk5 R32 DSG whined at slow speeds, mainly in 2nd gear, from new. Sounded like an old manual gearbox when in reverse. After a couple of thousand kms the gearbox started to cut out intermittently i.e. transmit no power to wheels which was quite scary. After several trips to the dealer and various tests, VW came back with the diagnosis that the gearbox was faulty and replaced the complete transmission.

The new gearbox doesn’t whine at all, so a pronounced whine is definitely not normal.

golfmk6
04-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi all

Thanks

G

Hi, Yes we have the same issue when the car is cold we notice it takes 2-3 seconds to go from drive to reverse and the other way around. we now put it into gear then wait then drive off.. but it's only when cold...

No sound when driving slow here...

gregozedobe
05-08-2009, 12:30 AM

Do you get Hill Hold with a DSG ? Seeing as you don't have a clutch to work as well as the brake and accelerator I wouldn't have thought you would need it.

vdude
01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I've had endless problems with my whinning (the good folks at VW will tell you it's a "characteristic noise") Polo TDI - see: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=29321&highlight=gearbox+whine but it's a 5spd manual. The fact that the noise is at 50-60km/h and around 85+km/h suggests that maybe it's an internal diff problem. Whatever the case, it's not something one expects of a new car and you should take it back. One person has had luck in getting their box fixed but the rest of us are facing the prospect of bringing in Consumer Affairs to deal with the recalcitrant folks at VW headquarters. Reminds me of Sargent Shultz " I hear nottthinnn...". I was advised to turn on the radio to drown out the whine but that doesn't work unless I crank the volume so loud I hear nothing else.

It's a lemon of a gearbox, and a blot on the name of VW. Get your money back or be prepared to live with the "characteristic noise".
Cheers