PDA

View Full Version : My first speeding ticket.

Soundofav6
03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Bloody school zone.. 10km over in a 40.

What are my chances of getting away with it? 7 years of driving and full licence and no infridgement.. Probably not likely ?

4 pts and $253 bit harsh isnt it ?? BUGGER !!!

Rocket36
03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
I know in Victoria you can get off with a warning for your first offence and with 7yrs exp. and 50kph in a 40kph I reckon you should try and get off in NSW too. A momentary brain fart.

The flip side is, you broke the law. You pay the price.

KWICKS
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
You need 10 years clear record to appeal on those grounds in NSW. And I'm not sure there is any discretion shown or tolerance in school zones.

Welcome to the club!

03-07-2009, 03:14 PM
That is pretty harsh compared to up here. Comparatively, someone at work got done for 72 in a 60 zone = 1 point & $135. Chicken feed in comparison!

STV4SYT
03-07-2009, 03:16 PM
Try it, i have template that i have used with success twice here if you want to give it a go PM me your email addy.

all they can do is uphold the fine and points, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Manaz
03-07-2009, 03:19 PM
There's no harm in appealing it - you've got a good record, you weren't doing 30km/h+ over the limit, give it a go, the worst they can say is "denied, pay the fine and wear the points" (which they may do since it's a school zone, but you'll never know unless you try).

anthony_VWJET
03-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry to say but you'll get no leniency at all regardless your clean record. When it comes to school zones (well at least in NSW) they're pretty strict. Even if you were doing 1 or 2ks over they still wont care. The fact you were in a school zone and speeding in a school zone, eliminates all chances of you being let off.

Just take it on the chin and get on with it.

SoVeReIgN
03-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I've heard they'll generally let you off you first speeding offense if it's minor, my brother and sister have both gotten off one each.

Don't know if they'd call speeding in a school zone minor though, even if it is only 10km/h

anthony_VWJET
03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I've heard they'll generally let you off you first speeding offense if it's minor, my brother and sister have both gotten off one each.

Don't know if they'd call speeding in a school zone minor though, even if it is only 10km/h

They didnt let me off my first one when i was only doing 10ks over... but maybe its because i had 4 other mofos in the car with me... LOL :nana:

Plus coming from you whos been let of a number a times.... :nana:

maca
03-07-2009, 05:09 PM

Hmm I reckon 10kp/h over in a school zone is fast. The price isn't fair but unfortunately these things happen...

shami
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
There's no harm in appealing it - you've got a good record, you weren't doing 30km/h+ over the limit, give it a go, the worst they can say is "denied, pay the fine and wear the points" (which they may do since it's a school zone, but you'll never know unless you try).

Do you work for the RTA?

Greg Roles
03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
If you appeal does that give you longer to pay the fine? If so, that's worth the trouble!

DeanB
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Sorry to say but you'll get no leniency at all regardless your clean record. When it comes to school zones (well at least in NSW) they're pretty strict. Even if you were doing 1 or 2ks over they still wont care. The fact you were in a school zone and speeding in a school zone, eliminates all chances of you being let off.

Just take it on the chin and get on with it.

+1.

I was done for the first time in 13 yrs for 9km/h over in a school zone on the last day of school in 2007 at 3:54pm .... no leniency shown when I sent in the letter. Total rubbish, but them's the rules and I can't bitch too much ... but how was I to know when the last day of term is and all that **** ... they should all have the flashing lights.

I have a mate who's in the NSW police. He has always told me there is no leniency in school zones. Same as if you are caught with a mobile in your hand. He helped me with the letter, though it didn't help me get off.

My wife however was caught doing 14 over in a 70 zone and used my same letter template and got off with a "don't do it again" :(

Try writing the letter, but your chances aren't good no matter what your driving record.

Soundofav6
03-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys.. seems 50/50. There is no harm appealing and which I am going to try.

I know over the limit is over the limit, it is not that I cant afford it or up to my last pts. But I reckon it is just a LITTLE harsh with 4 pts !

Funny thing was I said "Thanks mate, wouldnt happen again" than I streched out my hand for a shake. He immediately backed off !!!

"Just incase you are trying to slip me something, I have already told you this is recorded."

My goodness... Just play it cool man ! LOL

What a Day !!!

Preen59
03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
You screwed up and got fined.. Which sucks, but you were in the wrong.

Regardless, i say screw them for every penny you can get out of paying. Try your hardest and you may get let off. It's not like it could be worse if you appeal.. :drinkbeer:

Given the way i was harassed, intimidated, followed and illegitimately fined when i got my license, give em one for me while you're at it! :)

Golf Loon
03-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Wrie a letter to the director of the infringement bureau NOW. The address is on the ticket. My wife got let off after years of a clean record, so did my brother in law. write the letter.

Yevvy
03-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Hmm I reckon 10kp/h over in a school zone is fast. The price isn't fair but unfortunately these things happen...

It depends where the school zone is. there is one next to me in a 70 zone and feels like you're walking at 40. that said, i never speed in a school zone, even by 1kph and its got nothing to do with a fine. i do like kids and happy to slow down for them :)

jayjay
03-07-2009, 10:24 PM
haven't you guys seen the ad where to two falcons are travelling along the same path, 1 is doing 50, and another is doing 40. the one doing 40 will stop metres before the one doing 50. but i'm in a golf... lolz!

write a polite and intelligible letter to the RTA. It's pretty much up to their discretion whether they let someone off or not but with a couple of specific protocols.

it is quite satisfying getting a letter from the SRDO saying, "your fine has been revoked, have a nice day"

goodfella
03-07-2009, 10:42 PM
haven't you guys seen the ad where to two falcons are travelling along the same path, 1 is doing 50, and another is doing 40. the one doing 40 will stop metres before the one doing 50. but i'm in a golf... lolz!

write a polite and intelligible letter to the RTA. It's pretty much up to their discretion whether they let someone off or not but with a couple of specific protocols.

it is quite satisfying getting a letter from the SRDO saying, "your fine has been revoked, have a nice day"

+1

I recently filled in the request for review form available on the SDRO website and about 4 weeks later I received a letter stating that the fine is being recorded as a caution and I didnt need to pay.... Very satisfying. Basically, write down your side of the story and dont bull$hit about, just be honest.

maca
04-07-2009, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys.. seems 50/50. There is no harm appealing and which I am going to try.

I know over the limit is over the limit, it is not that I cant afford it or up to my last pts. But I reckon it is just a LITTLE harsh with 4 pts !

Funny thing was I said "Thanks mate, wouldnt happen again" than I streched out my hand for a shake. He immediately backed off !!!

"Just incase you are trying to slip me something, I have already told you this is recorded."

My goodness... Just play it cool man ! LOL

What a Day !!!
WOW ok.. Perhaps he was simply an a55.

At least you've realised you were in the wrong and you've accepted it. There's nothing worse than fighting for something where you're clearly wrong, but you don't think you are.

Good luck with appealing it, I hope all goes well :)

FJ Steve
04-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Pay up.

The result is cheaper than if you knocked a kid over....which is the primary reason for the restricted speed limit in the area.

Buller_Scott
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM
i'd say appeal it because you seem to have a good driving record- i've been caught speeding before by mistake, 2 times now, in the last 5 years- its obvious that you're more careful than i am.

however, i'd say that if you DO get fined, dont get down about it- mistakes cost money, sure as death and taxes.

mikepologti
04-07-2009, 12:27 PM
i feel for you man i really do, but i have been witness to a lil girl being hit in a school zone. thankfully she only broke her arm and 3 ribs. that guy was doing the the speed limit. now when i go anywhere near those zones it frieghtens the sh## out of me. so now i do somewhere inbetween 20-30. not one person has given me road rage for this practice. and after seeing what can happen first hand , i strongly erge others to do the same.

Buller_Scott
04-07-2009, 12:34 PM
i feel for you man i really do, but i have been witness to a lil girl being hit in a school zone. thankfully she only broke her arm and 3 ribs. that guy was doing the the speed limit. now when i go anywhere near those zones it frieghtens the sh## out of me. so now i do somewhere inbetween 20-30. not one person has given me road rage for this practice. and after seeing what can happen first hand , i strongly erge others to do the same.
no road rage? you're lucky.

here in melbourne, you'd be surprised- there are still pricks who ride your behind and do the 'im gonna intimidate them by doing a formula 1 style cut out then back infront of them' move when you slow down to 40km/h in a school zone.

its not uncommon for cars to be doing 50++ in school zone roads that have 2 lanes, here.

i just make up for it by putting on my high beams and sitting about 2-3 car lengths behind them at the next set of lights.

FJ Steve
04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

here in melbourne, you'd be surprised- there are still pricks who ride your behind and do the 'im gonna intimidate them by doing a formula 1 style cut out then back infront of them' move when you slow down to 40km/h in a school zone.

its not uncommon for cars to be doing 50++ in school zone roads that have 2 lanes, here.

i just make up for it by putting on my high beams and sitting about 2-3 car lengths behind them at the next set of lights.Pot...kettle...black....much?

Buller_Scott
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Pot...kettle...black....much?
hey, i agree, to a degree.

call it self-executed karma.

i know i know, i realise im probably the only one on this site who occasionally gets fed up with the bad driving of others, and every now and then beeps his horn or flashes his high beams, and that makes me a bad person and driver.

i DO realise that most people on this site never use their horn, or flash their lights, or flip the bird to anyone, no matter how badly someone endangers them with dodgy driving- many will say they never have.

i guess in this context, i'll accept being a bad driver and person, but thankfully i know to stay under the limit and keep eyes wide open in school zones.

NickZ
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
My dad was let off for doing 11km over in a school zone, he has a very good record though (no speeding fine in over 30 years, a couple of warnings though) and it was one without flashing lights, and there was one warning only as he came from a side street.

Unfortunately he did it again about a month or so ago, so he could not argue out of that one.

FJ Steve
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
hey, i agree, to a degree.

call it self-executed karma.

i know i know, i realise im probably the only one on this site who occasionally gets fed up with the bad driving of others, and every now and then beeps his horn or flashes his high beams, and that makes me a bad person and driver.

i DO realise that most people on this site never use their horn, or flash their lights, or flip the bird to anyone, no matter how badly someone endangers them with dodgy driving- many will say they never have.

i guess in this context, i'll accept being a bad driver and person, but thankfully i know to stay under the limit and keep eyes wide open in school zones.Don't get me wrong.....I speed as much as the next guy....I tailgate sometimes - apparently (according to my wife I do...I beg to differ).

But...my comment was in regard to criticising another driver, and then in the same post...displaying behaviour that would probably "tick" you off as well.

If I get caught for speeding...I suck it up. My fault...no-one else's. I am the one in charge of the accelerator. I am required to drive in an observant and compliant manner. If I transgress, I have to wear the consequences. I personally believe that appealing such a decision is just not cricket. Need to harden up and accept the responsibilities that a Drivers Licence allows.

Buller_Scott
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
But...my comment was in regard to criticising another driver, and then in the same post...displaying behaviour that would probably "tick" you off as well.

If I get caught for speeding...I suck it up...... If I transgress, I have to wear the consequences.

yeah, to be honest, without doing anything dangerous like cutting someone off, or tailgating, or without pulling alongside and trying to engage them in some sort of verbal exchange, i figure that the most annoying thing i could do would be that- park a wee bit behind them with the high beams on, lol.

but as for the second part of what i've quoted you as saying/typing- yeah. i've never thought to appeal against a speeding ticket. i WAS thinking about it when i was coming back from falls creek and sydney road changes from 110kmh to 100kmh, but then male pride kicked in-'if i didnt notice the road signs change, then that makes me a bad driver, and thus, less of a man. better to just pay the fine'.

TDIESEL
04-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Bloody school zone.. 10km over in a 40.

What are my chances of getting away with it? 7 years of driving and full licence and no infridgement.. Probably not likely ?

4 pts and $253 bit harsh isnt it ?? BUGGER !!!

Bit harsh?? Not really, I reckon anyone who speeds in a school zone should do compulsory Lollipop pedestrian duty for a week as well as the fine and loss of points.

Pay up and be more careful next time.

tinto
04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
If I get caught for speeding...I suck it up. My fault...no-one else's. I am the one in charge of the accelerator.
Quoted for the truth. 10km over is massive in a School Zone.
Pay the fine, take the points hit.
If you have a good driving record it shouldn't really affect you since there'll be no other blotches in the future, yeah?

I'll occasionally drive aggressively like many of us do, but know that I'm the one who will bear the brunt of being a fool.
Please take responsibility for your OWN actions.

If anyone was skipping past my kid's school at 10+ over, they'd get a sweet verbal serve, along with a schoolbag lobbed onto their windscreen.
JUST TO MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE THEY HIT A KID :jackinthebox:
+10 Angry Role Model points to me.

- $1800 'My laptop was in that bag' demerits to me.

GolfAtom
04-07-2009, 04:12 PM
The others have said it, when it comes to School Zone infringements you'll get no reprieve from the RTA. My cousin who has never had a speeding fine was recently pinged, his appeal fell on deaf ears, he had to cop it sweet.

With the amount of road signs we have to content with and other restrictions, a car motorist has to concentrate harder than an air traffic controller! With the worsening road congestion we are experiencing, speeding will become irrelevant in the next few years. I think I will be better off on my road bike and working up a sweat.

whiteVR6
04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Quoted for the truth. 10km over is massive in a School Zone.
Pay the fine, take the points hit.
If you have a good driving record it shouldn't really affect you since there'll be no other blotches in the future, yeah?

I'll occasionally drive aggressively like many of us do, but know that I'm the one who will bear the brunt of being a fool.
Please take responsibility for your OWN actions.

If anyone was skipping past my kid's school at 10+ over, they'd get a sweet verbal serve, along with a schoolbag lobbed onto their windscreen.
JUST TO MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE THEY HIT A KID :jackinthebox:

Well said!

GTom
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
SDRO Offers no leniency on offences in School Zones, no matter what your record is.

To fight it you have to elect to go to court.

SDRO have their "guidelines" on how they process an infringement on their website

For those who don't know SDRO - State Debt Recovery Office. All infringements issued in NSW go to this Organisation for processing. This should normally be your first port of call when trying to cancel an infringement.

Here is the doc with the Review Guidelines:
http://www.sdro.nsw.gov.au/lib/docs/misc/br_001.pdf

Read the "Overview" page the bit down the bottom....

Buller_Scott
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM

yeah, but if it's insured you could just tell them that someone wrecklessly just drove into your laptop.

EUS GTIMK5
04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

i just make up for it by putting on my high beams and sitting about 2-3 car lengths behind them at the next set of lights.

Agree 100% about people being assholes in school zones. I was doing 40kph, single lane road with a bike lane on the left. ****head in a white van decided that this was too slow, passed on the left and sped off :duh: Where are the police when you need them!

irish_Tim
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Speeding in a school zone, getting caught = Gold :biggrin:

Coming onto an internet forum and crying about it wanting to know if you can get away with it = Priceless :duh:

I reckon they should make it a cool $1000 for speeding in a school zone. Kids are the future population. Kids do stupid things like walking onto the road without looking. Kids and vehicles travelling at any sort of speed do not mix well, have seen the results of a kid getting hit by a slow moving car, was not pretty... Make the offence severe enough to make people take notice and I bet the revenue will start to dwindle...

Sorry I hope I have not offended anyone with this post, if I have then about all I am going to say is :moonie::moonie::moonie::moonie:

gareth_oau
05-07-2009, 01:28 AM
I aqgree wholeheartedly Tim.

tho from a slightly different perspective, i very rarely drive during school hours and on those incredibly rare occasions, and when i'm driving in unfamiliar territory, I have been unexpectedly caught out by a school zone and found myself doing 50, instead of 40. I slow down as soon as I realise it. However, I believe that the authorities should do a little bit more than just throwing up a cheap speed limit sign.

I was on the local school council and tried to arrange something simple like painting a massive 40 on the road, but that took nearly 12 months for the authorities to get round to doing it

Buller_Scott
05-07-2009, 12:48 PM
I was on the local school council and tried to arrange something simple like painting a massive 40 on the road, but that took nearly 12 months for the authorities to get round to doing it

that's because its not as simple as painting a nice white 40 on the road- you gotta organise dog biscuits, window tax, fence conferences, etc etc.....

irish_Tim
05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Painting a big 40 on the roads doesn't help so much as you would think. This has been done in Perth already at nearly all school zones, heck I'm probably JUST as guilty as the OP for not noticing the time etc and have just been lucky not to have been caught or had any accidents.

My point was and still is as many people have already said, if you do get caught speeding (no matter what road your on) then don't try to say you didn't know the speed zone, why ? Well thats cause to do you for not only speeding but also driving without due care and attention as well. MORE importantly is accept responsibility for your own actions, I dont care if you have been driving for 50years without a ticket, prolly just means there was no one there to bust you over the last 50 years :nana:

I doubt there is a member on here that can honestly say, hand on heart that they have never been over the speed limit at some point or another, going 10km/h over the speed limit even when overtaking is still speeding.

Any time I have been done and I know I was in the wrong I just cop it sweet, no pun intended :) As the TV advert said, Choose your speed, choose your consequences.. Time and a place blah blah sermon over ;)

Buller_Scott
05-07-2009, 05:40 PM
i reckon people should also be booked for driving too slow.

yesterday, back from chadstone shopping center- lady in a nissan tiida was driving slow, okay- i figured she was just accelerating slow or something.

100m down the road, traffic all around, and im doing 40 behind her. i actually said aloud 'fork, okay, this is now effing dangerous'.

thankfully i got outta there before a SAFE driver, travelling at the limit, would have ploughed up my crack and given me 40km/h whiplash