PDA

View Full Version : Summary of Bluetooth Options for RNS510 & RCD510

Pages : [1] 2 3

Swallowtail
07-07-2009, 01:08 PM
There have been so many posts recently about the different Bluetooth options available for the RNS510 :duh: that I thought it might be worth doing a summary of the different options. Perhaps others with more info can add some more info?

I have restricted these options to integrated systems, so it does not include Parrots, or headsets! :D

These options (in price order) are basically valid for all the RNS510-fittable vehicles - Golf V, Jetta, Golf VI, Passat, Eos, Touareg, Tiguan.

1. VW supplied "cheap" Bluetooth system

This is a Nokia unit and is available for about $800. Based on a Parrot BlueTooth system.

Integration with MFD (dash): NO
Integration with RNS510: NO
Multi Function Steering Wheel button works: YES
Voice Activation: NO
Extras: None

Comments: This is a very basic system. Not worth the $... IMHO :D

2. Fiscon Bluetooth
(either "Basic" without RNS510 integration or "Basic-Plus" with it)

Available from either www.kufatec.de (http://www.kufatec.de) directly (Euro420 including shipping, or about $750 - 800 dependent on exchange rate), or via advancedice and their agents here in Australia. There are also a few car sound places that now will install these - i.e. Northfield here in QLD. Fitting should be about $200, or a relatively simple DIY, takes about 1 hours. Install is simple as the cable loom is a plug and play into the back of the stereo with the existing cable plugging into the new piece. Very easy. Northfield in Brisbane - supply and fit $995. Trickiest part of the install is getting the RNS510 back into the dash with the added bulk of the extra cables.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES (after VAGCOM coding change to advise the car that there is a telephone controller installed)
Integration with RNS510: YES on the Basic-Plus model. 349 Euros without (Basic), 399 Euros with (Basic Plus).
Voice Activation: NO - although an RNS510 with voice control activated can be used to voice control this unit.
Extras: On cars with red MIS display, will display various engine parameters (boost, oil temp, etc).

3. What used to be called the Skoda kit otherwise known as the 9W3 kit, or VW 729
(VW part number is 1Z0 035 729) - the Skoda Bluetooth kit is very popular, as it offers a good combination of features. You can get this from Kufatec for about Euro590 shipped (about $1050), or supplied and fitted for about AU$1500 from places like Volkspower, or Harding Performance. EDIT April 2010 some VW dealers (e.g. Barloworld) are supplying and fitting this unit in new VWs for $1500.

There is a guy in the UK who can ship these to you for approximately GBP350, or about $750. He has done a heap of group buys for car clubs as well as supplying lots to AUS already. He doesn't take credit cards except via PayPal or he will accept a transfer to his UK Bank Account. If he has stock then the turnaround is next day, if not and he obtains to order it may take a little longer to get than a company with them in stock. There is a "howto" that shows what's involved in fitting it here: Octavia-vRS.com - OEM Integrated Bluetooth Telephone Install (http://www.octavia-vrs.com/technical/bluetooth.html). Note also that in that “howto” the guy has bought about $50 worth of extra bits to simplify fitting the cables, so that's about $800 worth of bits.

This is a premium level functionality kit, but does NOT use rSAP, so will (should!) work with any Bluetooth phone.

Installation is NOT plug and play (see link above for example). Involves connecting the Bluetooth system into the CAN bus and +ve 12V and ground by piggybacking into the stereo's connections.

There ARE plug and play ones out there, sometimes on ebay. 1Z0 035 729 items at low prices on eBay.com.au (http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=1Z0+035+729&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=170316943427&_osacat=0)

E.g. for about AU$450 - AU$550 you can get them from Poland. Be aware that the Plug and Play harnesses that come with these units have a non-twisted pair CAN BUS cable, which in theory is non-compliant with manufacturer specs. I rewired mine with some twisted pair cable purchased from my local VW dealer's parts dept.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES (after VAGCOM coding change, usually done by installer)
Integration with RNS510: YES
Voice Activation: YES
Extras: ?

NOTE - there are different firmware versions of this unit that mean some work with some cars and some don't.
UPDATE (unconfirmed though):
1Z0 035 729 A - for white MFD equipped models (CC, MKVI Golf, 09 Passat)
1Z0 035 729 B - for red MFD (MKV Golf, older Passats, Tiguan)
1Z0 035 729 D - works with new white MFD. Some rumours that it does A2DP, but no-one appears to have actually proven it... :(
1Z0 035 729 C - new from 22/6/09 apparently supercedes A and D. Functionally I believe the same as D.

See post further down on my fitting of this...

4. VW supplied "Premium" Bluetooth kit
(part number 1K8 035 730).

About $2200 - $2300 with the car. This is an rSAP ONLY device, will NOT work with a lot of Bluetooth phones. It is also available aftermarket - you can buy the unit from Kufatec for 840 Euros - about $1600 + fitting.

Integration with MFD (dash): YES
Integration with RNS510: YES
Voice Activation: YES
Extras: Uses rSAP to borrow the phones identity and uses its own built-in GSM radio to make calls.

This system only uses the GSM 900/1800 band, not the Next G UMTS 850 band. As such, once you are outside of the city or major regionals it will have more connection issues.

I hope that is clear... :D

EDIT April 2010

Dash mount system - VW dealers now also appear to be offering a dash mounted display Bluetooth system - I don't have many details on this though as yet. MyNetspace Picture Gallery :: Untitled :: BT (http://dcpetho.gallery.netspace.net.au/album01/BT)

Swallowtail
01-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Fitted the 729 Bluetooth today... took a few hours. You need one part from VW to mount it under the seat of a Passat - it clips into slits in the carpet. Be warned, doing a full OEM style install of this thing is not a task for the faint hearted.

Remove stereo, run cables through the driver's side dash to the door sill, under the carpet to under the seat. Then run the mic cable up the A pillar to the head lining and over to the courtesy light assembly.

Put everything back together, then I discovered that the cable harness from Poland hasn't passed through the MDI connections, so I had to pull the stereo out again, remove the sub-plug for MDI from the car's quadlock plug and move it to the harness's quadlock plug.

Check coding in VAGCOM (slightly different to what the websites out there say and also from what the Ross-Tech software says for steering wheel control). I have upgraded the firmware on my RNS510 to the new one that does voice control so I have disabled voice control on the Bluetooth unit, and am controlling it all from the RNS510. The star button on the steering wheel initiates voice control, and the phone button answers / terminates a call.

So it's all done... but the Kufatec unit is easier to install. I installed it into apom's R36 this evening in an hour LOL. But, the mic is not voice control compatible for the RNS510, and doesn't fit in the overhead unit, the display in the MFD looks aftermarket (says KUFATEC FISCON instead of just Phone), Kufatec supports A2DP, but I don't want that really - it just is a pain with my iPhone.

I have run all the wiring for the harness to be stereo, but CarSystems in Poland haven't got back to me with how to connect it to the 729 unit to make it stereo, nor have they said anything about A2SP yet...

Is it the best option? Hmmm possibly.

Pros of 729 Bluetooth over Fiscon:

If you haven't upgraded your RNS510 to voice control, then the 729 is the only way to get true hands free (voice control) dialling.

It's truly OEM, works well. Can access an iPhone's call lists where Fiscon can't.

Cheaper than Fiscon if purchased from Poland.

Microphone can be used as voice control for the RNS510 (with upgraded firmware) by connecting to RNS510 and running new cable to Bluetooth. So one mic, all OEM, voice control for everything.

Cons of 729 Bluetooth compared to Fiscon:

Bigger unit than Fiscon, has to be fitted under driver's seat really (Fiscon squeezes neatly under centre console near gearstick). Therefore harder to install.

Cable harness from Poland does not pass through MDI / CD changer cables - small sub-plug needs to be removed from the car's quadlock plug and put into the pass-through quadlock plug.

Cable harness from Poland has non-compliant CAN bus cable.

No A2DP (we think LOL...), where Fiscon has A2DP.

If you have upgraded your firmware on the RNS510 to be voice control capable, then you can voice control a Fiscon unit from the RNS510 - you don't need the 729. However, you will still need an additional mic as the Fiscon's mic is wrong for the RNS510. So at the very least you'd still need a VW mic, and you'd still need to run it to the overhead console. You'd then have 2 mics - with the Fiscon's only operative on calls.

That's all for now, I'll add more as I think of it...

Swallowtail
13-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I thought I'd pull together some of the issues that I had installing the Skoda Bluetooth unit, along with some pointers on installation.

The kit I got from eBay came with a plug and play wiring harness. Issues:

1. the CAN bus cabling from the stereo to the bluetooth unit is not compliant with VW specifications. I removed it from the wiring and replaced it with compliant cable - 000 979 987

2. The plug and play harness does not pass through connectivity from a CD changer / MDI. You have to remove one of the sub-plugs from the car's original quad-lock connector (it's plug 4 as shown here: http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen-rns-510-pin-assignments) and move it to the new wiring harness quadlock connector that now goes into the back of the RNS510.

3. It does NOT do A2DP, or at least not so that anyone has been able to work out how to do it. The cable from the Skoda bluetooth unit to the RNS510 carries a mono signal only, which is connected to a single channel of Tel In on the RNS510. The RNS then bridges that to both channels.

4. Ouf of the box it won't provide voice control for a new firmware'd RNS510. It will do its own voice control though. I disconnected the mic cable that came with it, and routed that to the Mic In pins on the RNS510. I then ran a new shielded mic cable down the wiring harness to the Bluetooth unit's Mic In. Alternatively I believe that you can just 'tap' into the Bluetooth unit's Mic wiring and take that to the RNS510's Mic In.

Installation

Note - in a Passat you will need a part from VW to properly mount it. It's 3C0 919 738 A, it's about $30. It goes under the driver's seat with the Skoda unit wedged inside it. It's the ONLY other part you will need for a Passat mount, unless you are doing cabling modifications (compliant CAN bus cable, Mic loop to RNS etc).

Using trim tools, remove the trim surrounding the RNS510, and then undo the 4 torx screws and remove the stereo. Unplug it. Place safely to one side. Remove sub-plug 4 from the car's quad-lock connector (see note 2 and link above). Place sub-plug 4 into the same place in the supplied wiring harness's quad-lock connector. Connect the quad-lock connectors together so your new harness is now in place.

At this point I did a "dry run" and connected everything, did the VAGCOM coding, and tested to make sure everything worked before I put it all in place.

Assuming it all works, now run the cable that goes to the bluetooth unit and the Mic cable (if you are connecting the Mic to the RNS510) behind your dashboard and over to the fuse panel. I removed the lower dashboard cover panel to assist with this. Once at the fuse panel, the mic cable needs to go up the A pillar - more on that in a minute.

Take the Bluetooth harness, and route down behind the plastic trim piece that holds the bonnet release, ensuring that it sits clear of any moving parts. Lift the driver's door sill cover trim piece at the front end (it's one piece all the way to the C pillar, so you won't be able to easily remove it completely, and you don't need to anyway). Run the cable to in line with the front of the driver's seat.

Now at this point you have a choice. Either remove the driver's seat and run the cable through the channel that goes under the seat rail, or run it under the carpet. I chose the latter. :emo_baghead:

It's probably a good idea at this point to dry run fit the mounting piece from VW under the driver's seat - push it in, and mark where the mounting 'tongue' sits against the carpet (left hand side as you are facing the back of the car). Cut the carpet to suit, then insert the tongue into the carpet on that side, and clip the other side into the top of a cut in the carpet that is already there on that side (it's a small sqaure cut on three sides). Check before you cut...

Once you know where the bracket is going to fit, take it back out, and make another cut in the carpet on the outboard side further back for the cable. Now go back to the door sill and run the cable under the carpet (behind the corner of the carpet as it comes up the seat mount is best), round the front of the seat rail mount, and back to your further back carpet cut. You may find it easier to do this if you remove the black plug housing so you have only the blue connectors to push through. Pull the cable through, refit the black plug housing.

Once you have that there, mount the Skoda Bluetooth unit into the mounting bracket (I trimmed a bit of the black plastic so it fitted better), plug in the aerial, the cable harness, and mount under the seat. Phew...

Rebuild your door sill and trims!

Now the A pillar - remove the "AIRBAG" symbol from the A pillar carefully. It just clips in. There is a torx screw behind it - undo that, and pull off the A pillar cover. Be careful - there are airbags in here...

Run the Mic cable from the fuse panel, behind the corner of the dash, up the A pillar, routing inside the metal if you wish, so that it reaches the top of the A pillar safely and behind all the airbag bits.

Unclip the cover on the right hand mount of the sun-visor. Unscrew and remove. Remove the small light (just pulls out) above the visor. Remove the small mic panel from the overhead panel (where what looks like speaker vents are), and remove the centre piece of the housing. Now thread the cable through using the holes you have created, over to the console, above the head lining. Fit the mic and reassemble.

Reassemble the car, make sure everything is connected and working.

You will need to do some VAGCOM coding to finalise the installation. There is information on that available here:

http://www.my-gti.com/429/volkswagen-skoda-bluetooth-programming

However, note some differences:

If you are using RNS510's voice control, set Controller 77 to not use voice control (i.e. language spoken by unit to 0 for external control). If not, leave that at 2 for UK English.

Set the Steering wheel controller 16 as per your car, see the link above for details, but be aware that in my Passat the VAGCOM suggested setting did not work. It told me to do 8 - it needs to be 4.

If you are using RNS voice control, with Controller 16 set to have PTT (Push-To-Talk), and the Skoda Bluetooth not using its internal voice control, pressing the star on the steering wheel activates the RNS voice control, from which you can dial names, numbers, etc.

If you are not using RNS voice control, pressing the star button activates Bluetooth voice control.

In either situation, the phone button on the steering wheel answers or terminates a call. If no call is active or incoming, pressing this button brings up the phone menu in the MFD.

Cheers

Swallowtail.

tig_one
19-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Hi Swallowtail,
Many thanks for all the instructions. It's obviously the way to go, so I've ordered a 729 from Poland for my new Tiguan, except I'll get a professional with a VAG-COM to install it.
If anyone else with a Tiguan is doing that, the part number for the mounting bracket in a Tiguan is: 3C0 919 935 A.
When I see the black carpet cover for it, I'll let you know the part number.

Just curious, ('cos I haven't seen the unit from Poland yet) do I need to order additional plugs from VW to do the pass through of the microphone from the RNS510 to the 729 or just fit some shielded cable into provided plugs?

MY10 Tiguan TDI
RNS510 | Fog lights | Electric seats | Comfort package

Swallowtail
19-01-2010, 10:43 PM
You will need a couple of "repair wires" to do the mic pass-thru. Look at the posts on Mav's blog - www.my-gti.com - on voice control for the RNS510 and you will get all the details of how to wire the mic.

My cover doesn't have carpet on it at all - it's just a sort of material finish on the black poly block.

midlifecrisis
23-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know if the FISCON/Kufatec will support this function on the new golf wagon? - ie do the mark 6s have red DIS?

"DIS Add on -Extended display of the following data's through the instrument cluster:
Only available for vehicles with red DIS
Boost pressure in bar (depends on vehicle)
Oil temeperature in°C/ F
Water temeperature in°C/ F
Remaining petrol capacity in l
Speed in km/h - m/h
Revolutions per minute

Swallowtail
23-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Pretty sure the MkVIs all have white MFD. In which case, no it won't work...

vwlovr
27-03-2010, 11:29 AM
It looks like not many people is aware that Barloworld is actually supplying and fitting the SKODA 1Z0 035 729 ‘E’ (latest firmware). Total cost: $1495 !!

After looking at every option available, I believe this is the best kit to get installed ! It even has voice command !!

Mk6 GTI
07-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Mate,

I am getting the standard bluetooth option fitted to my GTI that i should be picking up next week sometime..

I have the feeling that OPTION 1 wont work with the iPhone? I have been assured that the one im getting works with all phones, iphone included. its $800 option. If its not option 1 because it doesnt work with an iphone then what could it be?

Also.. my car was built late dec09 i think. What version of RNS510 would i have? Would i be able to use voice command? :|

Sorry for all the questions!! hehe

Thanks in advance!

Mk6 GTI
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Guys to confirm..as i am just about to get the skoda BT kit fitted at the dealer.. in the next couple of days! My car has arrived at the dealer today!! :)

Does the SKoda kit work with the iPhone?? Full funtionality??

thank You!!

Corey_R
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm not an expert on this, in fact, I don't have a Golf and don't have bluetooth right now. But Option 1 is not a Skoda Kit. Option 1 also doesn't say anything about not working with the iPhone. It's just very basic and not really worth $800.

The Skoda Kit, Option 3, is the best option, but it would be more than $800 installed from a VW dealer - $1495 is what Barloworld are charging as per post #23. It works with iPhones too.
The only option which doesn't work wtih iPhone is 4 - the $2k+ VW 'Premium Bluetooth' option.

wilsona
19-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Camberwell Volkswgen showed me a new bluetooth unit called Fibredyne, I tried it with my blackberry bold and it synched and interacted with all the RNS510 functions perfectly. It costs around $800 fitted. Does anyone know about this unit, apparently it is the same unit fitted by Volkswagen New Zealand.

Bluetooth Gateway for Volkswagen Now Available | mObridge Inc (http://www.mobridgeinc.com/node/183)

Mk6 GTI
20-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi Guys,

I had a VW Premium BT fitted.. I asked for the Skoda one. Its made by a company called Volkstronic or something. It is FANTASTIC. Really clear, total intergration and RNS compatibility.

I definitely recommend it! I got it fitted for $1200. Totally worth it!

Ankush
20-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi Guys,

I had a VW Premium BT fitted.. I asked for the Skoda one. Its made by a company called Volkstronic or something. It is FANTASTIC. Really clear, total intergration and RNS compatibility.

That's great, where was the installation done?

Ankush
22-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I have revived the kit from
Poland however , have called a few dealers and am unable to find mounting bracket for the kit.

Any ideas.

Sharkie
22-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Fiscon Basic Plus available in Australia from Advancedice (as mentioned by Swallowtail) for $799.00 They seem to have many in stock ....

FISCON VW & Skoda Basic Plus Bluetooth Kit (http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2/FISCON-Basic-Plus-Volkswagen-Bluetooth)

OilBurna
22-04-2010, 02:12 PM
anyone tried this one - looks like a cheaper alternative not sure how much shipped though

Volkswagen Passat B6 FWD 2.0T > Interior > Cellular Phone > ES#251526 Bluetooth Integration Kit - 1K0051437 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B6-FWD-2.0T/Interior/Cellular_Phone/ES251526/).

Swallowtail
22-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I have revived the kit from
Poland however , have called a few dealers and am unable to find mounting bracket for the kit.

Any ideas.

Mounting parts are available from your local VW dealer. See first posts for more information.

Swallowtail
22-04-2010, 02:23 PM
anyone tried this one - looks like a cheaper alternative not sure how much shipped though

Volkswagen Passat B6 FWD 2.0T > Interior > Cellular Phone > ES#251526 Bluetooth Integration Kit - 1K0051437 (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B6-FWD-2.0T/Interior/Cellular_Phone/ES251526/).

The pic shows a Nokia unit, so I think it's the "cheapie" crippled Nokia bluetooth they sell here as the basic kit.

Ankush
22-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Mounting parts are available from your local VW dealer. See first posts for more information.

I am after the mouting bracket for the Skoda kit for Mk6 GTI and cannot find any information on any of the previous posts.

Swallowtail
22-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I am after the mouting bracket for the Skoda kit for Mk6 GTI and cannot find any information on any of the previous posts.

I don't know. The parts and websites posted have information on the required parts for Passat and for Golf V. As far as i know, either will still work fine in a Golf VI. But not having one I cant say 100%.

Perhaps Google the Skoda part numbers with Golf VI or golf mk6 and see what comes up?

nau
23-04-2010, 06:24 PM
can some one explain why Blue tooth cost same\more then the whole laptop.... ? its a pretty simple device if you think about.... or am I missing something ?

Corey_R
23-04-2010, 10:56 PM
NFI. Although I do know that VW are not any more expensive than most of the other Euro cars.

Hail
11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Could you PM me the details, for $1,200 I'd get the same kit installed tomorrow.

robinb
15-05-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi Guys. I am about to install Option 3 (729) into my Passat MY10. I am aware of the under-seat mount, but has anyone been able to locate closer to the RNS510? I think that space under the console is too tight, but there was talk that there might be space behind the passenger bin. Thanks

AFTERPOST. OK, it seems that there is no help available so I have bitten the bullet. There is space OK behind the climate control unit under the RNS510. Unclip the surround and then remove the 4 securing screws. Leave the wires connected and place the bluetooth unit behind. Worst part of the job was fitting the RNS back in: space is tight with the piggy-back wiring.
Poland quotes that it a 20-minute job. As a first-timer I took about an hour.
I have used the RNS microphone (Mic In) and connected the bluetooth to the Mic Out pair
I will check programming just as soon as my Micro-Can arrives, but blow me it all seems to be working OK, including voice dialing, without any programming! Call quality is excellent.

MrTig
31-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi all. New to the VW seen so sorry if this is a silly question...... Will the 729 type Bluetooth system work with the RCD510? My car is a new Tiguan with the white MFD.
Thanks in advance.

Swallowtail
31-05-2010, 11:33 PM
I believe so, but I cannot say for certain what features will be activated. That may be a question for the Polish guys on eBay that sell them?

ianthom
08-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Swallowtail, thanks for this thread. It has been very useful for a newbie about to take delivery of my first Golf (Mk6) this Fri. Having previously had a Lexus I am used to buying a car with everything factory fitted, including fully integrated bluetooth, so finding out that this was not a standard offering on the new model and that other aftermarket options might be a better choice, has me scrambling now trying to figure out best bang for buck.

Are you aware of anybody purchasing the following bluetooth phone kit, which was recommended to me yesterday by Camberwell VW ahead of delivery this week. From this thread it looks as the the Skoda option is the way to go, but not sure how it compares with this, given this particular dealer's recommendation as best choice.

mObridge Bluetooth
ABT2010
Bluetooth Handsfree, iPod interface, and Auxiliary Input - all in one!
The mObridge Bluetooth ABT2010 is the most advanced after-market phone kit available for vehicles equipped with the MOST bus.

Not only does it integrate Parrot® Bluetooth technology for best-in-class phone support, it also integrates our popular iPod and auxiliary audio interface to be a complete multi-media gateway.

And best of all it seamlessly integrates with your existing vehicle radio and steering wheel controls for a factory-fitted effect.

If you're the lucky owner of a late model Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, or Porsche you should definitely consider a mObridge Bluetooth ABT2010 for your hands-free telephone solution.

Here is the website:

mObridge Bluetooth | mObridge Inc

Swallowtail
09-06-2010, 10:38 AM
I haven't heard of anyone who has installed it, no. There is nothing on their website that I could find about specific integration with VW / RNS510, so I'd be looking for more information. Why is the dealer recommending that one when there are specific VAG parts that natively integrate? There is also a new solution coming from VW I believe later this year, but I have no details other than what people have told me - excellent price, full integration.

ianthom
09-06-2010, 12:45 PM
ok ... thanks for this. Will folllow-up with dealer directly and also look into new solution. Another post last night suggested there is already a part # for this for VW Aust, so not sure how far away the new solution is, but sounds like the way to go.

Tim33599
14-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Swallowtail. Great thread. Very informative to me.

I have a query if you or anyone else knows the answer.

My Passat has the RCD510 unit and was wondering if the same information applies to fitting the VW 729.
Is the rear wiring the same and do I need to know anything different in relation to the CAN BUS programming etc??
Anyone else had any experience fitting this BT to the RCD510?
Thanks in advance..

mooka
29-06-2010, 06:54 PM
This thread has been great, and if I lived down south the BT option for my R would be an easy option...

I contacted my dealer today about options, and he gave me these two:

1. Standard Bluetooth Kit fitted Price - Parts ex Melbourne; Part No. 1K0051473, $890 inc GST
2. Premium Bluetooth Kit fitted price - Part ex Germany Part No. VGA051 437 GLF9, $2,102.61 inc GST

I imagine that these are the two BT options previously discussed but havent seen these part numbers anywhere - has anyone else?

After receiving these two quotes I mentioned that a 'mate' had the Skoda kit installed down south by a VW dealer and asked him to look into it - will wait and see what he says...

mooka
04-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Anyone able to help me with the above query??

Or, at least point me in another direction of where I may be able to find out?

Corey_R
04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Have you received your car yet? Or is it going to be built in Sep for Nov delivery?
If you're expecting it in Nov, then ask them to put on MY11 Bluetooth (9ZB) for only $550. It's factory fit and is the equiv to the $2,102.61 VW Premium Bluetooth (and it does work with the iPhone, like the more recent Premium Bluetooth kits have).
If you already have your car then get the Skoda kit, because it's much better value and doesn't really give up anything to the Premium.

mooka
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Have already recieved the car, so the Skoda kit it is.
Finally found a supplier in Darwin who can assist. They are affiliated with Advanced ICE so should be good. Have given me a good deal as well - under $1000 for the supply and fit of the Skoda kit!

thanks for your reply Coreying.

MurphyTheElf
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM
When the part becomes available, does anybody know if the MY11 9ZB Bluetooth can be dealer fitted to MY09 / MY10 vehicles?

sharkablue
10-07-2010, 11:37 AM
When the part becomes available, does anybody know if the MY11 9ZB Bluetooth can be dealer fitted to MY09 / MY10 vehicles?

I have been informed from my dealer that they cannot do it... However I have a feeling I went about it the wrong way.

I originally asked about the Skoda kit, and my dealer had to go to his parts people to ask. It took a few days as he confirmed that they could order it in for me and fit it....for $1500.

I then asked about the new MY11 kit, and I was told straight away that it could not be done.

Now i dont know if I was told that just because he knew he could get more from me from installing the Skoda kit for $1500. Or if they genuinely cannot install it.

Getting confirmation from someone would be great, because my dealer doesnt want to to do.

I honestly cant imagine it be any different to installing the Skoda kit into the car, and its a genuine VW Part. So I dont know.

swalee
10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Shark,

I had the runaround with the dealer, when I brought the MY10 R, I asked a guy in parts about a bluetooth unit and he told me all MY11 were a $550 factory order and they COULD fit it (MY11) for 1800 dollars. After I choked on my Pizza subway, he told me to go to Fiscon to buy a bluetooth unit ( which was considerably cheaper and fit it myself, which I did ( which is extremely easy ), and I brought it for $643 delivered. Look it up, Shark, and do yourself and your wallet a favour. If you can use a screwdriver you can fit this kit, cause thats all it takes, glad VW sorted out the dashboard radio fitments on the 6.

Swalee

sharkablue
11-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Shark,

I had the runaround with the dealer, when I brought the MY10 R, I asked a guy in parts about a bluetooth unit and he told me all MY11 were a $550 factory order and they COULD fit it (MY11) for 1800 dollars. After I choked on my Pizza subway, he told me to go to Fiscon to buy a bluetooth unit ( which was considerably cheaper and fit it myself, which I did ( which is extremely easy ), and I brought it for $643 delivered. Look it up, Shark, and do yourself and your wallet a favour. If you can use a screwdriver you can fit this kit, cause thats all it takes, glad VW sorted out the dashboard radio fitments on the 6.

Swalee

Hello Swalee,

Are there guides on getting this fitted? I personally dont feel confident ripping apart my interior to get mics and cabling installed in the car?

However I am yet to see a guide on doing this.

dunnounme
20-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi, I would need some expert advise here. My ICE setup is in my signature. I have Fiscon plus (v1.83 software) and MFA on my RNS510 (firmware 2668).

My Fiscon BT works like a charm when it's connected up with the amps and stuff, without the Alpine PXA-H701 processor. But once I plug in the H701, the caller will hear very clear echo of his or her own voice when I answer the call. They sound like they are talking to themselves, hearing repeats of every word they say.

After some trial and error, I found that the caller is actually hearing himself through the mic when his voice is re-produced via the car speakers. When I turn down the speaker volume, the echoing starts to disappear....but then I can hardly hear the caller too. Somehow, the H701 is delaying the voice signals by a sec or so such that by the time the voice is projected out of the speaker, the mic is already in receving mode and picks it up...

I've tried moving the mic from the front cabin light area to the top of the A pillar....doesn't help.
I've tried disabling the time alignment feature in H701....doesn't help.
I've tried putting 2 layers of sponge over the mic....doesn't help.
I've tried plugging in another different unit of H701...doesn't help.
I've tried removing the H701 and plug the RCA inputs directly to the amp....no more echo, works like a charm.

The last thing I've not tried is VAG-COM programming but someone told me that it will throw up a series of fault codes as I'm not using the original VW BT module. Not sure how true this is.

Basically I'm looking at:
Telephone - Contoller 77
Channel 130 (offset delay to avoid echos)
or Channel 136 (ofset delay for send & receive)

I can't find any functions in Fiscon Plus that can set any delays as well..
Can any experts advise?

dunnounme
24-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi, need a life-saver here. My wife said I spoilt the BT and I keep telling her it's not spoilt, it just echo :P

Anyone with this encounter above? Seems tough to find someone using a H701 and Fiscon BT combo. Have been searching www for clues. BTW, swapping of amps doesn't help either, have tried 3 different amps.

Ryan_R
30-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Can the first post be updated with regard to the E version of Part number 1Z0 035 729 E (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190363721993&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=&sspagename=VIP%3Awatchlink%3Atop%3Aen)?

I'm thinking of getting it for a MK6 MY10 Golf 118 TSI since it's plug and play and reasonably priced. Not terribly important, but is this the one that does or does not support BT music streaming? I'm not too concerned about voice activation either.

Thanks

entice
31-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Hi, I would need some expert advise here. My ICE setup is in my signature. I have Fiscon plus (v1.83 software) and MFA on my RNS510 (firmware 2668).

My Fiscon BT works like a charm when it's connected up with the amps and stuff, without the Alpine PXA-H701 processor. But once I plug in the H701, the caller will hear very clear echo of his or her own voice when I answer the call. They sound like they are talking to themselves, hearing repeats of every word they say.

After some trial and error, I found that the caller is actually hearing himself through the mic when his voice is re-produced via the car speakers. When I turn down the speaker volume, the echoing starts to disappear....but then I can hardly hear the caller too. Somehow, the H701 is delaying the voice signals by a sec or so such that by the time the voice is projected out of the speaker, the mic is already in receving mode and picks it up...

I've tried moving the mic from the front cabin light area to the top of the A pillar....doesn't help.
I've tried disabling the time alignment feature in H701....doesn't help.
I've tried putting 2 layers of sponge over the mic....doesn't help.
I've tried plugging in another different unit of H701...doesn't help.
I've tried removing the H701 and plug the RCA inputs directly to the amp....no more echo, works like a charm.

The last thing I've not tried is VAG-COM programming but someone told me that it will throw up a series of fault codes as I'm not using the original VW BT module. Not sure how true this is.

Basically I'm looking at:
Telephone - Contoller 77
Channel 130 (offset delay to avoid echos)
or Channel 136 (ofset delay for send & receive)

I can't find any functions in Fiscon Plus that can set any delays as well..
Can any experts advise?

i think you may find that the fiscon unit has adjustable mic gain etc etc.

accessed with the MFD and steering wheel controls, in setup.

try that.

dunnounme
02-08-2010, 02:03 AM
i think you may find that the fiscon unit has adjustable mic gain etc etc.

accessed with the MFD and steering wheel controls, in setup.

try that.

Oh, that was the very first thing I tried but it didn't work. It's not a mic sensitivity issue. The gain in the MFD controls the sensitivity of the mic. I've even set it to only 8db, anything lower I don't think the caller can hear me. The echo is still there.

picard2bridge
03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on this. I've just had Fiscon BT installed by Mobiletek in Adelaide into my MkVI GTI with RCD510 (No sat-nav). The MFD is the white type, being a MkVI.

1) I was expecting there to be phone info and settings on the MFD not just on the head unit.
2) I was also expecting to be able to answer calls from the phone button on the steering wheel, but I seem to have to press a button on the head unit to do this.

Were my expectations incorrect or does something have to be set differently?

Thanks in advance,
p2b

Swallowtail
03-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Fiscon BT should integrate with the MFD and the steering wheel, yes. Refer it back to the installer and ask them to fix it.

Ryan_R
03-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Some info on the new 9W7 system:
2011 Volkswagen Bluetooth 9W7 sneak preview (http://askavwsalesguy.com/2010/08/02/2011-volkswagen-bluetooth-9w7-sneak-preview/)

Tux
03-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on this. I've just had Fiscon BT installed by Mobiletek in Adelaide into my MkVI GTI with RCD510 (No sat-nav). The MFD is the white type, being a MkVI.

1) I was expecting there to be phone info and settings on the MFD not just on the head unit.
2) I was also expecting to be able to answer calls from the phone button on the steering wheel, but I seem to have to press a button on the head unit to do this.

Were my expectations incorrect or does something have to be set differently?

Thanks in advance,
p2b

It just needs to be 'coded' to work with the MFD and steering wheel controls....Very simple with a VAG COM cable and software or the dealer should be able to do it... It is a 5 minute job....

Corey_R
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Some info on the new 9W7 system:
2011 Volkswagen Bluetooth 9W7 sneak preview (http://askavwsalesguy.com/2010/08/02/2011-volkswagen-bluetooth-9w7-sneak-preview/)

Is 9W7 for the Australian market? I'm pretty sure it's not....

Syd118TSI
03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Here's hoping we get similar locally, or failing that what's stopping people from importing?

picard2bridge
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
It just needs to be 'coded' to work with the MFD and steering wheel controls....Very simple with a VAG COM cable and software or the dealer should be able to do it... It is a 5 minute job....

Great, thanks Tux. You'd think the installers should have done that in the first place, wouldn't you?

picard2bridge
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
And thanks to Swallowtail as well :-)

Ryan_R
13-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Here's hoping we get similar locally, or failing that what's stopping people from importing?
Is this one of the units? NEW BLUETOOTH VW RNS510 MFD3 MFD RCD - VOICE COMMAND !!: eBay Motors (item 190375834436 end time Aug-23-10 17:21:03 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-BLUETOOTH-VW-RNS510-MFD3-MFD-RCD-VOICE-COMMAND-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190375834436QQptZMotorsQ5f CarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories)
(Note the E at the end of the part number).

I visited the local Golf dealership today to ask about their pricing for installing stuff from eBay. I was only slightly surprised to hear that they would charge me $300 for about "2 hours" work (I'm sure it only takes 10 mins + coding). The guy gave me the spiel about not getting the fake Asian sat nav and wasn't aware of the cheap genuine ones from that eBay store in London. Anyway, when I asked about Bluetooth, he was fine about me getting the 'Skoda kit' and having them install it, and said that they could install it at the same time as the RNS 510 for no extra cost, which makes it seem more worth it, since I'd rather not do the BT system myself. His reasoning was that if I installed the RNS myself, he'd have to take it out anyway to install the BT later on.

Is there anything else worth noting about the system I linked to above if I do decide to purchase it later?

Oh and um, I just got the 118TSI today :) I really need to improve the accelerator delay at take off though, who knows what trouble that'll get me in down the track. Where the car is parked in the driveway is a slope, and if I forget that I'm not in my old car and go to reverse up the hill as I would normally, the car will just roll forwards... into the car infront. Caught it with the handbrake this afternoon - you really do have to pretend it's a manual and wait until you feel the car pulling before you release the handbrake.

Pepe
19-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Just been on the phone to a spare parts department at a Sydney dealer...

No news on the phantom MY11 kits yet, at least, it's definitely not showing up as a part that's available.

Other (slightly) interesting things I found out :

The 5th option listed by the OP is this : Volkswagen Golf VI 2.0T > Search > 514 73a > ES#265077 HANDS-FREE - 000051473A (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/514_73a/ES265077/) or Volkswagen UK > Accessories > Details (http://www.volkswagenaccessories.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=000051473A) (being sold as VW in the UK, not sure of it's actual origin though)

I got him to look up the Skoda BT by giving him the part number, and he actually found it on their system (1Z0 035 729 E). However, there's only 1 in the country, and it'll cost you about $800. He didn't know whether that was just the BT control unit or whether it came with the other stuff too (as per eBay).

Fiscon/Kufatec kit was quoted about $850 (apparently gone up quite a bit recently).

Sharkie
19-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I've found and installed a basic bluetooth kit in my Tiguan now.

It integrates with the steering wheel controls so you can control volume, mute and answer/hang-up the phone from the buttons on the steering wheel.

Bear in mind that it is a basic kit and does not integrate with the MFD .... but then the price is VERY good. It is easy to install - plug and play ... with provisions below ...

You need this:

Parrot CK3000 Evo Bluetooth kit - $184

Parrot Bluetooth (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/27/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/parrot-ck3000-evo-bluetooth-car-kit?manufacturer_id=5)

and:

VW2Connect for CANBUS interface - $180

Connects 2 (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/63/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/connects2-vw-to-parrot-bluetooth?manufacturer_id=6)

All up $364 + shipping .... far cheaper than anything else ....

**NB** make sure you tell them to change the wiring on the VW2Connect 1st before sending it to you as the wiring is incorrect out of the box for a VW OEM Touchscreen radio (RCD&RNS510) ...

mmanda
01-09-2010, 09:28 PM
I've found and installed a basic bluetooth kit in my Tiguan now.

It integrates with the steering wheel controls so you can control volume, mute and answer/hang-up the phone from the buttons on the steering wheel.

Bear in mind that it is a basic kit and does not integrate with the MFD .... but then the price is VERY good. It is easy to install - plug and play ... with provisions below ...

You need this:

Parrot CK3000 Evo Bluetooth kit - $184

Parrot Bluetooth (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/27/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/parrot-ck3000-evo-bluetooth-car-kit?manufacturer_id=5)

and:

VW2Connect for CANBUS interface - $180

Connects 2 (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/63/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/connects2-vw-to-parrot-bluetooth?manufacturer_id=6)

All up $364 + shipping .... far cheaper than anything else ....

**NB** make sure you tell them to change the wiring on the VW2Connect 1st before sending it to you as the wiring is incorrect out of the box for a VW OEM Touchscreen radio (RCD&RNS510) ...

Thanks for that info sharkie. I have a question. I have the rcd500 (I think thats right) in my MY08 GTI. The BT I have installed works fine for me and the amount of k's I do in the car. I want to fit the RNS510 into the car and just keep using the same BT thats already fitted. My phone shows the BT as Parrot V5.10c which I believe is the CK3000 unit. Will I need to update the VW2Connect wiring to suit the touchscreen like you mention in your note above??

Thanks so much in advance... appreciate any help.

Peteaussi
07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Is 9W7 for the Australian market? I'm pretty sure it's not....

Why would it not work in the Australian market? Like what are the difference bwteen the AUS spec vs US spec bluetooth systems?

Corey_R
07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Who knows? That's why I was asking!
But ask yourself this, if there is no difference, then why have separate option codes!?

MurphyTheElf
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM
It's frustrating trying to work with service and parts departments that have no idea about the bluetooth options and have no desire to help. I'm yet to find a dealer in WA that can supply and/or fit a Skoda kit. I'm hesitant about buying an eBay model and a little squeamish about getting the wiring and coding correct. I don't know of any members in WA with VCDS.

I asked my dealer today about the 9ZB kit. They had to call the "Sydney technical department" and were informed that because the wiring harnesses are different, that unit cannot be retro fitted. In earlier posts, Swallowtail stated that the Skoda unit has/had the same issue - surely this can be overcome. It's probably just a matter of time until this kit is available from aftermarket sources.

veebs
09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I feel your pain MurphyTheElf - I ended up installing an eBay skoda kit (type E) myself.

Only downside is the CAN bus (sic) needs to be updated for the MFD to take advantage of the phone menu... Messing around in the settings of the car is a little more extreme than I wanted to get. (not that I have the cables/software anyway!)

Sharkie
09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for that info sharkie. I have a question. I have the rcd500 (I think thats right) in my MY08 GTI. The BT I have installed works fine for me and the amount of k's I do in the car. I want to fit the RNS510 into the car and just keep using the same BT thats already fitted. My phone shows the BT as Parrot V5.10c which I believe is the CK3000 unit. Will I need to update the VW2Connect wiring to suit the touchscreen like you mention in your note above??

Thanks so much in advance... appreciate any help.

You may have to update the VW2Connect. When you get the RNS510, send me a PM and I'll send you a pic of the updated wiring required. It is easy to do yourself once you know which wire (and its only 1) to change.

Pepe
10-09-2010, 09:22 AM
9ZB mystery solved here : http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f78/vw-my11-bluetooth-vw-9zb-45679-8.html#post559107

coreying, you might wish to update the OP with this info.

Cheers

Corey_R
10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks mate. I've PM'd Swallowtail to ask him to do it. As this is not in the MK6 forum, I can't update it! :)

V6FSI
18-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi All

I installed my 9W7 unit today in my 2010 passat wagon. I got the 9W7 on ebay (from the polish seller).

The RNS510 came pre wired with a microphone for voice control, so I had to cut the microphone cable, and join it to one of the connectors from the supplied microphone cable. I used vagcom to turn on the telelphone module (in the can gateway controller module 19), cycled the power and... nothing. I checked the telephone module and it was showing some errors, turned out I had the mic cables reverse.. swapped the plugs around, cleared the codes and cycled the power.. my phone could now see the VW module, but wouldn't pair with it. By pure chance I decided to close the driver door.. suddenly the MFD showed the phone menu's.. (it was probably there all along, but when the door is open the MFD show the door open warning!) I bound the phone (Iphone 3gs) to the unit, sync'd the contacts list. Made a couple of test calls.. all good :)

I routed the cable down the side of the center console, under the carpet to just under the driver seat. Not an easy job, used a coat hanger to pull some thin cable through, then taped the think cable to the 9W7 cable and connector, used a bunch of electrical tape to join the two cables and to make the connect smooth so it wouldn't snag. There are a couple of cutouts already in the carpet under the driver seat so I pulled it through to there. I didn't have the foam carrier box for the unit so I just used velcro to hold it in place under the seat.

The hardest part was getting the RNS510 back in. The cable provided has a bulky socket to take the big connector that was in the back of the 510 before.. and there's not a lot of space behind.. took about 10 minutes of messing about before I got it in.

Anyway, well worth the effort, the 9W7 is fantastic, by far the best BT module I've used. Call quality is excellent.

V6FSI.

Pepe
18-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the writeup!

Thought I'd read somewhere that with voice activation, you could just use the same mic? So yours now uses the new mic for voice control two? Or one mic for each purpose?

V6FSI
19-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm using 1 microphone. The supplied harness basically piggybacks the existing quadlock plug, and the existing microphone was hard wired into the existing plug, so I had to cut that and join it to the plug on the new harness. So basically I have the mic going to pins 1 & 7 and then the mic out pins 4 & 9 go to the blu tooth unit. See here - Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control | my-gti.com (http://www.my-gti.com/1234/volkswagen-rns-510-microphone-connection-for-voice-control)

The diagram there has all the info that's needed connection wise. I'm quite glad I didn't have to route the mic cable.. that looks like a tough job!

The voice activation feature now only works for the blu tooth, not the sat nav, no loss really, the voice activation feature is gimicky at best, it's slow I find it quicker to just press the buttons.

I tried taking photos but they didn't turn out too good, only have an 18-200 lens for my DSLR, need to get a decent lens for close up shots. I'm hoping to install a reverse camera eventually, so I'll try and get some shots then.

V6FSI.

Sharkie
22-09-2010, 10:04 AM
As promised here is a pic of the wiring that needs to change when connecting a Parrot CK3000 with a VW2Connect CANBus cable to the RCD510 and RNS510's.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/VW2Connect_Touchscreen_Mod-1.jpg

Essentially the pink wire, middle block bottom, 3rd from bottom on the right hand side needs to be cut and joined to the blue wire at the top. In the picture, the bottom of the adaptor is actually the top, tilted forward for the picture.

The new location of the wire seen here.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/VW2Connect_New_location-1.jpg

Explanation of pin assignments on RCD510, here on Maverick's site.

http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

and RNS510

http://www.my-gti.com/529/volkswagen-rns-510-pin-assignments

mmanda
22-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks Sharkie thats awesome. I'll be able to pass this onto my bro (he's going to be my rns510 installer!) for configuration and installation!

xc17ed
23-09-2010, 08:11 AM
So cut the pink and move it to the blue (which is the RCD's mute position) what is that blue wire and did you have to move it somewhere as well? Did you splice into it, or just cut and join the pink leaving the blue not connected?

rs73
28-09-2010, 11:27 PM
This is a shot of the BT unit fitted by my dealer Camberwell Volks... is it possible to identify which one out of that 3 models on the first page that the dealer put in my car? car didn't have BT when I test drove it and it was added later. I have RCD510 and the phone menu is working on screen, I do get access to my phone book too (Dopod / HTC with WM6 phone) although it couldn't get to my phone's SMS possible since it's using WM6 outlook which can be non-compliant to standard mobile phone sms storage system.

Thinking to get RNS510 retro-fitted and wondering if my existing BT will keep working with RNS510?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs336.ash2/61663_10150106036164569_598034568_7264057_1419783_ n.jpg

sharkablue
05-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if we order the 9W7/9ZB from eBay if we can then have our dealers install it?

I am personally not keen on ripping up my dash and headliner and re-programming my car for the bluetooth with abolsutly no experience on the matter.

But I also dont want to get told from my dealer that they cant order it for me and be asked to pay rip off prices for that $2500 'premium kit'.

What are people thoughts?

Corey_R
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Don't double post. It's not necessary to ask the same question in multiple threads.

MurphyTheElf
05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know if we order the 9W7/9ZB from eBay if we can then have our dealers install it?

I am personally not keen on ripping up my dash and headliner and re-programming my car for the bluetooth with abolsutly no experience on the matter.

It all depends on the dealer I guess. Mine is quite conservative and will only toe the VWA line. VWA told them the wiring loom was different, so they just repeated that to me and that was the end of discussion.

It turns out from previous posts on this forum that the wiring modifications are simple, but that doesn't matter to my dealer.

Ryan_R
05-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I asked the Berwick dealer if they would do it before I bought my stuff on Ebay. They said they would for around $350 (depends on how many hours it takes them to do it). I ended up just doing it myself. The hardest part is running the microphone cable through the roof. The dash and VAG-com programming are easy (if you have access to it).

Pepe
05-10-2010, 10:41 PM

But I also dont want to get told from my dealer that they cant order it for me and be asked to pay rip off prices for that $2500 'premium kit'.

What are people thoughts?

Given you can actually order the 9ZB/9W7 kit through VWAus dealers, there should be no reason they couldn't fit it for you. They may not cover it for warranty, but yeah, they could fit it. 2hrs worth of labour seems to be the standard quote from dealers in northern Sydney @ $150/hr. Or, DIY and buy the VAGCOM cable for the same price.

sharkablue
06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
For those in Victoria:

I have spoken to VW Glen Waverley, VW Berwick and VW Camberwell about getting Sat Nav and Bluetooth installed into the car.

VW Glen Waverley were not very clear if they would or would not. They said that as log as the part numbers match up to what we have in Australia, there should be no problems having it installed. They were very insistent that if I ordered it from
Overseas that it couldn't possibly be tur correct part number...

VW Berwick was great. I spoke to Michael in the service department who said right off that there should be no issues getting it installed. I mentioned to him that I wanted to get the MK11 Bluetooth installed and he said it would be fine

VW Camberwell need to give me a call back as they were quite busy.

Volkspower refuse to install it. They will only install parts they order in. They wanted $1500 Bluetooth. They would not give me the part number, and only told me that it was a genuine VW part. $3000 for Sat Nav.

P.S VW Berwick said it would be $400ish dollars to have the Sat Nav and Bluetooth installed.

Pepe
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
For those in Victoria:

I have spoken to VW Glen Waverley, VW Berwick and VW Camberwell about getting Sat Nav and Bluetooth installed into the car.

VW Glen Waverley were not very clear if they would or would not. They said that as log as the part numbers match up to what we have in Australia, there should be no problems having it installed. They were very insistent that if I ordered it from
Overseas that it couldn't possibly be tur correct part number...

VW Berwick was great. I spoke to Michael in the service department who said right off that there should be no issues getting it installed. I mentioned to him that I wanted to get the MK11 Bluetooth installed and he said it would be fine

VW Camberwell need to give me a call back as they were quite busy.

Volkspower refuse to install it. They will only install parts they order in. They wanted $1500 Bluetooth. They would not give me the part number, and only told me that it was a genuine VW part. $3000 for Sat Nav.

P.S VW Berwick said it would be $400ish dollars to have the Sat Nav and Bluetooth installed.

Berwick FTW then :)

As for Sydneysiders, I've had positive experiences with the parts people at Chatswood Classic and McCarrolls @ Hornsby (the Chatswood guy was stoked to help out on the 9ZB thing). Can't say what the service people are like yet, but both those places for parts seemed to have helpful, friendly staff.

rs73
06-10-2010, 01:58 PM
For those in Victoria:

I haven't spoken to any VW dealerships but Volkspower story is right, they wanted $3k for RNS510 I am yet to get detail whether for that price they'll cover it for warranty , provide maps in DVD (not just preinstalled) and a genuine user guide for the RNS510 unit.
At the end of the day if we get the ebay stuff for $1k give or less delivered, plus install+programming time/cost it might still cost over double to get it done @ Volkspower but if warranty is essential then it might still worth to consider

Haven't spoken to Berwick VW but $400-ish for satnav+bt sounds a bit thin, the last ad I saw of a car they had there shown a BT unit sitting on the dash near the A-pillar which means it's probably not one of those seamless one. I could only assume the sat-nav may not be genuine, unless $400 you mentioned above is only the install labour cost not including any parts?

PS: Had contacted Volkwerke in Heidelberg but their "computer" expert is away so might try again when he's back next week

Ryan_R
06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
The '$400' is just the installation/programming cost. He is thinking of buying the parts from Ebay.

I'm still wondering when the showroom (building) will be finished at Berwick. It was supposed to be completed around April 2009 but last time I was there they were still in a little portable building.

sharkablue
06-10-2010, 05:38 PM
PS: Had contacted Volkwerke in Heidelberg but their "computer" expert is away so might try again when he's back next week

I have also contacted Volkwerke and was informed the same thing. There is forum member here that had the LED brake lights, needle staging and corning lights setup from there and he very high praises from them.

I also asked about getting Sat Nav and Bluetooth fitted through them and I was told to call next week as the main bloke who can help us is away for the week.

If they offer a good price we should time it so we have our cars there at the same time.

sharkablue
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Here are some videos of the 9W7 Bluetooth kit being used in America:

YouTube - Bluetooth 9W7 for your 2011 VW's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR03sNJ-sl8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdO****DCI&feature=fvw

sharkablue
06-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Haven't spoken to Berwick VW but $400-ish for satnav+bt sounds a bit thin, the last ad I saw of a car they had there shown a BT unit sitting on the dash near the A-pillar which means it's probably not one of those seamless one. I could only assume the sat-nav may not be genuine, unless $400 you mentioned above is only the install labour cost not including any parts?

The $400 was a quote for the labour costs of having the Bluetooth and Sat Nav installed if I provided it to them.

rs73
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Here are some videos of the 9W7 Bluetooth kit being used in America:

YouTube - Bluetooth 9W7 for your 2011 VW's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR03sNJ-sl8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPdO****DCI&feature=fvw

graphic's different to mine, and I think I don't have ring tone menu, so looks like mine's not 9W7...
or maybe ringtone menu only enabled with certain phones? my phone's running on WM6 (an old HTC)

Pepe
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
My 9W7 arrived in the mail today... RVC too :) Just waiting for some bits and bobs from the US and I'll be fitting them both this weekend or next, will be able to tell you how hard it really is.

sharkablue
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
My 9W7 arrived in the mail today... RVC too :) Just waiting for some bits and bobs from the US and I'll be fitting them both this weekend or next, will be able to tell you how hard it really is.

Awesome news mate,

Please keep us posted. I am 'this' close to ordering a 9W7 and RNS 510 off eBay.

Are you able to let us know where you purchased your 9W7 from? and also can you let us know what the part number for your unit is?

The previous poster who installed it into his passat said he had version 'B' of the unit however all the ones I have read up about online and that are on ebay are version 'C'.

Keep us posted.

Ryan_R
06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd also love to hear how you go fitting the RVC - I wanted to fit one but it seemed like too much of a job. If you manage to provide basic instructions and pictures then even better. I asked the Ebay store that sold it for instructions and all I got was this image (http://lh4.ggpht.com/_C0PrNGg_f9I/TKxh5jAVpMI/AAAAAAAAGKQ/Ra__wM5sRdg/s800/cam_1024.jpg). I've also seen the Mk5 basic instructions that are online somewhere.

rs73
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
there's more bits and bobs required I read... like the drain pipe from the bottom of RVC to the bottom of the hatch otherwise u'd get water all over the lock assembly, as well as some relay or adapter to make connecting to the reverse light and 12ve etc a lot easier and neater...

sharkablue
07-10-2010, 05:30 AM
there's more bits and bobs required I read... like the drain pipe from the bottom of RVC to the bottom of the hatch otherwise u'd get water all over the lock assembly, as well as some relay or adapter to make connecting to the reverse light and 12ve etc a lot easier and neater...

Hey mate,

Can you please let us know the part number that is on the casing of your Bluetooth box? Can you also let us know where you ordered the part from?

Pepe
07-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Polish eBay guy of course ;) And my part number is 7P6 035 730C

And yes, all the extra bits and bobs for the RVC adds up to another $150 shipped (VWA can supply them all, but very pricey). I've found a couple of informative pages showing how to wire up the loom, how to thread the cable, do the fuse box etc... I'll post up a guide once I'm done.

rs73
07-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Polish eBay guy of course ;) And my part number is 7P6 035 730C

And yes, all the extra bits and bobs for the RVC adds up to another $150 shipped (VWA can supply them all, but very pricey). I've found a couple of informative pages showing how to wire up the loom, how to thread the cable, do the fuse box etc... I'll post up a guide once I'm done.

is yours mk6?

will be great to see some install steps. all info i read are retro fitting rvc on mk5 . although similar but there were some differences if fittingon mk6 so an mk6 version ofhow to will be nice.

Pepe
07-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Yeah, Mk6 Golf R. Most of the pages talk about Mk5 fitment, but one or two mention what's different for the Mk6.

Ryan_R
07-10-2010, 08:29 AM
We'll have to make a thread for the RVC. I think I've read the same guide that you're referring to. Mk6 photos would be great. Maybe corey can move/copy these posts to a new thread for us.

Pepe
07-10-2010, 08:59 AM
I'll post up an installation thread on each to track progress, might just make it cleaner.

sharkablue
07-10-2010, 08:54 PM
I am going to be contacting some VIC VW Dealers to confirm part numbers with them tomorrow:

So just to confirm this here:

9W3 = Skoda Kit = 1Z0 035 729 E
9W7 = 9ZB (a.k.a MK11 Bluetooth kit) = 7P6 035 730 C

???

Pepe
07-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Yep.. although the cars arriving with the 9ZB kits now are actually only 730B, not 730C.

rs73
07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
From 1st post:

1Z0 035 729 D - works with new white MFD. Some rumours that it does A2DP, but no-one appears to have actually proven it...

I just checked the BT pairing setting on my WM6 phone and it has wireless stereo service, so my mystery might be solved, I think I may have this D unit. going to have to try playing some songs with the phone's media player and see if it gets relayed...

sharkablue
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Yep.. although the cars arriving with the 9ZB kits now are actually only 730B, not 730C.

Yeah I noticed that too. I cant seem to find any reference of the 7P6 035 730 B anywhere on the Internet. There is one UK forum where someone has asked what the differences are between the B and C versions and no one has replied.

I know the Skoda kit came in a few different variations over its life (A/B/C/D/E etc ) which suited the Red MFD and then the White MFD

Does anywhere here know what the differences are between the 9W7 B and C revisions?

As I said google doesn't really shed much light on it.

Pepe
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Polish guy has 730B available too.

Many people have put 730C in so I'm pretty confident it should work with a MY10/RNS/etc

sharkablue
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
I called the Glen Waverley dealer today and spoke to a nice guy in the parts department. I gave him the 730B part number to look up and he said he had no idea that the MK11 Golf's had a factory Bluetooth option...

He said he couldnt find the part number in his system?

I have my car booked in to be looked at on Wednesday and Im going to go in hand with the part numbers listed here for the Skoda Kit and this MK11 Factory Bluetooth and just make sure it is a part listed.

Because if it is listed, that means they can fit it, and I am more then happy to hand over $250/$300 to have a dealer fit it.

Peteaussi
19-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I just ordered my 9W7 bluetooth from Ebay from a guy in Spain. Feedback score of 886 and 100% feedback. I have had a few emails with him and it all seems kosher. All up was AU$399.48 which is pretty decent considering I almost forked out $470 from the Polish guy for one the other week. The bloke on Ebay is *Bluewagen*.

MurphyTheElf
19-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I just ordered my 9W7 bluetooth from Ebay from a guy in Spain. Feedback score of 886 and 100% feedback. I have had a few emails with him and it all seems kosher. All up was AU$399.48 which is pretty decent considering I almost forked out $470 from the Polish guy for one the other week. The bloke on Ebay is Bluewagon.

This sounds like a good deal to me. I might finally take the plunge. Does the kit come with microphone or any special wiring? And are you planning on installing it yourself or are you going to try a dealer (John Hughes won't do it) or autoelectrician to do it?

Ryan_R
19-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Cool price - I'd nearly buy one and just swap the 9W3 module for it (there's a little voice in my head telling me not to waste my money for two extra features I'll never use). :)

Murphy - the kit from the Polish guy comes with everything you need (besides tools). The install takes a while the first time around but is pretty simple (assuming you can use a computer and program the VCR/PVR). It's more fiddly than anything else, when it comes to getting the microphone cable through the roof.

The only gotcha is that you need access to VCDS to enable the new phone features in your car, which most dealers are happy to do for about $80.

Peteaussi
19-10-2010, 08:44 PM
This sounds like a good deal to me. I might finally take the plunge. Does the kit come with microphone or any special wiring? And are you planning on installing it yourself or are you going to try a dealer (John Hughes won't do it) or autoelectrician to do it?

Comes with all of the adaptors, microphone, all of the goodies. It is plug and play. I do understand that you need some VCDS modifications in order to get the full functionality. Talking to a bloke at Quattro motors he says about $45 bucks should do it if I get to that point.

Syd118TSI
20-10-2010, 07:59 AM
I put the 730C (9w7) in the same time as putting in the RNS510 and it all works perfectly. The install wasn't hard, I mounted the bluetooth behind the climate controls below the RNS510. I used cable ties to hold it in place to prevent any potential noises/rattles. The cabling connects into the stereo connection, a couple of passthrough mic connections, then the mic cable gets run behind the dash up the a-pillar across the roof to the mic housing. SHould be able to do it all yourself without too much hassle, the cables are all ready to plug in. You'll need a T20 screwdriver to get the stereo out, and a T25 screwdriver to remove the a-pillar trim.

Peteaussi
20-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I put the 730C (9w7) in the same time as putting in the RNS510 and it all works perfectly. The install wasn't hard, I mounted the bluetooth behind the climate controls below the RNS510. I used cable ties to hold it in place to prevent any potential noises/rattles. The cabling connects into the stereo connection, a couple of passthrough mic connections, then the mic cable gets run behind the dash up the a-pillar across the roof to the mic housing. SHould be able to do it all yourself without too much hassle, the cables are all ready to plug in. You'll need a T20 screwdriver to get the stereo out, and a T25 screwdriver to remove the a-pillar trim.

Muchly appreciated. Where are the screws for the a-pillar trim? I would've presumed it was just clipped onto the a-pillar as with most cars (at least my old Yaris and prior to that my civic coupe).

LovemyGTI
20-10-2010, 03:55 PM

Hi Syd118TSI

I currently have the 9w2 (AD2P, no address book) and was considering upgrading to the 9w7. However, some US forums suggested it is a straight swap out of the 9w2 with the 9w7 under the passenger seat. I looked under the seat and I don't see the foam box.

Mine was a dealer fit so I'm not sure where they installed it? In theory it should still be a straight swap (power, wiring loom to RNS, antenna, microphone all exist for the 9w2).

Would you have any words of wisdom to share with me?

Syd118TSI
20-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Muchly appreciated. Where are the screws for the a-pillar trim? I would've presumed it was just clipped onto the a-pillar as with most cars (at least my old Yaris and prior to that my civic coupe).

Therer is one screw behind the AIRBAG plastic clip. Obviously be careful when removing the a-pillar trim as there is an airbag behind it. The clip itself clips out but requires a little bit of pressure. Removing the a-pillar trim makes it much easier to get the mic cable from the pillar across to the roof space where there is actually quite a bit of room to run the cable across over to the centre light console where the mic is mounted (also T20 screwdriver to remove this after unclipping the top using a thin card).

Syd118TSI
20-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Syd118TSI

I currently have the 9w2 (AD2P, no address book) and was considering upgrading to the 9w7. However, some US forums suggested it is a straight swap out of the 9w2 with the 9w7 under the passenger seat. I looked under the seat and I don't see the foam box.

Mine was a dealer fit so I'm not sure where they installed it? In theory it should still be a straight swap (power, wiring loom to RNS, antenna, microphone all exist for the 9w2).

Would you have any words of wisdom to share with me?

I wouldn;t take anything I say as gospel but it should be a straight swap once you locate the box! The 9w7 is all in one plastic enclosure (as I think is the 9w2) that has a single connector on it that includes the mic cable. I bought mine from the Polish ebay seller, so I can't say for sure how each cable set will be prepared. The length for all the cables was fine for me for mounting behind /under the dash under the stereo, if I had to mount it on the floor under the seat the cables would not have been sufficient length.

So I guess for you the important thing would be to locate the existing unit! I'd say the dealer would have installed it in the dash as there is plenty of room to do so. A call to them should confirm this for you.

LovemyGTI
20-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I wouldn;t take anything I say as gospel but it should be a straight swap once you locate the box! The 9w7 is all in one plastic enclosure (as I think is the 9w2) that has a single connector on it that includes the mic cable. I bought mine from the Polish ebay seller, so I can't say for sure how each cable set will be prepared. The length for all the cables was fine for me for mounting behind /under the dash under the stereo, if I had to mount it on the floor under the seat the cables would not have been sufficient length.

So I guess for you the important thing would be to locate the existing unit! I'd say the dealer would have installed it in the dash as there is plenty of room to do so. A call to them should confirm this for you.

Thanks for the info. Can you point me to instructions on how to remove the RNS510 unit and see where the cables lead to? I can't see how else I can locate the existing unit!

Maverick
20-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi Syd118TSI

You can look under the passenger seat as much as you want but we drive on the other side of the car so you should be looking under the drivers seat which is where the bluetooth kits should be installed.

Maverick
20-10-2010, 05:17 PM

Volkswagen / Skoda OEM Bluetooth Install (http://www.my-gti.com/3/)

Volkswagen Skoda Bluetooth Car Kit Microphone Install in Volkswagen Golf (http://www.my-gti.com/1866/)

Syd118TSI
20-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Can you point me to instructions on how to remove the RNS510 unit and see where the cables lead to? I can't see how else I can locate the existing unit!

RNS510 Retrofit (http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=152441.0)

By far the hardest part of the install was running the mic cable. You'll already have that done, so the rest should be quite easy. I'm not sure what all the differences in features are between the old unit and the 9w7, but if one of them is voice control is you want to enable the mic button on the steering wheel (assuming it isn't already done) you'll need to make the necessary changes using VCDS.

LovemyGTI
20-10-2010, 08:41 PM
You can look under the passenger seat as much as you want but we drive on the other side of the car so you should be looking under the drivers seat which is where the bluetooth kits should be installed.

Thanks but I did look under both front seats. I suspect the US bluetooth is a factory option...

Pepe
20-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I've seen reports of both. I ended up buying the foam cover from the US as part of an order for something else anyway, so if I can put it under the seat, I will :)

fergus
20-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I've seen reports of both. I ended up buying the foam cover from the US as part of an order for something else anyway, so if I can put it under the seat, I will :)

Pepe, I just bought the 9W7 today from the guy in Spain. Could you please give me a link to the website you bought the Foam Cover from and also a partnumber ?

fergus
20-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I'll post up an installation thread on each to track progress, might just make it cleaner.

Pepe, Have you had a chance to put your install guide together yet ?

fergus
20-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Syd - If yours is a Mk6, can you please explain the Mic Passthrough (& possibly point me to the wiring diags) ?

Peteaussi
20-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Pepe, I just bought the 9W7 today from the guy in Spain. Could you please give me a link to the website you bought the Foam Cover from and also a partnumber ?

Shweet.... It is under $400 which is pretty reasonable considering the price of the other units available online.

Pepe
21-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Pepe, Have you had a chance to put your install guide together yet ?

Hopefully this weekend.

1K0 919 737 M

Any of the US parts stores should be able to get that for you. I got mine from vwpartsdepartment.com but ECS should have it too. You could give that number to a local VW parts department too, but they'll probably have to get it from Singapore and it won't be cheap (if you're only ordering 1 thing, that's probably cheaper than getting from the US though).

Maverick
21-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Syd - If yours is a Mk6, can you please explain the Mic Passthrough (& possibly point me to the wiring diags) ?

Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control (http://www.my-gti.com/1234/)

fergus
21-10-2010, 10:20 PM
1K0 919 737 M

Any of the US parts stores should be able to get that for you. I got mine from vwpartsdepartment.com but ECS should have it too. You could give that number to a local VW parts department too, but they'll probably have to get it from Singapore and it won't be cheap (if you're only ordering 1 thing, that's probably cheaper than getting from the US though).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Checked the US parts stores - it's available for as low as about $12 but the freight is a killer at around $60. I think I'll check the aussie dealers to see what they say.

flyingfridge
23-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I know this was supposed to be happening on the MY11 Bluetooth kits but without an official bulletin from VW it's always good to be circumspect....

Today I successfully paired an iPhone 4 with the Factory fitted Premium Bluetooth in a MY11 Multivan Highline. Worked very nicely :)

sharkablue
24-10-2010, 08:22 PM
I paid for the 9W7 kit on Ebay from the guy in Spain. Its all been paid for, but it has not been updated to say it has shipped yet... and I paid on Thursday...

Will keep everyone posted.

Peteaussi
24-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I paid for the 9W7 kit on Ebay from the guy in Spain. Its all been paid for, but it has not been updated to say it has shipped yet... and I paid on Thursday...

Will keep everyone posted.

Mine is the same. Hasn't been updated but his feedback has said he is pretty quick with postage so he may just be **** with updating stuff. Time will tell.

fergus
25-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Mine is the same. Hasn't been updated but his feedback has said he is pretty quick with postage so he may just be **** with updating stuff. Time will tell.

Guys, I bought mine from him on Thursday as well and after emailing him, he gave me a tracking number and a link to a Spanish International Freight website. My 9W7 departed from Spain on 23/10...... So I suggest he's like 95% of the ebay sellers who go to "how NOT to communicate school" ! Email him for a tracking number.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the foam carrier ("bracket") that goes under the seat is available from Dealers in Australia (but they have to order it in from Singapore - 10 days wait). Cost is about $26 but that's heaps cheaper than buying it from the US websites and paying the ripoff US freight charges.

noisuf
25-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to embark on the Skoda B bluetooth upgrade for the Red MFD in a Golf R32. I have a few questions:

I have a Polish kit arriving soon.

1) I read the CAN bus cabling is not compliant to VW specs. What's the adverse affects of using the plug and play cables supplied without replacing with compliant cable? Is the change to compliant cable difficult?

2) Any update on A2DP support?

3) Finding it difficult finding good shielded microphone cabling. GTI site stated 2 core 14/.020 shielded cable (DRAKA DE FLRYWBYM 0.5-A+0.5-A is suitable) but this can only be bought in at least 70m rolls.

4) How sensitive is the microphone? If I wanted to avoid the invisible approach in the dome light...could I put it discreetly elsewhere closer to the RNS510?

Cheers.

sharkablue
25-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Guys, I bought mine from him on Thursday as well and after emailing him, he gave me a tracking number and a link to a Spanish International Freight website. My 9W7 departed from Spain on 23/10...... So I suggest he's like 95% of the ebay sellers who go to "how NOT to communicate school" ! Email him for a tracking number.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the foam carrier ("bracket") that goes under the seat is available from Dealers in Australia (but they have to order it in from Singapore - 10 days wait). Cost is about $26 but that's heaps cheaper than buying it from the US websites and paying the ripoff US freight charges.

Rather then having foam, is there the option of a carpet cover we can use?

Pepe
25-10-2010, 12:06 PM

There is a carpet cut out section under the seat where you put the foam, but it wouldn't be quite big enough for the unit, nor would it wrap the unit up, as it's just a cutout. I left it in place and just put the foam box in there, it fits perfectly as it designed to do and you'd never know it was there.

You could always cover the foam box in carpet if you wanted to I guess.

fergus
25-10-2010, 02:43 PM

The Foam bracket is OEM so it's the best option designed to properly fit over the module. even if you wanted carpet, you would be best to start with the proper foam casing I mentioned earlier and then cover that in carpet if you think anyone is going to be horrified by what they might see if they ever look under your seat.

BlackSuperb
25-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to embark on the Skoda B bluetooth upgrade for the Red MFD in a Golf R32. I have a few questions:

I have a Polish kit arriving soon.

1) I read the CAN bus cabling is not compliant to VW specs. What's the adverse affects of using the plug and play cables supplied without replacing with compliant cable? Is the change to compliant cable difficult?

2) Any update on A2DP support?

3) Finding it difficult finding good shielded microphone cabling. GTI site stated 2 core 14/.020 shielded cable (DRAKA DE FLRYWBYM 0.5-A+0.5-A is suitable) but this can only be bought in at least 70m rolls.

4) How sensitive is the microphone? If I wanted to avoid the invisible approach in the dome light...could I put it discreetly elsewhere closer to the RNS510?

Cheers.

I'll answer questions 3 and 4 as I have the Polish kit but with a white MFD in a Skoda.

Microphone and cable came with the unit so no need to source elsewhere (at least mine did).

I have my micrphone installed in the light fitting in the roof of the car. I don't know about the Golf but in the Skoda, there is a place where the microphone clips in, and the microphone is designed to so. Sensitivity wise, it works perfectly, and the quality is so good, people rarely realise I am talking in my car using the hands free.

noisuf
25-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll answer questions 3 and 4 as I have the Polish kit but with a white MFD in a Skoda.

Microphone and cable came with the unit so no need to source elsewhere (at least mine did).

I have my micrphone installed in the light fitting in the roof of the car. I don't know about the Golf but in the Skoda, there is a place where the microphone clips in, and the microphone is designed to so. Sensitivity wise, it works perfectly, and the quality is so good, people rarely realise I am talking in my car using the hands free.

The ad said microphone but did not say cable...and the photo didn't show a microphone cable either...we'll see...I've found some shielded speaker cables but not in that size...

Did you install the microphone yourself? I'm just a bit iffy about pulling interior parts apart although I do have a few instructions...

Pepe
25-10-2010, 05:27 PM
The ad said microphone but did not say cable...and the photo didn't show a microphone cable either...we'll see...I've found some shielded speaker cables but not in that size...

Did you install the microphone yourself? I'm just a bit iffy about pulling interior parts apart although I do have a few instructions...

My kit from the Polish guy came with a cable long enough to run a Mic up to the bit where the lights are, plus the A2DP loom etc.

BlackSuperb
25-10-2010, 10:06 PM
......Did you install the microphone yourself? I'm just a bit iffy about pulling interior parts apart although I do have a few instructions...
I got a local car audio place to do the installation because it was my first go. All the guy did was run the cable from the bluetooth unit via the front door pillar and fed it to the receptacle in the roof. There was already a microphone installed in there from the pissy Nokia based bluetooth that came with the car. That’s the one that doesn't integrate with the RNS510.

With the Skoda Superb, there is plenty of room behind the dash to store the bluetooth unit so I didn’t have to place it in a bracket under the seat – which makes the cable run a little easier too. I used my own Vagcom to program the canbus though.

Now I'm more confident, I had a go at installing a reverse camera and all went well.

noisuf
25-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Hopefully I'll get confident REALLY quickly. ;)

sharkablue
27-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Well the guy in Spain has not updated my shipment details still and tomorrow will be a week since I paid for it.

I have sent him a message via Ebay today and I am still to hear back from him.

Not looking good so far.

Has anyone received their items from the guy in Spain?

Peteaussi
27-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Well the guy in Spain has not updated my shipment details still and tomorrow will be a week since I paid for it.

Not looking good so far.

I ordered mine a week and a half ago (18th) and he hasn't updated anything. I emailed him and he sent me a tracking number which says that it has left Spain but who knows where it may be now.

It will come when it comes. At least it is in the mail!!!

Ryan_R
27-10-2010, 08:54 PM
International shipping within a week is usually the exception rather than the rule. Give it another week.

fergus
27-10-2010, 09:37 PM

Not looking good so far.

Patience please mate. I buy quite a bit on Ebay and it's pretty good 99.9% of the time. The guy has an excellent rating and you have Paypal protection. Most of us won't have experience with Spanish postal services so we aren't too sure how prompt they are. I ordered mine the same day as yours and the last update I had from the Spanish tracking site was that if left Spain to travel internationally on 23rd but we have no idea how many other countries it goes via before it lobs in Oz - I think it's pretty unlikely that it will be direct rom Spain.

rs73
27-10-2010, 09:39 PM
that might be true in europe parcels may have to travel inland across several countries before getting to a major departure point...

when my RNS was shipped, it went from lithuania to netherland, then UK before being flown over to Australia

Pepe
27-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Well, mine's in, and despite not coding it (VAG-COM cable faulty, being replaced), it works anyway! Well, works on the head unit, but not on the MFD yet... but yeah, cool, tested with my Blackberry and works flawlessly!

9ZB/9W7 that is.

fergus
27-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, mine's in, and despite not coding it (VAG-COM cable faulty, being replaced), it works anyway! Well, works on the head unit, but not on the MFD yet... but yeah, cool, tested with my Blackberry and works flawlessly!

9ZB/9W7 that is.

Pepe - have you prepared that install guide yet ? Interested in your experiences in running the Mic cable, fitting it etc. Also was that large plug adapter "plug & play" or did you have to swap any wires around to get the voice recognition working on the Head unit ? Where did you fit the BT unit - under the seat or in the dash ?

Pepe
28-10-2010, 07:00 AM
For my install (and yes, still planning on putting it into a guide, just waiting for my replacement VAGCOM), I just pinched the already installed mic used for voice recognition and it works fine. You do need to cut some wires and do some soldering, but it's fairly straight forward. I do have a link saved somewhere with a good guide on how to fit the mic in the overhead central section though.

I put it under the seat with the foam cover.

The trickiest things were actually running the cables around, my hands can attest to how tight some of the spaces you have to get them into are, they are covered in scrapes and scratches still.

fergus
28-10-2010, 07:22 AM
For my install (and yes, still planning on putting it into a guide, just waiting for my replacement VAGCOM), I just pinched the already installed mic used for voice recognition and it works fine. You do need to cut some wires and do some soldering, but it's fairly straight forward. I do have a link saved somewhere with a good guide on how to fit the mic in the overhead central section though.

What model car did you have again ? I am surprised the mic was there already or did you already have a different model BT unit installed ?

Pepe
28-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Golf R, the mic is installed for voice recognition with the RNS510.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 11:29 AM
My Bluetooth kit arrived today. So it took a week to get here exactly.

Not bad.

Now I need to get my dealer to install it for me... And code my car...

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 12:10 PM
I have called up Barloworld Glen Waverley and the parts department have ordered in the Foam Cover for me:

1K0 919 737 M

$27.10

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 12:11 PM
Now Im also debating wether I order the RNS510 from Ebay too...

Ryan_R
28-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Where else would you get it from? The London seller has a great price and ships very fast.

If anyone gets a new Windows 7 Series Phone I'd be interested to know how well the People Hub (address book) works with the BlueTooth.
Is anyone thinking of getting one? The contract on my Nokia N96 expires in a month or two, and I'm looking to switch from 3 to Telstra NextG at this stage.

fergus
28-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Now Im also debating wether I order the RNS510 from Ebay too...

I was lucky enough to buy my RNS510 on Ebay from someone who bought it here from an Oz VW Dealer but never installed it. It came with the original DVD which the Lithuania & Spanish ones dont. When buying from Europe, factor into your budget that you might need to buy a DVD if the Navigation Maps ever get screwed on the Hard Drive. You can buy the Aussie Map DVD's on Ebay too.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I think I will need to made a new thread for the RNS510, as after looking on Ebay there seem to be alot of variation?

A, B, C
LED Backlight and No LED Backlight
Star Button and no Star Button
30, 60 day warranty
1 year warranty
Different Hardware versions
Different Software versions

fergus
28-10-2010, 06:12 PM
My Bluetooth kit arrived today. So it took a week to get here exactly.

Was it packed well & does it look brand new / came in VW original packaging etc ?

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 08:21 PM
It was packed very well. With bubble wrap and in a nice hard cardboard box.

There was no original packaging, and I have never seen or heard of these parts coming with original packaging as they are not something that the public can normally buy, so I dont see why VW would ever bother wasting the time and resources on having packageing made for it?

The Bluetooth box itself came in a plastic bag which was open at one end.

All the cables required came in another sealed plastic bag, that you will have to cut open to get the parts. This plastic bag also has a VW sticker on it with some part numbers on it.

The bluetooth box itself has no marks on it from what I can see and has the sticker on it with the part number and that it was made in Germany like you can see on all the eBay images.

Unfortunately I wont be able to tell if it works or not, until I give it to a VW Dealer to install for me. Which wont happen until my foam cover also arrives. Which I have been told will take up to 2 weeks, as the part comes from Singapore.

So that gives me more time to see if I want the RNS510 or not. As $1200+ is not something that many people have just lying around to spend on sat nav in a car...

Ryan_R
28-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Your description of the packaging is identical to mine - I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

If you are going to get an RNS 510 - do it now, as you'll basically get the installation for free since they have to take the radio out to install the bluetooth anyway. Do you currently have the RCD 310 or 510? If you've only got the 310 I'd recommend the upgrade. It really does add to the perceived value of the car - and having all my music on the HDD is just great. SatNav (without round marks on the windscreen) is great. Integration with the MFD is... yep, great.

Currently the one I got is available for $1099. It doesn't have that new star button, but you have a voice-control button on your steering wheel already, and I'm not the type of person who likes the idea of talking to my car. :) Choosing contacts to call is already great. You get the whole phone book list in the MFD, and if you hold the up/down arrow keys in, it skips to the first person starting with the Next letter of the alphabet (i.e. Goes from Adam to Brett, skipping everyone else starting with A). You also have names on the touch-screen radio.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Thats great Ryan_R!

I have the RDC510 in my Golf and I was looking at upgrading to the RNS510.

I had exactly the same thoughts as yourself, either I get it now or never, as my dash needs to get pulled apart to have the Bluetooth installed, so I may as well get the RNS510 done at the same time.

I have found a unit on eBay that is one of the newer units:

Revision C
LED Backlight
Star Button

So from what I have read up, this is the latest version of the RNS510.

But I will keep everyone posted on which dealer ends up installing the Bluetooth for me in Victoria.

As I have said, the Berwick dealer was more then happy to assist when I mentioned it to them over the phone. They only condition was that it was genuine VW parts they were dealing with and that I obviously was happy to pay for the labour involved in installing the items.

The Barloworld VW Dealer in Glen Waverley is where I have ordered the foam cover for the Bluetooth kit from. It was $27.10 for those that are intrested. The guy there was very happy to help out. When I did mention having the Bluetooth and RNS510 installed I never got straight answers. However I have since been in good contact with 2 staff members there. One of them fixed some issues I have had with my brake light cluster and boot lining in my car. And the other is a manager of some sort.

So I will keep everyone posted.

oh BTW, for those in VIC, dont bother with Volkspower, they will only install if you purchase from them.

Ryan_R
28-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I live in Berwick. Last time I was there they hadn't finished building the showroom yet. I'm not sure what the LED Backlight actually does on the new one. I've never had issues seeing my unit at night (the entire screen is lit in the same way as my computer monitor at night ????

I kept the voice-activation disabled by choice. I prefer the pause/mute button on the steering wheel for when I want to hear the supercharger.

Peteaussi
28-10-2010, 09:31 PM
It was packed very well. With bubble wrap and in a nice hard cardboard box.

There was no original packaging, and I have never seen or heard of these parts coming with original packaging as they are not something that the public can normally buy, so I dont see why VW would ever bother wasting the time and resources on having packageing made for it?

The Bluetooth box itself came in a plastic bag which was open at one end.

All the cables required came in another sealed plastic bag, that you will have to cut open to get the parts. This plastic bag also has a VW sticker on it with some part numbers on it.

The bluetooth box itself has no marks on it from what I can see and has the sticker on it with the part number and that it was made in Germany like you can see on all the eBay images.

Unfortunately I wont be able to tell if it works or not, until I give it to a VW Dealer to install for me. Which wont happen until my foam cover also arrives. Which I have been told will take up to 2 weeks, as the part comes from Singapore.

So that gives me more time to see if I want the RNS510 or not. As $1200+ is not something that many people have just lying around to spend on sat nav in a car...

I purchased mine on the 18th.... and hasn't yet arrived. Damn living in the Western side of the country!!!

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I live in Berwick. Last time I was there they hadn't finished building the showroom yet. I'm not sure what the LED Backlight actually does on the new one. I've never had issues seeing my unit at night (the entire screen is lit in the same way as my computer monitor at night ????

I kept the voice-activation disabled by choice. I prefer the pause/mute button on the steering wheel for when I want to hear the supercharger.

From what I have read up the LED Screen just gets to full brightness faster then the non LED units. When using the touch screen it is slightly more responsive and in direct sunlight it is easier to read.

The best way to tell if you have a LED backlight RNS510 is to look for that star button instead of the 'i' button apparently.

Other then that, most of the features can be added by software updates.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 10:06 PM

Also on the showroom, Yeah I heard they were still building it, but whereever they do servicing or whatever I guess is working fine. They were alot more laid back and willing to help compared to Glen Waverley thats for sure.

I actually bought by golf from the Glen Waverley dealer, and I have no complaints, other then the fact that I cant get a straight answer from them over the phone regarding if they install VW parts if their parts department have not ordered them and what the labour costs were. I was also put on hold and told to wait... which I thought was just stupid since I had called the service department, they should know what the costs are..

One time on the phone infact, I was not put on hold and I could hear exactly what they were talking about, and they seemed to have no clue and were caught quite off guard with the question. I dont know if its just me? or is asking 2 questions very hard? Simple yes or no answer to "do you install VW parts if I don not buy them through your parts department" and "if you do, what are the labour costs for installing Bluetooth and RNS510 at the same time in a MK6 Golf?"

anyways I will keep people posted on what happens in the next couple of weeks with the Bluetooth installation.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 10:09 PM
On a separate note, I just bit the bullet and ordered the RNS510 from eBay in the UK.

Aussie Maps V3
LED Backlight
Star Button
Revision C

So it looks like the dealer will be installing the Bluetooth and RNS510 at the same time. Ill let people know how this goes and which dealer is up for the job.

Ryan_R
28-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Congrats - start sorting out you music collection into groupd/folders now :)

I created a 5 second silent MP3 file that I've placed in each folder so that I can get the best use out of the Mix/Random/Shuffle feature. Gives me just enough time to turn it on without having to listen to the same song over and over again. I just wish the unit remembered what songs you've already heard so they don't get repeated throughout the week while other tracks are missed.

sharkablue
28-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Congrats - start sorting out you music collection into groupd/folders now :)

haha yeah it will be that or just use my iPhone... I did pay for the MDI so I may aswell use it.

The next thing to get is those LED brake lights...

and then Im also looking for some carbon fibre door mirror caps and front and rear diffusor aswell but that will be a 2011 job I think...

Ryan_R
28-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Gotta love how there's always a "next thing"

I'm not sure what my next thing will be - maybe those pedal caps

Syd118TSI
29-10-2010, 06:39 AM
haha yeah it will be that or just use my iPhone... I did pay for the MDI so I may aswell use it.

You'll be able to stream music from your iPhone over bluetooth using the Bluetooth kit.. so no need to connect it up to MDI.

fergus
30-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I purchased mine on the 18th.... and hasn't yet arrived. Damn living in the Western side of the country!!!

Hey Pete - have you got it yet ? Mine should have been here by now (ordered 2 days after yours) and the stupid spanish tracking site says it's only just left spain ! (It originally said it left there on 23rd but now it's been updated againwith a much later date). If you still don't have yours, have a whinge back to the seller.

Peteaussi
30-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey Pete - have you got it yet ? Mine should have been here by now (ordered 2 days after yours) and the stupid spanish tracking site says it's only just left spain ! (It originally said it left there on 23rd but now it's been updated againwith a much later date). If you still don't have yours, have a whinge back to the seller.

Mine is at the post office waiting. Supposedly they tried to deliver it on the 29th but given that I work all day and only my dogs are home, they wouldn't accept their paw prints as proof that they have my back. The tracking site doesn't seem to update.. I imagine it is all good and well tracking for spanish things in spain but when in australia there may be a slight disjoint in tracking services. Keep your hopes up.. shouldn't take too long now.

fergus
30-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Mine is at the post office waiting. Supposedly they tried to deliver it on the 29th but given that I work all day and only my dogs are home, they wouldn't accept their paw prints as proof that they have my back. The tracking site doesn't seem to update.. I imagine it is all good and well tracking for spanish things in spain but when in australia there may be a slight disjoint in tracking services. Keep your hopes up.. shouldn't take too long now.

Pete - did the Spanish tracking site say for you just that it had left the international departure point and then nothing past that update ?

sharkablue
30-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, for us installing the VW Bluetooth under our seats, do we need to have a metel bracket also to have it fitted?

As I said before the only things that came in the box is the Bluetooth box and all the cables and the mic. No Bracket and no foam box.

If anyone knows that the procedure is for installing it under your seat and if you know what the braket part number is, please let us know!

fergus
30-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey guys, for us installing the VW Bluetooth under our seats, do we need to have a metel bracket also to have it fitted?

As I said before the only things that came in the box is the Bluetooth box and all the cables and the mic. No Bracket and no foam box.

If anyone knows that the procedure is for installing it under your seat and if you know what the braket part number is, please let us know!

I am under the impression that the Foam cover just hugs tight around the BT Module and then the box velcro's to the carpet but I'll let one of the other guys confirm that. The Foam Box has the VW description of "Bracket".

Pepe
30-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I am under the impression that the Foam cover just hugs tight around the BT Module and then the box velcro's to the carpet but I'll let one of the other guys confirm that. The Foam Box has the VW description of "Bracket".

Yep, put it in myself last weekend and this is correct. You carefully put the BT module into the foam "bracket", no screws, etc needed. In fact, when it's in the bracket and fitted, it'd actually not be touching the carpet/floor anyway, as the bracket is deeper than the unit itself. You need to be careful because it could snap if you force it in, but take your time, it only fits into it one way. There are velcro bits glued on to it, which hold the carpet fine. It fits very snuggled into it's position and you'd never know it was there.

Part number should be a page or two back in the thread, I posted it up about 2 weeks ago.

fergus
30-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Yep, put it in myself last weekend and this is correct. You carefully put the BT module into the foam "bracket", no screws, etc needed. In fact, when it's in the bracket and fitted, it'd actually not be touching the carpet/floor anyway, as the bracket is deeper than the unit itself. You need to be careful because it could snap if you force it in, but take your time, it only fits into it one way. There are velcro bits glued on to it, which hold the carpet fine. It fits very snuggled into it's position and you'd never know it was there.

Part number should be a page or two back in the thread, I posted it up about 2 weeks ago.

Yep - and if you look back at the previous info, you will see that 2 or 3 of us have bought the foam bracket from Aussie Dealers as a spare part for $27.10. It'll take about 10 days to arrrive as they have to order it in from the regional parts centre in Singapore

sharkablue
30-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Yep - and if you look back at the previous info, you will see that 2 or 3 of us have bought the foam bracket from Aussie Dealers as a spare part for $27.10. It'll take about 10 days to arrrive as they have to order it in from the regional parts centre in Singapore

Ahh I had no idea the Foam cover was also a 'Bracket'. I thought they were 2 separate things. I have already ordered the foam cover from Barloworld Glen Waverley. $27.10

Thanks guys

Peteaussi
30-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Pete - did the Spanish tracking site say for you just that it had left the international departure point and then nothing past that update ?

Yup! That is correct.

Peteaussi
31-10-2010, 11:37 PM
So today I installed my 9w7. It is absolutely fantastic. It really is plug and play, although VCDS will be required to get to the setting via the MFD. Saying that I can still make and take calls through the headunit.

See the link below for DIY instructions.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B0mQ_wemMfwHMGVjYTAwMTQtZjNmOS00YjI3L WE1YmMtYzM2OGQ3MGY1MjI1&hl=en

Thanks to Ryan_R for his help converting and hosting the document.

Cheers

Pete

fergus
01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
After being the one who was telling everyone else to be patient waiting for their 9W7 from the Spanish guy, it looks like the one I purchased has gone missing ! I ordered it 3 days before the others and there's no sign of mine and no tracking info ! Very annoyed and about to lodge a claim !

Corey_R
01-11-2010, 10:31 AM
It's too early to lodge a claim yet.... in fact, I'd be surprised with such little time having past that they'd even let you log a claim yet (usually you have to wait up to 4 weeks).
You haven't given it enough time. Things can get delayed in the mail, there isn't much you can do about it. Just look at the S2TPP Group Buy that we've done to see what I mean. 20 odd items get sent at the same time, and the receipt period spans almost two weeks. Everyone ended up getting it though.

In your previous post, you were asking if you get anything past "international departure point". This means that, as long as the plane didn't crash, it'll have arrived in Australia. From there it goes through customs and Australia Post.

Peteaussi
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Called up the dealer today to see if they could re-code my VCDS when it goes in for a service next week. Said it is easy to do and will set me back about 60 bucks. I got quoted $45 by a non-VW place to do it, provided that I gave them the correct instructions. I'm happy enough to pay 15 bucks extra for piece of mind.

fergus
02-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey Pete, one thing that I wasn't super clear on from your install guide was the location you cable tied the 9w7 to ? Was it to the underneath side of the ledge/cross brace under the radio (eg above the Airconditioning control section ? Also, curious why you didn't put it under the seat - was it because you didn't want to go through the pain of running the cable down the tunnel and under the carpet ?

fergus
02-11-2010, 02:01 PM

I put it under the seat with the foam cover.

The trickiest things were actually running the cables around, my hands can attest to how tight some of the spaces you have to get them into are, they are covered in scrapes and scratches still.

Pele, Can you please explain the details of how/where you ran the cables down to under the seat ?

Pepe
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Pele, Can you please explain the details of how/where you ran the cables down to under the seat ?

Once I finish kicking some soccer balls around, sure! :D

I will edit some pics and put them up... probably easier that way. The threading down behind the console is a bit tricky but just takes some patience. There's a piece of trim that comes off just where the carpet goes up under the trim which helps a lot once it's removed.

fergus
02-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Once I finish kicking some soccer balls around, sure! :D

I will edit some pics and put them up... probably easier that way. The threading down behind the console is a bit tricky but just takes some patience. There's a piece of trim that comes off just where the carpet goes up under the trim which helps a lot once it's removed.

Great thanks. Sorry - that was a genuine typo from using fat fingers on an iPhone !

Peteaussi
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey Pete, one thing that I wasn't super clear on from your install guide was the location you cable tied the 9w7 to ? Was it to the underneath side of the ledge/cross brace under the radio (eg above the Airconditioning control section ? Also, curious why you didn't put it under the seat - was it because you didn't want to go through the pain of running the cable down the tunnel and under the carpet ?

Hi Fergus,

Yeah I cable tied the 9w7 to the cross brace that is underneath the stereo that separates the stereo 'comparment' from the climate control 'compartment'. And I didn't stick it under the seat because I like the space under the seat, cbf running cables here there and everywhere, and also just thought it was a nice discreet place to put it. You still get good bluetooth connectivity with the bluetooth unit behind the stereo and I haven't had any problems.

Hope that answers your queries.

fergus
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks Pete. Presumably the 9w7 doesnt foul against the climate control - looks like there's quite a bit of space there.

Peteaussi
02-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Thanks Pete. Presumably the 9w7 doesnt foul against the climate control - looks like there's quite a bit of space there.

There is quite a lot of space behind the climate control. I was quite surprised how much there was. Really all it is is a control panel so a few cables out the back... it doesn't contain any meat like the headunit does.

Do you have a 9w7 that you are wanting to install?

ronburgundy
03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Went and visited my local VW dealer on the weekend (Werribee), as when I test drove a Jetta there and asked to see the BT in action (before reading this thread) they took me to sit in the service manager's car which was an R36 - and sure enough his MFD read KUFATEC FISCON!

Anyway the gal there showed me a leaflet which showed the BT solution they offer - distributed by AdvancedIce of course. Yep a VW dealer actively spruiking non-OEM products!

Anywho I told her I was after an RCD 510 plus Fiscon and wanted to know how much for them to supply and fit as a starting point.
She said they just had an RCD 510 they'd taken out of a car prior to delivery to fit an RNS 510, and that they would fit it and the BT for $1,600!!! Naturally I asked how quickly I could book it in.

Being an impatient bugger at the best of times I was fully willing to pay $500-$600 (plus probably another $50 each in shipping I'm assuming?) each for the RCD 510 and the BT, and then a further $300 to VW workshop to fit. So you're looking at $1200 minimum plus $300 to fit which comes to $1500 MINIMUM. And not only do I not run any 'risk' of importing, plus having to wait for it to arrive... it will be covered under warranty which I'm pretty happy with.

Booked in for this Saturday (6 November) so will let you know how I go.

How cheap must they have bought the RCD 510 off the customer for, to be able to do the whole lot for $1600??!! I was expecting her to tell me another $500 or so on top of that and was then going to ask how much to fit if I supply the parts.
(PS how lazy/ignorant are people that don't do it themselves and sell it

Pepe
03-11-2010, 01:07 PM
cbf running cables here there and everywhere.

It's 1 cable, that goes to one place.

Peteaussi
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
It's 1 cable, that goes to one place.

One cable that you'd have to run from the headunit to the unit... and back from the unit up to the overhead console. There is a lot of doubling back required.

fergus
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
There is quite a lot of space behind the climate control. I was quite surprised how much there was. Really all it is is a control panel so a few cables out the back... it doesn't contain any meat like the headunit does.

Do you have a 9w7 that you are wanting to install?

Yes if it ever arrives from Spain - 3 weeks and still counting. Picked up the foam bracket today if I put it under seat when Pepe posts up his cable run pics & instructions

noisuf
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Hi Fergus,

Yeah I cable tied the 9w7 to the cross brace that is underneath the stereo that separates the stereo 'comparment' from the climate control 'compartment'. And I didn't stick it under the seat because I like the space under the seat, cbf running cables here there and everywhere, and also just thought it was a nice discreet place to put it. You still get good bluetooth connectivity with the bluetooth unit behind the stereo and I haven't had any problems.

Hope that answers your queries.

hi peteaussie, i'm going to install my bluetooth module behind climate controls also. What did you use as part of the bluetooth module to tie the cable ties as my module is flat on all sides...

Maybe you wrapped it around the cables? Cheers, michael.

Pepe
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
One cable that you'd have to run from the headunit to the unit... and back from the unit up to the overhead console. There is a lot of doubling back required.

No, it's one cable.

One cable that goes from the head unit to the BT unit.

If you don't have a pre-installed mic, then yes, you need to run a mic, but you need to do that regardless, and that goes straight to the head unit anyway, so where you mount the BT unit is irrelevant.

Personally, I think under the seat is better as I'm betting the environment in the dash is warmer than under the seat, so less likely to fail. Plus, no chance it'll come loose and rattle around under the seat. But that's me :)

Oh, and next year, when the super-dooper MY12 BT unit comes out with the built in back scratcher, I can just plug it in and go ;)

Peteaussi
03-11-2010, 10:27 PM
hi peteaussie, i'm going to install my bluetooth module behind climate controls also. What did you use as part of the bluetooth module to tie the cable ties as my module is flat on all sides...

Maybe you wrapped it around the cables? Cheers, michael.

Hi Michael,

I wrapeed the cable ties around the unit and didn't put though any specific holes etc.. I tightened them pretty tight so they shouldn't move and there isn't much in the way of horizontal movement that the bluetooth unit can go through when in there (it is pretty snug).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Peteaussi
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
No, it's one cable.

One cable that goes from the head unit to the BT unit.

If you don't have a pre-installed mic, then yes, you need to run a mic, but you need to do that regardless, and that goes straight to the head unit anyway, so where you mount the BT unit is irrelevant.

Personally, I think under the seat is better as I'm betting the environment in the dash is warmer than under the seat, so less likely to fail. Plus, no chance it'll come loose and rattle around under the seat. But that's me :)

Oh, and next year, when the super-dooper MY12 BT unit comes out with the built in back scratcher, I can just plug it in and go ;)

Pepe... If you read the DIY you would realise that I bought the KIT in that it has the harness, microphone, and module. As such I had to run the microphone. Not everyone who will be doing the 9w7 install will have factory bluetooth already. And the microphone cable attaches to the harness at the point where the connection to the BT module is.

Really it all comes down to peoples preference. As I said, it is the way I did it and if people would like to go about it the same way then they can.

noisuf
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Michael,

I wrapeed the cable ties around the unit and didn't put though any specific holes etc.. I tightened them pretty tight so they shouldn't move and there isn't much in the way of horizontal movement that the bluetooth unit can go through when in there (it is pretty snug).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

Thanks Pete...will need to get some big ass cable ties... :)

Pepe
03-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Pepe... If you read the DIY you would realise that I bought the KIT in that it has the harness, microphone, and module. As such I had to run the microphone. Not everyone who will be doing the 9w7 install will have factory bluetooth already. And the microphone cable attaches to the harness at the point where the connection to the BT module is.

Really it all comes down to peoples preference. As I said, it is the way I did it and if people would like to go about it the same way then they can.

I just looked at the tiny pic on the Spanish eBay seller's site, and it does indeed look like the mic cable runs all the way to the BT connector... in comparison to the Polish guy's harness which has a connector that hooks straight into the back of the RNS with the Mic Out pins, etc. Means there's only one cable that hooks into the BT unit. So, glad I bought the Polish one :)

Also, not that I care, as I floor mounted, but if you floor mount, you only need to take out the RNS, not the console panel too. :)

noisuf
03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I just looked at the tiny pic on the Spanish eBay seller's site, and it does indeed look like the mic cable runs all the way to the BT connector... in comparison to the Polish guy's harness which has a connector that hooks straight into the back of the RNS with the Mic Out pins, etc. Means there's only one cable that hooks into the BT unit. So, glad I bought the Polish one :)

Also, not that I care, as I floor mounted, but if you floor mount, you only need to take out the RNS, not the console panel too. :)

hi pepe...i bought the polish kit too. How did you manage to floor mount the bluetooth module as the cables don't seem long enough to go to the right of the driver then under dash to rns?

Did you route the cables through a different path?

Cheers, michael.

Pepe
04-11-2010, 07:37 AM
hi pepe...i bought the polish kit too. How did you manage to floor mount the bluetooth module as the cables don't seem long enough to go to the right of the driver then under dash to rns?

Did you route the cables through a different path?

Cheers, michael.

First time around, that was my problem too... but, I pulled them back to the area behind the RNS and started again. Once you take out the long, thin trim piece, you can basically run the cable directly down behind the console and out near the gearstick area. You then keep it tucked up in there there's a deliberate opening in the carpet there, which is where you feed it in and it comes out down in the two cut out bits of carpet you'll find under the drivers seat.

When I did it properly the 2nd time around, there's actually slack in the cable, so it's definitely long enough.

noisuf
04-11-2010, 07:44 AM
First time around, that was my problem too... but, I pulled them back to the area behind the RNS and started again. Once you take out the long, thin trim piece, you can basically run the cable directly down behind the console and out near the gearstick area. You then keep it tucked up in there there's a deliberate opening in the carpet there, which is where you feed it in and it comes out down in the two cut out bits of carpet you'll find under the drivers seat.

When I did it properly the 2nd time around, there's actually slack in the cable, so it's definitely long enough.

thanks pepe... So the opening in the carpet the routes to under the drivers seat is large enough for the bluetooth module connector to fit through? What model car did you do this in? I need to install in a mkv golf...

Pepe
04-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Mine's a Mk6 R.

I don't know about in the Mk5, but in the Mk6, there's holes cut in the carpet down there that are the perfect size for the connectors to fit through (the holes are just cut, they don't remove the carpet from them). I can only assume they are for BT fitment, as they are exactly where they need to be.

fergus
04-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Pepe
Photos of the long trim piece would be good so I know which bits you are talking about. Also of the hole etc near the gearstick. When you feed down under the carpet to the cutouts under the seat, were you able to easily slide the cable through or did you have to remove other trim to get your hands under the carpet to pull it through or alternatively poke some stiff wire through to drag the cable through ?

noisuf
04-11-2010, 03:13 PM
hi, i'm now considering the under driver seat install. I've got a 1z0 035 729 b as it's for a mkv golf with red mfd.

is the bracket part number any of the following or something else?
1Z0 035 815
1K0 919 737M

will the cover 1Z0 971 813 62u fit?

Thanks!!!

fergus
04-11-2010, 04:30 PM
hi, i'm now considering the under driver seat install. I've got a 1z0 035 729 b as it's for a mkv golf with red mfd.

is the bracket part number any of the following or something else?
1Z0 035 815
1K0 919 737M

will the cover 1Z0 971 813 62u fit?

Thanks!!!

Mate - look a few pages back in this thread for the bracket we'e been describing that cost us about $27 from VW Dealers in Oz. At the end of the day, it's a lump of foam with 4 bits of velcro stuck on it to secure it to the carpet. From what I understand, the "b" Bluetooth unit is in the same size/shape casing as our "c" 9w7, so the bracket should fit fine. Just get the partnumber a few pages back.

Pepe
04-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Mate - look a few pages back in this thread for the bracket we'e been describing that cost us about $27 from VW Dealers in Oz. At the end of the day, it's a lump of foam with 4 bits of velcro stuck on it to secure it to the carpet. From what I understand, the "b" Bluetooth unit is in the same size/shape casing as our "c" 9w7, so the bracket should fit fine. Just get the partnumber a few pages back.

Yep, I concur with that, everything I've seen on the net shows the 9W3 kit you have should fit that foam bracket.

noisuf
04-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Yep, I concur with that, everything I've seen on the net shows the 9W3 kit you have should fit that foam bracket.

Thanks guys...I was getting a bit confused as some install guides showed a metal bracket.

sharkablue
09-11-2010, 06:15 PM
I have my car booked in at Barloworld Glen Waverley to have the Bluetooth and RNS510 installed.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Is there anything I should stress to the service department?

Like:

- Making sure the RNS510 directions are shown on the MFD?
- Making sure the streering wheel controls work on the RNS510?
- Making sure that the bluetooth menu is displayed on the RNS510?
- Making sure that the bluetooth menu is displayed on the MFD?
- Making sure that the Climatronic settings are displayed on the RNS510 screen when you change temp's and different air direction?

Cheers

Pepe
09-11-2010, 06:24 PM
I have my car booked in at Barloworld Glen Waverley to have the Bluetooth and RNS510 installed.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Is there anything I should stress to the service department?

Like:

- Making sure the RNS510 directions are shown on the MFD?
- Making sure the streering wheel controls work on the RNS510?
- Making sure that the bluetooth menu is displayed on the RNS510?
- Making sure that the bluetooth menu is displayed on the MFD?
- Making sure that the Climatronic settings are displayed on the RNS510 screen when you change temp's and different air direction?

Cheers

OPS if you have parking sensors (no idea if it's possible to do this, just speculating)
Audio screen shows on MFD with info from the RNS

Other than that, can't think of any others, your list is pretty comprehensive.

sharkablue
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
OPS if you have parking sensors (no idea if it's possible to do this, just speculating)
Audio screen shows on MFD with info from the RNS

Other than that, can't think of any others, your list is pretty comprehensive.

Ahh thanks for that. Reversing Camera is also something else I need to stress to them.

I am sure they wont be THAT incompetent, but you never know...

Peteaussi
10-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Car had its first service today and the dealer had no issues coding my bluetooth kit. Cost $60 to code and test... works an absolute treat. I love being able to mess with the settings which is something you can't do if you don't get the coding. :-)

veebs
11-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Peteaussi - which dealer did you go to? I'd love to get the coding myself.

I can fiddle with SOME settings using the RNS, but it sounds like there are more?

Peteaussi
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Peteaussi - which dealer did you go to? I'd love to get the coding myself.

I can fiddle with SOME settings using the RNS, but it sounds like there are more?

I went to Osbourne Park VW which is where I bought my car. I was having it's 7500km service so asked if they'd do it and it appeared as if they did that type of thing pretty regularly as they could give me a price straight away and didn't ask any questions. Some of the settings you can access only through the MFD are:
- Changing ringtones
- Changing the name of your device
- Uploading a new phonebook and changing whether or not it reads first name, last name, or vice versa. I have my phone set as first, last and as stock my RCD phonebook was coming up as last, first so this is something I like a lot.
- Change bluetooth settings - Visibility, which devices are paired, etc.
- Go through the phonebook on the MFD
- Input a number to dial from your steering wheel
Etc etc.

Cheers,

Pete

veebs
12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I went to Osbourne Park VW which is where I bought my car. I was having it's 7500km service so asked if they'd do it and it appeared as if they did that type of thing pretty regularly as they could give me a price straight away and didn't ask any questions. Some of the settings you can access only through the MFD are:
- Changing ringtones
- Changing the name of your device
- Uploading a new phonebook and changing whether or not it reads first name, last name, or vice versa. I have my phone set as first, last and as stock my RCD phonebook was coming up as last, first so this is something I like a lot.
- Change bluetooth settings - Visibility, which devices are paired, etc.
- Go through the phonebook on the MFD
- Input a number to dial from your steering wheel
Etc etc.

Cheers,

Pete

Sounds worthwhile - will definitely ask them about it. I hope John Huges can do the same (bit closer to home). Funny you should mention the ringtone - since upgrading the phone software, the car rings with the same ringtone as the mobile (iPhone 3GS with iOS4.1)

sharkablue
12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
The car was dropped off this morning to have the Bluetooth and Sat Nav installed. I will let everyone know tonight how it went.

Fingers crossed I don't need to go back to the dealer to get anything else done which they happen to forget...

I did stress to them that if they had to ask any questions, to call me at anytime, so we will go from there.

sharkablue
12-11-2010, 07:37 PM
The RNS 510 and Bluetooth were installed fine. No issues at all to report here.

There are only 4 things which are annoying me which I need to get sorted tomorrow.

- The dealer has kept the radio card that came with the unit. I did thankfully take a photo of it this morning before I dropped it off, but they have not given it back to me. Which is something that is very important if I ever pull the battery out of my car for whatever reason.

- They did not use the harness I ordered. They have just installed the unit under the carpet in the car. What is also very odd, is that they have requested on the invoice that I pay for the part I ordered? So I dont know what is going on there.

- The voice activation works if I press the star button on the RNS510, but it doesnt work if I press the mic button on the streering wheel. Instead if pauses whatever is playing.

- The RNS510 took about 10mins to find out where it was while I was driving the car back home. Every time I have turned the car on since, it located me pretty much straight away.

- Something I thought was abit concerning is, after I turned off the car (keys out of the igniton) I can hear a fan making a 'whuring' sound in the dash. Which is clearly coming from the RNS 510. However it did not turn off when I took the keys out of the ignition. I am hoping/guessing it powers off automatically or after you lock the car. But I dont know for sure. Can anyone shed some light on that?

- iPhone 4 running iOS 4.1 works fine with the bluetooth. Phonebook imports really easily too.

Corey_R
12-11-2010, 07:48 PM
- The voice activation works if I press the star button on the RNS510, but it doesnt work if I press the mic button on the streering wheel. Instead if pauses whatever is playing.
That's the default functioning of the MIC button when you don't have the RNS-510. Just remind them that they need to code that for you.

- The RNS510 took about 10mins to find out where it was while I was driving the car back home. Every time I have turned the car on since, it located me pretty much straight away.
I believe this is quite normal for first usage.

- Something I thought was abit concerning is, after I turned off the car (keys out of the igniton) I can hear a fan making a 'whuring' sound in the dash. Which is clearly coming from the RNS 510. However it did not turn off when I took the keys out of the ignition. I am hoping/guessing it powers off automatically or after you lock the car. But I dont know for sure. Can anyone shed some light on that?
You should know by now not to be concerned about stuff like this. Just because you've turned the car off, doesn't mean all the heat has magically disappeared. It'll turn off its internals when it's ready to... the same as the car will leave oil pumps for the turbos and fans for the radiators etc running if it needs to.

sharkablue
12-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I have done a search on the web and it looks like the newer RNS 510's leave their fans running for 20minutes after you close the door. The moment that you open the door the RNS 510 will kick into life. The aim is to have instant on and instant GPS access once you turn the ignition key on apparently.

I have been told to test for sure.

- turn car off
- open door
- stay seated
- close door
- wait 20mins and the fan should turn off, as it thinks you have left the car.

Back on track though, the Bluetooth is brilliant!

Syd118TSI
17-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah the Blutooth is fantastic.

A bargain option at $550 for anyone ordering a new Golf.

I have to wonder though whether it will be compatible with the RCD310, or whether you'll also need to upgrade to an RCD510 or RNS510 which will increase the price for the non GTI/R spec Golf's quite considerably.

wandersen
17-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Don't worry about the code. It is stored in the Vagcom - you only ever have to enter it once for any car.

rs73
17-11-2010, 09:24 PM
so if 2-3 yrs down the track i swap the new RNS510 with the original RCD510 that came with the car originally (e.g. before selling), the RCD510 shouldn't ask for code anymore? reason is because the dealer didn't give RCD510s' code card it was nowhere in the car nor in the manual book or anything...

noisuf
21-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Deleted. Starting new thread as I don't think my post belongs here.

ian
26-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Genuine Bluetooth installed in Sydney for $350 sounds cheap.

OEM VW RCD RNS310, RNS510, MFD3 Bluetooth retrofit kit (eBay item 180590895554 end time 02-Dec-10 22:10:12 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OEM-VW-RCD-RNS310-RNS510-MFD3-Bluetooth-retrofit-kit-/180590895554?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0c0e61c2)

Ryan_R
26-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Doesn't look like the unit I purchased. I would avoid it, as I don't really know much about that one.

Pepe
27-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Genuine Bluetooth installed in Sydney for $350 sounds cheap.

OEM VW RCD RNS310, RNS510, MFD3 Bluetooth retrofit kit (eBay item 180590895554 end time 02-Dec-10 22:10:12 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OEM-VW-RCD-RNS310-RNS510-MFD3-Bluetooth-retrofit-kit-/180590895554?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a0c0e61c2)

That may be the old basic Nokia VW unit. It's definitely not the 9W2, 9W3 or 9W7/9ZB unit.

DreamensioN
06-12-2010, 01:50 PM
I tried searching this thread but...needle -> hay stack.

My question is - does anybody know for sure, if the MY11 Bluetooth upgrade option on the Golf R (for $550) will work with the iPhone?

Corey_R
06-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, it will work with the iPhone.

MY11 Bluetooth = 9ZB and is a factory option.

bee200sx
23-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Hey guys newbie here.

I see a lot of ppl talking about the 9W7 kit for their MK6 golf. I've got a MkV Pirelli with RNS510. Would this kit work or do I have to get the 9W3 kit? Also where is the best place to have the BT kit installed in brissy.

Thanks in advance guys.

Peteaussi
24-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Hey guys newbie here.

I see a lot of ppl talking about the 9W7 kit for their MK6 golf. I've got a MkV Pirelli with RNS510. Would this kit work or do I have to get the 9W3 kit? Also where is the best place to have the BT kit installed in brissy.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hey Mate,

Unfortunately the 9W7 (or 9ZB as known in Aust) won't work with your car as you need the white MFD, and it is my belief that the mk5 has the red MFD.

Cheers,

Pete

redline3345
26-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the foam holder for the 9W7 ??

Pepe
27-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know the part number for the foam holder for the 9W7 ??

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f78/summary-bluetooth-options-rns510-31461-13.html#post575592

ithinkimightbe
27-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

Been installing the 9W7 today into my MK6 GTI and have hit a slight snag. I was able to install the unit successfully, however I am experiencing distortion when placing a call, streaming bluetooth and hitting the voice command button from the steering wheel (hitting the star from the RNS510 isn't distorted though - same function). Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Also interesting to note that my GTI came fitted with a mic, and the 9W7 works flawlessly without even installing the mic that came with the kit.

Ryan_R
27-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Swap the pre-installed mic with the one from the kit perhaps?

Then just make sure all connections are secure and make sure the Telephone Adaption settings in VCDS are correct. Can't think of anything else.

ithinkimightbe
27-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks Ryan. I've had a couple fault codes with VCDS which I'll post later once I have another stab later on tonight. Appreciate your help. If anyone has had similar issues, please let me know :)

Cheers,

Josh

redline3345
28-12-2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f78/summary-bluetooth-options-rns510-31461-13.html#post575592

Cheers for that

redline3345
06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Could anyone advise with regards to:
1. I ordered 1ZO 035 029 from the CarSystems guys in Poland and was sent a 9W7 (p/n 7P6 035 730 C). My car (MY11 Skoda vRS has a Columbus Sat Nav std) - will this BT unit work ok with the Columbus and an iPhone?
2. The start of this thread mentions the need to change the CanBus wiring in the polish supplied kit, as it is non-twisted. The wiring I received has twisted wire connections to CanBus terminals on the quadlock connector. Do I need to get the repair kit and change these wires?
3. Pepe kindly advised the p/n for the foam mounting block for the 9W7 - went to a VW dealer to order it, and experienced a few hissy fits from the dealer - they told me this is a part for a Passat CC and that it may not fit the Skoda (although at $25, it's not a big risk) - does anyone know if this part will fit in to a Skoda Octavia? (p/n 1KO 919 937 M; or 3CO 919 738 A)

Cheers for any help

Pepe
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
3. Pepe kindly advised the p/n for the foam mounting block for the 9W7 - went to a VW dealer to order it, and experienced a few hissy fits from the dealer - they told me this is a part for a Passat CC and that it may not fit the Skoda (although at $25, it's not a big risk) - does anyone know if this part will fit in to a Skoda Octavia? (p/n 1KO 919 937 M; or 3CO 919 738 A)

Your dealer is speaking out of his rear end.

The holder fits the 9W7 kit like a glove, if you look at the pics of it, it's a piece of grey styrofoam with velcro tabs that is no more than a couple of CM wider than the actual unit in any dimension. If you can put the 9W7 unit under the chair and have more than a couple of CM clearance in all directions, you'll be fine, it'll just stick to the carpet wherever.

Dealer should be happy to take your $25 for a piece of styrofoam!

ithinkimightbe
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Just finished installing my 9W7 from the Spanish eBay seller. My previous 9W7 that was originally sent out to me was faulty after successfully installing a new 9W7 that arrived today (I had garbled/distorted audio). Many thanks to Pepe and Peteaussi for their help on this thread. Ended up mounting the 9W7 behind the climate control and had no need to wire any mic lead through the A pillar as my GTI came with factory voice recognition. Unit works perfectly, half an hour install once you know what you're doing, few minutes on VCDS recoding the phone and definitely the best option for OEM bluetooth for ~$400AUD. Highly recommend.

irishkiwi
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi

Im new to this forum - first post, but have spent the last couple of days digesting this topic

I have booked in for my Fiscon Basic installation with my local dealer for next Thursday. $650 for the unit and installation - which I think is a pretty good deal.

I have been assured it will work with my model, my phone and will do the MFD and MF controls.

Cant wait! I will keep you informed of how it all goes.

Irish

Sammy125TDi
13-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Can someone confirm if this is the 9W7 that i want for my MY10 GTI with RNS510?

OEM VW Bluetooth kit RCD RNS510 A2DP GSM Voice Control (eBay item 280572170219 end time 05-Feb-11 00:29:54 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OEM-VW-Bluetooth-kit-RCD-RNS510-A2DP-GSM-Voice-Control-/280572170219?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4153678feb)

Cheers
Sam

Pepe
13-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Can someone confirm if this is the 9W7 that i want for my MY10 GTI with RNS510?

OEM VW Bluetooth kit RCD RNS510 A2DP GSM Voice Control (eBay item 280572170219 end time 05-Feb-11 00:29:54 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OEM-VW-Bluetooth-kit-RCD-RNS510-A2DP-GSM-Voice-Control-/280572170219?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4153678feb)

Cheers
Sam

No, that's the 9WZ kit... does rSAP (ie, text messaging) but means you also have to install a GSM antennae as well as the rest to get it working. Don't know of anyone here that's put one in, but it should be fine for a MY10 GTI I would say.

Sammy125TDi
13-01-2011, 09:36 PM
No, that's the 9WZ kit... does rSAP (ie, text messaging) but means you also have to install a GSM antennae as well as the rest to get it working. Don't know of anyone here that's put one in, but it should be fine for a MY10 GTI I would say.

Can you point me at the kit that i want? the 9w7/MY11 9ZB??

the one that displays phonebook etc in the MFD... something that will work with my iphone 3gs

thanks

redline3345
14-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Can you point me at the kit that i want? the 9w7/MY11 9ZB??

the one that displays phonebook etc in the MFD... something that will work with my iphone 3gs

thanks

This may well be a case of The blind
Leading the blind, and I do not endorse this, but you could have a look at: VW Bluetooth KIT RCD mfd... (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170512768603&cmd=VIDESC&title=Description&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=33403882162) I recently purchased this BT for my MY11 vRs Octavia with Columbus (same as RNS510). I have been assured it works with the RNS510 & the blurb with the ad indicates it works with 3Gs & white dot matrix displays. It comes with only the module, microphone and wiring kit. The aerial, from all accounts is built in. It does not come with foam mount/bracket to mount it under the seat (source separately from VW), but I have noted at least 1 forum entry suggesting it possibly can be mounted behind the RNS (would be v v tight from all accounts). I stress again, I am far from an authority on the subject, and am still waiting on the foam mount to install mine (which could happen as soon as The flood crisis here abates and I can get to Brisbane!)

Sammy125TDi
14-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Leading the blind, and I do not endorse this, but you could have a look at: VW Bluetooth KIT RCD mfd... (http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=170512768603&cmd=VIDESC&title=Description&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=33403882162) I recently purchased this BT for my MY11 vRs Octavia with Columbus (same as RNS510). I have been assured it works with the RNS510 & the blurb with the ad indicates it works with 3Gs & white dot matrix displays. It comes with only the module, microphone and wiring kit. The aerial, from all accounts is built in. It does not come with foam mount/bracket to mount it under the seat (source separately from VW), but I have noted at least 1 forum entry suggesting it possibly can be mounted behind the RNS (would be v v tight from all accounts). I stress again, I am far from an authority on the subject, and am still waiting on the foam mount to install mine (which could happen as soon as The flood crisis here abates and I can get to Brisbane!)

Thanks mate, can anyone confirm this?

ctan
14-01-2011, 02:05 PM
After reading the options here I am considering installing the FISCON product on my Golf MK6. I called up Barloworld today and asked if they do this. The guy on the phone advised me they offer 3 options - Basic, Touchscreen and $2400 unit (Skoda I think). When I asked if they do the FISCON unit, he told me a customer bought a unit off ebay from the US (he did not say what product it was) to install on his R32. He said it "fried" the RNS 510. He had the RNS 510 replaced and it "fried" it the second time around. Is he having me on? Has anyone experienced problems with FISCON on RNS510? Does anyone know what product he is talking about?

Ryan_R
14-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Well, you could pay $2400 for them to do it, or you could spend around $400 getting the parts off Ebay and doing it yourself (or finding someone else to do it). Of course dealers aren't going to be happy. I didn't use FISCON, but got the genuine 9W3 kit off Ebay and did it myself, and my RNS510 is fine.

I can't comment on the R32 mentioned above, but maybe the person installing it made a stupid mistake along the way.

Berwick VW (Victoria) are fairly happy to do the installation - you can call them and ask how much they charge to do it. You can compare the price to various dealers in NSW.

Pepe
14-01-2011, 11:03 PM

That's the 9W7 kit. I have that installed in my car, under the seat with foam bracket and all! :) There is no inbuilt antenna in that one, it uses the phone's one instead, it simply does the handsfree, phonebook, MFD and A2DP streaming... 9WZ is a bit more complex as it has it's own antenna to install.

I would be cautious about it, it's a US part and mentions dual band 3G support, but Telstra is the only network here that uses the same bands as the US, so if you're on a carrier other than Telstra here, you might have reception issues.

nik
16-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Does anybody know of a place in canberra or sydney which can install the fiscon units? I'd be supplying the hardware myself, I'd just rather the onus be on somebody else that nothing gets destroyed during installation :facepalm:

bee200sx
20-01-2011, 12:13 PM
sorry to hijack your post nik, but i'm in the same boat. Anybody know of a reputable installer in Brisbane who can install and supply the 9W7 unit? I would do it myself but I'd rather it be done properly. I don't want to loose an arm and a leg by going to a VW Dealership.

irishkiwi
20-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Hmmmm

Got my Fiscon Basic installed today and am very disappointed.

I was told it would work with the MFD and the MFS and doesnt work with either......

I have been told that I have the 1/2 MFD which doesnt allow the Fiscon to talk to it
Also, it doesnt audibly ring when the phone rings, nor does the MFS buttons answer or hang up the call as described.

Anyone have any comments?

As I understand it - there is only one set of wires to be connected to the back of the radio - with no wires direct into the car itsellf.

Cheers

Irish

phantomcamel
20-01-2011, 03:57 PM
He said it "fried" the RNS 510. I dare say dodge installation! I have fitted about a dozen for my customers & there have been no issues. I suggest to get someone like "JCA" (might pay to do a ring around or find out on the forum who has installled one in your area )to install it & let the VW technicians do the coding - prepare for resistance. The FISCON units are great & you can even upgrade the software, so if a new phone is released...bingo!

Big_rich
24-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi All

I am installing a 9WZ kit. I am taking lots of photos and I will post all the whys and wherefores when I have a chance but I am looking for a little advice at the moment.....

It works great guns in SIM Access mode. However, I have been trying to pair my Palm Treo 750 (Windows Mobile 6 PDA) which only supports Hands Free Profile, without success. Does anyone know of any issues with pairing a Treo, or WM6 phone generally, with any of the HFP kits? I have paired this phone in other cars and use a BT headset with it daily.

I am trying to find the best place to locate the antenna. One of the points of using the SAP ("Premium") BT kits is to optimise transmission performance by having the transceiver built into the car, and antenna placement is an important aspect of that. Does anyone know where they install the antenna in the factory for any of the "Premium" kits? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks

Richard

CSR
02-02-2011, 01:00 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at the "Premium VW kit" and it looks like there are quite a few CHEAP ones around now on ebay and other sites.
For e.g -
VW Golf Mk5/6 / Skoda / Seat MFD2 RNS 510 Premium Bluetooth kit (http://www.uvworldwide.co.uk/ice-navigation/vw-golf-mk56-skoda-seat-mfd2-rns-510-premium-bluetooth-kit-p-2304.html)
VW Bluetooth KIT 1Z0035729B RCD mfd3 RNS RNS510 iPHONE - eBay (item 170579599870 end time Feb-12-11 13:23:46 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170579599870&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT)

I can see they are two different units in the photo but it should really be the same thing shouldn't it..Both suit the red MFD and both are for the MKV. The Ebay one doesn't have rSAP though I guess.

Anyway that doesn't matter, my main question is this - WHY does the OP say it's $2,200 fitted and $1,600 + fitting from Kufatec if it is available on other websites for less than $500 AUD ?? Is this not the same kit, or has the price come down?

I've read through all the pages and really everyone seems to be talking about the Skoda kit and not this one..Sorry if this has been answered already.

Transporter
02-02-2011, 07:03 AM
I ordered this one for our Tiguan. Bluetooth VW RNS 510 9WZ Premium 2011 !!! 5N0 035 730 D - eBay (item 320645757607 end time Feb-19-11 04:45:10 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bluetooth-VW-RNS-510-9WZ-Premium-2011-5N0-035-730-D-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa7f9faa7QQitemZ32064 5757607QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts)
It looks like the Skoda kit and 9WZ is the same one. They all come from Poland, some come with the foam box and GSM antenna and are usually approx. $20 more.

cktsi
04-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyway that doesn't matter, my main question is this - WHY does the OP say it's $2,200 fitted and $1,600 + fitting from Kufatec if it is available on other websites for less than $500 AUD ?? Is this not the same kit, or has the price come down?

I've read through all the pages and really everyone seems to be talking about the Skoda kit and not this one..Sorry if this has been answered already.

I'm wondering as well. The MFD3 option looks to be a genuine part available for a lot less $$$$. My guess is MFD3 is very recent. .::MFD3::. - A Dedicated Site To The RNS-510 VW Nav System (http://www.mfd3.com) shows that the 9W7 kit was advertised back in July 2010... compared to the last edit April 2010 from the OP. It would be good to compare the features of 9W7 against the VW supplied option.

Don't know if 9W7 technically has rsap, but looks like you can download the phonebook to the bluetooth module memory. Superficial glance says it looks competitive feature & price wise against all the options in the first posting.