PDA

View Full Version : Antenna

tiguan_hunting
23-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone replaced the stock standard antenna on the Tig? I believe if you have RCD310 and RCD510 the antenna is the same i.e. a very long one. But with the RNS510 you get the antenna that looks a little bit like a shark fin. The existing antenna is too long for my liking and I fear that I might snap it off one day when I use my cross bars to carry stuff on the roof.

I asked Volkswagen and the only other option I have is the shark fin one that is being used when you have the RNS510. But they aren't sure whether it would work with the RCD310. Alternatively is to look for an after-market one. Has anyone replaced their antenna before?

Thanks

Pullstarter
23-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I got the Sharan replica antenna for mine as the stock one was hitting the rolladoor, you can get em here, good service and free shipping on this item too :) Screws straight in no mods required.

http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=21

tiguan_hunting
23-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I got the Sharan replica antenna for mine as the stock one was hitting the rolladoor, you can get em here, good service and free shipping on this item too :) Screws straight in no mods required.

http://www.dubaddiction.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=21
Thanks Pullstarter. I saw this but I wasn't sure whether it would fit the Tigga as it looked it was for the Golf.
How do you fine the reception? Any problems?

Pullstarter
24-06-2009, 07:02 PM
No difference in reception to the stock one that i've noticed. Maybe middle of nowhere would be different but I usually listen to CDs on a trip anyway :)

Pullstarter
24-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Pic of antenna installed :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=4684&d=1245834209

Dilusi
24-06-2009, 07:57 PM

That is great. Thanks for the link and photo. This will save grief in some of my local car parks.

DJY
24-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I want a shark fin on mine!

Can anyone confirm if you get the RNS510 installed at a dealer that they will put a shark fin on it as well?

(I currently have the RCD510)

tiguan_hunting
24-06-2009, 08:18 PM

Can anyone confirm if you get the RNS510 installed at a dealer that they will put a shark fin on it as well?

The shark fin costs about $250 but I think you need to have the shark fin installed anyway if you upgrade to the RNS510 but I might be wrong. Give your local dealer a call. Ask for spare parts/service.

sama13
25-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I got this one as it's pretty neat, I haven't loss any reception and as Pullstarter when I'm on the highway I'm normally on CD or IPOD

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Tiguan-4_Motion-2.0T/Exterior/Antennas/ES4491/imagepopup.html?imgID=3482

varsur
25-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Pullstarter,

How easy is to install this? can I do it myself.

Thanks.

NZTiguan
25-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Pullstarter,

Thanks.

I've got a different one (looks exactly like the original BUT shorter) and they're totally SIMPLE to install, screw one out, screw the other in, 30 seconds !!

Cheers

NZTiguan
25-06-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm pretty sure that the shark-fin is NOT required for the RNS510 cos it's actually for satellite radio or something like that. If you go onto http://www.mytiguan.com/ you should be able to find a thread from Rocc in Jamaica who retro-fitted the RNS510 in his Tig and I'm almost positive he just has the standard antenna cos the GPS one fits inside the dash somewhere.

Cheers

Pullstarter
25-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Pullstarter,

Thanks.

As NZ says, unscrew original, screw on new one, simple as that :) You don't need to change the actual base just the screw in part on top of the base.

tobyjug
04-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Mine wouldnt go under the garage door so I just removed it. The radio and sat-nav still works OK.
I just screwed in a short bolt to fill the hole.

Pullstarter
04-07-2009, 09:04 AM
I had the same probelem with the garage door that's why I went the stubby. Being in the UK you can get them fairly cheaply on Ebay, there's hundreds on there to choose from.

DJY
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I can confirm in AUST that a dealer retro fit doesn't include the shark fin antenna... maybe it is sat radio or the car kit concept for car phones (rather than just a blue tooth internal connection).

pangy
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda CRV antenna fits perfectly, is smaller and AM reception is nearly as good.

Bayman
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I got a stubby from Tim at Dubaddiction from day 2 of ownership and had no problems with reception. Looks much better and I can now get my Tig in my garage. Actually I found that the stock Tiguan antenna is about 2cm longer than the replacement one from a dealer which costs about $36 so if you don't want a stubby, shop around for a different lenght.

This came about by the dealer accidently leaving an antenna in my boot whilst fitting a towbar, strange isn't it? And I was desperate to compare lenghts. I can provide the part No. if anyone wants it. PM me.