PDA

View Full Version : Sensis V1 vs V2 maps

cmrtig
09-07-2009, 08:06 AM
hi,

will version 1 maps work in the RNS510 and what is the biggest difference between versions 14/1 and 15/2? is it noticeable? the reason i ask is that i intend to upgrade to the RNS510 in my Tig and have access to the V1 dvd, but the dealers want about $1200 for the V2 dvd, which is beyond a joke considering dealers in Europe are selling the latest maps for about 260euro and in the US for 200us. hence, just wanted to know the difference between the two versions and if spending an additional $1200 is worth it.

thanks in advance!

Swallowtail
09-07-2009, 08:36 AM
hi,

will version 1 maps work in the RNS510 and what is the biggest difference between versions 14/1 and 15/2? is it noticeable? the reason i ask is that i intend to upgrade to the RNS510 in my Tig and have access to the V1 dvd, but the dealers want about $1200 for the V2 dvd, which is beyond a joke considering dealers in Europe are selling the latest maps for about 260euro and in the US for 200us. hence, just wanted to know the difference between the two versions and if spending an additional $1200 is worth it.

thanks in advance!

$1200! :eek: Have you tried other dealers?

cmrtig
09-07-2009, 08:53 AM
yep! all about the same, between $1000-1200. even the parts people lol at this price and sound sorry. the v1 maps are only $100 cheaper but unavailable now!

Swallowtail
09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
yep! all about the same, between $1000-1200. even the parts people lol at this price and sound sorry. the v1 maps are only $100 cheaper but unavailable now!

Wow, that's ridiculous... Talk about penalising a captive market.

Are all the Euros the same - BMW, etc, I wonder.

jmj
09-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I recently purchased a new Passat with RNS510... when I asked about the map version they said it would come with the latest version, and any future update would cost about $450.

Even at $450 the price is excessive, but $1200 is an absolute joke. They are ripping you off.

cmrtig
09-07-2009, 10:11 AM
that's why i am unlikely to buy v2 maps even if that means i have to go without the nav for now. thus, can someone definitely indicate whether v1 maps DVD works with the RNS510 and what is the main difference between v1and v2. is it only that v2 are more up to date for streets, roads etc. or do they function better with the RNS510. anyone at all running v1 maps on the RNS510 and those who have upgraded what is the difference?

whoistheg
09-07-2009, 10:53 AM
V1 should work in your 510.

If you were in Vic i would of said come over and i would pop my disc in for you.
I got V2 when i got the car.

you are correct

V1 - Sensis V14
V2 - Sensis V15

although looking at my V2 disc i think the V15 maps are old.

Eg. The new Deer Park by-pass in Vic is not even on it. And its been completed for 2 months. !!

On my Tomtom it was a purple road (ie comming soon)

cmrtig
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
anyone in sydney willing to share or sell v2 dvd, and what is v1 like if anyone is using it stillon the rns510?

Swallowtail
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
anyone in sydney willing to share or sell v2 dvd, and what is v1 like if anyone is using it stillon the rns510?

Sharing would of course be illegal... :D

V2 seems OK, only been using it a week in a new car, so no idea how it compares with V1 directly. I had v14 maps in my last car though and they were OK, although obviously didn't have some of the latest roads.

cmrtig
09-07-2009, 11:35 AM
was that v1 map in a RNS510? also happy to buy a second hand copy for a reasonable price, but charging around $1000 is worse than illegal!

Swallowtail
09-07-2009, 11:37 AM
was that v1 map in a RNS510? also happy to buy a second hand copy for a reasonable price, but charging around $1000 is worse than illegal!

No, it was V14 maps in a Mazda... sorry. I agree $1000 is criminal.

vdeknock
09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I know it costs a lot to generate and maintain the maps - but they are sold to heaps of companies so it not like just VW are paying for the maps to be generated.

If they were priced at an acceptable level then people would be unlikely to get them from a cheaper source. $1200 is a total joke - you can but a new nav system with the same maps or later for $400.

Whats the point in even offering them for sale, this would have to be the biggest issue I have with getting the SAT nav from VW. Whats worst is that 95% of the information is the same you already have.

qsilverza
09-07-2009, 05:27 PM
1200 $ for updated maps, I agree is expensive.

This below was aimed at a complete system...

Well, it just depends on how much you are willing to pay for OEM stuff. You can always go aftermarket but for some that's more trouble and my guess is unless you fork out a similar amount you aren't going to get something that is a whole package and integrated into the dash/steering column display's etc etc. I personally would fit a carputer but that's because I am a nut !:)

I know it costs a lot to generate and maintain the maps - but they are sold to heaps of companies so it not like just VW are paying for the maps to be generated.

If they were priced at an acceptable level then people would be unlikely to get them from a cheaper source. $1200 is a total joke - you can but a new nav system with the same maps or later for $400.

Whats the point in even offering them for sale, this would have to be the biggest issue I have with getting the SAT nav from VW. Whats worst is that 95% of the information is the same you already have.

guliver_twist
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
When you look at the excessive price of the OEM maps, I am surprised that it is almost impossible to find a copy online. I would have though that people would be more inclined to share due to the ridiculous price, especially if they got the new maps with their system, rather than as a separate purchase..

Hopefully one day soon this will change!

gerhard
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
When you look at the excessive price of the OEM maps, I am surprised that it is almost impossible to find a copy online. I would have though that people would be more inclined to share due to the ridiculous price, especially if they got the new maps with their system, rather than as a separate purchase..

Hopefully one day soon this will change!

Problem with that thought is it's stealing.

If I'd just paid $1200 for updated maps, why would I make it publicly available for no cost to people who want everything for nothing, and commit a crime at the same time.

I don't find it surprising at all, that there are no copies floating around illegally.

That's not to say I think $1200 is a reasonable price. But then beer is dearer in a club than in a bar, and both are dearer than the bottle shop prices, which is dearer than brewing your own. You make your own choices where to drink.

jmj
10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I received a V2 disk with my new Passat. Happy for anyone to come around and "check it out" at no cost. I live in Barwon Heads, Vic.

whoistheg
10-07-2009, 05:30 PM
some more options

on the back of my V2 disk it has the following

Volkswagen [RNS 510, RNS 810], SEAT [SEAT Mediasystem], Skoda [RNS Columbus]

maybe give Skoda a call and see how much it is?

Im pretty sure they have 510 in their cars