PDA

View Full Version : RACQ small four wheel drive road test

Dilusi
21-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Last week I received my RACQ magazine which had a “Small four wheel drive road test”. The test compared the diesel versions of Hyundai Santa Fe, Nissan X trail, Renault Koleos, Skoda Octavia scout, and VW Tiguan.

It is interesting that the Tiguan is billed as the “cheapest” of the bunch.

The Tiguan topped (or equalled) each category reviewed except for off road. Tiguan’s ratings:

Value for money 3.5 stars
Design and function 4 stars
On the road 4.5 stars
Off Road 3 stars
Overall 4.5 stars

One thing that surprised me is that the Tiguan’s estimated servicing costs to 75000 km, and tyres ,brakes etc costs were the lowest of the group.

Overall the comment was the Tiguan “struts close to all round capability rather than go anywhere specialty. It suggests that with the off road technology pack, “it would make the cheapest vehicle on test also the best”. (I think they mean best in every category as it rated the best overall in the review without the off road pack :)).

Re off road, I am more interested in on-road or soft-road activities than hard core off road so the off road comments are not too hard to live with. BTW, I would love to read of experiences of anyone's experiences with the off road technology.

Transporter
21-06-2009, 12:51 PM
The off road technology must be worthwhile just for the tyre pressure monitoring.alone.

Dilusi
21-06-2009, 07:47 PM
The off road technology must be worthwhile just for the tyre pressure monitoring.alone.

For $300, I agree. (The tyre pressure monitoring also comes standard on the 147TSI)

clip
21-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I reckon it's a load of codswallop!

These reviews give me the proverbial !@@#'s!

The thing that really interests me is the Koreans again coming in for a call. Have any of you ever driven a 5 year old Korean vehicle? Even the Hyundai salesman told me don't ever keep one for more than 4 years! And that was only last year.

I'm sorry but it was just another typical review where they try to placate all manufactures by not making anything stand out too much. I really dislike bike and car reviews with a passion - so contrived, so lacking objectivity that they're not worth the paper they're written on, or the bandwidth they take up.

Rant over! :)

Dilusi
21-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Even the Hyundai salesman told me ...

If the Hyundai salesman said it, it must be true :party:

team_v
21-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I have to agree with clip.

In order to save face and prevent costly legal issues due to defamation and loss of sales, most/all car reviews will give every car tested a good rap without giving a "truthful" comparison.

The best bet is to actually talk to someone who has owned one or search for specific forums.

WannaTig
22-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't think I've ever read a 'bad' review of a car. From someone presumably paid to write it, that is!

I read just about every one I could Google before signing up for a Tig, what struck me was that hardly any mentioned the crappy space saver tyre. Why not I wonder.

Especially for a car with offroad capability?

Obviously not a dealbreaker for me, still waiting (not so) patiently for mine to arrive :) but seemed odd just to not mention it at all. Maybe a case of the writer observing if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Dilusi
24-06-2009, 12:00 PM
I read just about every one I could Google before signing up for a Tig, what struck me was that hardly any mentioned the crappy space saver tyre. Why not I wonder.
You got me thinking - I put - tiguan space saver - in google and found there were lots of references to space savers in reviews. eg "The Tiguan's space-saver spare wheel is also impractical" "The same can't be said for its space-saver spare, which is annoying enough on a road-orientated car and even more so in a vehicle that's expected to encounter dirt now and then." "the space saver wheel instead of a proper spare wheel will have its detractors"

I wonder if once we make up our mind if we rationalise or overlook the negative things in favour on the positives?

On another note, based on consumer reviews, the Tiguan was Edmunds Consumers' Top Rated SUV Under $25,000 for 2009
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/consumerstoprated/2009/index.html
Note to Clip please do not look at the top rated SUV $25K-$35K (It comes from "K"). j:

Sanman
24-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Space Saver Spares hit the holy trinity of car manufacturing: lower cost, lower weight, less space. Its the new norm.

clip
24-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Note to Clip please do not look at the top rated SUV $25K-$35K (It comes from "K"). j:
Don't worry mate, I wouldn't even give them the satisfaction of just one little extra web hit :). It's all crap.

And it goes for the reviews on the Tig too. I did read some on the Tig before I bought it :duh:, but nearly everything I read was crap and didn't give me any indication of what sort of car it was - everything was so similar to everything else in the reviews that they might as well have given the best award to the one with the nicest colour range or the trendiest looking badges!

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I read a constructive, truthful and objective car or bike review.

Sharkie
24-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Honestly, I can't remember the last time I read a constructive, truthful and objective car or bike review.

So true, the only way really is to go and do your own tests and reviews ...... I drive car dealers nuts as I test drive anything that interests me. (Probably do 2 or 3 "tests" a month.) I even end up buying some of it ..... occasionally.....:duh:. Having owned more than 20 cars in the past 15 years I know what I like in a car and what is rubbish IMO.

You want a review thats not afraid to pull punches, watch TopGear UK, even if they do it to create a stir and attract a larger audience. I still remember a clip (a real video clip, that is :)) where they reviewed a Vauxhal (Holden/Opel) Zafira and pointed out that the badge alone is enough to make people run away screaming .......:biggrin:

Dilusi
24-06-2009, 07:52 PM
You want a review thats not afraid to pull punches, watch TopGear UK, even if they do it to create a stir and attract a larger audience. I still remember a clip (a real video clip, that is :)) where they reviewed a Vauxhal (Holden/Opel) Zafira and pointed out that the badge alone is enough to make people run away screaming .......:biggrin:

Yes, TopGear UK presenters are certainly not afraid to express an opinion.

I like this site http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com - at least the reviewers have a sense of humour, and I have just finished reading a "one star" review on the 2010 Prius. This is definitely not a PC review. For example "I would rather visit my dentist than drive the Prius again"

WannaTig
29-06-2009, 09:21 PM
You got me thinking - I put - tiguan space saver - in google and found there were lots of references to space savers in reviews. eg "The Tiguan's space-saver spare wheel is also impractical" "The same can't be said for its space-saver spare, which is annoying enough on a road-orientated car and even more so in a vehicle that's expected to encounter dirt now and then." "the space saver wheel instead of a proper spare wheel will have its detractors"

I wonder if once we make up our mind if we rationalise or overlook the negative things in favour on the positives?
:

I did the same too - the majority of the negative comments were left by people commenting on a review. Only a few of the actual reviews themselves mentioned it. It's the only thing I really don't like about the Tig.

Anyway hopefully I'll never have to use it!

It may meet the criteria of the holy trinity, but I don't have to like it :nana:

Bayman
29-06-2009, 09:34 PM
For $300, I agree. (The tyre pressure monitoring also comes standard on the 147TSI)

And with 18inch wheels option for TDI/125TSI models.

NZTiguan
30-06-2009, 07:37 AM
On the space-saver issue, I personally feel it's a non-event. There seems to be some feeling out there that a flat tire (or damaged tire or wheel) is common off-road. Not that I do huge amounts of off-road but I've done a few bits and pieces over the years in various vehicles and have yet to see anybody needing a spare !! Also, if you're REALLY into off-road you usually have another set of wheels/tires that you use expressly for those activities and there's nothing to stop you having 5 of those and either chucking one in the boot or putting it on the roof-rack. As I say, I don't think it's really an issue and anybody doing really heavy off-road work wouldn't be buying a Tiguan (or any of the SOFTroaders) in the first place.

Arctra
30-06-2009, 08:46 AM
On the space-saver issue, I personally feel it's a non-event. There seems to be some feeling out there that a flat tire (or damaged tire or wheel) is common off-road. Not that I do huge amounts of off-road but I've done a few bits and pieces over the years in various vehicles and have yet to see anybody needing a spare !! Also, if you're REALLY into off-road you usually have another set of wheels/tires that you use expressly for those activities and there's nothing to stop you having 5 of those and either chucking one in the boot or putting it on the roof-rack. As I say, I don't think it's really an issue and anybody doing really heavy off-road work wouldn't be buying a Tiguan (or any of the SOFTroaders) in the first place.

*BANG* You've hit the nail on the head IMO. I'm even considering tossing the biscuit out so I have more boot space as I have a can of Tyre Weld in the side storage compartment if I get a puncture. Between that, and my Tyre Pressure Monitoring that came with the off-road pack, I reckon I have my bases sufficiently covered. And if that's not enough, then I guess I'll just put the free roadside assist that comes with the Tig to use.

Transporter
30-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm even considering tossing the biscuit out so I have more boot space as I have a can of Tyre Weld in the side storage compartment if I get a puncture. Between that, and my Tyre Pressure Monitoring that came with the off-road pack, I reckon I have my bases sufficiently covered. And if that's not enough, then I guess I'll just put the free roadside assist that comes with the Tig to use.

I'm not quite sure that the Tyre Weld would repair the sidewall puncture, generally it will seal the punctures up to 6mm, and so for that case I would keep the biscuit in the place. :)
Unless it is the risk that you're willing to take.

T&M
13-09-2009, 06:42 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/consumerstoprated/2009/index.html

Isn't that exactly what alot of people do....? "Buy on emotion and then justify with logic"