whoistheg
23-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

We pickup our EOS on Sat and i want to make sure we have the latest version
of the maps..

I know there are 2 versions

RNS 510 V1 = MFD2 V14 = Sensis/Telstra V14
RNS 510 V2 = MFD2 V15 = Sensis/Telstra V15

How can i tell from looking on the Nav we are getting V2 or Sensis V15 ?

if there a screen which says about this map ?

Or do we get a DVD in the glove box?

thanks

coastie
23-06-2009, 10:13 PM
DVD in vehicle, don't leave dealership without it.

whoistheg
27-06-2009, 08:37 PM
yup got DVD V2

very happy i did not have to fight for it :)

Damn the Nav is impressive. i would say 100% better than using tomtoms

Ammo
29-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I have DVD version 2. Got it in June with the new wheels. When u open the toc file in the dvd you can see the date of the data is Q1 2008. Was a major disappointment as 18mths out of date, I have complained to VW head office about it. Waiting to see if i get the next version for free.

Maverick
29-06-2009, 11:41 PM
I have DVD version 2. Got it in June with the new wheels. When u open the toc file in the dvd you can see the date of the data is Q1 2008. Was a major disappointment as 18mths out of date, I have complained to VW head office about it. Waiting to see if i get the next version for free.

The maps aren't 18 months out of date and it's not a VW problem. VW have supplied the latest maps available which is the 2008 Sensis R15 (Sensis do a few releases throughout the year). The Q1 maps may not be released until mid year or later and VW has to incorporate this into an RNS 510 update.

Sensis are useless (as you would expect from a Telstra company) and the mapping data is poorly done compared to other countries. Japan has 3D buildings, trees and features for the RNS 510 in the major cities. We're lucky if Telstra/Sensis will tell us the correct road to drive on or even what lane to be in on a multi lane road.

Pana
29-06-2009, 11:55 PM
. We're lucky if Telstra/Sensis will tell us the correct road to drive on or even what lane to be in on a multi lane road.

I'm assuming the maps don't have the lane guidance in them - I have the option on in my car but haven't heard the nice lady ever say which lane to be in..... :duh:

whoistheg
30-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Yes

mine has lane guidance on the maps..

Note that it only really works on freeways. It does not work
on smaller roads.

In Vic it works on the Wesgate Freeway/Princess Freeway. When i
turn off into the CBD though it does not do the lane guidance.

I just wished AU had the traffic updates..

Swallowtail
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Got V2 in mine - had to kick up a stink to get the DVD but they got one for me in the end.

I have just updated it to include BP and Caltex fuel stations and fixed traffic cameras. No alerting unfortunately for the cameras, but they show on screen which is cool.

esc
09-07-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi would it be possible for me to get a copy of the latest map DVD? Dealers over here in WA never gave out the disc :(

ta

johnc
12-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Any word on the latest maps that were meant to come out late last year? (V3)

I just updated to the latest firmware and it swiped my drive, and I can't find my V2 disc anywhere. =(

Swallowtail
13-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I haven't heard anything about v3... I've asked VW, but no answer yet.

johnc
13-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks Swallowtail.

GreasyChicken
13-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Got V2 in mine - had to kick up a stink to get the DVD but they got one for me in the end.

I have just updated it to include BP and Caltex fuel stations and fixed traffic cameras. No alerting unfortunately for the cameras, but they show on screen which is cool.

Hey Swollowtail,

I have version1 maps on my RNS510, how do you update it with fuel stations and fixed cameras?

is it a manual process of inputing the data?

Cheers
Hash

Swallowtail
13-01-2010, 01:00 PM
It's a pain in the ass... LOL. You need the POI files for the places you need, you'll probably need a POI Converter utility, and you'll need POI Inspector (search on vwnavi.com for posts on that).

You'll also need appropriate icons 34x39 png, and some blank DVDs to play with. Once you have added the POIs you can show them on the map in Map Setup.

Maverick
13-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I haven't heard anything about v3... I've asked VW, but no answer yet.

It was expected out late last year so should be anytime now.

davidh
06-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Skoda, as part of the VW group, provided a Columbus in my car, which I think is the same as the RNS510. They reckon the latest is V1, with files dated Sept 2007. So my brand new car thinks both ends of the main freeway in Perth are proposed roads. And the my car wasn't even launched until July 2009.

So anyone who has suggestions, please let me know.

paulconsidine
21-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I have a new skoda(delivered late Nov09) and the dealer refused to give me the DVD. I asked the question several times and was told categorically that "skoda head office" said NOT to give the customer the disks.

I have also inquired about the nav update and was told it is due in FEB and that the upgrade is being arranged for me - BUT when I asked if it will be FOC or chargeable they wont respond.

It appears from other posts on this site that they are in fact in breach of the software licencing agreement if they refuse to give the end user the dvd.

There is no way on gods green earth that I am forking out for a new disk 2-3 months after buying the machine....

Swallowtail
21-02-2010, 01:08 PM
I have a new skoda(delivered late Nov09) and the dealer refused to give me the DVD. I asked the question several times and was told categorically that "skoda head office" said NOT to give the customer the disks.

I have also inquired about the nav update and was told it is due in FEB and that the upgrade is being arranged for me - BUT when I asked if it will be FOC or chargeable they wont respond.

It appears from other posts on this site that they are in fact in breach of the software licencing agreement if they refuse to give the end user the dvd.

There is no way on gods green earth that I am forking out for a new disk 2-3 months after buying the machine....

You need to take it up with Skoda head office...

davidh
24-02-2010, 05:51 PM

I had to yell and scream for my disk, and got it 3 weeks after delivery. That meant all the menus were in German until I got the disk. What state did you buy in? What system do you have?

paulconsidine
24-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I have the RNS-510 "Columbus" and live in QLD

davidh
25-02-2010, 12:51 PM
I have the RNS-510 "Columbus" and live in QLD

So same system, but I'm in WA, so I can't share. But what is the point when it is 3 year old data? I would love to hear when you get your map updates sorted out.

paulconsidine
01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I will let you know.

I cant even get Skoda to respond to emails at the moment, about to crack the ****s bigtime.

Mk6 Golf
03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
So same system, but I'm in WA, so I can't share. But what is the point when it is 3 year old data? I would love to hear when you get your map updates sorted out.

I'm also in Perth. I picked up my new Golf last week with the RNS510, however I have NO disks! I'm trying to get the disks from the dealer, but now that I've paid the money and purchased the car it seems like I'm low priority...

My experience so far with the RNS510:

Day 1: Set destination on nav, 3 minutes later it was telling me to trun right on a left tun only. Looks like road (left only) change is at least a few years old!

Day 3: Touring down south, sat. nav. says freeway ends when it doesn't, plus the new freeway extension is not included at all.

Day 4: Once down south, travelling around the Margaret River winery region, several roads not even listed in directory or shown on map.

Day 5+: Not using sat. nav. until I get up-to-date map data. When? Some say a few more months (say June 2010), some say at least 6 more, possible 12! Wondering if I should go out and buy a Tom Tom??

Swallowtail
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
V2 is 2008 data I believe. V3 is due out very soon. Where have you heard 6 to 12 months from? The new disc (v16 for the older CD-based systems) is available now for the previous generation VW nav systems, so it shouldn't be long now...

Mk6 Golf
03-03-2010, 06:28 PM
V2 is 2008 data I believe. V3 is due out very soon. Where have you heard 6 to 12 months from? The new disc (v16 for the older CD-based systems) is available now for the previous generation VW nav systems, so it shouldn't be long now...

I'm getting the "6 to 12 months" timeline from the dealer whom I just purchased the car from? That said, I am getting passed around a bit from one person to the next, so I get the feeling that (maybe) they just don't know, hence are guessing. I'd like to know what the realistic release date is, e.g. April 2001, May 2010, etc... Also, how do i get it?

btw - some have told me that "soon" or "shouldn't be long know" can equate to a VERY long time :( I hope not, as I love the car and the RNS510, but just feel very frustrated with incorrect data.. Oh well.. I probably just have to try harder to be more patient!