PDA

View Full Version : Vw cleaning products or ones recommended on this forum???

thewingman
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Hello - I'm confused. Picked up my 147 tsi last week - mountain grey, leather, sunroof, off road tech, new york rims. Loving it so far. Vw put on the pressure to only go with their cleaning products, but I've read about others all of you out there use - eg - dodo juice, mint microfibre glass cloth and waffle weave drying towel instead of chamois, aquatouch microfibre multi purpose mit etc eyc. My question is what do I do? I really have no idea when it comes to all this. Obviously I want to look after my new car. Wouldn't Vw only use the good stuff?? Or should I ignore what they suggest?? Help would be greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

Pullstarter
06-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I use Mint products on mine and very happy with them, being a black car it would show up swirl marks etc very easily but I've had no issues with the Mint. Even the waterless wash is great stuff, i high pressure hose mine off the day before I use the waterless wash just to get rid of dirt/dust etc and have had very good results :)

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the dealer says re: cleaning products, they're just trying to make more money. If you use quality products such as Mint, Autoglym or Dodo etc you can't go wrong. They would be at least the equivalent of the VW products, IMO they are better.

KWICKS
06-07-2009, 04:14 PM
VW make cars. Whatever they are selling in a bottle as carwash is made by someone else and rebadged with a mark up for VW.

Try www.waxit.com.au or www.carcareproducts.com.au for some decent gear. Or wait until someone on here chimes in with their favourites.

DJY
07-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I'll agree that Mint products are good.
Tried a chamois once on my black 147 and wasn't happy with the final result... and then used polish cloths or micro fibre cloths since...

Mint cloths are quite similar to one of the other brands I had - but nicer than a couple of the others.
carcareproducts web site gave good service / responses - so I'll use them again most likely.

Waterless products - I've used two now - a Mint one and a main stream brand from a local car shop - both with very impressive results!

I don't see the need for VW brand products, there are a range of very good brands / products available.