PDA

View Full Version : Alternate amplifier mounting place

TDIESEL
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
deleted post

Joe Bellissimo
04-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Everyone says you shouldn't have your amplifiers up side down because of cooling. That has probably turned a lot of people off from that idea. That in mind, I don't think it makes a difference and I think that is actually very neat and practical.

Stan
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Nice neat job. I'd paint it black, nothing else is carpeted up there. Perhaps to a plastic front edge.

benno
05-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Nice one mate, I hadn't thought of that.

I don't think those THA amps generate all that much heat. Mine didn't and they're not really designed with cooling in mind by the looks of it.

GHW
08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Everyone says you shouldn't have your amplifiers up side down because of cooling. That has probably turned a lot of people off from that idea. That in mind, I don't think it makes a difference and I think that is actually very neat and practical.

Yep, dead right. Amps are designed to be mounted right way up. This installation will cause heat issues due to poor ventilation, it will affect the amp long term. Not a good idea, sorry.

GHW
08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
Some info from Blaupunkt site:
* Height x Width x Depth (mm): 41 x 335 x 159
* Installation location: Dashboard, Leg room, Glove compartment, Boot
* Direct AUX input for secondary sources like MP3 players or DVD players. Especially significant if you do not have AUX input on your in-dash receiver.

They are a class D amp which apparently don't have heat issues. I don't have to outlay extra money for a MP3 connection kit either now as it can plug directly into amp:biggrin:

Class D amplification still produces heat. They have a smaller heatsink area than old school class AB amps due to their efficiency (hence the smaller size vs power output) but still produce heat.Not trying to be a Smart-a** just offering advice, it's not s good mounting option.

benno
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
The Blau tha amps make very little heat and have no cooling fins or anythig like that at all. Not even a substantial heatsink. I can see how something designed with convection currents etc in mind would be affected but I don't think it would matter with the THA series.

Brisben
08-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Class D amplification still produces heat. They have a smaller heatsink area than old school class AB amps due to their efficiency (hence the smaller size vs power output) but still produce heat.Not trying to be a Smart-a** just offering advice, it's not s good mounting option.

In saying that amps are pretty hardy, I have mounted them all over the place and never had a problem, I normally mount them directly onto the back of the rear seats so they sit in the boot.

Means longer cables, however now you can use shorter ones, giving better sound quality, not that you would notice it.

I think although not ideal, won't do any harm.

Looks good.

Sorry to contradict what your all saying, but has anyone had an amp overheat and fail due to poor ventilation ?

I haven't.

AusScare
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I can't see how that position would be an issue in terms of cooling. What about people who put them in wheel wells, they'd get wayyy less fresh air in there. And those in boots in general, air flow does not exist compared to the above pics.

GHW
09-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I can't see how that position would be an issue in terms of cooling. What about people who put them in wheel wells, they'd get wayyy less fresh air in there. And those in boots in general, air flow does not exist compared to the above pics.

The amps heatsink is on the top. It's made of alloy, the bottom plate is standard metal. Heat rises, therefore wheel wells and backs of seats aren't an issue.
I have never in my many years in this industry seen a recommendation to mount an amp upside down and the manufacturer knows more than all of us.
Best of luck though and, yes, amps have been know to fail when mounted like this, I've seen it myself.

G-rig
11-07-2009, 09:17 AM

I'm no expert but dont think it would matter if this is mounted upside down for these amps.. there aren't any openings/fans etc but wonder what difference it would make if you screwed it on 'up the right way'?

Looks like a neat easy job, unique idea too! Doubt you'd have a problem but you never know. you could always flip it around with an air gap, kind of suspended but may not be as secure.

benno
11-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm no expert but dont think it would matter if this is mounted upside down for these amps.. there aren't any openings/fans etc but wonder what difference it would make if you screwed it on 'up the right way'?

That would be a bad idea I think. The 'top' surface of the amp is it's somewhat minimalist heatsink and having that firm up against something wouldn't be good.

G-rig
11-07-2009, 02:18 PM
That's why I said to leave an air gap or spacers.

Spyda
11-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't mount it upside down due to the heat issue and the fact that someone might kick it in. Im not familiar with that amp but the heat depends on the power it will be running and the power it is capable to running. If there are heat issues than its not to hard to mount it differently or just bung on the A/C.

Summer is where heat might be a problem. My 1000rms mono on 1/3 gain over heated very quickly in summer untill i mounted it properly. Alot of friends had similar issues in summer. Although im sure you wont be running the amp at P plater levels.

If i was you i would cover the mounting board in a material that is similar to the material on the dash and posibly round off the edges a bit for a more pro finish, that would make it look prity factory.

Spyda
11-07-2009, 05:17 PM
AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH....THERE ARE NO HEAT ISSUES :duh: As to kicking it in?? It's not made of play dough and why the hell would a passenger be thrashing their legs around? That might happen in the back seat..not the front. :eek:

I'll be finishing it properly when I get time...doubt I'll show the finished product here though. There seems to be too many online mothers that worry way too much (not addressed directly at you spider - just generalising). Perhaps they'll offer the advice of my choice of trim is not environmentally friendly enough and I should have used contact glue instead of a staple gun to secure it :brutal:

Next time I have a good idea I'll just keep it to my bloody self :biggrin:

Settle the f*** down mate.
Ive had alot of experiense with car audio and im just telling you want i know.

Mounting it upside down increases the components exposure to heat, full stop. I don't know whether that exposer is great enough to cause issues in your amp and im not debating that. Its just something to look out for.

As for someone kicking it in, i'd rather be safe than sorry.

I would be more concerned about the distance between the amp and the sub more than anything else but if you don't mind it then im not going to get technical.

I do think its a great idea and i really like it. It would be great to see the end result with the board wraped in vynal (not with staples haha) and rounded edges for the profecional looking finish :biggrin:

If you don't want opinions then don't post on a forum. Just because you think something is great doesnt mean everyone else will.

G-rig
14-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm sure it will be fine. Don't listen to the nerds, i was running a video card with no fan for ages. If anything over time you may have a problem, like after 10 years.. (don't quote me but that's a guess).

iampivot
17-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Direct AUX input for secondary sources like MP3 players or DVD players. Especially significant if you do not have AUX input on your in-dash receiver.

How do you switch to this input? Can it be done with the standard rcd-300 headunit?