PDA

View Full Version : R32 replicas on my TDI

cmrtig
17-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

Just got my TDI manual almost 3 weeks ago and looking to upgrade to 18" alloys from the 16". Interested in these (R32 replicas) from Tempe tyres:

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_closeup.asp?part=&part_no=1145

The sales guy said there should be no problem fitting them on, but I read the following on VWvortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4434335

which suggests that they may not fit but I think they are talking about originals there. My question is do you think from the add that these replicas will fit straight on as I don't always trust salespeople and do you think they will improve the ride over the standard 16" given that they were not designed for the tig. also I have the offroad pack with tyre pressure monitors, hence, by replacing the alloys will that still work. one more thing they come with Kumho tyres, are these better than the Bridgestones that are on my 16" alloys.

thanks guys in advance.:)

Pullstarter
17-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Going to be a trial and error job I think, I'm in pretty much the same boat with my rim choices. Just a matter of finding what works and what doesn't the hard way really. :frown:

Sharkie
18-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Have to remember that spacers can always "fix" offset problems ....

team_v
18-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Just got my TDI manual almost 3 weeks ago and looking to upgrade to 18" alloys from the 16". Interested in these (R32 replicas) from Tempe tyres:

The sales guy said there should be no problem fitting them on, but I read the following on VWvortex:

Best bet would be to find the offset, centre bore and wheel nut fitment and compre it to aftermarket or vw oem range.

Also i would get the guy from tempetyres to send you an email stating that it will fit so if it doesn't you can send them back and clai that you were led on.

Spacers will make it fit if the offset is wrong but i thought they were illegal.

cmrtig
18-06-2009, 06:41 AM
thanks guys, but what do you mean by trial and error?

i don't want to keep on going back there and i certainly would not want to do damage to the car. shouldn't the people at tempe tyres know if the rims will fit straight on without any problems. also what about the tyre pressure monitor does anyone know if they will still work. again the sales person said it should not be a problem, but the thing is i am not keen on experimenting on my tig especially when i am paying thousands to fit new alloys!

i have read all the threads here but still confused as to which after market alloys actually fit without any problems and the need for spacers. please, what are the exact specs of the 18" optional tig rims so that i can quote them to the salesperson and sharkie can you please explain what the spacers are for even if the replica rim is supposedly the correct size (512).

i live 15 minutes away so i actually popped in to see them and they can fit the rims as well, so i wont need to fit them on myself.

Arctra
18-06-2009, 06:49 AM
<snip> also what about the tyre pressure monitor does anyone know if they will still work. again the sales person said it should not be a problem, but the thing is i am not keen on experimenting on my tig especially when i am paying thousands to fit new alloys!<snip>

Yes, your tyre pressure monitor will still work as it's based on the rotation speed / circumference of the wheel changing in relation to the other tyres. So it's not actually a sensor in the rim. Once you have the new rims, reset the TPMS and u'll be right.

team_v
18-06-2009, 06:49 AM
i have read all the threads here but still confused as to which after market alloys actually fit without any problems and the need for spacers. please, what are the exact specs of the 18" optional tig rims so that i can quote them to the salesperson and sharkie can you please explain what the spacers are for even if the replica rim is supposedly the correct size (512).

I did a quick search and fond the VW specs for the Davenport wheels (OEM 18")

Wheel size: 7J x 18, ET43, LK 5/112
Tyre size: 235/50 R18

So if you do those specs for the R32 wheels you should be okay.
A spacer from memory is used by attaching on the inside of the wheel to push it out further, allowing it to clear the suspension and brake setup.
It is used for putting lower offset wheels on bigger offset cars.

cmrtig
18-06-2009, 07:31 AM
thanks again guys. i will go in there in the next few days with the info. you provided and post an update and i am really hoping to get those R32s on my tig.

Sharkie
18-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I did a quick search and fond the VW specs for the Davenport wheels (OEM 18")

Wheel size: 7J x 18, ET43, LK 5/112
Tyre size: 235/50 R18

Thanks Mate .... :biggrin::biggrin: ET 43 !!!!!!!

Means most 18" replicas out there will fit as they are either ET40 or ET42 ....... (and so will mine)

I'm ecstatic to say the least ...... :biggrin::biggrin:

Simon ... take note ....

Sharkie
18-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Some info on spacers here ....

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/trak/

Speak to GTI_Dave, he'd get it in if you need it ...

cmrtig
18-06-2009, 10:34 AM
i just went in there and they said the R36 replicas are et45, but he assured me that 2mm diff will not make any difference and it should be fine. also it is an extra $500 for p6s over the kuhmo's. what do you think guys, will et45 be ok and is it worth $2000 with the p6s or stick to the kuhmos, assuming it is okay in the first place.

team_v
18-06-2009, 10:41 AM
ET45 should be fine.
It just means the new wheels will poke out 2mm more than the OEM 18's.
The Tig guards are huge though so it shouldn't make a difference to the drivability of the car.

I cannot say what the tyres are like, it depends what you want and how much you are willing to pay.

Pullstarter
18-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks Mate .... :biggrin::biggrin: ET 43 !!!!!!!

Means most 18" replicas out there will fit as they are either ET40 or ET42 ....... (and so will mine)

I'm ecstatic to say the least ...... :biggrin::biggrin:

Simon ... take note ....

Note taken, also happy :)

What Kumhos are they quoting you on? I'm probably going to go with the Kumho Ecsta SPT KU31, from everything I read its a great tyre.

clip
18-06-2009, 05:52 PM
If it were me I'd go the P6's without blinking.

Pullstarter
18-06-2009, 06:03 PM
If it were me I'd go the P6's without blinking.

You have too much money tho :nana: :biggrin:

clip
18-06-2009, 06:21 PM
You have too much money tho :nana: :biggrin:

lol, not if you saw the house that I lived in :eek:

cmrtig
18-06-2009, 10:46 PM
i decided to buy the davenports given the issues with insurance and so on if the rims are not specifically made for the car. only $2000, but worth it. i did get the tyres from tempe for about $310 each for the P6000. the p6s don't come in 235/50R18. yes i think the khumos they have are ecstas. this set up is 1 grand more than the replicas with the pirellis but this way vw will install and there is a sensor on the rims which will need to be swapped over. so for about $1000 extra i have original vw rims, which by the way look great and a piece of mind that all will be installed to spec.

STV4SYT
18-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Or keep an eye out on ebay, a mate sold some genuine 09 R32 wheels last week on ebay for about $800 i think in the end (no tyres)

Sanman
18-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I suppose this is the time to remind people about insurance:
Buy the VW OEM 18" rims then its an option.
Buy Chinese RS4 or RS6 copies then its a modified vehicle.
Check with your insurance company before you decide.
But I really love the RS4s