PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change interval

sama13
07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Hello guys,

I just wanted to know on the 2.0 TSI engine what is the recommended oil change interval, here in Guatemala they told me 10,000 kms, but our ambient is very polluted and full of dirt and smoke, on the 1.8T the dealerships here (the 4 VAG's) changed every 5,000 kms, what do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!!!

team_v
07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I would go with a preventative 5000km oil change.

This will hopefully stop any problems rather than leaving it the whole 10,000 and possibly encountering some problems.

gerhard
07-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Dirty air conditions would suggest a more frequent change of air filter, but very little impact on oil change interval. If VW suggests 10,000k oil changes, you can stick with that. If you are concerned, you can use the better "longlife" oil spec, or you can use "shortlife" spec oil but change every 5000.

Most important, though, is probably to check/change the air filter more often.

sama13
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I have bought a case of Motul 504.00 the long life one, but I'm going to have more power on the Tiggy and probably it's going to be driven har, on the clients 1.8T's that I tuned we always used Motul 8100 XCess 502.00 cert., do you think it's better to the 5000 interval with that oil?

Alejandro

NZTiguan
07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Be a bit cautious with the shorter intervals because modern oils contain detergents that "clean" the engine. Too much detergent (ie: oil changes too frequent) is bad for the engine as it causes excess wear !! I'd say stick to the 10,000k as suggested by the agent.

Cheers

Pullstarter
07-07-2009, 07:34 PM
I was under the impression that the oil change intervals were 15000k's? I intend to do mine every 7500kms with the factory oil.

Transporter
07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Be a bit cautious with the shorter intervals because modern oils contain detergents that "clean" the engine. Too much detergent (ie: oil changes too frequent) is bad for the engine as it causes excess wear !! I'd say stick to the 10,000k as suggested by the agent.

Cheers

Can you tell me please where did you read about it?

NZTiguan
08-07-2009, 07:15 AM
Can you tell me please where did you read about it?

I can't remember where I read it specifically but I've seen it mentioned on a number of forums when people have "thought" they were doing their vehicle a favour by changing the oil more frequently than recommended. The information I first remember seeing came from a VW Tech in Britain when people where discussing different oil change strategies.

Cheers

brad
08-07-2009, 08:59 AM
I can't remember where I read it specifically but I've seen it mentioned on a number of forums when people have "thought" they were doing their vehicle a favour by changing the oil more frequently than recommended. The information I first remember seeing came from a VW Tech in Britain when people where discussing different oil change strategies.

Cheers
I think you might be refering to the fact that the LL oils are more alkaline than the 502.00 spec oils. This is to offset the incresed acidity that they would achieve when used in a genuine (30,000km) Long Life oil change regime.

To the OP: The (original 5 valver) 1.8T was on short changes because of the sludging problems they were getting. The TSI engines (2.0 & 1.8) haven't shown any sign of this problem yet.

If you have a remapped engine & use the power then 5,000 mile oil changes are probably sensible but you only need use 502.00 spec oil.

sama13
08-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot Brad and everybody for their input. I talked to a friend of mine who is a Tech guy in Seat Spain and he say the oil change is scheduled for 15,000 kms and that the oils can go further, he says that they're using some liqui moly oils with the 504.00 norm and he says it's safe (even tuned) to change it every 10,000kms, way to go VW!!!!

clip
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I think you might be refering to the fact that the LL oils are more alkaline than the 502.00 spec oils. This is to offset the incresed acidity that they would achieve when used in a genuine (30,000km) Long Life oil change regime.
+1, that's my understanding as well Brad.

Transporter
08-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Cheers

I use long life oils for more than 10years in my workshop and change oil in my cars usually every 5000km and it's all good the engines are like new even after 150,000km.
All additives in the oil have to be in balance and can't cause any damage to the metal.

NZTiguan
08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I use long life oils for more than 10years in my workshop and change oil in my cars usually every 5000km and it's all good the engines are like new even after 150,000km.
All additives in the oil have to be in balance and can't cause any damage to the metal.

I bow to your superior knowledge, but there's no way on earth I'm changing my oil (current retail NZ$147.00 just for the oil !!!!! on my first oil change last month) every 5000km for anybody !!!!!!!!! I stick to the 15,000 km or 1 year and in my case it's always the year that comes up first. Imo anything more is simply overkill and gains nothing.

Transporter
08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I bow to your superior knowledge, but there's no way on earth I'm changing my oil (current retail NZ$147.00 just for the oil !!!!! on my first oil change last month) every 5000km for anybody !!!!!!!!! I stick to the 15,000 km or 1 year and in my case it's always the year that comes up first. Imo anything more is simply overkill and gains nothing.

It all depends how do you use your car and how long do you want to keep it. I do extremely short trips; many per day and almost always engine cools down before I move again.
But I would never change oil every 15,000km or once a year, since I like keeping my cars for a long time.
I've done UOA (used oil analysis) when I bought my T5 and I know how long is initial (factory fill) oil good for when you do short trips or drive under severe conditions like I do.
You could use Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 (VW Factory approved) for 1/2 the price you paid for the oil.
If you change oil once a year only I'd suggest you do it before summer than.

NZTiguan
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
You could use Penrite Enviro+ 5W30 (VW Factory approved) for 1/2 the price you paid for the oil.
If you change oil once a year only I'd suggest you do it before summer than.

Not sure what brand they used in mine (yeh I know that's a lazy dude's answer !!). Account says LL-SLXIII,5W30 ???

I do my oil change, annual warrant of fitness, and anything else needed on the anniversary of purchase (give or take a couple of weeks for getting to the nearest VW agent 200km away) so it's all done in one go. With my Tig that means June ±

Cheers