PDA

View Full Version : high tensile billet alloy (adapter material)

WABIT
22-06-2009, 03:51 PM
hey guys have some t6166 something (cant remember the exact strenght) strenght billet alloy blocks for sale

2x 40mm and 2x 35mm

one has started the center bore for vw as you can see in this pic
this is the actual material all quality adapters are made from

$150 for all
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/06/06052009153-1.jpg

cheers
dom

Mrk_Mickey
22-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Argh if only I knew how to machine these properly I'd snap them up in a heartbeat...good luck mate.

schoona
22-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Argh if only I knew how to machine these properly I'd snap them up in a heartbeat...good luck mate.

Do it Mickey. I haven't SEEN the process done, but I would hazard a guess and say the slot mill is your friend. Aswell as one of htose vices that rotate 90 degress to the bed and also rotate through 360 degrees to evenly space your PCD. Name of is escaping me atm.

Or carbide tipped boring bar and a good lathe.

Preen59
22-06-2009, 08:19 PM
hey guys have some t6166 something (cant remember the exact strenght) strenght billet alloy blocks for sale

cheers
dom

It's 6061 (Aircraft/tooling grade) T6 hardened, Dom. :)

Do it Mickey. I haven't SEEN the process done, but I would hazard a guess and say the slot mill is your friend. Aswell as one of htose vices that rotate 90 degress to the bed and also rotate through 360 degrees to evenly space your PCD. Name of is escaping me atm.

Or carbide tipped boring bar and a good lathe.

Rotary Table you'd be thinking of, but that's a pain in the neck for doing something so simple.

Turn em up in the lathe. Mark your PCD(s) with the corner of the tool, mark em out by hand, centre punch them, centre drill them. Drill them. Counterbore, tap whatever.

Done. :)

EDIT: What's the diameter of them, Dom?

Mrk_Mickey
22-06-2009, 08:56 PM
EDIT: What's the diameter of them, Dom?

Judging by the size of the centrebore to the overall diameter, I'd say 170mm ish.. (57.1mm x 3)

WABIT
22-06-2009, 09:00 PM
the diamater is i think 160mm

dom

Preen59
22-06-2009, 09:11 PM
the diamater is i think 160mm

dom

Hmmm. That's pretty cheap just quietly. :biggrin:

If i had a use or some spare cash for them, i'd snap them up. :duh:

twin eng, twin turbs
24-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Hmmm. That's pretty cheap just quietly. :biggrin:

If i had a use or some spare cash for them, i'd snap them up. :duh:

Ha, obviously the tool room dosn't have the stocks of alluminium it used to Chris... :nana:

Preen59
24-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Ha, obviously the tool room dosn't have the stocks of alluminium it used to Chris... :nana:

It's got a bit, but not a heap. We usually only get in what's needed for the jobs these days. We've just started a new SxS foam plug so we've got a heap of massive 6061 billets sitting on the floor at the moment.. :biggrin:

Someone should snap this material up.. It's bloody cheap. If you need to get adapters made, get it and get them to make it out of this stuff! :)

WABIT
25-06-2009, 04:22 PM
bump! someone take this stuff! sitting in my garage doing SFA!
no one wants custom wheels to fit? porsche people im talking your way!....

dom