PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers

Kai
03-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Hey Guys

Im interested in coilover for my polo.

Just i have no idea what to get or where to get them.

Apparently KW do a kit for the polo ?

What price am i looking at fully fitted ?

Thanks for any replies. :D

-
Kai

gpk_gti
03-01-2007, 02:34 PM
On my last 3 cars ive had H&R coilovers and ive been very happy.My mate has them on his 911 carrera and it made a big difference.I wouldnt recommend just springs unless you change the shock as well,but then you dont have the ability to raise and lower.

Kai
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Wouldnt it be better to change the shock aswell ?

I thought that was the main part which changed in coilovers ? :S

gpk_gti
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
yeah the shock and coil are one in a "coilover" set.I was just mentioning if you decided to go the cheaper route of just changing the springs.
I used to just put lowering springs on my cars years ago but once you have driven a coilover packaged car its hard to go back.

Timbo
03-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, I'm keen to hear of people's experience with suspension mods. It's one area you can spend a lot of money, with not much appreciable benefit (apart, often, from a lowered car).

To me, the Pog is under-damped but coilovers seems an extreme measure to overcome this. Then again, I've priced Koni shocks and you're already a long way there :rolleyes:

Bug_racer
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Id just get v2 KW coilovers , fairly well priced , nice balance and easily adjusted .

I know Bilsteins are similar in terms of quality but are just too expensive

H&R are just too harsh for our roads

Koni's are a cheap alternative

Kai
04-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the replies so far :)

Does anyone know the prices for the KW v2 's ?

gpk_gti
04-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Id just get v2 KW coilovers , fairly well priced , nice balance and easily adjusted .

I know Bilsteins are similar in terms of quality but are just too expensive

H&R are just too harsh for our roads

Koni's are a cheap alternative
funny that! I always thought KW were a lesser brand.How much are the KW v2?which ones do you sell?

evorobin
05-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Weitec which is owned by KW is the cheap alternative in my experience. Sold by KW Australia too.

Golf Loon
05-01-2007, 12:32 PM
This thread is very opinionated, with very little measure analysis.

All these views are just that and no-one is comparing all the products available on their merits.

Price and value for money have not been mentioned.

Just a few thoughts to bear in mind. :???:

Vieussuex
05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I have the KW competitions on and they are great they are basically a KW Variant 3 but at the time KW hadn't brought out a Variant 3 package for the polo.

You should find that they KW's arnt that badly priced depending on what level u are looking at weither its for daily driving or serious track work

Speak to Dragan he is the Aust Distributor of KW's and can get u Weitecs as well, i also no there is a new clubman kit from KW which is more suited to regular track work.

Since i have had them they have been great, but to compliment the coilovers get urself a set of sway bars for your polo as well, Whiteline are bringing them out soon and Forge also have strut bars for the polo.

shaneth
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Here is a question for you. Do you think the Polo needs a strut brace. I was all keen to get one before i picked mine up but when i did i noticed that the strut tops (where the strut tops bolt too - my minds gone blank) are welded to the fire wall. Surely there cannot be to much play.

Vieussuex
05-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Your right but even still there would be movement that would cause handling issues.
The guys in the Polo cup run them, they also run a roll cage not just for safety issue but the extra bracing it does for the chassis.

I'm going to be tracking my polo a fair bit once its ready but if ur looking at maybe once a year or never dont bother u probably wont fell the benefits of a strut bar.

FL00DY
06-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Yeh I'v been in Ashley's Polo and the handling and ride was sweet.

You got the R32 brakes fitted yet?

shaneth
06-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Yeah i think coilovers would be enough for me.:) One day.

Your right but even still there would be movement that would cause handling issues.
The guys in the Polo cup run them, they also run a roll cage not just for safety issue but the extra bracing it does for the chassis.

I'm going to be tracking my polo a fair bit once its ready but if ur looking at maybe once a year or never dont bother u probably wont fell the benefits of a strut bar.

Vieussuex
06-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeh I'v been in Ashley's Polo and the handling and ride was sweet.

You got the R32 brakes fitted yet?

not yet Floody i havnt been back to sebs and im still waiting for my 17" wheels to arrive.
I can't fit them on unless im running 17" wheels.