PDA

View Full Version : Interesting: How the Tiguan got its name

Arctra
23-06-2009, 11:00 AM
On my way to work this morning it all of a sudden struck me that I had no idea what Tiguan meant, and remember when doing Marketing at university of examples of disastrous product names that mean something undesirable in some cultures. So I did a quick lookup of what Tiguan means and found this article:
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/away_with_words/2008/06/how-the-tiguan-got-its-name.html

It appears the name is arbitrary and it comes from combining the names Tiger and Iguana. Interesting article to read IMO.

WannaTig
23-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Like Pajero being Spanish for wanker?

team_v
23-06-2009, 11:11 AM
That is also why the amarok has a strange name.

On June the 4th 2009 it was christened Amarok which means Wolf in the Inuit language. This name also means "he loves stones" in the Romance languages, which are spoken in the major markets in Brazil and Argentina.

I kind of agree with the naming of the tiguan.
It looks like a bit of a lazy iguana, but it can be a tiger, especially with the chip bumping it up to 197kw.

phaeton
23-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Did you also know that Rockton, Samun and Namib were also choices for the Tiguan ?

AutoBild readers chose (voted) the Tiguan name.

team_v
23-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Did you also know that Rockton, Samun and Namib were also choices for the Tiguan ?

AutoBild readers chose (voted) the Tiguan name.

Hahahaha, man i am so glad they chose tiguan.
So much better than the other options there.

phaeton
23-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I liked Namib then Rockton but knew Tiguan would get it as Tiguan-Touareg sound more familiar.

Amarok :duh:

Tigga1
23-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I liked Namib then Rockton but knew Tiguan would get it as Tiguan-Touareg sound more familiar.

Amarok :duh:

didn/'t they end up using Namib as a wheel name choice...?

jayjay
23-06-2009, 07:17 PM
i dunno.. if they stuck with the proper old english sports - golf, polo...

i'm not too sure about the volkswagen tennis or volkswagen croquet.. :?

team_v
23-06-2009, 07:21 PM
i dunno.. if they stuck with the proper old english sports - golf, polo...

i'm not too sure about the volkswagen tennis or volkswagen croquet.. :?

Jeez, i never actually realised that vw used english sport names lol.

Could be called the cricket, or high tea for the bluesport :p

geoff_gti
23-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Don't forget the VW Fox in some markets too!

All we need now is a VW Bowls :mowlawn:

clip
23-06-2009, 08:01 PM
might as well have been called netball or badminton or MST (mum's shopping trolley) because everyone I've shown it to has said "one of these would be great for my wife". :duh:

jayjay
23-06-2009, 08:11 PM
lol. chip that mf and take them for a ride. :)

i feel like volkswagen has missed out on the whole number and lettering thing..

ie, 330i, a4, c320 etc. it has to keep coming up with names like the "vw up!" and "vw amorak". how upsetting.

clip
23-06-2009, 08:42 PM
lol. chip that mf and take them for a ride. :)

i feel like volkswagen has missed out on the whole number and lettering thing..

ie, 330i, a4, c320 etc. it has to keep coming up with names like the "vw up!" and "vw amorak". how upsetting.
yeh, I agree - all very lame IMO.

And of course the current TV add for the Tig doesn't help much either.

tiguan_hunting
23-06-2009, 08:43 PM
might as well have been called netball or badminton or MST (mum's shopping trolley) because everyone I've shown it to has said "one of these would be great for my wife". :duh:
whats wrong with badminton?? it's a great game and it ain't lame.

and yes i do play it!

clip
23-06-2009, 08:58 PM
whats wrong with badminton?? it's a great game and it ain't lame.

and yes i do play it!
nothing, just that it resonates with me because my ex used to play badminton with the "girls" every Thursday (although I suspect it was more a drinking session).

tiguan_hunting
23-06-2009, 09:00 PM
nothing, just that it resonates with me because my ex used to play badminton with the "girls" every Thursday (although I suspect it was more a drinking session).
I personally would recommend playing badminton after a few drinks. Makes it a lot more interesting!

clip
24-06-2009, 06:27 PM
I personally would recommend playing badminton after a few drinks. Makes it a lot more interesting!
lol!!! that's EXACTLY what she used to say! :rolllaugh: