PDA

View Full Version : 125kw tdi to be fitted to Tiguan??

audineil
19-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Hello,
I searched and could not find a specific reference so here goes...

Does anbody know if VW is planning to fit the 125kW tdi engine to the Tiguan? It is (obviously) more powerful, but also has lower emissions and lower fuel consumption than the 103tdi in the Tiguan.

Also, I have driven the Audi Q5 and VW Tiguan, both of which are on my very short list to replace my Audi A4 TQ Avant next year. I liked the auto box in the Tiguan, but preferred the DSG in the Q5. Is VW likely to fit a DSG to Tiguan? A slaesman from my local dealer said that the DSG is not suitable for offroad but Audi obviously disagrees.

Cheers,
Neil

Transporter
19-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Hello,
I searched and could not find a specific reference so here goes...

Does anbody know if VW is planning to fit the 125kW tdi engine to the Tiguan? It is (obviously) more powerful, but also has lower emissions and lower fuel consumption than the 103tdi in the Tiguan.

Also, I have driven the Audi Q5 and VW Tiguan, both of which are on my very short list to replace my Audi A4 TQ Avant next year. I liked the auto box in the Tiguan, but preferred the DSG in the Q5. Is VW likely to fit a DSG to Tiguan? A slaesman from my local dealer said that the DSG is not suitable for offroad but Audi obviously disagrees.

Cheers,
Neil

In UK they have the 125kW engine in Tiguan.
Tiguan can't have current DSG like is in the Q5, since Q5 has longitudinally mounted engine. DSG in Q5 is too long it wouldn't fit in Tig, which has est /west engine transmission set up.

Sharkie
19-06-2009, 06:20 PM
No DSG yet for the Tig. Since the R32 comes with DSG and 4Motion, it may yet happen, but don't hold your breath. 125kw TDI available overseas as Transporter said, it may eventually make it here but VW will make that decision I suspect based on the market, demand and ADR homologation costs.

Be careful with the Q5, if you have 3 kids it just wont work. Rear seat (in the middle) is VERY uncomfortable and leg space is almost non-existent due to a VERY intrusive transmission tunnel. Apart from that its great.

audineil
19-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Yes I realise the N/S vs E/W configurations. I meant the logic passed on to me by my dealer that the DSG type of transmission is not suitable for off road operation.

I don't have children so Q5 centre rear seat is not too much of a concern, but you make a valid point.

I quite like the fearures standard on the 147TSI. So am hoping tor 125TDI with the 147's features.

Neil

Sanman
19-06-2009, 08:56 PM
So am hoping tor 125TDI with the 147's features.

Neil

Here's how VWA would think - they have the entry level, the premium/sports and the diesel buyers covered. To whom would they sell a premium diesel, and would it only rob sales from their existing customers? In this market, the only other mid-Euro diesel is a Pug. No competition really.
If you want 125kW it will cost $1-2k to chip it (flash the ECU) though I don't think this is where you're at

DJY
19-06-2009, 11:32 PM
I had heard that with the limited market in Australia... that they didn't want to have a 125 Q5 as well as a 125 Tiguan... Audi being slightly pricier won that debate.

Not sure how true that is though.

Transporter
20-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I didn't see Q5 2.0L TDI offered with DSG, so they could have Tig with 2.0L TDI auto and Q5 only with manual gearbox.

Sharkie
20-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Q5s (in Australia) only come with DSG, no manual option on any model. Even the big boy 3.0TDI 500NM has it...... new generation DSG in Q5 apparently rated to 600NM .....

Transporter
20-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Unless the book is wrong.
Booklet from Audi dealer; Page 104 Audi Q5 printed November 2008
Audi Q5 TDI with manual 6 speed
Q5 2.0L TFSI 6 speed manual or 7 speed DSG

Sharkie
21-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Unless the book is wrong.
Booklet from Audi dealer; Page 104 Audi Q5 printed November 2008
Audi Q5 TDI with manual 6 speed
Q5 2.0L TFSI 6 speed manual or 7 speed DSG

Yep, is wrong, must be overseas specs. In Australia all models in DSG only.

See Aus specs here:
http://www.audi.com.au/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/au/pdf.Par.0077.File.pdf

I also initially saw an overseas spec (downloaded from the UK) and manual is available in the bottom 2 models there. The full brochure (http://www.audi.com.au/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/au/pdf.Par.0083.File.pdf)still states different but when you ask they point you towards the Aus specs on their website or in a small handout at the dealer.:duh: Apparently it is a universal brochure and not all info applicable to all countries.:frown:

I really wanted a 2.0TFSI manual but would have settled for a 2.0TFSI DSG but for its other few issues.