PDA

View Full Version : Haldex Performance module update

Guy_H
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Contrary to our last information - The Tiguan does run a different version of the HPP module - not the same as the current versions on the market.....

I spoke to Sweden last night & they are working hard on the development of the Tiguan specific part & we will have part of the first production shipment released.

They will also be releasing some previously unseen Haldex adjustment devices as well - looking forward to seeing these as well!

qsilverza
02-07-2009, 06:29 PM
So as in you can control the actual split ? Is the drive on the tiguans still only maximum 50% transfer to the rear ?

Contrary to our last information - The Tiguan does run a different version of the HPP module - not the same as the current versions on the market.....

I spoke to Sweden last night & they are working hard on the development of the Tiguan specific part & we will have part of the first production shipment released.

They will also be releasing some previously unseen Haldex adjustment devices as well - looking forward to seeing these as well!

Guy_H
02-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Still the same split - by nature it can only ever be 50 / 50 max (unless they start switching off the front driveshafts!)

pol280
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Still the same split - by nature it can only ever be 50 / 50 max (unless they start switching off the front driveshafts!)

Tiguan has the 4th generation Haldex.
4MOTION details

The electro-hydraulic Haldex clutch runs in an oil bath. The multi-plate clutch system itself was integrated in the rear axle drive of the Tiguan; the entire unit weighs just 44 kilograms. As soon as speed differences develop between the front and rear axles, two annular piston pumps are activated that build up pressure in the multi-plate clutch and join the axles to one another. The transferable torque varies with the magnitude of the pressure applied to the clutch plates, and this controls the flow of force between the front and rear wheels according to specific needs and stepless. As soon as the clutch detects slip at the front axle, more engine torque is applied to the rear axle. Normally, 90 percent of the propulsive force is to the front wheels and ten percent to the rear. In extreme cases, however, nearly 100 percent can be transferred to the rear axle.

Guy_H
03-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes, and those extreme cases are when both front wheels are off the ground!

Seriously - the performance module is the same base unit that is used on the Golf V R32, Audi A3 ./ S3, Transporter.

It has some internal differences, but it is not magic & cannot disconnect front gearboxes!

Arctra
03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
So please educate me here (I'm pleading ignorance here, because that's exactly what I am in this case - ignorant). The Tig already has a Haldex controller? If that's the case, what are your Swedish guys coming up with Guy?

qsilverza
03-07-2009, 09:28 AM
HAHA :)

I understand that the front drive shafts would need to be disconnected just thought they might have made some big improvements from my bora with gen 1 and maybe some trick stuff for the 4wd tigs:driver:

and basically, the controller is manufactured by haldex to provide better drive/grip/stability etc. etc. to the drive of the car. How it is now, it is reactive, the performance controller makes it almost pre-emptive to loss of grip thus transferring power before this happens. If you will excuse my bad analogy :)

Yes, and those extreme cases are when both front wheels are off the ground!

Seriously - the performance module is the same base unit that is used on the Golf V R32, Audi A3 ./ S3, Transporter.

It has some internal differences, but it is not magic & cannot disconnect front gearboxes!

sama13
03-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Please keep us posted Guy, that would be extremely nice, I think they will offer the same as the MKV R32 being a 3 button switch to select the option you want, now another question, how would this behave with front and rear torque biasing differentials (Ex. Quaife or Peloquin). This would make a good improvement.

Guy_H
03-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Arctra, the Haldex Performance part (we call it HPP) changes the way the drivetrain reacts to inputs.

Some of those inputs are throttle (acceleration), wheel slip, braking, Yaw (body roll).

The HPP sharpens (for lack of a better term) the drivetrain (rear end engagement) to make the car feel more AWD - not predominantly Front wheel drive, which is of course - understeer by design & also by VW's setup.

I understand they will have some version of controller to modify the response.

Here is a pic of TIG vs R32 (Tig on the left)

Cancel that - the image is too big...

DieselTig
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Guy,

I bought the Tiguan diesel in preference to the subaru forester because of the better finish and ecomony and I assumed the 4motion meant constant Awd after reading a few articles. The main advantage of constant AWD being more sure footed on the road convinced me to buy it. :duh: Now you are saying that it is predominantly FWD. Very misleading by VW.
I would like to read/hear a bit more on your HPP which may be close to AWD and subaru.
Keep us posted, will be very keen to see the new product.

phaeton
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
Guy,

I bought the Tiguan diesel in preference to the subaru forester because of the better finish and ecomony and I assumed the 4motion meant constant Awd after reading a few articles. The main advantage of constant AWD being more sure footed on the road convinced me to buy it. :duh: Now you are saying that it is predominantly FWD. Very misleading by VW.
I would like to read/hear a bit more on your HPP which may be close to AWD and subaru.
Keep us posted, will be very keen to see the new product.

Actually if you had researched it you would have found in the original Tiguan press releases they talk about the AWD structure of the car not being constant AWD and for that matter 4Motion is not always 50/50.

Info has been on this site since January here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=24420

Yes it can be misleading to say 90/10 is AWD but all wheels are driven so tecnically it is ???? (even I think its misleading) the only permament 4WD in the VW range is the Touareg that has 4XMotion.

DieselTig
05-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I guess it can be modified to suit with Haldex HPP but at the end of the day from what I now read it is a good system and can contribute to more stability on and off the road. I am quiet sure it is a lot better that the current xtrail in terms of stability.

qsilverza
05-07-2009, 10:28 AM
It is a lot better with the Haldex HPP. Well worth the money.

I guess it can be modified to suit with Haldex HPP but at the end of the day from what I now read it is a good system and can contribute to more stability on and off the road. I am quiet sure it is a lot better that the current xtrail in terms of stability.

DieselTig
05-07-2009, 10:34 AM
How does it exactly work?

Guy_H
06-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Read this page: http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html

then at the bottom of that page are 3 more "technical" links