PDA

View Full Version : Mk3 Exhaust Thread!!!

Golfer
05-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok guys, I had a search through and couldn't find a decent exhaust thread for Mk3ers...

So here's the idea - we all love our Golfs, and all being of a red-blooded nature most enjoy a nice growl out the rear pipes. The question is, in this day and age of thousands upon thousands of exhaust combos, which works best?

I prompt this thread as i got the chop today... Yep i finally deleted the suitcase, for a grand total of $30! (I'm a reasonably astute shopper, so i shopped around). Just letting anyone know, if ur umming and aahing about whether you should axe the suitcase... do it! A little bit more attention at the traffic lights perhaps, but it opens up engine response on the 2L you never knew you had (scared an overconfident looking guy in a Commodore S ute tonight :D ) Much better breathing for the engine, and not too loud (if ur worried about staying incognito). But this has brought to light a new problem - I absolutely love the new sound, but it's a little too tinny. So looks like i'm gonna be shelling out more of my hard earned ones on a new system. But I don't want to spend too much... So here's my idea -

2L 8v, Cat back 2.0" (most likely press bent mild steel - i'd love a nice tig welded mandrel stainless system, but it's not a race car!)
Single rear muffler (I'm thinking a XForce 5" Dual upturned 3" Euro style - around $250)
All in all should cost me $350ish? and give me a nice euro look... But how will it sound?

Thanks guys. I'm hoping this will turn out to be a useful and informative thread, as it's definitely a hot topic.

Cheers!
John :cool:

KI11Z
06-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Any sugestions from any 2Litre-ers?

Sounds like a winner from me . . . But then i'm not really sure . . . I'm thinking off making mine a 2.5in zorst? will seee :? . . . .

Golfer
06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Alex, post deets of your exhaust, it's "fully" sick!!! :D

DubSteve
06-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm looking to go all the way with headers and that with the back box being a remus twin tips chromed. :D

But don't know how much its going to cost.

Tim
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
sean I think put an aftermarket muffler on his GL and deleted the central muffler. Perhaps he can chime in. But from memory it was LOUD. very LOUD

deemoE36
06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
mine is aftermarked dual muffler at the back, resonator in the modle, its not to loud, loud enough for joy riding...just the way i like it
heres the sound of it... http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-6575621938184583513&hl=en-AU

deemoE36
06-01-2007, 12:43 PM
had to add these!
R32 : http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-1880062242431038159&hl=en-AU
jetta vr6 http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-860003178484226739&hl=en-AU
another one with broken speedo http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=-2819095346109426073&hl=en-AU

tommymac
06-01-2007, 12:52 PM
dont go x force there **** as

moto
06-01-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm looking to go all the way with headers and that with the back box being a remus twin tips chromed.

I 've done something like that. Genie headers plus Remus the rest of the way. It wasn't cheap. Nearly 2G if I remember. But that was 1998 and its all still there.

Be aware that the original VR downpipe is heat shielded. Extractors aren't. Heat rises. Over the top of the extractors are lots of very expensive rubber pipes. These include the vacume hose to the brake power booster. A few centimeters behind are the brake lines. Just off side is the ABS. It all goes very funny if you haven't devised some clever heat shielding too.

When its working its lovely to listen to and the lift in performance is immediately noticeable.

golf3
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, after goin through many stages, I've kinda found a "ok" point, but I'm sure it will change if I turbocharge. Obviously seeking less backpressure and the turbo acts as a muffler anyways.

Stage 1: Purchase and fitment of a DTM style muffler with twin round upswept tips = boring and quiet!!!
Stage 2: Go back next week for deletion of suitcase = OMFG! WHERE ARE THE EAR MUFFS??
Stage 3: Previous job sucked, so I got a press-bend catback done with 12" hotdog = not much difference at all...
Stage 4: DTM "muffler" rusted and internal baffles now rattled = eat my own arms off due to cringe factor!!!
Stage 5: Removal of DTM to a standard style back box, some sports model or something. 2 downswept tips= Comfortable

FUTURE: Who knows? Side Exit?

Golfer
06-01-2007, 10:39 PM
dont go x force there **** as

True? Have you had a bad experience with them? I was looking at them because they are a half stainless/half glass pack, so i'd only have to run one muffler (it's still be loud though). Should I perhaps go for a full stainless pack with a hotdog where the suitcase was?

tommymac
07-01-2007, 12:43 AM
i got one on my car now and i cant wait to take it of its to loud and sounds like aids im trying to musta up funds to swap mine at but its so expensive here t get a good system cat back miltek was 1500 from mem :)

DubSteve
07-01-2007, 11:31 AM
I 've done something like that. Genie headers plus Remus the rest of the way. It wasn't cheap. Nearly 2G if I remember. But that was 1998 and its all still there.

Be aware that the original VR downpipe is heat shielded. Extractors aren't. Heat rises. Over the top of the extractors are lots of very expensive rubber pipes. These include the vacume hose to the brake power booster. A few centimeters behind are the brake lines. Just off side is the ABS. It all goes very funny if you haven't devised some clever heat shielding too.

When its working its lovely to listen to and the lift in performance is immediately noticeable.

I was planning on puting a heat shield there or some kind of heat wrap. Would that work?

Bug_racer
07-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Seriously if you have a factory 2 inch stainless exhaust system with some mandrel bends and you replace it with a 2 1/4 inch with press bends and mild steel and expect a performance you seriously need to do some research .

Best system for a mk3 is a set of merged headers , stock cat , 2 1/4 mandrel bent with stainless steel hot dog then a nice big rear muffler . I'd do 2 1/2 inch for VR6 . BUT , Id only do the exhaust after I do chip , cams , airbox and manifold portwork . The other thing to note is that some VW's have stock extractors . Remember if you want power , there is rarely a cheap way of doing it thats reliable as well

brackie
07-01-2007, 05:11 PM
In terms of gas flow (and by that I mean the mixture of induction gases and the mixture of exhaust gases) is a conservation matter. Nothing is created or destroyed only transformed, so you must get the stuff out as efficiently as you get it in. There are matters of relative temperatures and volumes to consider: in other words the engine breathes in a relatively smaller volume of lower temperature gasses than it exhausts (albeit at a higher induction density), so getting the stuff out is just as important as getting it in. Perhaps more important.
Smooth, unhindered pathways are very important so small angle bends, large diameters plumbing and smooth passage surfaces all help flow.
Before doing any work on induction, I would ensure that exhaust flow is up to it.
Disclaimer. This is from a diesel guy who knows sfa about tuning petrol motors so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bug_racer
07-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Sounds about right , the welding sometimes is just as important as the pipework and bends used . Tig is often better than mig .
Just the size is important in backpressure and extractor effect .

VR6's are a nightmare with all different runners

Water Boy
07-01-2007, 06:42 PM
I would go a full 2inch system with a strait through muffler and a single 2.5 dump tip... Dont go to ricer... Extractors would be very nice and give an awsome tourqey sound...

Thats my 2 bobs worth...

Cheers James :)

Golfer
07-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks Seb and Brackie.

Invaluable information there.

I have a place around here that used to do my exhaust, and they made a great dual mandrel system for my xr8, so i'm sure i can let them go nuts on the dub.

I personally don't know a lot about small engine dynamics, but having driven a ford motorsport tuned V8 around for years, i understand how much difference it makes getting rid of your waste gas efficiently...

Thanks again guys. Having a rethink now and I'll post what i come up with :)

Cheers!
John :cool:

golfvr6
08-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Any sugestions from any 2Litre-ers?

Sounds like a winner from me . . . But then i'm not really sure . . . I'm thinking off making mine a 2.5in zorst? will seee :? . . . .

my vr6 is a 2.5 inch mild steel, cat back with rear muffler only and single outlet. above 2500 revs, its not too loud.

my readings of the extractors on a vr6 (in 97) were that you didn't get much gain for the price. so that swayed me to stick with the stock ones.

Draco
11-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know any specs on the limits of the dB output of an exhaust system? :?

GoLfMan
11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Well, after goin through many stages, I've kinda found a "ok" point, but I'm sure it will change if I turbocharge. Obviously seeking less backpressure and the turbo acts as a muffler anyways.

Stage 1: Purchase and fitment of a DTM style muffler with twin round upswept tips = boring and quiet!!!
Stage 2: Go back next week for deletion of suitcase = OMFG! WHERE ARE THE EAR MUFFS??
Stage 3: Previous job sucked, so I got a press-bend catback done with 12" hotdog = not much difference at all...
Stage 4: DTM "muffler" rusted and internal baffles now rattled = eat my own arms off due to cringe factor!!!
Stage 5: Removal of DTM to a standard style back box, some sports model or something. 2 downswept tips= Comfortable

FUTURE: Who knows? Side Exit?
yeh mate side exhaust... 3" dump straight off the turbo! :D

Water Boy
12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know any specs on the limits of the dB output of an exhaust system? :?

The legal street limit is 75dB and for the race track its 95dB...

BlackVr6ix
12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
75? isnt it 90?

Golfer
13-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey getting technical guys, is it possible to fit a VR6 spec Remus back box on a GL? Just i found one for special, and wonder if it'll fit mine? Is the layout of the rear of the cars identical?

Golf Loon
14-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey getting technical guys, is it possible to fit a VR6 spec Remus back box on a GL? Just i found one for special, and wonder if it'll fit mine? Is the layout of the rear of the cars identical?

Yeah should be right. I think the twin pipe GL backbox is the same as the VR6 one anyway. Both exhaust systems follow the same path under the car.

Golfer
14-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanx matt. I guess nobody likes the carbon fibre tips too much? $250's pretty cheap brand new...

golfvr6
14-01-2007, 08:36 AM
some info here:

http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=products&prod=338

i remember looking at them once - they specified what they were for on the sticker 2.0/vr6/2.0 16v etc
but i think its ok

Bug_racer
14-01-2007, 09:16 AM
The legal street limit is 75dB and for the race track its 95dB...

The race limit is 95 db approx 5 m away from the car while the car is under full load .

On the street its 96 for cars up to 1983 ? (around that year) and then 90 after that . The test is done 2m from the tip of the exhaust while the car is reved to approx 3000rpm .

Golfer
14-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Cheers GolfVR6, I'm sure if it fits the VR6 and 16V GTI I can coax it into the back of mine :D

Again, just have to creatively 'lose' $250 j:

Cheers!!!
John :D

Water Boy
15-01-2007, 11:11 AM
The race limit is 95 db approx 5 m away from the car while the car is under full load .

On the street its 96 for cars up to 1983 ? (around that year) and then 90 after that . The test is done 2m from the tip of the exhaust while the car is reved to approx 3000rpm .

Damn i thoght it was a lot less for the road... Oh well means i can get some more noise out of the trusty golf... :)

Bug_racer
15-01-2007, 01:44 PM
As an example the R32 Golf is 88.4 db without flapper mod and approx 91 with

wayz
22-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Question!

Could you fit a 2.25" or 2.5" muffler onto our stock 2" exhaust pipes?
Positives?
Negatives?
Not possible at all?

I ask because all the mufflers on ebay tend to be the 2.5" sizing (all suggestions appreciated :D)

Draco
24-01-2007, 11:16 AM

Looks like I have some "playing" to do with my dB meter :cool:

Thanks for the info..

russki
19-03-2007, 11:14 PM
so does any 1 kno any good exhaust brand for mk3 and where i can get 1 in sydney which is quiet and has performance values?

moto
19-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Remus systems are generally thought to balance silence with performance pretty well. The trade off is cost. If you shop around though you'll probably find a wide range of prices quoted. Australia's Best on Canterbury Road at Lakemba used to be pretty competative last time I went shopping.

MattyT
20-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I think somewhere in this thread I whinged about my zorst. turns out my dub had a straight-thru system on it !!

Ditched the rear muffler for a decent sized quiet one and now i get decent flow plus the sweet sound but not so loud :D :D :D

DubSteve
20-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Out of curiosity what is better for a vr6 2.5 or 3" exhaust catback that is removal of the middle muffler aswell?