PDA

View Full Version : Vibrations!

gpk_gti
05-01-2007, 02:16 PM
sorry guys this is not about the old polish club:D

Has anyone changed the dogbone engine mount by replacing the original soft rubbers to a much harder compound? and then found that there is a slight vibration at idle??:? ?changed the clutch yesterday and while I was under the car I changed the dogbone mounts.The clutch and all assoc stuff was replaced correctly.
its peeing me off!!!! any advice would be great:)

Tim
05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
if u uprate the mounts isnt it normal to get extra vibration? usually they will settle a bit after a few kms too. well that was my experience with my MK3.

gpk_gti
05-01-2007, 04:17 PM
yeah thought so!going to nelsons bay this week so hopefully with the 600 odd ks should settle.The original ones were so soft and tatty.

Bug_racer
05-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Did you change the flywheel when you changed the clutch ?
How many k's on the car ?

gpk_gti
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
no I didnt change the flywheel.the car has 106500kms.

Bug_racer
07-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Who recommended a clutch replacement without doing the flywheel ? Did you at least replace the clutch slave cylinder ?

We had a flywheel blow out a while back in one of the race cars , the two parts of the dual mass seperated and damaged the whole housing of the gearbox and also the input shaft of the gearbox . We always replaced the flywheels from that point on .

I always replace the dual mass with the steel one piece flywheels . They may rattle a bit more at idle but its a lot better than paying the $1200 or whatever it is for a new flywheel .

The other thing Im curious of is your claim of 176kw out of a DBC car with a KO3s . I claim 180KW with 3 inch exhaust and the smaller KO4 kit . All the KO3s is is a KO3 with a larger exhaust wheel

h100vw
07-01-2007, 07:15 PM
I bought a dog bone kit from ECS tuning and that vibrates quite a bit at idle. I reckon you could get away with only changing the biggest bush and that wouldn't introduce as much vibration.
I also just did the wishbone bushes and the ones that I removed were shot to death. The car steers much more positively and doesn't wander off line round bends any more when you hit a bump.

Gavin

YellowDieselGolf
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
My upgraded dogbone took about a month to free up.

gpk_gti
13-01-2007, 03:47 PM
thanks guys for all your responses!! I just came back from Nelsons bay,500km trip and it seems the rattle has died down.definately the dog bone.:)
oh,I forgot.The chip that I have put is the mtm 176kw chip which im sure you know about.I have not used their turbo or injectors just their chip that is claimed 176kw.As I have dyno'ed the car before chip,I will be shortly dyno'ing again with the chip.The person doing the dyno is a third party who is not involved with any chip manufacturer/seller.
and as for changing the flywheel,why would it be necessary to change it when there is nothing wrong with it?my car is not a race car,just a fast daily driver.

Bug_racer
14-01-2007, 09:14 AM
What else have you done to the car ? A KO3s wont flow enough get 176kw . 176kw from a drive by cable car means your going to need around 130-140 kw ATW's .

As for changing the flywheel , they are a servicable unit . Last time I checked a clutch kit for a gti from a dealer included the flywheel . Same reason why a thrust bearing and pressure plate are changed , they wear out ! .
And your car might not be a race car , we changed the clutches on those cars every 500 or so km , so the '000's of km you do would equate to the '00's a race car does . There has probably only been a couple of dual mass flywheels I would have re-used that still had a small amount of play in them . But its your car so its your choice

aprr32
14-01-2007, 09:33 AM
We never reuse a dual mass flywheel,always fit a new clutch/flywheel kit. The old flywheel may look alright sitting on the ground but when they are spinning its a different story.Besides who likes taking gearboxes out twice on the're own car and not get paid for it?

gpk_gti
14-01-2007, 10:09 AM
you are right aprr32,bi&ch of a job.was done unexpectedly as I wasnt sure id have access to the workshop.:mad: and was heading on holidays the next day.have to put it on my things to do list.

gpk_gti
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
found this thread regarding dogbone mounts,,, at the bottom he talks about the vibrations!!! anyway mine has completely settled!!
http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13397

XXX-1.8T
13-02-2007, 04:12 PM
any news on your dyno run?

I would be interested to see what u get from your "176kw" chip ;)

DubSteve
13-02-2007, 04:31 PM

I'm pretty sure he's getting more than that, by the way it moves.

h100vw
13-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Sorry but I am another doubting Thomas.... :(

Gavin

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 06:31 PM
sorry guys,,,still waiting on 2 more bits to arrive and deciding on a another bit!! will definately let everyone know when its done.whats the big deal anyway??
http://www.mtm-online.de/imgneu/imgmtm/SO/so-0a3-18-f.mp3 ,,when I pass you ,I should sound like this!!hehehehe

fuzion
13-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Im still curious on the Dyno as well, 232hp flywheel would be 173kw, 3 down from previous? :P

Feel free to use my friends MDX Dyno @ Crescent Motorsports in Liverpool if you need one. very accurate dyno, no dyno dynamics shootout rubbish lol
9600-6229.

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 07:26 PM
thanks fuzion, im not delaying or bumming around with the dyno.Im doing it for my curiosity.Ill do it when some other bits come.Iv got the guy for the dyno ,thats not a problem.He is a third party not involved in chips or turbos or anyone in the vw scene.I know I have mentioned it before,but the chip is MTM ,made for use with their 5000euro upgrade.I didnt use their hardware,which is a k04 and fuel pressure reg and injectors.I used a FREE k03s and the chip was modified by Germany MTM to use with that turbo.So the chip technically is still their 232hp chip,but with all my mutant mods added.
How about everyone else put up their 3rd party dyno runs???with mods listed???

XXX-1.8T
13-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure he's getting more than that, by the way it moves.

ur dreaming if u think his getting more than 176kw with a K03

as for me comparing dyno's doesnt mean much but ill post one anyways:

I did this dyno when i first got my Oettinger chip and turbo back exhaust and got 120kw at the wheels in shootout mode:

http://home.people.net.au/~xxx18t/images/OettingerDyno.jpg

Then some time later once i had my adjustable cam gear and enlarged turbo intake pipe on ANOTHER dyno i got 116kw at the wheels which on the same day K04 1.8t's were making 123kw's. I am happy that my car is making 7kws less than a K04 1.8T as i am still running my K03 with stock internals just with a few little mods here and there ;)

No offence man but i wouldnt be bragging about 176kw or a 232hp chip as u may get a rude shock come dyno day.

Just out of curiousity do u know what sort of boost ur turbo is running at the moment?

cheers,
Costa...

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 10:16 PM
whats with the dreamin bit? not interested in runs mate.ohh and by the way ,, its a ko3s not a ko3.
I havent said how many kw or hp I think im getting anywhere if you bothered to read.all I have said is I have used that kw chip.and just by writing NO OFFENSE doesnt mean that i shouldnt get offended.I am,i dont know you and you dont know me.

XXX-1.8T
13-02-2007, 10:19 PM
whats with the dreamin bit? not interested in runs mate.ohh and by the way ,, its a ko3s not a ko3.
I havent said how many kw or hp I think im getting anywhere if you bothered to read.all I have said is I have used that kw chip.

I wasnt talking to you about the dreaming bit i was talking to MK3VR6 hence the quote :)

I know its a K03s its in ur sig ;) and so is your hp rating of 232hp :)

Just out of curiosity what other engine mods have you done?

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 10:31 PM
mate, as soon as all the work is done and then the dyno is complete,I will be posting up all relevent info and dyno sheet so every one will be able to see how to upgrade a 1.8t on a budget.then I will be leaving the country as im sure there will be a thread as long as !! frankly I really dont care about dynos,or drags or dodos.I have nothing to prove here or nothing to prove to anyone.Im on forum for fun and to share my hobby.

the car will be ready for the nationals.
thanks.

XXX-1.8T
13-02-2007, 10:34 PM
mate, as soon as all the work is done and then the dyno is complete,I will be posting up all relevent info and dyno sheet so every one will be able to see how to upgrade a 1.8t on a budget.then I will be leaving the country as im sure there will be a thread as long as !! frankly I really dont care about dynos,or drags or dodos.I have nothing to prove here or nothing to prove to anyone.Im on forum for fun and to share my hobby.

the car will be ready for the nationals.
thanks.

I wish you all the best :)

No need to get defensive the forum is here to learn :)

I had to learn once too when i got my A3 back in 2001 its all good!

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 10:48 PM
the only reason im defensive is because you said my friend and fellow member is dreaming and you are the one being offensive.
You are right,the forum is here to learn,not to be smart to other members, eg,
No offence man but i wouldnt be bragging about 176kw or a 232hp chip as u may get a rude shock come dyno day.

sticking a smiley at the end doesnt mean your being sincere or nice.

XXX-1.8T
13-02-2007, 10:57 PM
the only reason im defensive is because you said my friend and fellow member is dreaming and you are the one being offensive.
You are right,the forum is here to learn,not to be smart to other members, eg,

sticking a smiley at the end doesnt mean your being sincere or nice.

no probs man sorry to cause offence i hate it when people get ripped off (which i hope u didnt)

But there are a lot of people that make claims about chips and dont deliver so all the best man, na se kala!

gpk_gti
13-02-2007, 11:04 PM
thats ok re,, im not the one making any claims,and I didnt get ripped as this is a reputable german company like oettinger is.they are TUV approved as you know.
just remember to save your anger for the sellers of these so called chips,not the buyers!!!

DubSteve
13-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Guys lets take it easy, there is no need to get like that. This is a forum for everyone to share there opinions and learn from there fellow peers.

ur dreaming if u think his getting more than 176kw with a K03

The chip is a 176kw chip, lets all get that straight I think everyone gets that wrong. For all we know his car could only be making 160kw. But that is what that chip has been rated at.

I wasn't dreaming I saw and it moved :D Very fast car. Good luck to the man if he makes 176kw if not then back to the drawing board he goes to see if he can better himself. There is no need to put down another member of this forum.

This was a thread that was started about a member that was having problems with vibrations on his car. If use want to start a Dyno thread then by all means go for it fellas.

But lets keep it cool, calm and fair.

brackie
14-02-2007, 05:12 AM
Not happy with the way this is going. I've split threads in the past and been criticized for doing it and also deleted posts that have got out of hand, but I will do it again to maintain the friendly atmosphere of this forum.

Let's keep things civil by avoiding the hypothetical especially when it comes to chips or other "invisible" mods. Also, when you start mixing mods and chips you completely lose comparability and the discussion becomes meaningless.

gpk_gti
14-02-2007, 07:19 AM
this is exactly why I havent posted all my mods and havent claimed kw/hp output.I have done a dyno before the chip and will do a dyno once a couple of extra mods are done.
I will be starting a new thread with ALL mods and power output once its complete,before the nationals.
The reason I decided to do tis is because when I was looking for advise and some sort of mod plan for the 1.8t,there was none on the net.So im going to post it here!!!
feels like im being picked on...

gpk_gti
14-02-2007, 08:19 AM
I was just thinking how,not many othere people are posting their mods/chips on 1.8t's here??? hhhmmm ..WHY???

DubSteve
14-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Not hijacking the thread, just simply stating that if you would like to be heard and see what kind of mods any member has done then come for a friendly BBQ that we will have before the Nationals. This way everyone can be heard and opinions can be voiced.

I'm sure that we can all voice our own opinions, but just don't criticise others for saying something, by doing that then all you are doing is destroying the morals of the forum and what they stand for which is fairness and a great evvironment.

XXX-1.8T
14-02-2007, 09:13 AM
I agree with all thats been said!

the forum is here to learn and discuss things, GPK u dont need to feel picked on we are just discussing things for the benefit of all.

Im not afraid to list my mods which are:

Oettinger Chip
Oettinger TB 3" exhaust with hi flowed cat
Peloquin LSD
Muller Cold air intake
Intercooler Mod
Poli Bushes
Muller Adjustable cam gear
Muller Enlarged Turbo intake pipe
TT Short shifter mod
ECS lightened flywheel and clutch
H&R Coilovers slammed to 65mm at rear and 60mm at the front
H&R front anti roll bar
Whiteline rear adjustable swaybar
18x8 Breyton Avalanches
Goodyear F1 GSD3's
Pagid Red Pads
DBA slotted discs
Factory Audi A3 Xenon Lights

Feel free to shoot any questions :)

gtimk5
14-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok guys, lets get back on the subject of the vibration. Has the mount settled in yet? :?
When all the mods are done then some accurate figures can be quoted.
We are all a friendly community and I can see the story from both sides. Beck to the vibration concerns please and no more sensetivity...
Thanks, Andrew :)

DubSteve
14-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Well said Andrew this was a thread about Vibrations not mods.

If use want to start a thread about mods then use are welcome to.

Back to the friendly chitychat about vibrations. Like Andrew said is it still vibrating or has it settled down now.

gpk_gti
14-02-2007, 12:06 PM
the vibrations,,,all gone!!!! was the mount,check the link to another website further back on this thread.

fuzion
14-02-2007, 08:22 PM
back off subject, k03s being the k03'sport i presume from the ae editions? thats the only thing i can think off, otherwise you've sourced a tt turbo or something rather..

just out of curiosity, not having a go here or nothing thats all!

i think euromotive[seb] will be holding a Dyno Day very shortly, would be good for you guys to come along and jump on again, im sure xxx18t will be there, myself inclusive as well and plenty of other guys!

gtimk5
15-02-2007, 06:39 AM
The dyno day can now be a seperate topic from now on please