PDA

View Full Version : Auto lights.

saveferris
20-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Quick question in regards to the Auto lights, is there an illumination indicator/warning buzzer in the dash which tells you that the Auto lights have switched on or off when in low light conditions, such as going through a tunnel etc.

vwguru
20-06-2009, 12:05 PM
no, they just come on.

PassatB6
20-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Quick question in regards to the Auto lights, is there an illumination indicator/warning buzzer in the dash which tells you that the Auto lights have switched on or off when in low light conditions, such as going through a tunnel etc.

If its anything like the Passat the dash lights come on as well so its easy to see.

mr gee
21-06-2009, 12:17 PM
If its anything like the Passat the dash lights come on as well so its easy to see.

yes but very subtlely

mtj007
21-06-2009, 03:27 PM
If it's like the MkV auto switch, the "AUTO" position on the switch will change colour when they are on. I think it's green when the lights are off and red when they are on but it could be the other way around.

I can check tomorrow when dad picks up his MkVI TDI :driver:

blutopless2
22-06-2009, 08:07 AM
mtj007 is right. when in auto and lights are not on the switch "auto" picture should be green.... when the lights become active the picture goes red.
it will be obvious when they are functioning as your dash lights will come on also. if its dark enough to activate your lights you will definitely see them on.

not sure if they are harder to see if the dash lights are white. my jetta dash is blue so they are easy to tell if they are on.

bazzle
22-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I asked similar for my MkV R32. The changes to the sw ind and the dash lights coming on are not obvious.
In some Audis there is a low beam ind in the cluster that can be programmed on.
I have not been able to find it on the MkV. Maybe the MkIV has it too? and needsVAgCom to activate? Good luck

Bazzle

PassatB6
27-06-2009, 04:00 PM
You can increase the brightness of your dash lights!

Gidget
02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi all, I've had my 118TSI (my first Golf) for the past 2 months and it's been going great so far!
I have recently noticed an issue with the auto light function which I'm not sure is normal or not. When the lights are in auto mode and I'm driving in the evening the headlights are on as normal however the left foglight is on as well but the right foglight is off!

When I switch over to headlight mode, the headlights are on and both foglights are off. I then pull out the switch and both foglights come on as expected, hence there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the right foglight globe.

So is the left foglight being on but not the right foglight in auto mode normal? Thanks

mtj007
02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Is the steering wheel turned left or the left indicator on when this happens?
I think the Mk VIs with foglights also use them as cornering lights, I'm not sure under what circumstances this function works but it sounds like maybe that's what's going on with your car :???:

I was waiting at an intersection yesterday and a Ford came around the corner and I noticed one of the foglights was on, it went off at the same time as the indicator.

My dad's Mk VI doesn't have foglights so I can't check but I've seen it mentioned in a couple of reviews.

Edit: In this review it says they light up with the steering wheel turning, not the indicator being turned on. http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/02/01/tried-tested-volkswagen-golf-vi-14-tsi.html

Jase
02-07-2009, 09:11 PM
The operation of yours are not normal.

Glad I'm not the only one that has problems with their fog!!!

Could be a wiring issue but most likely it'll be the coding in the computer.

Jase
02-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I've seen that "corning function" is a selectable option via VAGCOM. I wouldn't think an Aussie car would be configured that way normally (regarding all the rules & regs on the use of fogs).

Yes, would be good to know if turning left (left fog lights up) and if turn right (right fog lights up). If so, then that cornering option has been turned on. If that's the case and you don't want it, a dealer or someone with a VAGCOM could turn it off.

mtj007
02-07-2009, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't think an Aussie car would be configured that way normally (regarding all the rules & regs on the use of fogs).

I thought that too but the Sports Pack option (includes foglights among other things) and the standalone foglight option on the Mk VI is marketed by VW Australia as "Foglights with Static Cornering Function" so it must pass the requirements...

I can imagine being pulled over if a cop saw you coming around the bend with the cornering light active and pulling you over thinking that a) you were driving with foglights on b) knew it was wrong because you turned them off as you came around the bend and saw the cop and c) one of your globes has blown :brutal:

It's bad enough with the Mk V constantly being told you've left your lights on and one of your reverse lights has blown... I'd hate to be getting told all the time that one of my foglights has blown too :duh:

Gidget
03-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all your comments, most helpful!:) I hadn't realized that the fog lights may come on when the left or right indicator lights are on as well. I'll have to check tonight.
Cheers

GolfAtom
03-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for all your comments, most helpful!:) I hadn't realized that the fog lights may come on when the left or right indicator lights are on as well. I'll have to check tonight.
Cheers

The fog lights shouldn't come on with the indicators but only if you are turning right or left (ie. if you have the cornering function).

GolfAtom
03-07-2009, 07:49 AM
It's bad enough with the Mk V constantly being told you've left your lights on and one of your reverse lights has blown... I'd hate to be getting told all the time that one of my foglights has blown too :duh:

The missus had a gentle "you're lights are on, dear" reminder from a lady when she got out of the Golf which had the lights on delay function active. If that reminder was from a guy, should I be worried?!!

Gidget
03-07-2009, 06:26 PM
The fog lights shouldn't come on with the indicators but only if you are turning right or left (ie. if you have the cornering function).

I've checked my lights and with the switch in auto, the fogs do actually light up when the corresponding indicator light is on.

mtj007
04-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Yeah I checked the manual for dad's car tonight and it said they are supposed to come on with the indicator or when turning on a sharp bend so it sounds like everything is working as it should.

GolfAtom
04-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I've checked my lights and with the switch in auto, the fogs do actually light up when the corresponding indicator light is on.

Sorry, Gidget, I didn't check before making that comment. :duh:

Gidget
04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
No problems, Golfatom. I'm still learning about the many quirky (but good) things with the 118TSI!