PDA

View Full Version : Off the beaten track

NZTiguan
28-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi folks

Just thought you'd be interested to see us "playing" in the hills near town today. Went for a drive to a place called Fraser Dam which is at about 5500 feet and we "thought" we'd get through the cloud and into the sun !! Didn't manage that BUT had fun anyway. Tig handled it all with aplomb as usual, used the off=road hill descent on a couple of icy patches and kept off-road ON all the way back down because of some muddy and slippery bits but she "walked" them !! You'll see it was tad "cool" up there, minus 3.5ºC most of the time, but nice and warm inside the Tig on our heated leather seats !!

Cheers

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/DSC012061-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/DSC01208-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/DSC01209-2.jpg

Dilusi
28-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Derek - what a awesome backdrop. It must be great to be out amongst the ice and snow. Good to hear the off road pack did its job. I still have to try mine out and am not sure I will ever need to turn the seat heaters on here!

Tigga1
28-06-2009, 05:48 PM
HI Derek, which do you have,, and what size?

looks awesome

tiguan_hunting
28-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Just making an observation here. You have a silver leaf but looking at the photos attached you can't really tell it from a reflex silver. I guess it would be obvious only if you put them side by side.

Pullstarter
28-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice pics Derek, I did a bit of fire trail bashing yesterday but nowhere near as impressive as your adventure :)

Dilusi
28-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Just making an observation here. You have a silver leaf but looking at the photos attached you can't really tell it from a reflex silver. I guess it would be obvious only if you put them side by side.

There is a stark contrast when silver leaf is next to reflex silver but I find my silver leaf takes on a different shade in different lights - sometimes it looks more silver, sometimes more gold. I didn't know that would be the case when I bought it but I like that about the colour.

Dilusi
28-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Nice pics Derek, I did a bit of fire trail bashing yesterday but nowhere near as impressive as your adventure :)

But still more impressive than most of us. :bowdown:
So far leaping tall gutters (in a single bound) is the extent of my off road.

Photos??

Pullstarter
28-06-2009, 10:22 PM
But still more impressive than most of us. :bowdown:
So far leaping tall gutters (in a single bound) is the extent of my off road.

Photos??

No didn't take the cam, was a sort of spur of the moment thing after clay target shooting in the middle of nowhere :biggrin:

phaeton
29-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Very good shots Derek NZ is so picturesque :o

NZTiguan
29-06-2009, 06:48 AM
HI Derek, which do you have,, and what size?

looks awesome

Hi

17" LA wheels (standard in NZ) with Michelin Latitude Diamaris rubber (came fitted) evidently developed for the X5 and Cayenne. They're not the greatest off-road but they're "OK". Like most "mainly road" tyres they tend to clog up with mud and you have to give them a quick sprint when you get an easy bit of trail to flick the grooves clear again. Although the track looks pretty good in the pics it was quite boggy low down and "very" icy just where I was standing to take the pic against the trees, water had run across the track and frozen, but the Tig literally didn't spin a wheel once on the ice !! Felt very stable and secure.

Cheers

Rocket88
29-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Excellent shots Derek. Enjoyed them.

WannaTig
29-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Looks awesome!

And those heated seats would have been luvverly too I bet

DieselTig
11-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I came across this video on youtube and thought to share it with you. This is in Greece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPyalLnPWI&feature=related

NZTiguan
11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
I came across this video on youtube and thought to share it with you. This is in Greece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPyalLnPWI&feature=related

That sideways "shuffle" he seems to get part way down may be caused by the esp, that's why I always turn the esp OFF when turning the off-road ON, it can get you into big trouble. He should have been able to just "trickle" down on hill-descent control after he got over the crest really. Good to watch though !!

Cheers

mikinoz
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Nice to see that it is cold. Have you taken it on any snow laiden roads? Be interested to see how you go on say the crown range road after some snow.

NZTiguan
11-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Nice to see that it is cold. Have you taken it on any snow laiden roads? Be interested to see how you go on say the crown range road after some snow.

Th most snow I've been in so far was only about 2" and the Tig was completely at home, no drama at all. The stock rubber I have (Michelin Latitude Diamaris) isn't much good in slippery mud cos it clogs the grooves quite quickly but that doesn't seem to be an issue in snow and ice. Could be a problem with really thick snow but frankly I'd be going for chains in those conditions anyway (at least on the front).

The Crown Range is only half an hour from here and with "normal" snow levels on the seal (it's all sealed through there now) I don't think you'd have any problems at all.

This is all with the proviso of having the "off-road" electronics available of course, though from what I've seen there's a number of Canadians that swear by the standard 4motion Tiguan as long as it's on winter tyres.

Cheers

DieselTig
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
That sideways "shuffle" he seems to get part way down may be caused by the esp, that's why I always turn the esp OFF when turning the off-road ON, it can get you into big trouble. He should have been able to just "trickle" down on hill-descent control after he got over the crest really. Good to watch though !!

Cheers
The slope may also be slippery, hence the sideways slip. Hard to tell. But these Greeks like to test the Tig to the limit.

NZTiguan
11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
The slope may also be slippery, hence the sideways slip. Hard to tell. But these Greeks like to test the Tig to the limit.

Yep could be but it seems as if the rear is just stepping around to the right which can happen with the ESP ON where there's a camber. JJJ in South Africa had a close call because of it and warned us all to turn ESP OFF when we're in situations like that, it certainly can make oooooooooh moments into aaaaaaaaah moments !!

Cheers

DieselTig
11-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Yep could be but it seems as if the rear is just stepping around to the right which can happen with the ESP ON where there's a camber. JJJ in South Africa had a close call because of it and warned us all to turn ESP OFF when we're in situations like that, it certainly can make oooooooooh moments into aaaaaaaaah moments !!

Cheers
Agree, ESP OFF when trying these downhill acrobatics. As for the question of snow driving from mikinoz, there are lots of youtube videos from the russians with good examples.